Not so random thoughts on apartments

Started by Ghost, April 14, 2010, 03:09:49 PM

Quote from: Vanth on April 15, 2010, 01:47:20 PM
By the way, we are discussing limiting the number of apartments a single person can rent, so for the three of you who have 4 apartments apiece, and the three of you that have 3 apartments apiece, you might want to start thinking about which ones you want to keep.

When you say the people who "have" apartments, are you referring to primary renters, or anyone with access? Because, I might be the roommate to a primary renter on one apartment in every building in the game, but as a non-primary renter, I would have no control over who I'm stuck with. The only thing I'd have access to is the place itself, and the ability to renew the rent. And even that gets taken away if the primary renter types "rent with none."

So I hope you mean the primary renter - I'd hate to have to decide if I want my own 1-room cheapo place, OR share the luxury suite with a guy who might or might not want me there next week.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on April 15, 2010, 12:41:10 PM
Am I the only person who read Vanth's most recent post in the weight limit announcement thread and thought, "That person is totally going to get robbed now"?  Along with every other person's apartment they break into trying to find that one, of course. ;D

I totally had that thought, didn't want to admit it.
"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."

Realistic? Maybe.

But I think this unnecessarily punishes independent merchants.

And imho, the reasoning behind the warehousing storage policy is dumb. If there was a demand for storage space, there would be someone providing storage space. It strikes me as an IC excuse for more ooc concerns.

The corruption bit could be handled icly. I could totally see a Templar entering an warehouse, on the premise of contraband. Only to swipe that merchant's entire stock of ivory fellators for personal use.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I know how we can fix the apartment problem and incidentally a couple other issues.  Please provide feedback.

1.  Give pc's the chance to abandon an apartment so they can move into another one.
2.  Limit code so that a PC can rent only 1 Apartment in a city at any given time.

It seems to be easy enough to code and it will stop hoarding and moving.
Malifaxis has UBER board skills

In fact, to expand on this, I think there should be a central apartment person you can go to, ie a representative of nenyuk in every city that has apartments and he has a list of ALL apartment available and their location and you can rent from him etc...

Quote from: ianmartin on April 16, 2010, 11:05:42 AM
I know how we can fix the apartment problem and incidentally a couple other issues.  Please provide feedback.

1.  Give pc's the chance to abandon an apartment so they can move into another one.
2.  Limit code so that a PC can rent only 1 Apartment in a city at any given time.

It seems to be easy enough to code and it will stop hoarding and moving.

It's been suggested already. The problem, is that if you abandon one, and you're only allowed to have one at a time, then by the time you get to the rental agent to rent the one you want, it might already be rented. And now you're stuck holding your one big box full of stuff, that you can't walk around with, and no place to put it.

Also, it still doesn't prevent people from allowing roommates who are already roommates in another building, PLUS renting their own place.

And about that Nenyuk..

what happens when that Nenyuk's player gets burned out and never logs in anymore..or doesn't play when you play, so you -never- have the opportunity to interact with him, -never- get to rent an apartment for months and months at a time...

Not a bad idea at all.

This is all part of another discussion where these ideas have already been brought up.  You can find the thread here:  http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,38532.0/topicseen.html

To comment directly on this idea, however.  No to limit of 1.  People move.  Imagine the metagaming workarounds that people would have to come up with if they were only allowed 1 apartment per city and they want to move from one to another.  I am SO against a limit of 1 for this reason and this reason alone, playability and OOC hassles that cause unrealistic actions.

Giving people the ability to abandon an apartment?  Sure, why not?  So long as they do not get their coin refunded, I'm fine with this.

Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Spawnloser, Yes, I like the idea of no refund, but perhaps the one agent in question should be an npc, maybe have all apartment keepers have this function so you don't get stuck schlepping your stuff.

1.  Make it so that when you abandon your apartment, it sets your time remaining to 2 days or whatever have you
2.  All NPC apartment rental type people have the functionality to rent to ALL apartment complexes.

This still doesn't address the problem, ianmartin. Here's the situation - that I run into all the time.

I'm at the building in Allanak, on Stonecarver's. I like the place but I've been wanting one near Trader's for a long time and keep watching to see if it opens up. Finally, there's a vacancy.

So I walk back to my old place and grab all my shit. I abandon it..even though I had -just- renewed the rent.

I had checked before leaving my old place and the rental agent assures me the new place is still vacant. So I go to the new place..
and go to rent it..
and someone already did, while I was walking from point A to point B, because I wasn't the only one with that idea and they were just quicker.

So NOW..I have to go BACK to my old place, renew the rent AGAIN..just to keep the place I was hoping not to be stuck with, again.

Plus, I just spent probably a good 2 hours of login time doing nothing but frustrating bullshit.

The dude that lists all the places available also allows you to rent it - so Lizzie's problem doesn't exist.
When you abandon, perhaps you get 2 IC days to get your stuff out.

Done.

If all the guards at the apartment did was _guard_ and take/give keys this would be a good solution.

failing that, as i suggested earlier in another thread

if you are not given the option to renew your rent while having another apartment with rent time > 50 days the problem may be solved

though you wont be needing a central dude to coordinate that the current apartment code would suffice
some of my posts are serious stuff

Merged another thread into this one.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

In response to Lizzie

It WILL work if the flag that is triggered when you abandoned your apartment set it that you do NOT currently have an apartment.

for example.

Abandon apartment:  --> Apartment = false
Rent Apartment:  --> If apartmentrent = true then can't rent
Rent Apartment: -->  If apartmentrent = false then can rent.

Something like that.  I haven't seen diku code in forever.

Quote from: ianmartin on April 16, 2010, 12:00:15 PM
In response to Lizzie

It WILL work if the flag that is triggered when you abandoned your apartment set it that you do NOT currently have an apartment.

for example.

Abandon apartment:  --> Apartment = false
Rent Apartment:  --> If apartmentrent = true then can't rent
Rent Apartment: -->  If apartmentrent = false then can rent.

Something like that.  I haven't seen diku code in forever.

I don't think this is even -remotely- enough of a problem to do all this stuff for.

There are already PLENTY of available, vacant apartments, in both Tuluk and Allanak. The fact that you don't WANT to live in those available apartments is irrelevent. There's no shortage, and currently you can rent in more than one building at a time..and people do rent in more than one building at a time, and there are STILL vacancies in each city.

Now, if your issue is that you feel the available apartments aren't secure enough, I recommend you lodge a complaint IC with your local templarate, and your local gang-o-thieves-who-have-a-protection-racket-going.

Yeah, I don't understand what the big deal is, when there are plenty of apartments available (in Allanak, at least).
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

People expect luxury. They don't want to live cheaply, which is dumb.

Quote from: Saellyn on June 02, 2010, 01:35:27 PM
People expect luxury. They don't want to live cheaply, which is dumb.
Plenty IC.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Listen here, punk...

You are not a Noble. Buy the trashy apartment and get a job scraping dung to pay for it!

And then pay me half for protection (;

I don't think well-paid Merchants should be slumming it.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on June 02, 2010, 02:47:23 PM

Then don't, I am sure you can rent a compound/nice apartment you just have to figure it out ICly is all.

Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Quote from: shadeoux on June 02, 2010, 03:22:28 PM

Then don't, I am sure you can rent a compound/nice apartment you just have to figure it out ICly is all.

I was being disagreementalative with saellyn. Get of out my way.

Quote from: Is Friday on June 02, 2010, 03:24:50 PM

Don't be disagreementalative with me, punk! You slum it like the sleezy merchant you are! Not EVERYBODY gets to wear silks like Lord Templar Fancyshmancypants.

Quote from: Saellyn on June 02, 2010, 06:23:40 PM
Quote from: Is Friday on June 02, 2010, 03:24:50 PM

Don't be disagreementalative with me, punk! You slum it like the sleezy merchant you are! Not EVERYBODY gets to wear silks like Lord Templar Fancyshmancypants.
Unless it's IC for everybody to wear silks.