Not so random thoughts on apartments

Started by Ghost, April 14, 2010, 03:09:49 PM

i sense there will be a lot of tables and beds open for sale soon
some of my posts are serious stuff

Why do I think characters weren't thinking "You know, a nice tile-topped table will go nice in here..."  but rather the player going "How can I get more shit in here?"
Feel skeptical and a little grumpy.
"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."

Quote from: Ghost on April 14, 2010, 03:09:49 PM

If you know what I mean!  Wink wink!  Nudge nudge!
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Ghost on April 14, 2010, 03:09:49 PM

What's more likely to happen is that all the independent crafters who were saving raw materials up for special orders by PCs will spend a few days madly spamcrafting it all and dumping it into shops so it doesn't just get zorched.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I'd also like to point out that the reduction in apartment size is quite annoying when taken in the context of how the crafting system works.

Unless you already have a gigantic compilation of crafting recipes, you basically have to keep one of everything you find around in your apartment, so you can play the Mix-and-Match Find the Hidden Recipe game.

I mean, fortunately -I- can just do a ctrl-f real quick and search my database because I took the time to record pretty much everything I've crafted over the years, but I'm sure there are many players out there who don't have that particular luxury.

And honestly:  what's the big farking deal about storing shit in your apartment, anyway?  It -can't- be anything particularly useful, or the burglars would've removed it already.

Apartments aren't warehouses.  Warehouses are warehouses.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I think there should be a general "crafter sit-in" where everyone with a subclass crafting skill sits in the local tavern for the next few days and crafts all the stuff they now need to get rid of.

April 14, 2010, 05:24:27 PM #7 Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:33:14 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: Aaron Goulet on April 14, 2010, 04:29:20 PM
Apartments aren't warehouses.  Warehouses are warehouses.

That's exactly what they are in Armageddon. It's not like people buy apartments to sleep more.

Edit: I was late to this one, wasn't I?

Quote from: Sinna on April 14, 2010, 03:40:12 PM
Why do I think characters weren't thinking "You know, a nice tile-topped table will go nice in here..."  but rather the player going "How can I get more shit in here?"
Feel skeptical and a little grumpy.

As he thoughtfully thumbs at his scraggly beard, you say, in sirihish:
                       "Now, how can ah get more shit in 'ere?"
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

Can't help throwing a little snark in this morning, so here it is:

People are going to keep using their apartments for warehouses. All this means is that they fit less.

Which means that those people will be renting more apartments for more storage.

And as an aside: I feel like this is a poor fix. I really, really do. Feels like arm is turning into 'clan and ranger mud!' where if you want to get by without spending most of your time logged in working rather than interacting you need to join a clan, and if you want to be able to go when you need to, you need to play a ranger.

The merchant guild has little enough going for it with independent pcs. This is just another nerf that's going to fuck them.

Not like it matters much.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

People just need to get out of the habit of storing every single thing they make that they will never, ever sell. With my last merchant in Kadius I went through the storage bins which were full PC made crap and junked 90% of it. Nobody ever noticed it was gone.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Quote from: AmandaGreathousePeople are going to keep using their apartments for warehouses. All this means is that they fit less.
It means apartments will fit the amount of stuff that they are supposed to. I don't think there's a reason to worry unless oversized things have been in your room for a long time.

QuoteWhich means that those people will be renting more apartments for more storage.
Call me a sucker, but I wish people could only get one apartment per city. What is currently possible is a bit silly for a variety of IC and OOC reasons.

QuoteAnd as an aside: I feel like this is a poor fix. I really, really do. Feels like arm is turning into 'clan and ranger mud!' where if you want to get by without spending most of your time logged in working rather than interacting you need to join a clan, and if you want to be able to go when you need to, you need to play a ranger.

The merchant guild has little enough going for it with independent pcs. This is just another nerf that's going to fuck them.
I can see how one might see it that way, but how was the game supposed to be designed in the first place? Indies are by definition supposed to have a harder time in life than clanned people. Rangers are supposed to be better at going out than everyone else. And lastly, work and interaction can go (one might argue, -should- go) hand-in-hand.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on April 15, 2010, 09:22:40 AM
Can't help throwing a little snark in this morning, so here it is:

People are going to keep using their apartments for warehouses. All this means is that they fit less.

Which means that those people will be renting more apartments for more storage.

And as an aside: I feel like this is a poor fix. I really, really do. Feels like arm is turning into 'clan and ranger mud!' where if you want to get by without spending most of your time logged in working rather than interacting you need to join a clan, and if you want to be able to go when you need to, you need to play a ranger.

Not like it matters much.

People should probably ease up on complaining about changes that are already going in and try to adapt to them instead of being all health care reform republician about it. Run with it and see what's actually happening with its implementation first at least, because staff sees more of the picture than we do.

Merchants can make more than enough money without storing lots of junk in their apartment beyond its capacity limit. Even newbie indie merchants who don't know any crafting recipies.

People just get so over dramatic.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

one apartment per city is a viable option

Why not just 1 apartment period? Since nenyuk is running all of them I mean.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

some people travel between cities

dont be harsh

Quote from: Ashes on April 15, 2010, 02:00:21 AM
I've never rented an apartment, but I would totally use it to mudsex.

Up 'til now I've just been using back alleys and out-of-the-way rooms.
That's hardcore.  ;)
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Maybe limit apartments to players with karma?

Limiting to 1 worldwide is too harsh, if you ask me.

Limiting to 2 per city would be fine, actually.  People have to move and it's best done while one apartment still has some rent on it.

Limiting it to only players with karma?  There was a 4 karma role in game that bragged about how much she used to make at the apartment lottery.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Oops, I hadn't thought about moving. 2/city is pretty good, yep. One worldwide apartment is not going to be the best way to accommodate traveling PCs.

Two per city is also good so that the Scarlet Pimpernel can have his fancy apartment where he sips wine with nobles and his dingy apartment where he makes his plans with the secret society his trusted compatriots (who never guess his true identity, well, oh yeah, except for the mdesc thing).
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Am I the only person who read Vanth's most recent post in the weight limit announcement thread and thought, "That person is totally going to get robbed now"?  Along with every other person's apartment they break into trying to find that one, of course. ;D
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on April 15, 2010, 12:41:10 PM
Am I the only person who read Vanth's most recent post in the weight limit announcement thread and thought, "That person is totally going to get robbed now"?  Along with every other person's apartment they break into trying to find that one, of course. ;D

I thought, "Wow, some players were treating this as if the sky was falling and this room appears to have 9 things you can put stuff in or on."

But yours is an interesting thought too.
A human cut-throat's eyes shift from one side to the other.

i dont understand why it is 2 per city instead of 1 per city?

what do you mean moving?

Moving from a crappy apartment into a better one when it becomes available?  People do this.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.