Is it ok to use this ic?

Started by GithMaster, June 20, 2012, 02:12:16 PM

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 21, 2012, 12:00:37 PM
Quote from: Maso on June 21, 2012, 11:56:10 AM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 21, 2012, 11:52:28 AM

Kissing a templar? I'm talking about ousting yourself as a Northron spy after years (sometimes real life years) of subterfuge in front of a Southern templar. Bam. Suddenly your character and all that work is dead, because you accidentally hit the comma key while waying your boss. Can you make the situation fun? Sure. But that doesn't somehow trump years of hard work to bring a plan to fruition, only to have it crashing down by one single typo. It's a shitty situation.

Even if you asked it to be ignored, in that case, the player behind the Templar would still know...and that's a hard thing to ignore for a player.

It's even harder to lose a character for a stupid mistake. Roleplaying your character differently than yourself is hard, I know. It takes a strong roleplayer to do it. I think it's a sign of someone who's experienced at the game when they can easily make their PC ignore things they know OOCly.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. That doesn't stop it from being hard though. There's always the temptation to guide a character toward discovering what you, as a player, already know. Especially if the information is important for your own characters survival.

It's just hard. So it sucks. So, I personally would not be comfortable having let something slip to another player. I would rather treat it IC, and my character be aware of the potential perils that might face them, so they can do one. :p
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

In every signle situation I've done the same. But because of the hard time i've had in such situation, I'd give anyone who asked me to ignore something the benefit of the doubt. Which is pretty much all I'm saying.

If someone asks.You're kind of a dick not to. Or just a weak roleplayer. :P

The only thing I ever go out of my way to ask people to ignore are things like accidentally removing my pants when I clearly meant another item or if staff is playing around trying to set something up and items need to be dropped or stuff like that. Anything that has actually important IG effects I do not ask to be ignored.

I think you're being a dick to make a mistake and ask others to pretend it never happened, especially if you are a three year spy.

Be more careful. :-X
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: titansfan on June 21, 2012, 01:40:04 PM
I think you're being a dick to make a mistake and ask others to pretend it never happened, especially if you are a three year spy.

Be more careful. :-X

+1
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

We already get stuck with OOC mistakes that are controlled by the code and we can do nothing about. It's a real dick move to stick to an obvious OOC mistake as IC when the player asks you not to.

I just wonder when the accepting of "OOC:  Oh, ignore that!  Mistake!" stops.  Does it only go as far as accidents with speech?  What about attacking the wrong person?  What about stealing from the wrong person?  What about being caught by guards when you meant to type something else and accidentally kicked someone instead of kissing or something?  Then you're drug through the streets all the way to jail, and when the Templar shows up you say, "OOC:  Redo?  I meant kiss..."

It would be incredibly frustrating and I think pretty rude to make someone, for example, who has a three-year spy under them as their Aide play along now with all of their future plots knowing OOCly they are speaking to a spy.  I mean really... that is just poor form and would just be one of the more frustrating experiences to put anyone through.  Regardless of how strong or weak your roleplay is there are certain times where I think you need to swallow the fact that you fucked up and deal with the consequences instead of making however many people deal with them because you want to take it back.

I think there is a big selfish view on this for the supporters of the re-do option.  I've seen comments about an OOC mistake possibly killing your character because you admitted to spying, or wanting to kill, or whatever someone else's character and it would likely get you executed.  Have you looked at it from the other point of view?  From the person who now knows that someone is spying, trying to kill, or actively fuck their character over which could possibly result in their character's death and the deaths of many other characters?  They now know this, but you're trying to force them to ignore it, when it could possibly end up in their character's death?

Being forced to play along while knowing that knowledge is like having an axe hanging over your character's head.  I don't care how great of a role-player you are that is going to bother you.  Even if you play it all properly I just cannot see how your OOC level of enjoyment won't be fuzzed somehow.

^That, exactly that.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Obviously it depends on the scenario. It would be difficult - and, in my opinion, pointless - to try and set hard and fast rules for OOC mistakes.

So, the best you can do is try to roll with the scene and respect the other players' wishes. Oh wait, I already said that like, twice.

Quote from: AreteX on June 21, 2012, 02:14:17 PM
I just wonder when the accepting of "OOC:  Oh, ignore that!  Mistake!" stops.  Does it only go as far as accidents with speech?  What about attacking the wrong person?  What about stealing from the wrong person?  What about being caught by guards when you meant to type something else and accidentally kicked someone instead of kissing or something?  Then you're drug through the streets all the way to jail, and when the Templar shows up you say, "OOC:  Redo?  I meant kiss..."

It would be incredibly frustrating and I think pretty rude to make someone, for example, who has a three-year spy under them as their Aide play along now with all of their future plots knowing OOCly they are speaking to a spy.  I mean really... that is just poor form and would just be one of the more frustrating experiences to put anyone through.  Regardless of how strong or weak your roleplay is there are certain times where I think you need to swallow the fact that you fucked up and deal with the consequences instead of making however many people deal with them because you want to take it back.

I think there is a big selfish view on this for the supporters of the re-do option.  I've seen comments about an OOC mistake possibly killing your character because you admitted to spying, or wanting to kill, or whatever someone else's character and it would likely get you executed.  Have you looked at it from the other point of view?  From the person who now knows that someone is spying, trying to kill, or actively fuck their character over which could possibly result in their character's death and the deaths of many other characters?  They now know this, but you're trying to force them to ignore it, when it could possibly end up in their character's death?

Being forced to play along while knowing that knowledge is like having an axe hanging over your character's head.  I don't care how great of a role-player you are that is going to bother you.  Even if you play it all properly I just cannot see how your OOC level of enjoyment won't be fuzzed somehow.

So then I guess we just take all OOC mistakes as IC no matter how ridiculous they appear to be huh? I say the line is, where the code, or the player who made the mistake decides it is. In cases of code, we can do nothing but respond to what the code does automatically. In the cases of the player, we can choose to respect our fellow players instead of trying to be a dick about it and -roleplay- even if we know something we shouldn't have. We have to suspend OOC knowledge while playing this game all the time, what makes this so much different unless you just plain want to be a dick to another player?

There isn't really a definitive answer to give here. Handle errors on a case-by-case basis, roll with things that make sense, don't roll with things that don't, be careful of what you type, and disable certain mistake-prone features (like the "apostrophe = say" option, or "k = kiss") with aliases.

I will add, though, that once people start reacting to your mistake, your window to ask for a mistake to be ignored is basically closed. Undoing interaction is far more awkward than just ignoring something.

Quote from: Cutthroat on June 21, 2012, 02:39:06 PM
I will add, though, that once people start reacting to your mistake, your window to ask for a mistake to be ignored is basically closed. Undoing interaction is far more awkward than just ignoring something.

I agree with that.

I make a mistake like this, I roll with it.  I don't recall a single time I've asked for an "undo" or whatever.

If someone does it, and asks for an undo, I forget it.  Not because "I should" or whatever, but because, hey, I'm not a fucking jackass.

Now if I ever fuck up, and I ask for an undo, and someone doesn't respect that?  I'm going to take a grudge to the grave with that PC, and if I find out later on who else they're playing, I may just carry that grudge over and try to whack that other PC as well, because, hey, I'm a fucking jackass.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I'm only debating the subject.  If someone asked me to OOCly ignore something I would do it.  I'm a nice person.  I don't want to screw anyone over.  I think we should all have fun.  I am only trying to point out that making someone carry a big burden upon their shoulders because of your mistake might actually be the dick move.

Over the years of mudding, the same holds true here as it does anywhere. Folks will always say, 'case by case scenario' which often relates to IC/OOC relations to said person. If your clan leader, or superior of any sort, asks you to forget something, even using OOC, you generally will cause otherwise there can be IC reprecussions, with no way of proving it was because you didn't oblige thier request, it becomes a petty battle that neither side can prove nor disprove.

The OOC relations comes from being friends, in one way or another, OOCly, maybe you have roleplayed with said person, led to talking on AIM or some such, was a good time, and you feel you are friends. Now you will forget it if that character asks, and may even get shitty with someone whom doesn't oblige your friend. Again, reprecussions to said person whom didn't oblige the request.

I cannot stand folks whom say (Its not a mistake my character would make) because it is a mistake your character did just make, even if it is how things are coded, that you, as a player didn't take the time to firmly identify said item or command. You can key the item based on a keyword and focus strickly on it, doesn't take long.

I have always thought it to be completely crap to put other players in the position of having to forget something you just did. I for one, never ignore a mistake, I may ignore a situation, such as someone just saying psi hi amos!, of which I have no interest in that character or whom they are talking to. But I always tend to make a big fuss out of it if they follow up with asking for that incident to be forgotten. Simply so they won't ask such a thing in the future.

You wanna be the nice OOC guy and forget someones mistake, that is on you. But for my Immersion, everything that happens in the game, is IC. I could care less how you as a player feel about it. When I am in the game, my only concern is how my character feels about it.
Life sucks, then you die.

Quote from: Malifaxis on June 21, 2012, 02:54:50 PM
Now if I ever fuck up, and I ask for an undo, and someone doesn't respect that?  I'm going to take a grudge to the grave with that PC, and if I find out later on who else they're playing, I may just carry that grudge over and try to whack that other PC as well, because, hey, I'm a fucking jackass.

Quote from: hatchets on June 21, 2012, 04:13:35 PM
You wanna be the nice OOC guy and forget someones mistake, that is on you. But for my Immersion, everything that happens in the game, is IC. I could care less how you as a player feel about it. When I am in the game, my only concern is how my character feels about it.

Those are damn fine boots you're wearing.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Seems to me case by case, and you can't bitch if it doesn't go the way you want.

If someone lets slip they're a rogue magicker... It would be near impossible to pretend not to know that.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on June 21, 2012, 06:13:13 PM
It would be near impossible to pretend not to know that.

Why? Maybe I'm just good at this shit or something, but I don't imagine that would be hard at all.

Every time an old character dies, and you have to make a new character, there's tons of info about other PC's in the game you have to forget. Peoples magicky status among them.

This should probably also extend to accidentally entering commands.

Please don't eyeball my character weirdly for the next 3 IC weeks when I accidentally typed "fly" and OOC'd you to ignore it.

Note: fly sends off an echo even if you do not do so successfully.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 21, 2012, 06:15:22 PM
Quote from: Feco on June 21, 2012, 06:13:13 PM
It would be near impossible to pretend not to know that.

Why? Maybe I'm just good at this shit or something, but I don't imagine that would be hard at all.

Every time an old character dies, and you have to make a new character, there's tons of info about other PC's in the game you have to forget. Peoples magicky status among them.

Fair point.

Still situational.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I can't honestly think of a situation that doesn't involve the person just being being selfish to break the IC/OOC information barrier.

Though I'm not really trying very hard.

To the OP:  about five years ago, there was an interesting situation I happened to be present for IC, though really had minimal impact on.  A bunch of us Bynners were sitting on a swank Allanaki apartment balcony, chatting (if memory serves) after a somewhat long mission.  The apartment belonged to our employer, a wealthy independent tailor. 

So there we are, rp-ing away, when one of the Bynners (an ex- 'rinther) starts knocking the stuffing out of our host's friend, an (Oashi?) aide.  He was unarmed, and stopped quickly enough that she wasn't seriously injured, at least as far as the code was concerned.  There followed that awkward moment when no one was really sure what to do:  was that a mistake?  Should we play it out, or OOC take it back, or wish up to staff, or something else entirely?  I no longer have that log (:(), but I seem to recall the attacker OOC something to the effect of "Ignore that!"  Immediately after that, so close in fact that he must have been typing out his response at the same time, one of the other Bynners jumped up and started comforting the attacker!  He told him he wasn't in the 'rinth anymore, that he had to work past his flashbacks of being in the alley, etc.  I'm probably not doing the scene justice, but it was really quite engaging.  The aide was a good sport, and played along, recomposing herself and joining in the interaction.  I thought at the time, and five years later still do, that this was an excellent way to both not punish the person for what was clearly an OOC mistake, while at the same time integrating the events into our on-going story.

I'd like to think I'm pretty amicable from an OOC perspective.  I don't generally criticize other people's role-play style, because I assume there are aspects of -my- rp they don't care for, yet have the good grace to overlook.  If someone asked me to overlook something OOC, I probably would, although I admit I'd be a little disappointed.  Not because it didn't let me "win", but because scenes that "jump the tracks" are often the most exhilarating and unpredictable.  On things like common mistargets (you start to emote, and someone new walks into the room that shares a keyword) or other such mistakes, I generally just resend the emote/command, and everyone "gets it".  At worst, I might OOC an explanation.  However, it truly would never occur to me to ask someone to ignore pertinent information, such as a delicious Freudian slip.

I suppose in a way I've been lucky.  I've never had a bad raiding experience (no rp insta-kill or anything even close), and only rarely have people "twinked out" around me.  I humbly submit that the best solution is like in the above scenario, where you can find some way to integrate the action into the continuing narrative.  If that's not possible, then it's up to your best judgment, and I think the staff would back you up on that.  Any management-types want to chime in on this?
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

As far as I'm concerned, if a player asks me to ignore it, and it's a reasonable mistake, I will, even if it's information that would put them in a precarious position.