Is it ok to use this ic?

Started by GithMaster, June 20, 2012, 02:12:16 PM

Someone uses talk instead of psi, revealing something or other. Then they   oocly say ignore that, was supposed to be a way. Is it ok for me to use it anyway?

I would say it's up to you -but-, it was an OOC mistake and they asked you to ignore it as such. ICly they could've messed up and you could choose to respond as if it were an IC mistake. I personally wouldn't simply because they caught their mistake and asked you to treat it as such. They decided not to treat their OOC mistake as an IC one by telling you it was such and asking that you ignore it. If they hadn't done so, then I would treat it as an IC mistake.
It's a tough one because there are legitimate arguments for either case.

They noticed when I pointed it out.

If they ask you to ignore it OOC, then you should ignore it.

Sometimes it feels cheap, but it's better to play nice than drag an OOC mistake into the game and cause hard feelings all around.

I say it's like a freudian slip and IC in my opinion.

The question isn't whether the person should have kept it IC, the question is whether the OP should go against that player's request to treat it as an OOC mistake.

In my opinion, the answer is to respect that player's wishes, regardless of whether you think it should have been kept IC.

Quote from: Delirium on June 20, 2012, 02:27:54 PM
The question isn't whether the person should have kept it IC, the question is whether the OP should go against that player's request to treat it as an OOC mistake.

In my opinion, the answer is to respect that player's wishes, regardless of whether you think it should have been kept IC.

That's how I personally would handle it.

I agree with Delirium, but I love when players make mistakes and roll with it in game.

However, it's generally in everyone's best interest to respect players' wishes, and always give others the benefit of the doubt.

Good intentions don't count. Did I  intend to die because I wasn't wieldin a weapon? No, but it happens.People make mistakes based on being tired  their  character wouldn't all the time. Someone was waying  me mud sexy things for thirty minutes and I never corrected them even though I was the wrong person because it was amusing. They apologized but didn't ask for it to be oocly removed. They screwed up, deal. Surprised they would even ask.

I think that in this situation the choice is yours. You are not obligated to offer a do-over.

June 20, 2012, 03:03:09 PM #10 Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:04:46 PM by Morrolan
If something is clearly a mistake, like:

>say psi Krathdamn templar messing with me, send help!

...then I would say assume it is an OOC mistake unless the player goes with it.

Especially, since on some keyboards, the apostrophe is right in front of the enter key.

In other words, look for the person who made the mistake's lead. Some will push bravely on:

Quote"Sorry, Lord Templar Hardnose, I just think out loud when I am nervous."

Some will realize that their character does not make mistakes like that:
QuoteOOC Please ignore that. Move along. Nothing happened. These are not the stumps you are looking for. *waves hand*

And, believe it or not, some players will wait to see if anyone else is going to take it IC, just to throw caution to the wind.

My guiding principle is in these situations is:

According to what I know, which choice is best for the game as a whole and the story we are telling?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Offer a free do over? No, you're certainly not obligated. But since the player asked for this particular incident to be ignored, I would respect their wishes. I also urge them not to make a habit of correcting things like this, because mistakes and ineptitude add a lot of flavor to the world and your character. I've had a couple of fun instances of accidentally blathering out loud about something and having to deal with the consequences.

Edit: Wait, apostrophe activates Psi? How have I not already blundered onto that.

Apostrophes are a shortcut for "say"

'psi Help I'm being repressed
is the same as
say psi Help I'm being repressed
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

I don't like the idea of being put in a situation like this where I would then know something sensitive and because of a slip up have to ignore it all because of an OOC request.  There are plenty of situations where OOC mistakes happen and people play along with it.

If you say something on accident which was meant for PSI then you, and your character just messed up in my opinion.  Role with it and don't put the person or multiple people in that spot and ask for an OOC do-over.  When does the OOC do-over request stop?  When it is a legit thing to do and when isn't it?

Do you roleplay out backstabbing the wrong person because you didn't notice there were 2.amos in the room?  Do you flee, come back and go, "Hey, everyone, ignore that backstab!"?

I have always rolled with my mistakes and I have never once asked for OOC do-overs and I think it worked out fine and even opened up some interesting stories because of it.

All that being said I would likely respect the person's OOC wishes to have it ignored, but I would feel uncomfortable in doing so and feel like a burden has been placed upon me when it shouldn't be...

I would not be *happy* about being asked to ignore it, because I think things like that are super fun and enjoyable (I sometimes accidentally psi thinks, or psi talks or say psis, or what-have-you, and it's always led to more fun stuff, not less), but ultimately we are all here to have a mutually enjoyable time playing with everyone else, so if another player asks you to ignore it.. ignore it.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

I don't think the player that made the mistake should put you in that position.  Characters have flaws and make mistakes and as we are our Characters acting brain our mistake is their mistake.  People say their thinks irl and so I don't see how it would be different saying a psi by accident.  I have psi'ed the wrong person and said things I meant to psi.  That kind of mistake should be rolled with and if it is that important that is screws everything up, you should be more careful.  Treat it as it is.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Sometimes, I accidentally press the key combination to have MUSHclient treat everything I type as a 'say' right before I psi, think, emote, backstab, whatever.

Especially since I'm not sure what the key combination is and sometimes have to reconnect, er, it's an OOC accident. (In the 'force of nature' sense in this case.) Treat it that way.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on June 20, 2012, 02:26:00 PM
I say it's like a freudian slip and IC in my opinion.

Agreed. It's just like think and say.  It's cheap to say OOC Please ignore those kind of mistakes.

I remember telling some noble something or other that I thought he was a pain in the ass when I meant to think it.  The ensuing situation was much more interesting.

June 20, 2012, 09:31:50 PM #19 Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:38:02 PM by RogueGunslinger
There's honestly nothing more frustrating in this game than your character paying for your own OOC typo or mistake. It's something noobies constantly complain about when referencing in-game cultural norms like bowing to templars and the often times harsh code. (My character really wouldn't walk for miles into the waste after falling off his mount, for example, something that's easy for a noobie to miss). If it's something obvious like a "say psi Damn this dude's an idiot" you should ALWAYS treat it as OOC UNLESS the player roleplays it as an IC mistake.

There too many situations where your character may die for your own mistakes, when he never would have done such a thing. A lot of these situations you can do nothing about. This is not one of them. I really doubt we should allow for more of these situations, against a players wishes.

Give the player the benifit of the doubt if they ask. If you personally can't handle knowing the truth behind someones character on an OOC level, without letting it bleed into the IC and making them pay for the mistake; then you're a very weak roleplayer.

I think two things here:

Yes, if you are asked to ignore something OOC that is just silly (someone walking for miles through the desert instead of mounting their kank - fine.  Seriously, though, that can be played out and if the noob says "Oh, didn't know about the mount command" then drop the RP.  On the other hand, it is an RP opportunity you are opening for the newb.

Example: My first character didn't have boots on. Walked all over.  Some HG guard asked me why I wasn't wearing boots and aren't my feet hot.  He could have chalked it up to a newb mistake (since it was an animated guard and the Imm certainly knew it was my first character) but didn't.  Scene ensued.

If your character suddenly stands up and kisses a templar out of the blue or adjusts the dark-cloaked figure's cloak or whatever, sure seems reasonable to OOC ignore those.  On the other hand, having those RP'd out also makes for great scenes.  Weak is the player (to use RGS's phrasing) who can't roll with their OOC mistakes.

Personally, I think accidentally kissing a templar might be an AWESOME scene.  What are you really afraid of?  Dying?  Seriously?

Likewise, OOC ignore PSI/THINK that was SAID is the easy way out.  It doesn't generate more twists/turns/interesting situations. It just lets that weak RPer off the hook.  Sure, consider the player's request to keep it OOC.  But don't feel you have to.  I certainly woudn't expect it. 

The game certainly understands this.  If I typo a command an accidentally trigger a big ass fireball in the middle of a tavern (and things like this have happened) do you think the guards and other players are going to be understandable if you say - oh, sorry, my mistake.  I'm not a magicker - I'm a noble's pet administrator.
The game could be coded to ask if you if you are SURE you want to cast your magick spell in a tavern - but it doesn't.  You just do it.  You could even have something like a mercy switch for it.  But we don't. 

What happens in game, happens in game with few exceptions.

Besides.  Playing with characters that never slip up or make mistakes is boring in the extreme. 

June 21, 2012, 11:52:28 AM #21 Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:01:16 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: DustMight on June 21, 2012, 11:16:24 AM
Weak is the player (to use RGS's phrasing) who can't roll with their OOC mistakes.

Uhh. Not wanting to do something doesn't mean you're incapable of doing it. I'm talking about things that would be completely unfathomable for a character to do. It's not weak to make a decision that you don't want your character to do something he wouldn't do. You're not a weak roleplayer if you don't want to partake in roleplay that just simply doesn't make sense.

Personally, I think accidentally kissing a templar might be an AWESOME scene.  What are you really afraid of?  Dying?  Seriously?

Kissing a templar? I'm talking about ousting yourself as a Northron spy after years (sometimes real life years) of subterfuge in front of a Southern templar. Bam. Suddenly your character and all that work is dead, because you accidentally hit the comma key while waying your boss. Can you make the situation fun? Sure. But that doesn't somehow trump years of hard work to bring a plan to fruition, only to have it crashing down by one single typo. It's a shitty situation.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't roll with mistakes. I'm saying if someone asks you to ignore it. Then ignore it.

Quote from: DustMight on June 21, 2012, 11:16:24 AM
If your character suddenly stands up and kisses a templar out of the blue or adjusts the dark-cloaked figure's cloak or whatever, sure seems reasonable to OOC ignore those.  On the other hand, having those RP'd out also makes for great scenes.  Weak is the player (to use RGS's phrasing) who can't roll with their OOC mistakes.

Woah. No way!

I completely agree that rolling with OOC mistakes can be fun, and I usually choose to in most circumstances. But it's got to be slightly realistic. An intended psi slipping out as words...that makes sense. Walking around with no boots...fine. Contacting the wrong person...and a whole host of other slip ups...are slip ups that your character, as well as you, could easily make.

But slip ups that you make...that there is no chance your character would make...should definitely be ignored and passed off as an OOC mistake by other players. Kissing a templar...no. Flicking the corner of the guy in the black cape instead of flicking the corner of your black cape...no...randomly sitting on the floor....no...If your character isn't a complete nutter or a total idiot...then OOC mistakes that would imply them to be such should be respected as OOC mistakes.

This kind of stuff happens all the time, and mostly players just ignore it - because it happens to all of us.

A psi spoken in conversation however, I'd jump all over that. Especially if it was tasty sekret info. Or rude. Taking that OOC is a bit lame.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 21, 2012, 11:52:28 AM

Kissing a templar? I'm talking about ousting yourself as a Northron spy after years (sometimes real life years) of subterfuge in front of a Southern templar. Bam. Suddenly your character and all that work is dead, because you accidentally hit the comma key while waying your boss. Can you make the situation fun? Sure. But that doesn't somehow trump years of hard work to bring a plan to fruition, only to have it crashing down by one single typo. It's a shitty situation.

Even if you asked it to be ignored, in that case, the player behind the Templar would still know...and that's a hard thing to ignore for a player.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on June 21, 2012, 11:56:10 AM

Even if you asked it to be ignored, in that case, the player behind the Templar would still know...and that's a hard thing to ignore for a player.

It's even harder to lose a character for a stupid mistake. Roleplaying your character differently than yourself is hard, I know. It takes a strong roleplayer to do it. I think it's a sign of someone who's experienced at the game when they can easily make their PC ignore things they know OOCly.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 21, 2012, 12:00:37 PM
Quote from: Maso on June 21, 2012, 11:56:10 AM

It's even harder to lose a character for a stupid mistake. Roleplaying your character differently than yourself is hard, I know. It takes a strong roleplayer to do it. I think it's a sign of someone who's experienced at the game when they can easily make their PC ignore things they know OOCly.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. That doesn't stop it from being hard though. There's always the temptation to guide a character toward discovering what you, as a player, already know. Especially if the information is important for your own characters survival.

It's just hard. So it sucks. So, I personally would not be comfortable having let something slip to another player. I would rather treat it IC, and my character be aware of the potential perils that might face them, so they can do one. :p

In every signle situation I've done the same. But because of the hard time i've had in such situation, I'd give anyone who asked me to ignore something the benefit of the doubt. Which is pretty much all I'm saying.

If someone asks.You're kind of a dick not to. Or just a weak roleplayer. :P

The only thing I ever go out of my way to ask people to ignore are things like accidentally removing my pants when I clearly meant another item or if staff is playing around trying to set something up and items need to be dropped or stuff like that. Anything that has actually important IG effects I do not ask to be ignored.

I think you're being a dick to make a mistake and ask others to pretend it never happened, especially if you are a three year spy.

Be more careful. :-X
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: titansfan on June 21, 2012, 01:40:04 PM
I think you're being a dick to make a mistake and ask others to pretend it never happened, especially if you are a three year spy.

Be more careful. :-X

+1

We already get stuck with OOC mistakes that are controlled by the code and we can do nothing about. It's a real dick move to stick to an obvious OOC mistake as IC when the player asks you not to.

I just wonder when the accepting of "OOC:  Oh, ignore that!  Mistake!" stops.  Does it only go as far as accidents with speech?  What about attacking the wrong person?  What about stealing from the wrong person?  What about being caught by guards when you meant to type something else and accidentally kicked someone instead of kissing or something?  Then you're drug through the streets all the way to jail, and when the Templar shows up you say, "OOC:  Redo?  I meant kiss..."

It would be incredibly frustrating and I think pretty rude to make someone, for example, who has a three-year spy under them as their Aide play along now with all of their future plots knowing OOCly they are speaking to a spy.  I mean really... that is just poor form and would just be one of the more frustrating experiences to put anyone through.  Regardless of how strong or weak your roleplay is there are certain times where I think you need to swallow the fact that you fucked up and deal with the consequences instead of making however many people deal with them because you want to take it back.

I think there is a big selfish view on this for the supporters of the re-do option.  I've seen comments about an OOC mistake possibly killing your character because you admitted to spying, or wanting to kill, or whatever someone else's character and it would likely get you executed.  Have you looked at it from the other point of view?  From the person who now knows that someone is spying, trying to kill, or actively fuck their character over which could possibly result in their character's death and the deaths of many other characters?  They now know this, but you're trying to force them to ignore it, when it could possibly end up in their character's death?

Being forced to play along while knowing that knowledge is like having an axe hanging over your character's head.  I don't care how great of a role-player you are that is going to bother you.  Even if you play it all properly I just cannot see how your OOC level of enjoyment won't be fuzzed somehow.

^That, exactly that.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Obviously it depends on the scenario. It would be difficult - and, in my opinion, pointless - to try and set hard and fast rules for OOC mistakes.

So, the best you can do is try to roll with the scene and respect the other players' wishes. Oh wait, I already said that like, twice.

Quote from: AreteX on June 21, 2012, 02:14:17 PM
I just wonder when the accepting of "OOC:  Oh, ignore that!  Mistake!" stops.  Does it only go as far as accidents with speech?  What about attacking the wrong person?  What about stealing from the wrong person?  What about being caught by guards when you meant to type something else and accidentally kicked someone instead of kissing or something?  Then you're drug through the streets all the way to jail, and when the Templar shows up you say, "OOC:  Redo?  I meant kiss..."

It would be incredibly frustrating and I think pretty rude to make someone, for example, who has a three-year spy under them as their Aide play along now with all of their future plots knowing OOCly they are speaking to a spy.  I mean really... that is just poor form and would just be one of the more frustrating experiences to put anyone through.  Regardless of how strong or weak your roleplay is there are certain times where I think you need to swallow the fact that you fucked up and deal with the consequences instead of making however many people deal with them because you want to take it back.

I think there is a big selfish view on this for the supporters of the re-do option.  I've seen comments about an OOC mistake possibly killing your character because you admitted to spying, or wanting to kill, or whatever someone else's character and it would likely get you executed.  Have you looked at it from the other point of view?  From the person who now knows that someone is spying, trying to kill, or actively fuck their character over which could possibly result in their character's death and the deaths of many other characters?  They now know this, but you're trying to force them to ignore it, when it could possibly end up in their character's death?

Being forced to play along while knowing that knowledge is like having an axe hanging over your character's head.  I don't care how great of a role-player you are that is going to bother you.  Even if you play it all properly I just cannot see how your OOC level of enjoyment won't be fuzzed somehow.

So then I guess we just take all OOC mistakes as IC no matter how ridiculous they appear to be huh? I say the line is, where the code, or the player who made the mistake decides it is. In cases of code, we can do nothing but respond to what the code does automatically. In the cases of the player, we can choose to respect our fellow players instead of trying to be a dick about it and -roleplay- even if we know something we shouldn't have. We have to suspend OOC knowledge while playing this game all the time, what makes this so much different unless you just plain want to be a dick to another player?

There isn't really a definitive answer to give here. Handle errors on a case-by-case basis, roll with things that make sense, don't roll with things that don't, be careful of what you type, and disable certain mistake-prone features (like the "apostrophe = say" option, or "k = kiss") with aliases.

I will add, though, that once people start reacting to your mistake, your window to ask for a mistake to be ignored is basically closed. Undoing interaction is far more awkward than just ignoring something.

Quote from: Cutthroat on June 21, 2012, 02:39:06 PM
I will add, though, that once people start reacting to your mistake, your window to ask for a mistake to be ignored is basically closed. Undoing interaction is far more awkward than just ignoring something.

I agree with that.

I make a mistake like this, I roll with it.  I don't recall a single time I've asked for an "undo" or whatever.

If someone does it, and asks for an undo, I forget it.  Not because "I should" or whatever, but because, hey, I'm not a fucking jackass.

Now if I ever fuck up, and I ask for an undo, and someone doesn't respect that?  I'm going to take a grudge to the grave with that PC, and if I find out later on who else they're playing, I may just carry that grudge over and try to whack that other PC as well, because, hey, I'm a fucking jackass.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I'm only debating the subject.  If someone asked me to OOCly ignore something I would do it.  I'm a nice person.  I don't want to screw anyone over.  I think we should all have fun.  I am only trying to point out that making someone carry a big burden upon their shoulders because of your mistake might actually be the dick move.

Over the years of mudding, the same holds true here as it does anywhere. Folks will always say, 'case by case scenario' which often relates to IC/OOC relations to said person. If your clan leader, or superior of any sort, asks you to forget something, even using OOC, you generally will cause otherwise there can be IC reprecussions, with no way of proving it was because you didn't oblige thier request, it becomes a petty battle that neither side can prove nor disprove.

The OOC relations comes from being friends, in one way or another, OOCly, maybe you have roleplayed with said person, led to talking on AIM or some such, was a good time, and you feel you are friends. Now you will forget it if that character asks, and may even get shitty with someone whom doesn't oblige your friend. Again, reprecussions to said person whom didn't oblige the request.

I cannot stand folks whom say (Its not a mistake my character would make) because it is a mistake your character did just make, even if it is how things are coded, that you, as a player didn't take the time to firmly identify said item or command. You can key the item based on a keyword and focus strickly on it, doesn't take long.

I have always thought it to be completely crap to put other players in the position of having to forget something you just did. I for one, never ignore a mistake, I may ignore a situation, such as someone just saying psi hi amos!, of which I have no interest in that character or whom they are talking to. But I always tend to make a big fuss out of it if they follow up with asking for that incident to be forgotten. Simply so they won't ask such a thing in the future.

You wanna be the nice OOC guy and forget someones mistake, that is on you. But for my Immersion, everything that happens in the game, is IC. I could care less how you as a player feel about it. When I am in the game, my only concern is how my character feels about it.
Life sucks, then you die.

Quote from: Malifaxis on June 21, 2012, 02:54:50 PM
Now if I ever fuck up, and I ask for an undo, and someone doesn't respect that?  I'm going to take a grudge to the grave with that PC, and if I find out later on who else they're playing, I may just carry that grudge over and try to whack that other PC as well, because, hey, I'm a fucking jackass.

Quote from: hatchets on June 21, 2012, 04:13:35 PM
You wanna be the nice OOC guy and forget someones mistake, that is on you. But for my Immersion, everything that happens in the game, is IC. I could care less how you as a player feel about it. When I am in the game, my only concern is how my character feels about it.

Those are damn fine boots you're wearing.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Seems to me case by case, and you can't bitch if it doesn't go the way you want.

If someone lets slip they're a rogue magicker... It would be near impossible to pretend not to know that.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on June 21, 2012, 06:13:13 PM
It would be near impossible to pretend not to know that.

Why? Maybe I'm just good at this shit or something, but I don't imagine that would be hard at all.

Every time an old character dies, and you have to make a new character, there's tons of info about other PC's in the game you have to forget. Peoples magicky status among them.

This should probably also extend to accidentally entering commands.

Please don't eyeball my character weirdly for the next 3 IC weeks when I accidentally typed "fly" and OOC'd you to ignore it.

Note: fly sends off an echo even if you do not do so successfully.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 21, 2012, 06:15:22 PM
Quote from: Feco on June 21, 2012, 06:13:13 PM
It would be near impossible to pretend not to know that.

Why? Maybe I'm just good at this shit or something, but I don't imagine that would be hard at all.

Every time an old character dies, and you have to make a new character, there's tons of info about other PC's in the game you have to forget. Peoples magicky status among them.

Fair point.

Still situational.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I can't honestly think of a situation that doesn't involve the person just being being selfish to break the IC/OOC information barrier.

Though I'm not really trying very hard.

To the OP:  about five years ago, there was an interesting situation I happened to be present for IC, though really had minimal impact on.  A bunch of us Bynners were sitting on a swank Allanaki apartment balcony, chatting (if memory serves) after a somewhat long mission.  The apartment belonged to our employer, a wealthy independent tailor. 

So there we are, rp-ing away, when one of the Bynners (an ex- 'rinther) starts knocking the stuffing out of our host's friend, an (Oashi?) aide.  He was unarmed, and stopped quickly enough that she wasn't seriously injured, at least as far as the code was concerned.  There followed that awkward moment when no one was really sure what to do:  was that a mistake?  Should we play it out, or OOC take it back, or wish up to staff, or something else entirely?  I no longer have that log (:(), but I seem to recall the attacker OOC something to the effect of "Ignore that!"  Immediately after that, so close in fact that he must have been typing out his response at the same time, one of the other Bynners jumped up and started comforting the attacker!  He told him he wasn't in the 'rinth anymore, that he had to work past his flashbacks of being in the alley, etc.  I'm probably not doing the scene justice, but it was really quite engaging.  The aide was a good sport, and played along, recomposing herself and joining in the interaction.  I thought at the time, and five years later still do, that this was an excellent way to both not punish the person for what was clearly an OOC mistake, while at the same time integrating the events into our on-going story.

I'd like to think I'm pretty amicable from an OOC perspective.  I don't generally criticize other people's role-play style, because I assume there are aspects of -my- rp they don't care for, yet have the good grace to overlook.  If someone asked me to overlook something OOC, I probably would, although I admit I'd be a little disappointed.  Not because it didn't let me "win", but because scenes that "jump the tracks" are often the most exhilarating and unpredictable.  On things like common mistargets (you start to emote, and someone new walks into the room that shares a keyword) or other such mistakes, I generally just resend the emote/command, and everyone "gets it".  At worst, I might OOC an explanation.  However, it truly would never occur to me to ask someone to ignore pertinent information, such as a delicious Freudian slip.

I suppose in a way I've been lucky.  I've never had a bad raiding experience (no rp insta-kill or anything even close), and only rarely have people "twinked out" around me.  I humbly submit that the best solution is like in the above scenario, where you can find some way to integrate the action into the continuing narrative.  If that's not possible, then it's up to your best judgment, and I think the staff would back you up on that.  Any management-types want to chime in on this?
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

As far as I'm concerned, if a player asks me to ignore it, and it's a reasonable mistake, I will, even if it's information that would put them in a precarious position.

Not the thread (or droid) I was looking for, but another take on this:

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,29980.0.html

- Eleanor Roosevelt

It is jarring, unrealistic, and bad Rp to react to an obvious code typo (k not l, 'psi, etc.)

You're a jerk if you demand to keep it IC when asked not to.

In the end, people who have the whole OMG IT HAPPENED SO ILL REACT IC!!!! tend to be the types who want to 'win' the game, rather than tell stories.  The people who are a bit more chill tend to be the ones most interested in neat stories and Rp.  And, like Malifaxis said, if you start being a jerk OOCly, people just might start holding grudges against you.

Sure letting it slip into IC (in the example of talk not psi, or that sort of deal) is an option?  But there are so many things which are just completely unrealistic, and counter to your character's motivations/the way they'd actually act that the player sometimes forgets.  Walking around with a sparring weapon, holding a torch at high sun, kissing a templar, mistyping and hitting the wrong person in a sparring circle, all of those are very likel ynot actually happening, and if someone asks you to ignore it when they fix it?  You really should, pretty much end of story.  IF they roll with it, feel free to as well, but if not? Don't punish them IC, it's not realistic, engaging, or fun.

What if the OOC mistake was: I'm planning to kill Amos,  and Amos is sittin there in the room. How does one deal with that situation. You can say Sorry that was a mistell all day long, but Amos still knows your gonna try and off him?

Then you hope he's being played by someone responsible, and let the chips fall where they may.

Quote from: rocketman on June 22, 2012, 01:46:29 AM
What if the OOC mistake was: I'm planning to kill Amos,  and Amos is sittin there in the room. How does one deal with that situation. You can say Sorry that was a mistell all day long, but Amos still knows your gonna try and off him?

In that particular case, me personally I would rp that it was an ic mistake my character made, since it directly involves the other person. But, if you choose (being the one that made that mistake) to point out that it was ooc and ask it to be ignored, it's up to you. My only argument earlier is that, if I request that the mistake be treated as OOC (since it was OOC and was not something my character would do) that the other player respects that and rolls with it.

I try to RP out my OOC mistakes. I'll always respect someone when they misdirect a tell, or use the wrong keyword, or accidentally attack me instead of a target. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, because I want this game to be a fun and enjoyable experience for others. Taking an OOC mistake IC isn't fun for them, and is only fun for you. Whereas accepting their OOC excusal isn't ruining your fun.

Maybe I'm just too soft, I don't know, but I like to play with others how I want to be played with. I respect them. Our enjoyment of this game stems largely from our interactions with other players and while I will not begrudge the fact that many of you have had wonderful scenes because of these mess ups. But I also won't begrudge other players for wanting to forgo those scenes.

It's common courtesy. Be kind, rewind.

I'm on the side of rolling with whatever the player asks for. The only time this frustrates me is when they accidentally slip on something that doesn't matter and then try to get me to ignore it.

So-and-so sends you a telepathic message:
     "I really like your hair."

OOC: sorry mistell please ignore!

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

This happened to me once on something totally mundane, and I didn't hold a grudge or anything, I can't even remember who it was, but I did have a moment's pause of staring at my screen and thinking, really? There was no reason not to just go with it being a slightly dumb, embarrassing thing to say and then moving on:

"I really like your hair."

"... Uh, wait, sorry, I was thinking of someone else."

"Your hair's okay too, I guess."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

At least then my character could have ignored it/teased them/been offended/whatever on IC terms.

I wouldn't pass over someone's slip of a tongue, but if someone attacked the red robed templar instead of red haired stepchild and the POF templar wouldn't accept that it was a mistake, that it's player complaint worthy.

Is like to clarify that I've always honored people asking to ignore mistakes, but I don't expect anyone to extend the same to me, so I never ask.  I roll with them.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I feel it's unfair to burden players with an OOC take-back if you have a slip of the tongue, since they're the ones that are going to have to put all the effort in ignoring it (assuming it's something plot-related or personal).

I draw the line where things don't make sense in game. I think this judgement has to be made by the player who made the mistake and they need to be as objective as possible.

Quote from: spicemustflow on June 22, 2012, 05:16:44 AM
I wouldn't pass over someone's slip of a tongue, but if someone attacked the red robed templar instead of red haired stepchild and the POF templar wouldn't accept that it was a mistake, that it's player complaint worthy.

I suspect the outcome of the complaint would be something along the lines of "Them's the breaks.  Dead is dead.  Type more carefully in the future."

Protip:
http://www.daskeyboard.com/   - the only way to chop muthaf*ckers up with bone swords!

June 24, 2012, 09:55:40 AM #61 Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:42:23 AM by Bluefae
Quote from: DustMight on June 22, 2012, 07:54:09 AM
Quote from: spicemustflow on June 22, 2012, 05:16:44 AM

I suspect the outcome of the complaint would be something along the lines of "Them's the breaks.  Dead is dead.  Type more carefully in the future."

Having been in a (somewhat) similar situation but from the red-haired stepchild's perspective . . . I suspect you're right.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

June 24, 2012, 04:52:12 PM #62 Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:59:32 PM by maxid
Quote from: Spoon on June 22, 2012, 07:36:56 AM
I feel it's unfair to burden players with an OOC take-back if you have a slip of the tongue, since they're the ones that are going to have to put all the effort in ignoring it (assuming it's something plot-related or personal).

I draw the line where things don't make sense in game. I think this judgement has to be made by the player who made the mistake and they need to be as objective as possible.

The BURDEN of having to be a respectful person on an OOC level, instead of trying to win on the OOC level?  Or, what burden are you talking about?  

I agree if it's a silly mistake you should roll with it, but if the other guy asks me to ignore it, I've got a big enough IC/OOC divide to be able to keep a consistent character.  I do it with lots of things, locations of water, certain mobs, some of the ins and outs of culture depending on what citystate I lived in in the past, still-living pcs that outlive three to four of my own pcs, and whom I interact with across that many pcs, due to them being so incredibly mobile/wandery.  You're put into situations almost every day you log in where you have more OOC knowledge than you do IC knowledge.  You can hang with an ooc slipup, I'm guarantee it.

vvv Wisest man in the thread right here. vvv

I really find it difficult to understand what is such a big deal about pretending not to know something. This is a permadeath mud.

This is a mud where you can play a character who is part of a deeply secret magicker mushroom worshipping cult, bent on destruction of all kadius via infiltration into the house and awaiting the sign of the moon turning pink, where all of the Kadian blood children will be slain in the same day. And then a week later, playing a sponsored role Kadian overseer with a personality of a Mother hen who birthed two beautiful Kadian children and are complimenting her First Hunter who happens to be part of that very cult and a mentor of your own previous character.

If a player cannot separate OOC knowledge and IC knowledge, I find that very very troubling.

There was a situation at one point, where my character met some others in the middle of the desert and after 3-4 minutes of conversation, just ... attacked him. I dont remember what exactly I typed to mistype that, but that was pretty puzzling. And I 'did' ask oocly to ignore it. Went something like, ooc: I uhh ... dont know how to even explain that ICly. Please ignore? And they did just that. Any attempt at making it ICly, would've been ... weird for me. To be honest, I would've probably ended up storing, I would've felt so out of sync with a character. Only way I could explain it would be some types of ... bouts of aggression, or madness, or magicks, or whatever. All of that I could've portrayed easily, but none of that would've been in sync with how the character was.

My personal opinion. If you make an ooc mistake like that. "Do" spend a moment to figure out how to make it IC. Bad control over an element if you cast a spell, or being drunk, being tired and mixing up psi or say, or whatever. But ... if it feels jarring and weird and totally not how your character is. Ask oocly to ignore it.

Quote from: Dar on June 24, 2012, 06:18:09 PM
My personal opinion. If you make an ooc mistake like that. "Do" spend a moment to figure out how to make it IC. Bad control over an element if you cast a spell, or being drunk, being tired and mixing up psi or say, or whatever. But ... if it feels jarring and weird and totally not how your character is. Ask oocly to ignore it.

I think this a good general rule, Dar.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

June 25, 2012, 10:45:23 AM #65 Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:51:06 AM by Creslin
Quote from: maxid on June 21, 2012, 11:52:41 PM
It is jarring, unrealistic, and bad Rp to react to an obvious code typo (k not l, 'psi, etc.)

You're a jerk if you demand to keep it IC when asked not to.

Agreed, if it's an obvious mistake and you're asked OOCly to ignore it then you probably should...  :-[

Quote from: Dar on June 24, 2012, 06:18:09 PM

There's no blanket solution to problems like this. It really has to be taken on a case by case basis, sometimes you can roll with it and make it IC, some times it wouldn't make sense to do so. You just need to decide which category the situation falls under and react accordingly.

Someone once asked me and some others to ignore sekret magickal effects that were accidentally still left on while they were in a public place. Nope!

A say mistaken for a psi, well, the cat's out of the bag and that's easy to roll with ICly for everyone involved. Probably won't ignore that.

Mis-aimed tells, ludicrous "k" kisses, an out of the blue accidental attack that has no serious detrimental effects (murdering someone or hitting them with poison is serious)... I totally roll with an ooc ignore, or never treat them as IC to begin with. The point is, there's a gradient here. Some stuff just can't rightly be ignored, even if it was an accident.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on June 26, 2012, 10:04:55 PM
Someone once asked me and some others to ignore sekret magickal effects that were accidentally still left on while they were in a public place. Nope!

A say mistaken for a psi, well, the cat's out of the bag and that's easy to roll with ICly for everyone involved. Probably won't ignore that.

Mis-aimed tells, ludicrous "k" kisses, an out of the blue accidental attack that has no serious detrimental effects (murdering someone or hitting them with poison is serious)... I totally roll with an ooc ignore, or never treat them as IC to begin with. The point is, there's a gradient here. Some stuff just can't rightly be ignored, even if it was an accident.

I'm with this.

I've seen and made a few "Oh shit did I just say that out loud" mistakes, but luckily I've never seen anyone try to protest it OOCly.

It's a story game.  And, as stated, there are some magickal effects that you wouldn't 'accidentally' leave on, because of how the affect you, etc.  You're trying to 'win', that's the wrong attitude to have.  MUDs are not perfect parallels of reality, and the interface sometimes throws people off.  If they're willing to roll with it IC, I am too.  But if they ask me politely and explain that it was an OOC snafu then I, as a respectful player who realizes that this is an exercise in telling stories, not an exercise in WINNING, will quietly ignore it. 

You're looking at this from the wrong perspective if you're seeking to jump on someone for a mistake, and that's actually pretty detrimental to the game.  I can't make you stop, but it smacks of hack and slash pvp mentality over a focus on -roleplaying- and -storytelling-.

Quote from: maxid on July 01, 2012, 06:08:22 PM

It's a story game.  And, as stated, there are some magickal effects that you wouldn't 'accidentally' leave on, because of how the affect you, etc.  You're trying to 'win', that's the wrong attitude to have.  MUDs are not perfect parallels of reality, and the interface sometimes throws people off.  If they're willing to roll with it IC, I am too.  But if they ask me politely and explain that it was an OOC snafu then I, as a respectful player who realizes that this is an exercise in telling stories, not an exercise in WINNING, will quietly ignore it. 

You're looking at this from the wrong perspective if you're seeking to jump on someone for a mistake, and that's actually pretty detrimental to the game.  I can't make you stop, but it smacks of hack and slash pvp mentality over a focus on -roleplaying- and -storytelling-.

I love you.

Really, I think it depends on whether or not the person who makes the gaffe, attempts to oocly correct it before anyone has a chance to react ICly.

If someone walks into a bar from the road (as opposed to from a private room) glowing and lit up like a christmas tree, with a ball of light over their head...

that means they showed up in the city and walked around like that, to get -to- the bar. That means, all those NPCs and VNPCs had plenty of opportunity to respond, but the fact that the code doesn't notice it for an entire 25 movements from the gate outside, doesn't excuse you from not "look me"ing at least once during those 25 blocks. And so no, I'm not going to ignore it. You had 25 rooms to fix it, you didn't. You -should've- already been guard-ganked and never would have made it INTO the bar in the first place.

On the other hand - if you walk into the gate, and I'm at the gate, and you're glowing, and the soldiers don't stop you, and you ooc "uh I wasn't here just now" and immediately turn away - then I'll ignore it, and pretend I haven't seen you yet, and you get that do-over.

On the other OTHER hand...I might not -want- to make a big issue of it, even if you had 25 rooms to fix it and didn't fix it even after you walked into the bar. So I might give you the do-over if you run away before I have a chance to type out my emote of shock and terror.

But please don't show up and -expect- me to pretend you didn't just walk through the city gate, up 25 blocks to the bar, and sit down at the bar with a ball of light bouncing on your head. I might, I might not - but don't expect it. It's not my responsibility. And in fact, I'd say it's -more- my responsibility, to wish up and ask that the bartender be animated to react to it.

Unless, again, you turn tail before I have a chance to finish typing out my emote. But once someone has reacted, it's too late. It's happened to me - I walked in with something magicky in my possession, and a PC reacted to it. I hated that I was that careless, but I rolled with it because the reaction already happened so I couldn't take it back.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

We should generally cut each other as much slack as possible, and especially look out for new players, who might make a lot of mistakes and be easily stressed out over what seems out of their design and control.

But not screwing up too bad as a player is one of the minigames.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I feel like I've gained a GDB achievement or something, being accused of a play to win, pvp mentality.  ::) It wasn't a situation my PC or I jumped on for benefit (in fact, no one did, from what I recall). That sort of thing is a matter of game world integrity. You don't walk into a bar with magick all over you and just ooc a "my bad" and expect a group of PCs (or NPCs) to just go along with it. Such a situation is something that deserves to be reacted to. Armageddon is a world in which we role-play and story-tell about a land where it is fucking dangerous to be a wielder of magick.

Trying to win? Give me a break. It's not a "gotcha" moment, it's one of those situations where the mistake is too big to ignore.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I don't think a mistake can be too big to ignore. Maybe I'm just really good at ignoring things, who knows.

July 05, 2012, 12:15:26 AM #74 Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:16:20 AM by Yam
Quote from: Zoltan on July 04, 2012, 02:18:46 PM

It's a story game.  And, as stated, there are some magickal effects that you wouldn't 'accidentally' leave on, because of how the affect you, etc.  You're trying to 'win', that's the wrong attitude to have.  MUDs are not perfect parallels of reality, and the interface sometimes throws people off.  If they're willing to roll with it IC, I am too.  But if they ask me politely and explain that it was an OOC snafu then I, as a respectful player who realizes that this is an exercise in telling stories, not an exercise in WINNING, will quietly ignore it.  

You're looking at this from the wrong perspective if you're seeking to jump on someone for a mistake, and that's actually pretty detrimental to the game.  I can't make you stop, but it smacks of hack and slash pvp mentality over a focus on -roleplaying- and -storytelling-.

I feel like I've gained a GDB achievement or something, being accused of a play to win, pvp mentality.  ::) It wasn't a situation my PC or I jumped on for benefit (in fact, no one did, from what I recall). That sort of thing is a matter of game world integrity. You don't walk into a bar with magick all over you and just ooc a "my bad" and expect a group of PCs (or NPCs) to just go along with it. Such a situation is something that deserves to be reacted to. Armageddon is a world in which we role-play and story-tell about a land where it is fucking dangerous to be a wielder of magick.

Trying to win? Give me a break. It's not a "gotcha" moment, it's one of those situations where the mistake is too big to ignore.
Whoops thought I was in the wrong thread.

Still not cool to post on the forums

If your PC is The gith-faced homeless man and you walk into tavern, inside Lord Noble Snob-Face tries to " l homeless" only to "k homeless" by mistake, you just have to be quick enough on the draw to " pemote mouth open wide, tongue kisses ~snob-face, his drool running down his chin. in response to %snob-face affection " before the other guy can be like "OOC that didn't happen just now" Then if they still do the OOC, you can be like " shout (tearing his shirt as he falls to his knees) Why do you deny our love!!!" Then if you get killed it was worth it.

Quote from: timb on July 05, 2012, 01:49:05 AM
If your PC is The gith-faced homeless man and you walk into tavern, inside Lord Noble Snob-Face tries to " l homeless" only to "k homeless" by mistake, you just have to be quick enough on the draw to " pemote mouth open wide, tongue kisses ~snob-face, his drool running down his chin. in response to %snob-face affection " before the other guy can be like "OOC that didn't happen just now" Then if they still do the OOC, you can be like " shout (tearing his shirt as he falls to his knees) Why do you deny our love!!!" Then if you get killed it was worth it.

You drunk, son.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Well it was the 4TH and all ;D

Besides how can one ic be drunk, if they're not ooc drunk?

I always leave it IC. If i freudian slip something meant for the way. bg deal. That's part of the fun. Especially if I am playing a political pc at the time.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Why is the person that chooses not to ignore a mistake an asshole?

I can't really remember if this sort of thing has ever happened to me, aside from silly little things like people typing "k" instead of "l", but..... if someone accidentally says instead of thinks that they're going to follow my character home and kill him, and then asks me to ignore that... they're kind of an asshole.

I can understand maxid's point about storytelling and such, but come on. I'm not convinced that stories exist where people have this sort of infallibility that prevents them from occasionally fucking up. Cowboy up and take it if you fuck up. Roll with it.. create a more interesting story than some sterile magically perfect thing.

Noone is saying you shouldn't roll with it sometimes, what we're saying is it's assholish if you're asked to ignore an obviously ooc mistake and you choose to disrespect your fellow player and force a potentially out of character mistake on them. Only that person knows if it would be possibly in character for that character to make the mistake or not. There's no difference in my mind between a mistargetted emote and messing up a think, say, psi, etc.

Should we hold you to:

You mistarget an emote and apparently your character grabs a templar's breast and gropes it. (Something your character would never do in a million years according to their background and how you play them.)
You OOC: Whoops, my bad. Wrong target, ignore please.
They know it was obviously an OOC mistake as your lover and the templar have a similar keyword and the templar entered just before your emote came out.
Should that templar just ignore your request and have your character executed?

Someone mistypes, intending to psi to their partner Yeah I'm packing that brick of spice on me. Good thing noone here in 'Nak knows and instead, because of a typo it comes out guy says: "psi Yeah I'm packing that brick of spice on me. Good thing noone here in 'Nak knows."
You know it was an OOC mistake.
They OOC: Whoops, typo'd ignore that please.
Should everyone around there just ignore that player's request even though: What the hell does "psi" mean icly. And it was an obvious OOC mistake?

Sure, if the mistake isn't obviously OOC and can be a fitting mistake for your character to make, then roll with it. If it's obviously OOC and the player asks you to ignore it, you should.  I agree with what someone else said earlier about trying to hold onto such mistakes against your fellow players as IC against their wishes, it's attempting to "win" using OOC information.

I'm in the some mistakes are too big to ignore boat.  You accidentally cast a spell with your hidden magicker in front of me?  That will not be fixed with an 'ooc plz ignore.'  Will I comply with your request?  Maybe, but I wouldn't feel compelled to.  Sometimes you accidentally walk off a cliff, the code doesn't give you a re-do.

I don't think that anyone is actually arguing that they wouldn't ignore the smaller stuff.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Half the fun of this game is that, MUSH-unlike, we surprise the player as well as the character.  Making mistakes that steal another player's plot-innocence is not cool.  That's the crucial difference between "let's redo the part where I attacked you with an axe" and "let's redo the part where I successfully defiled the land."
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I think it is abuse of ooc to ask for something that happened ic to be ignored even if it was an ooc mistake.  No coming back from a mantis head.  If you idle in the desert, and go to the bathroom and a huge beetle eats your pc...does staff resurrect?   If you accidentally attack the templar because of a mis-target and you die do you get a redo?   
If someone asked me if I would pretend it never happened...I would, but it shouldn't be asked of.  Its not winning or not winning...its like powergaming.   Asking for redo on all your follies.  Mulligan....Your character can make that mistake.  They just did. Don't talk to four people at the same time.  K templar...Say (looking down) Uhh nice shoes Lord templar.  Redos are like power emotes.  Your character is too good to make a mistake, bullshit.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

July 10, 2012, 06:51:07 AM #84 Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 06:59:08 AM by X-D
I once had a mage wearing seeable affects...the game crashed while he was doing something magicky, because of that after the crash the game did not know what to do with him, so, it returned him to his starting location when I logged in...starting meaning after you point in the hall of kings.

So, I enter the game with him, not knowing this of course, and whammo, enter into a crowd of people in a certain tavern.

Totally OOC reason to be someplace with affects on, and when I OOC'd on the matter, nobody complained. If anybody would have tried to get me to "play it out" I would have made Malifaxis look like a care bear.

If somebody makes an OOC mistake and asks you to ignore it, then you ignore it, if you think they are taking advantage in some way then you file a complaint...but you still ignore it till staff says otherwise.

Now of course there are certain times when you have to play it out, but this is never decided by the players or even staff for that matter, it is decided by code. If you target the wrong person and they die, or your PC does, well, there will be no res so code has decided you have to play it out. But other then that type of thing you should respect a persons wishes on the matter...again, if all else fails, there is the request tool.

QuoteYou accidentally cast a spell with your hidden magicker in front of me?  That will not be fixed with an 'ooc plz ignore.

It should be...not like you could accidently cast a spell...Oh hey, I accidently made these gestures and spoke these words with the intent to channel this power to do this thing...Um...no.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job