Is it ok to use this ic?

Started by GithMaster, June 20, 2012, 02:12:16 PM

Someone uses talk instead of psi, revealing something or other. Then they   oocly say ignore that, was supposed to be a way. Is it ok for me to use it anyway?

I would say it's up to you -but-, it was an OOC mistake and they asked you to ignore it as such. ICly they could've messed up and you could choose to respond as if it were an IC mistake. I personally wouldn't simply because they caught their mistake and asked you to treat it as such. They decided not to treat their OOC mistake as an IC one by telling you it was such and asking that you ignore it. If they hadn't done so, then I would treat it as an IC mistake.
It's a tough one because there are legitimate arguments for either case.

They noticed when I pointed it out.

If they ask you to ignore it OOC, then you should ignore it.

Sometimes it feels cheap, but it's better to play nice than drag an OOC mistake into the game and cause hard feelings all around.

I say it's like a freudian slip and IC in my opinion.

The question isn't whether the person should have kept it IC, the question is whether the OP should go against that player's request to treat it as an OOC mistake.

In my opinion, the answer is to respect that player's wishes, regardless of whether you think it should have been kept IC.

Quote from: Delirium on June 20, 2012, 02:27:54 PM
The question isn't whether the person should have kept it IC, the question is whether the OP should go against that player's request to treat it as an OOC mistake.

In my opinion, the answer is to respect that player's wishes, regardless of whether you think it should have been kept IC.

That's how I personally would handle it.

I agree with Delirium, but I love when players make mistakes and roll with it in game.

However, it's generally in everyone's best interest to respect players' wishes, and always give others the benefit of the doubt.

Good intentions don't count. Did I  intend to die because I wasn't wieldin a weapon? No, but it happens.People make mistakes based on being tired  their  character wouldn't all the time. Someone was waying  me mud sexy things for thirty minutes and I never corrected them even though I was the wrong person because it was amusing. They apologized but didn't ask for it to be oocly removed. They screwed up, deal. Surprised they would even ask.

I think that in this situation the choice is yours. You are not obligated to offer a do-over.

June 20, 2012, 03:03:09 PM #10 Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:04:46 PM by Morrolan
If something is clearly a mistake, like:

>say psi Krathdamn templar messing with me, send help!

...then I would say assume it is an OOC mistake unless the player goes with it.

Especially, since on some keyboards, the apostrophe is right in front of the enter key.

In other words, look for the person who made the mistake's lead. Some will push bravely on:

Quote"Sorry, Lord Templar Hardnose, I just think out loud when I am nervous."

Some will realize that their character does not make mistakes like that:
QuoteOOC Please ignore that. Move along. Nothing happened. These are not the stumps you are looking for. *waves hand*

And, believe it or not, some players will wait to see if anyone else is going to take it IC, just to throw caution to the wind.

My guiding principle is in these situations is:

According to what I know, which choice is best for the game as a whole and the story we are telling?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Offer a free do over? No, you're certainly not obligated. But since the player asked for this particular incident to be ignored, I would respect their wishes. I also urge them not to make a habit of correcting things like this, because mistakes and ineptitude add a lot of flavor to the world and your character. I've had a couple of fun instances of accidentally blathering out loud about something and having to deal with the consequences.

Edit: Wait, apostrophe activates Psi? How have I not already blundered onto that.

Apostrophes are a shortcut for "say"

'psi Help I'm being repressed
is the same as
say psi Help I'm being repressed
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

I don't like the idea of being put in a situation like this where I would then know something sensitive and because of a slip up have to ignore it all because of an OOC request.  There are plenty of situations where OOC mistakes happen and people play along with it.

If you say something on accident which was meant for PSI then you, and your character just messed up in my opinion.  Role with it and don't put the person or multiple people in that spot and ask for an OOC do-over.  When does the OOC do-over request stop?  When it is a legit thing to do and when isn't it?

Do you roleplay out backstabbing the wrong person because you didn't notice there were 2.amos in the room?  Do you flee, come back and go, "Hey, everyone, ignore that backstab!"?

I have always rolled with my mistakes and I have never once asked for OOC do-overs and I think it worked out fine and even opened up some interesting stories because of it.

All that being said I would likely respect the person's OOC wishes to have it ignored, but I would feel uncomfortable in doing so and feel like a burden has been placed upon me when it shouldn't be...

I would not be *happy* about being asked to ignore it, because I think things like that are super fun and enjoyable (I sometimes accidentally psi thinks, or psi talks or say psis, or what-have-you, and it's always led to more fun stuff, not less), but ultimately we are all here to have a mutually enjoyable time playing with everyone else, so if another player asks you to ignore it.. ignore it.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

I don't think the player that made the mistake should put you in that position.  Characters have flaws and make mistakes and as we are our Characters acting brain our mistake is their mistake.  People say their thinks irl and so I don't see how it would be different saying a psi by accident.  I have psi'ed the wrong person and said things I meant to psi.  That kind of mistake should be rolled with and if it is that important that is screws everything up, you should be more careful.  Treat it as it is.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Sometimes, I accidentally press the key combination to have MUSHclient treat everything I type as a 'say' right before I psi, think, emote, backstab, whatever.

Especially since I'm not sure what the key combination is and sometimes have to reconnect, er, it's an OOC accident. (In the 'force of nature' sense in this case.) Treat it that way.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on June 20, 2012, 02:26:00 PM
I say it's like a freudian slip and IC in my opinion.

Agreed. It's just like think and say.  It's cheap to say OOC Please ignore those kind of mistakes.

I remember telling some noble something or other that I thought he was a pain in the ass when I meant to think it.  The ensuing situation was much more interesting.

June 20, 2012, 09:31:50 PM #19 Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:38:02 PM by RogueGunslinger
There's honestly nothing more frustrating in this game than your character paying for your own OOC typo or mistake. It's something noobies constantly complain about when referencing in-game cultural norms like bowing to templars and the often times harsh code. (My character really wouldn't walk for miles into the waste after falling off his mount, for example, something that's easy for a noobie to miss). If it's something obvious like a "say psi Damn this dude's an idiot" you should ALWAYS treat it as OOC UNLESS the player roleplays it as an IC mistake.

There too many situations where your character may die for your own mistakes, when he never would have done such a thing. A lot of these situations you can do nothing about. This is not one of them. I really doubt we should allow for more of these situations, against a players wishes.

Give the player the benifit of the doubt if they ask. If you personally can't handle knowing the truth behind someones character on an OOC level, without letting it bleed into the IC and making them pay for the mistake; then you're a very weak roleplayer.

I think two things here:

Yes, if you are asked to ignore something OOC that is just silly (someone walking for miles through the desert instead of mounting their kank - fine.  Seriously, though, that can be played out and if the noob says "Oh, didn't know about the mount command" then drop the RP.  On the other hand, it is an RP opportunity you are opening for the newb.

Example: My first character didn't have boots on. Walked all over.  Some HG guard asked me why I wasn't wearing boots and aren't my feet hot.  He could have chalked it up to a newb mistake (since it was an animated guard and the Imm certainly knew it was my first character) but didn't.  Scene ensued.

If your character suddenly stands up and kisses a templar out of the blue or adjusts the dark-cloaked figure's cloak or whatever, sure seems reasonable to OOC ignore those.  On the other hand, having those RP'd out also makes for great scenes.  Weak is the player (to use RGS's phrasing) who can't roll with their OOC mistakes.

Personally, I think accidentally kissing a templar might be an AWESOME scene.  What are you really afraid of?  Dying?  Seriously?

Likewise, OOC ignore PSI/THINK that was SAID is the easy way out.  It doesn't generate more twists/turns/interesting situations. It just lets that weak RPer off the hook.  Sure, consider the player's request to keep it OOC.  But don't feel you have to.  I certainly woudn't expect it. 

The game certainly understands this.  If I typo a command an accidentally trigger a big ass fireball in the middle of a tavern (and things like this have happened) do you think the guards and other players are going to be understandable if you say - oh, sorry, my mistake.  I'm not a magicker - I'm a noble's pet administrator.
The game could be coded to ask if you if you are SURE you want to cast your magick spell in a tavern - but it doesn't.  You just do it.  You could even have something like a mercy switch for it.  But we don't. 

What happens in game, happens in game with few exceptions.

Besides.  Playing with characters that never slip up or make mistakes is boring in the extreme. 

June 21, 2012, 11:52:28 AM #21 Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:01:16 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: DustMight on June 21, 2012, 11:16:24 AM
Weak is the player (to use RGS's phrasing) who can't roll with their OOC mistakes.

Uhh. Not wanting to do something doesn't mean you're incapable of doing it. I'm talking about things that would be completely unfathomable for a character to do. It's not weak to make a decision that you don't want your character to do something he wouldn't do. You're not a weak roleplayer if you don't want to partake in roleplay that just simply doesn't make sense.

Personally, I think accidentally kissing a templar might be an AWESOME scene.  What are you really afraid of?  Dying?  Seriously?

Kissing a templar? I'm talking about ousting yourself as a Northron spy after years (sometimes real life years) of subterfuge in front of a Southern templar. Bam. Suddenly your character and all that work is dead, because you accidentally hit the comma key while waying your boss. Can you make the situation fun? Sure. But that doesn't somehow trump years of hard work to bring a plan to fruition, only to have it crashing down by one single typo. It's a shitty situation.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't roll with mistakes. I'm saying if someone asks you to ignore it. Then ignore it.

Quote from: DustMight on June 21, 2012, 11:16:24 AM
If your character suddenly stands up and kisses a templar out of the blue or adjusts the dark-cloaked figure's cloak or whatever, sure seems reasonable to OOC ignore those.  On the other hand, having those RP'd out also makes for great scenes.  Weak is the player (to use RGS's phrasing) who can't roll with their OOC mistakes.

Woah. No way!

I completely agree that rolling with OOC mistakes can be fun, and I usually choose to in most circumstances. But it's got to be slightly realistic. An intended psi slipping out as words...that makes sense. Walking around with no boots...fine. Contacting the wrong person...and a whole host of other slip ups...are slip ups that your character, as well as you, could easily make.

But slip ups that you make...that there is no chance your character would make...should definitely be ignored and passed off as an OOC mistake by other players. Kissing a templar...no. Flicking the corner of the guy in the black cape instead of flicking the corner of your black cape...no...randomly sitting on the floor....no...If your character isn't a complete nutter or a total idiot...then OOC mistakes that would imply them to be such should be respected as OOC mistakes.

This kind of stuff happens all the time, and mostly players just ignore it - because it happens to all of us.

A psi spoken in conversation however, I'd jump all over that. Especially if it was tasty sekret info. Or rude. Taking that OOC is a bit lame.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 21, 2012, 11:52:28 AM

Kissing a templar? I'm talking about ousting yourself as a Northron spy after years (sometimes real life years) of subterfuge in front of a Southern templar. Bam. Suddenly your character and all that work is dead, because you accidentally hit the comma key while waying your boss. Can you make the situation fun? Sure. But that doesn't somehow trump years of hard work to bring a plan to fruition, only to have it crashing down by one single typo. It's a shitty situation.

Even if you asked it to be ignored, in that case, the player behind the Templar would still know...and that's a hard thing to ignore for a player.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on June 21, 2012, 11:56:10 AM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 21, 2012, 11:52:28 AM

Even if you asked it to be ignored, in that case, the player behind the Templar would still know...and that's a hard thing to ignore for a player.

It's even harder to lose a character for a stupid mistake. Roleplaying your character differently than yourself is hard, I know. It takes a strong roleplayer to do it. I think it's a sign of someone who's experienced at the game when they can easily make their PC ignore things they know OOCly.