I'd like to discourage...

Started by cyberpatrol_735, August 08, 2009, 03:14:40 AM

I have no problem with someone using Lt or Sgt, I will read it as if the character is saying the full word, not the individiual letters like s-g-t. They are both common shorthand for the full rank anyway. Who really would say I saw 'L-t Jones sleeping with the S-g-t Whites wife.'? Not me. If I am feeling lazy or am tired, I'm going to shorthand the shit out of either and both. Lie-u-ten-ant and sarge-ant.
I don't like Merc, because phonetically, it sounds more like shorthand for merchant than it would be for a word like mercenary. Quite frankly however, I don't care if you use merc. I will look at how your context weighs in on the current topic and decide if it makes more sense as a merchant or mercenary. I've always liked sell-sword more than mercenary anyway. Sell sword shows that the person is only capable of selling a sword, while mercenary almost sounds like it has mercy in it. I don't know about you, but I am not going to pay extra for mercy.

Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on October 20, 2009, 05:54:07 PM
The tall, muscular man says, in sirihish:
      "..."

That breaks my immersion so hard. So hard, people. Please don't.

Ergh. I'm guilty of this. Didn't realize that everybody else was doing it, too. ;)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: PurifiedDrinkingWater on October 20, 2009, 05:07:04 PM
Using abbreviations such as LT, SGT, even Merc which I see a lot. 99% of the population is illiterate and when I hear these abbreviations I cringe at my keyboard, attempt to question the person IC and act illiterate yet they say ICly it's just an abbreviation. This is a pet-peeve of mine.

I remember a Bynner who refused to say anything but "the Lt."

I kept asking her what the hell an "eltee" was. 8)

I'd like to discourage wireless internet sucking.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

"..."

To me it just seems like someone opening their mouth and nothing coming out but a squeak.  It doesn't bother me - but then, I've always been an underground supporter of unconventional behavior.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: saquartey on October 20, 2009, 07:46:27 PM
I've always imagined Sirihish to be like Arabic.  A slightly rough, vowel-heavy language.  I'd imagine the North and the South have very strong accents and possibly differing dialects.

Oddly enough, I've used arabic-based words as bendune. :-D
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: LauraMars on October 21, 2009, 12:17:48 AM
      "..."

To me it just seems like someone opening their mouth and nothing coming out but a squeak.  It doesn't bother me - but then, I've always been an underground supporter of unconventional behavior.

Yeah, sometimes I think that gets the point across better than simply emoting or actually typing out words.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jhunter on October 21, 2009, 02:06:39 AM
      "..."

Yeah, sometimes I think that gets the point across better than simply emoting or actually typing out words.
I personally think they should just do EMOTE opens his mouth to say something but just closes it, looking thoughtful.

The ... is really ooc, like typing BRB I gotta go BIO

"..."

I agree... I like it.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I'd like to discourage people from feeling that they have to "win" at Armageddon.  Not everything is going to go your way, and sometimes that makes for the most fun roleplay.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Quote from: Niamh on October 21, 2009, 03:29:05 AM
I'd like to discourage people from feeling that they have to "win" at Armageddon.  Not everything is going to go your way, and sometimes that makes for the most fun roleplay.

This. Losing is Fun.

But sometimes winning would also be nice. :)
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Quote from: Jdr on October 21, 2009, 07:00:36 AM
Quote from: Niamh on October 21, 2009, 03:29:05 AM

This. Losing is Fun.

One of the reasons I stored my most long lived character is that he kept winning... at everything.  At least in his and my eyes.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Yeah, winning isn't all its cracked up to be. You win and then you realize that you can't win anything else. And then you're bored. The more difficult you make things for yourself, the more fun you'll have, in my opinion.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: Cerelum on October 21, 2009, 02:07:48 AM
     "..."

I personally think they should just do EMOTE opens his mouth to say something but just closes it, looking thoughtful.

The ... is really ooc, like typing BRB I gotta go BIO

I guess I don't get it. How exactly is it OOC? To me, it's the same -exact- thing as "emote opens his mouth but nothing comes out" or "emote opens is mouth but only an unintelligable sound comes out."

The emote doesn't break my immersion, but the "..." with nothing else does. If you want to attach an emote TO the "..." then that's probably much better. But by itself with no emote, to me, it breaks immersion. And I would prefer not to get my immersion broken.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

That's not my question. My question is: "Is it one really correct/incorrect vs. the other?"

Technically speaking, "..." is not something that can be said. You can't utter that. An ellipsis is to be used to indicate an omission or pause between words, in writing; this is not a pause, it's an absence. So yes, it's OOC in that way.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I've seen it used in books before. I can't think of exactly where at the moment and I would like to think that it isn't as common as it seems to be if it's incorrect usage. Anyone else want to chime in on it who might know better than us?

Quote from: Gimfalisette on October 22, 2009, 02:48:46 PM
Technically speaking, "..." is not something that can be said. You can't utter that. An ellipsis is to be used to indicate an omission or pause between words, in writing; this is not a pause, it's an absence. So yes, it's OOC in that way.

Technically speaking, you'll get over it.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I have to agree with Gimf.

I would prefer
Speechless and slack-jawed, the tall, muscular man says, in sirihish:
  "..."

to
  "..."

The first few times I saw
  "..."

I stared at the monitor and thought "Huh? Why would someone do that?".  In short, it conveyed no meaning whatever to me and, in fact, I wondered if it were a typo.  Now I know it is deliberate but it still does not convey anything to me.

IMO it's about the same as

"!!!"

or
  "?"
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

The medium is text.

I've seen it in many novels...which are also text.

Aside from thinking it is less then creative, I have no problem with the usage.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I'll chime in and add that simply typing in:
say ....

Would be at least a little jarring for me.

On the other hand, I'd still respond to it simply because in a text based medium and based on context in which it's found, it could mean any number of things, such as the "shock" emotion, described in an above post.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on October 22, 2009, 05:24:27 PM
I'll chime in and add that simply typing in:
say ....

Would be at least a little jarring for me.

On the other hand, I'd still respond to it simply because in a text based medium and based on context in which it's found, it could mean any number of things, such as the "shock" emotion, described in an above post.

You give the tall, muscular man a stack of obsidian coins.
The tall, muscular man says: "Thanks :D"
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I don't know what kind of novels X - D has been reading, but I have never read any novel that included anything remotely resembling this:

Julia's eyes went wide with shock from Chet's accusation. In a hurt tone, she responded, "..."

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.