Not so random thoughts on apartments

Started by Ghost, April 14, 2010, 03:09:49 PM

Quote from: Cutthroat on April 15, 2010, 12:09:24 PM
Oops, I hadn't thought about moving. 2/city is pretty good, yep. One worldwide apartment is not going to be the best way to accommodate traveling PCs.

I thought you were talking about the 2 people per apartment, which is lame if you ask me.
Though moving to bigger apartments if you want a warehouse seems a good idea.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: Ghost on April 15, 2010, 01:20:19 PM
i dont understand why it is 2 per city instead of 1 per city?

what do you mean moving?

Say you have an apartment in Building A. You want to move to an apartment in Building B, for whatever reason (maybe it's nicer, or you're getting robbed, whatever). It's easiest to do this while renting Building A, so you can get all your furniture moved from A to B. But with only one apartment available to you, you'd have to wait until the lease on Building A runs out, which means you'll have the furniture you wanted to move to Building B behind locked doors. With two apartments available to you, you'll be able to move furniture from your old place to your new place.

I thought you were talking about the 2 people per apartment, which is lame if you ask me.

No, people should be able to pack into a single apartment as much as they like.

Moved all of these from "Random Armageddon Thoughts" because they lost their randomness.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

By the way, we are discussing limiting the number of apartments a single person can rent, so for the three of you who have 4 apartments apiece, and the three of you that have 3 apartments apiece, you might want to start thinking about which ones you want to keep.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: Cutthroat on April 15, 2010, 01:23:58 PM

No, people should be able to pack into a single apartment as much as they like.

Why is it like this anyway? I found it rather silly!

Pfft! Riot lets fix this!

April 15, 2010, 01:57:20 PM #30 Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:44:25 PM by BlackMagic0
Quote from: Vanth on April 15, 2010, 01:47:20 PM
By the way, we are discussing limiting the number of apartments a single person can rent, so for the three of you who have 4 apartments apiece, and the three of you that have 3 apartments apiece, you might want to start thinking about which ones you want to keep.

Woah.. Are folks that have 3-4 apartments?! One PC?! No wonder every time they are all taken!!
Haha..

stuff that makes sense
Quote from: spawnloser on April 15, 2010, 01:21:06 PM
stuff that makes sense

then maybe you should not be able to renew your rent in an apartment if you have more than lets say 50 days on another?

you think that would be feasible?
some of my posts are serious stuff

Say you have an apartment in Building A. You want to move to an apartment in Building B, for whatever reason (maybe it's nicer, or you're getting robbed, whatever). It's easiest to do this while renting Building A, so you can get all your furniture moved from A to B. But with only one apartment available to you, you'd have to wait until the lease on Building A runs out, which means you'll have the furniture you wanted to move to Building B behind locked doors. With two apartments available to you, you'll be able to move furniture from your old place to your new place.

One of my favorite memories is helping to move a clanmate on my very very very very first PC.

The something, something dwarf picks up a large stone bed.

The dusty, rugged-looking half-elf's jaw drops, and he strains to lift a stained agafari dresser.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

Glad there will be a limit on the number of renting apartments.  Renting more than two is just kinda rude to the rest of the playerbase, I think.
"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."

>:(
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Ghost on April 15, 2010, 02:15:00 PM
stuff that makes sense
Quote from: spawnloser on April 15, 2010, 01:21:06 PM
stuff that makes sense

then maybe you should not be able to renew your rent in an apartment if you have more than lets say 50 days on another?

you think that would be feasible?

OOh, Ghost. I like this idea.

Musashi: Put whatever label on me you want, or generalize if you like. Any check on the record of my posting will show that I'm NOT generally negative, and usually DO wait with regards to the whole changes thing before I make any decisions... and I can't think of the last time I've spoken out against ones I didn't like. And yes, there HAVE been more than one. I wasn't being overdramatic, I was being cranky, and there was a disclaimer saying I was being cranky, so you can skip past it if that's not your bag.

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on April 14, 2010, 04:29:20 PM
Apartments aren't warehouses.  Warehouses are warehouses.

Ah yes, but until it becomes as easy to get a warehouse to use for warehouse purposes as it is to make a crafter who's going to need a warehouse worth of space for it, people are going to keep using apartments for that purpose.

Cutthroat: I hope it gets cut down to one per city also for apartments. As to work and interaction going hand in hand, that would be ideal, but largely isn't the case.

For what it's worth: I don't even HAVE an apartment in game at the moment, so it's really not affecting me personally.

*shrug*
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I think the only people this will affect, really, are stonecrafters--because their raw materials are so f'ing heavy.

Won't somebody please think of the stonecrafters?  :'(

Real merchants...ha. You already have dozens of warehouses as a real merchant:  they're called "shops."

I'm glad you're cutting the number, Vanth + staff.  Real glad.

Well if someone does something about communal crafting spaces, this might help, Synth, no?
"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."

Quote from: Sinna on April 15, 2010, 05:31:56 PM
Well if someone does something about communal crafting spaces, this might help, Synth, no?

I knew it was all a communist plot.

Quote from: Synthesis on April 15, 2010, 05:20:55 PM
I think the only people this will affect, really, are stonecrafters--because their raw materials are so f'ing heavy.

Won't somebody please think of the stonecrafters?  :'(

Real merchants...ha. You already have dozens of warehouses as a real merchant:  they're called "shops."

I think it's kinda silly that apartment object limits are based on weight....

I wish there was a size dimension code for all objects. T-T

April 15, 2010, 05:45:09 PM #41 Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:47:28 PM by Synthesis
I'm just a little irritated because...maybe I have a bunch of friends...and maybe I want to make sure they live well...but maybe I also want to keep an eye on what they're up to...and maybe I don't want them to know about each other.

'cuz I'm shady like that, son

You can always give them the coins to rent their own places.
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on April 15, 2010, 05:50:43 PM

But then I can't drop by and make sure they're not mudsexing somebody else.

... I guess this makes burglar the new 'city ranger'.

But in all seriousness: I'm not meaning to be snarky today, I'm really not. Perhaps wishing up would be in order here, Syn? No clue how effective it would be, but I'm sure there's workarounds.

But then they'll just spend it on wine and keep begging on the street corner!

p.s.
Syn, just make them give you a key when you first give them the sid.

Quote from: Agent_137 on April 15, 2010, 05:56:55 PM

But then they'll just spend it on wine and keep begging on the street corner!

p.s.
Syn, just make them give you a key when you first give them the sid.

True...but how is that any different than me renting the place directly, hmmmmm?

Quote from: Sinna on April 15, 2010, 03:39:04 PM
Glad there will be a limit on the number of renting apartments.  Renting more than two is just kinda rude to the rest of the playerbase, I think.

Honestly this sounds like an IC problem that should be dealt ICly.

Quote from: Synthesis on April 15, 2010, 06:06:28 PM

True...but how is that any different than me renting the place directly, hmmmmm?

I got a better idea. Hire a spy.

Quote from: Agent_137 on April 15, 2010, 07:37:45 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on April 15, 2010, 06:06:28 PM

I got a better idea. Hire a spy.

Hire spies to spy on my spies? Now instead of cornering the apartment market, I'm cornering the burglar market.  :-\