Is it ok to use this ic?

Started by GithMaster, June 20, 2012, 02:12:16 PM

Not the thread (or droid) I was looking for, but another take on this:

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,29980.0.html
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

It is jarring, unrealistic, and bad Rp to react to an obvious code typo (k not l, 'psi, etc.)

You're a jerk if you demand to keep it IC when asked not to.

In the end, people who have the whole OMG IT HAPPENED SO ILL REACT IC!!!! tend to be the types who want to 'win' the game, rather than tell stories.  The people who are a bit more chill tend to be the ones most interested in neat stories and Rp.  And, like Malifaxis said, if you start being a jerk OOCly, people just might start holding grudges against you.

Sure letting it slip into IC (in the example of talk not psi, or that sort of deal) is an option?  But there are so many things which are just completely unrealistic, and counter to your character's motivations/the way they'd actually act that the player sometimes forgets.  Walking around with a sparring weapon, holding a torch at high sun, kissing a templar, mistyping and hitting the wrong person in a sparring circle, all of those are very likel ynot actually happening, and if someone asks you to ignore it when they fix it?  You really should, pretty much end of story.  IF they roll with it, feel free to as well, but if not? Don't punish them IC, it's not realistic, engaging, or fun.

What if the OOC mistake was: I'm planning to kill Amos,  and Amos is sittin there in the room. How does one deal with that situation. You can say Sorry that was a mistell all day long, but Amos still knows your gonna try and off him?

Then you hope he's being played by someone responsible, and let the chips fall where they may.

Quote from: rocketman on June 22, 2012, 01:46:29 AM
What if the OOC mistake was: I'm planning to kill Amos,  and Amos is sittin there in the room. How does one deal with that situation. You can say Sorry that was a mistell all day long, but Amos still knows your gonna try and off him?

In that particular case, me personally I would rp that it was an ic mistake my character made, since it directly involves the other person. But, if you choose (being the one that made that mistake) to point out that it was ooc and ask it to be ignored, it's up to you. My only argument earlier is that, if I request that the mistake be treated as OOC (since it was OOC and was not something my character would do) that the other player respects that and rolls with it.

I try to RP out my OOC mistakes. I'll always respect someone when they misdirect a tell, or use the wrong keyword, or accidentally attack me instead of a target. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, because I want this game to be a fun and enjoyable experience for others. Taking an OOC mistake IC isn't fun for them, and is only fun for you. Whereas accepting their OOC excusal isn't ruining your fun.

Maybe I'm just too soft, I don't know, but I like to play with others how I want to be played with. I respect them. Our enjoyment of this game stems largely from our interactions with other players and while I will not begrudge the fact that many of you have had wonderful scenes because of these mess ups. But I also won't begrudge other players for wanting to forgo those scenes.

It's common courtesy. Be kind, rewind.

I'm on the side of rolling with whatever the player asks for. The only time this frustrates me is when they accidentally slip on something that doesn't matter and then try to get me to ignore it.

So-and-so sends you a telepathic message:
     "I really like your hair."

OOC: sorry mistell please ignore!

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

This happened to me once on something totally mundane, and I didn't hold a grudge or anything, I can't even remember who it was, but I did have a moment's pause of staring at my screen and thinking, really? There was no reason not to just go with it being a slightly dumb, embarrassing thing to say and then moving on:

"I really like your hair."

"... Uh, wait, sorry, I was thinking of someone else."

"Your hair's okay too, I guess."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

At least then my character could have ignored it/teased them/been offended/whatever on IC terms.

I wouldn't pass over someone's slip of a tongue, but if someone attacked the red robed templar instead of red haired stepchild and the POF templar wouldn't accept that it was a mistake, that it's player complaint worthy.

Is like to clarify that I've always honored people asking to ignore mistakes, but I don't expect anyone to extend the same to me, so I never ask.  I roll with them.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I feel it's unfair to burden players with an OOC take-back if you have a slip of the tongue, since they're the ones that are going to have to put all the effort in ignoring it (assuming it's something plot-related or personal).

I draw the line where things don't make sense in game. I think this judgement has to be made by the player who made the mistake and they need to be as objective as possible.

Quote from: spicemustflow on June 22, 2012, 05:16:44 AM
I wouldn't pass over someone's slip of a tongue, but if someone attacked the red robed templar instead of red haired stepchild and the POF templar wouldn't accept that it was a mistake, that it's player complaint worthy.

I suspect the outcome of the complaint would be something along the lines of "Them's the breaks.  Dead is dead.  Type more carefully in the future."

Protip:
http://www.daskeyboard.com/   - the only way to chop muthaf*ckers up with bone swords!

June 24, 2012, 09:55:40 AM #61 Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:42:23 AM by Bluefae
Quote from: DustMight on June 22, 2012, 07:54:09 AM
Quote from: spicemustflow on June 22, 2012, 05:16:44 AM

I suspect the outcome of the complaint would be something along the lines of "Them's the breaks.  Dead is dead.  Type more carefully in the future."

Having been in a (somewhat) similar situation but from the red-haired stepchild's perspective . . . I suspect you're right.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

June 24, 2012, 04:52:12 PM #62 Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:59:32 PM by maxid
Quote from: Spoon on June 22, 2012, 07:36:56 AM
I feel it's unfair to burden players with an OOC take-back if you have a slip of the tongue, since they're the ones that are going to have to put all the effort in ignoring it (assuming it's something plot-related or personal).

I draw the line where things don't make sense in game. I think this judgement has to be made by the player who made the mistake and they need to be as objective as possible.

The BURDEN of having to be a respectful person on an OOC level, instead of trying to win on the OOC level?  Or, what burden are you talking about?  

I agree if it's a silly mistake you should roll with it, but if the other guy asks me to ignore it, I've got a big enough IC/OOC divide to be able to keep a consistent character.  I do it with lots of things, locations of water, certain mobs, some of the ins and outs of culture depending on what citystate I lived in in the past, still-living pcs that outlive three to four of my own pcs, and whom I interact with across that many pcs, due to them being so incredibly mobile/wandery.  You're put into situations almost every day you log in where you have more OOC knowledge than you do IC knowledge.  You can hang with an ooc slipup, I'm guarantee it.

vvv Wisest man in the thread right here. vvv

I really find it difficult to understand what is such a big deal about pretending not to know something. This is a permadeath mud.

This is a mud where you can play a character who is part of a deeply secret magicker mushroom worshipping cult, bent on destruction of all kadius via infiltration into the house and awaiting the sign of the moon turning pink, where all of the Kadian blood children will be slain in the same day. And then a week later, playing a sponsored role Kadian overseer with a personality of a Mother hen who birthed two beautiful Kadian children and are complimenting her First Hunter who happens to be part of that very cult and a mentor of your own previous character.

If a player cannot separate OOC knowledge and IC knowledge, I find that very very troubling.

There was a situation at one point, where my character met some others in the middle of the desert and after 3-4 minutes of conversation, just ... attacked him. I dont remember what exactly I typed to mistype that, but that was pretty puzzling. And I 'did' ask oocly to ignore it. Went something like, ooc: I uhh ... dont know how to even explain that ICly. Please ignore? And they did just that. Any attempt at making it ICly, would've been ... weird for me. To be honest, I would've probably ended up storing, I would've felt so out of sync with a character. Only way I could explain it would be some types of ... bouts of aggression, or madness, or magicks, or whatever. All of that I could've portrayed easily, but none of that would've been in sync with how the character was.

My personal opinion. If you make an ooc mistake like that. "Do" spend a moment to figure out how to make it IC. Bad control over an element if you cast a spell, or being drunk, being tired and mixing up psi or say, or whatever. But ... if it feels jarring and weird and totally not how your character is. Ask oocly to ignore it.

Quote from: Dar on June 24, 2012, 06:18:09 PM
My personal opinion. If you make an ooc mistake like that. "Do" spend a moment to figure out how to make it IC. Bad control over an element if you cast a spell, or being drunk, being tired and mixing up psi or say, or whatever. But ... if it feels jarring and weird and totally not how your character is. Ask oocly to ignore it.

I think this a good general rule, Dar.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

June 25, 2012, 10:45:23 AM #65 Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:51:06 AM by Creslin
Quote from: maxid on June 21, 2012, 11:52:41 PM
It is jarring, unrealistic, and bad Rp to react to an obvious code typo (k not l, 'psi, etc.)

You're a jerk if you demand to keep it IC when asked not to.

Agreed, if it's an obvious mistake and you're asked OOCly to ignore it then you probably should...  :-[

Quote from: Dar on June 24, 2012, 06:18:09 PM

There's no blanket solution to problems like this. It really has to be taken on a case by case basis, sometimes you can roll with it and make it IC, some times it wouldn't make sense to do so. You just need to decide which category the situation falls under and react accordingly.

Someone once asked me and some others to ignore sekret magickal effects that were accidentally still left on while they were in a public place. Nope!

A say mistaken for a psi, well, the cat's out of the bag and that's easy to roll with ICly for everyone involved. Probably won't ignore that.

Mis-aimed tells, ludicrous "k" kisses, an out of the blue accidental attack that has no serious detrimental effects (murdering someone or hitting them with poison is serious)... I totally roll with an ooc ignore, or never treat them as IC to begin with. The point is, there's a gradient here. Some stuff just can't rightly be ignored, even if it was an accident.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on June 26, 2012, 10:04:55 PM
Someone once asked me and some others to ignore sekret magickal effects that were accidentally still left on while they were in a public place. Nope!

A say mistaken for a psi, well, the cat's out of the bag and that's easy to roll with ICly for everyone involved. Probably won't ignore that.

Mis-aimed tells, ludicrous "k" kisses, an out of the blue accidental attack that has no serious detrimental effects (murdering someone or hitting them with poison is serious)... I totally roll with an ooc ignore, or never treat them as IC to begin with. The point is, there's a gradient here. Some stuff just can't rightly be ignored, even if it was an accident.

I'm with this.

I've seen and made a few "Oh shit did I just say that out loud" mistakes, but luckily I've never seen anyone try to protest it OOCly.

It's a story game.  And, as stated, there are some magickal effects that you wouldn't 'accidentally' leave on, because of how the affect you, etc.  You're trying to 'win', that's the wrong attitude to have.  MUDs are not perfect parallels of reality, and the interface sometimes throws people off.  If they're willing to roll with it IC, I am too.  But if they ask me politely and explain that it was an OOC snafu then I, as a respectful player who realizes that this is an exercise in telling stories, not an exercise in WINNING, will quietly ignore it. 

You're looking at this from the wrong perspective if you're seeking to jump on someone for a mistake, and that's actually pretty detrimental to the game.  I can't make you stop, but it smacks of hack and slash pvp mentality over a focus on -roleplaying- and -storytelling-.

Quote from: maxid on July 01, 2012, 06:08:22 PM

It's a story game.  And, as stated, there are some magickal effects that you wouldn't 'accidentally' leave on, because of how the affect you, etc.  You're trying to 'win', that's the wrong attitude to have.  MUDs are not perfect parallels of reality, and the interface sometimes throws people off.  If they're willing to roll with it IC, I am too.  But if they ask me politely and explain that it was an OOC snafu then I, as a respectful player who realizes that this is an exercise in telling stories, not an exercise in WINNING, will quietly ignore it. 

You're looking at this from the wrong perspective if you're seeking to jump on someone for a mistake, and that's actually pretty detrimental to the game.  I can't make you stop, but it smacks of hack and slash pvp mentality over a focus on -roleplaying- and -storytelling-.

I love you.

Really, I think it depends on whether or not the person who makes the gaffe, attempts to oocly correct it before anyone has a chance to react ICly.

If someone walks into a bar from the road (as opposed to from a private room) glowing and lit up like a christmas tree, with a ball of light over their head...

that means they showed up in the city and walked around like that, to get -to- the bar. That means, all those NPCs and VNPCs had plenty of opportunity to respond, but the fact that the code doesn't notice it for an entire 25 movements from the gate outside, doesn't excuse you from not "look me"ing at least once during those 25 blocks. And so no, I'm not going to ignore it. You had 25 rooms to fix it, you didn't. You -should've- already been guard-ganked and never would have made it INTO the bar in the first place.

On the other hand - if you walk into the gate, and I'm at the gate, and you're glowing, and the soldiers don't stop you, and you ooc "uh I wasn't here just now" and immediately turn away - then I'll ignore it, and pretend I haven't seen you yet, and you get that do-over.

On the other OTHER hand...I might not -want- to make a big issue of it, even if you had 25 rooms to fix it and didn't fix it even after you walked into the bar. So I might give you the do-over if you run away before I have a chance to type out my emote of shock and terror.

But please don't show up and -expect- me to pretend you didn't just walk through the city gate, up 25 blocks to the bar, and sit down at the bar with a ball of light bouncing on your head. I might, I might not - but don't expect it. It's not my responsibility. And in fact, I'd say it's -more- my responsibility, to wish up and ask that the bartender be animated to react to it.

Unless, again, you turn tail before I have a chance to finish typing out my emote. But once someone has reacted, it's too late. It's happened to me - I walked in with something magicky in my possession, and a PC reacted to it. I hated that I was that careless, but I rolled with it because the reaction already happened so I couldn't take it back.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

We should generally cut each other as much slack as possible, and especially look out for new players, who might make a lot of mistakes and be easily stressed out over what seems out of their design and control.

But not screwing up too bad as a player is one of the minigames.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I feel like I've gained a GDB achievement or something, being accused of a play to win, pvp mentality.  ::) It wasn't a situation my PC or I jumped on for benefit (in fact, no one did, from what I recall). That sort of thing is a matter of game world integrity. You don't walk into a bar with magick all over you and just ooc a "my bad" and expect a group of PCs (or NPCs) to just go along with it. Such a situation is something that deserves to be reacted to. Armageddon is a world in which we role-play and story-tell about a land where it is fucking dangerous to be a wielder of magick.

Trying to win? Give me a break. It's not a "gotcha" moment, it's one of those situations where the mistake is too big to ignore.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I don't think a mistake can be too big to ignore. Maybe I'm just really good at ignoring things, who knows.

July 05, 2012, 12:15:26 AM #74 Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:16:20 AM by Yam
Quote from: Zoltan on July 04, 2012, 02:18:46 PM

It's a story game.  And, as stated, there are some magickal effects that you wouldn't 'accidentally' leave on, because of how the affect you, etc.  You're trying to 'win', that's the wrong attitude to have.  MUDs are not perfect parallels of reality, and the interface sometimes throws people off.  If they're willing to roll with it IC, I am too.  But if they ask me politely and explain that it was an OOC snafu then I, as a respectful player who realizes that this is an exercise in telling stories, not an exercise in WINNING, will quietly ignore it.  

You're looking at this from the wrong perspective if you're seeking to jump on someone for a mistake, and that's actually pretty detrimental to the game.  I can't make you stop, but it smacks of hack and slash pvp mentality over a focus on -roleplaying- and -storytelling-.

I feel like I've gained a GDB achievement or something, being accused of a play to win, pvp mentality.  ::) It wasn't a situation my PC or I jumped on for benefit (in fact, no one did, from what I recall). That sort of thing is a matter of game world integrity. You don't walk into a bar with magick all over you and just ooc a "my bad" and expect a group of PCs (or NPCs) to just go along with it. Such a situation is something that deserves to be reacted to. Armageddon is a world in which we role-play and story-tell about a land where it is fucking dangerous to be a wielder of magick.

Trying to win? Give me a break. It's not a "gotcha" moment, it's one of those situations where the mistake is too big to ignore.
Whoops thought I was in the wrong thread.

Still not cool to post on the forums