I'd like to discourage...

Started by cyberpatrol_735, August 08, 2009, 03:14:40 AM

To be honest, it's way more rewarding to get the entire city talking about something and then see the rumor pop up on the board without one's own need to write it. If you do the footwork well, the rest of it just takes care of itself.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

If you are doing some petty crap, sure you may want to do some footwork before posting a rumor.

I think if you witnessed something that was hugely obvious, like an army marching down the road. Go ahead and post with a wild rumor speculating what they were doing. I don't think its needed or appropriate for the player to have to go around spreading rumors and paying people off for something half the city saw. In fact, I think it'd be a bit jarring and odd if no-one posted about such events.

With how restrictive and boring some seem to want the boards to be, might as well just get rid of player access. Make players have to submit the rumor via the request tool and have some poor bastard staff approve/disapprove.

You're looking at the board from your characters perspective, instead of the whole cities, which it's being spread through. If you want to add in speculation you should at least balance with some facts and other accounts, not just your characters own.

The use of Mister/Miss before rank then name, or Sir/Ma'am with rank then name. Its jarring. It bothers me.
A man without a sense of humor is a dick without balls. Things just don't work right.

Quote from: Rhyden on October 20, 2009, 01:54:20 PM
I would like to encourage more bearded women and men wearing dresses to put an end to this gender role situation.

Not sure if people have posted this but..

Using abbreviations such as LT, SGT, even Merc which I see a lot. 99% of the population is illiterate and when I hear these abbreviations I cringe at my keyboard, attempt to question the person IC and act illiterate yet they say ICly it's just an abbreviation. This is a pet-peeve of mine.

Also, you're not immune to pain or injury. As much as we all love to play tough characters. Just because you cans sleep back up to your proper health level to regenerate doesn't mean you're not injured. Many players know better than this and are letting powergaming blind their common judgment. Byn especially are notorious for getting badly injured, sleeping it off at sawbones and coming straight back for sparring. I'd love to see staff giving permanent injuries to people like this who are ignoring injuries.

I like logs and stories as much as the next person, maybe even a little more, but...

I'd like to discourage people from posting logs and detailed IC stories on the GDB.  We have a submission section for these things because the staff is supposed to approve them for public viewing.  Even if you're a 10-year veteran and are certain nothing contained is current/secret/harmful, it sets a bad precedent for other players who may not have as good judgment about what events and information is OK to spread on the GDB.

Quote from: PurifiedDrinkingWater on October 20, 2009, 05:07:04 PM

Using abbreviations such as LT, SGT, even Merc which I see a lot. 99% of the population is illiterate and when I hear these abbreviations I cringe at my keyboard, attempt to question the person IC and act illiterate yet they say ICly it's just an abbreviation. This is a pet-peeve of mine.

Also, you're not immune to pain or injury. As much as we all love to play tough characters. Just because you cans sleep back up to your proper health level to regenerate doesn't mean you're not injured. Many players know better than this and are letting powergaming blind their common judgment. Byn especially are notorious for getting badly injured, sleeping it off at sawbones and coming straight back for sparring. I'd love to see staff giving permanent injuries to people like this who are ignoring injuries.

I agree with LT and SGT and try to nip those in the bud whenever I spot them. Merc seems alright, though... isn't it? It's not a spelling thing or abbreviation... ah, wait, I see where the problem is. Mercenary. Merc, pronounced "merck"; no way for the illiterate to know that "c" sound when it's shortened. Eh, I still don't think that's too bad.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

"Merc" I don't mind horribly. It doesn't shatter my immersion. "Lt" and "Sgt" are terrible. If you need to abbreviate those (they are honestly a pain in the ass to type out), then use "sarge" and "l'tenant" instead, or something like that.

I hate seeing this:

The tall, muscular man says, in sirihish:
      "..."

That breaks my immersion so hard. So hard, people. Please don't.

But it's funny.

Sometimes funny is worth it.

Quote from: a strange shadow on October 20, 2009, 06:30:09 PM
Sometimes funny is worth it.

Truer words were never spoken.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

I've seen Fathi do it and it's funny. She gets a pass. I also don't mind it over the Way, terribly, because it makes sense when you want to convey blankness but can't emote.

But I've seen it done other times and it was not funny at all.

Stop following people over 10 rooms just to take a look. There are CROWDS in the street.  Virtual ones, but still people.
Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.

The only abbreviation I ever use is Sanc.  Sanctuary is a word with a very clear syllable divider (okay, sorry, not a linguistics major) right in the middle - Sanc/tuary.  When you pronounce it, at least in my experience, the t blends and it becomes sanc(t)uary anyways.  And, people have a natural tendency to shorten place names.  This is because those words are no longer common nouns, but instead words that have their own shades of meaning.  I have found remarkably few words with such qualities, though.

Quote from: PurifiedDrinkingWater on October 20, 2009, 05:07:04 PM

I can't say I've ever seen anyone use Lt. or Sgt., but I disagree with you on "merc." I think it's a perfectly legitimate shortening of the word, like "sarge."
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

In sirihish, the word for "mercenary" actually sounds like "harbfenfluggennarfen," and we're just abbreviating it to "harb." That's why I can forgive the difference in actual pronunciation between the soft c in "mercenary" and the hard c in "merc."

Quote from: Gimfalisette on October 20, 2009, 07:23:07 PM
In sirihish, the word for "mercenary" actually sounds like "harbfenfluggennarfen," and we're just abbreviating it to "harb." That's why I can forgive the difference in actual pronunciation between the soft c in "mercenary" and the hard c in "merc."

Quote from: aruna on October 20, 2009, 07:36:02 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on October 20, 2009, 07:23:07 PM

Harbfenfluggennarfen.

A blaherfaha fluggarf blarb blarb.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Imagining all game conversations in German is hilarious.

In Allanak they speak German, in Tuluk they speak French. This is probably why I love-hate both cities equally.

I've always imagined Sirihish to be like Arabic.  A slightly rough, vowel-heavy language.  I'd imagine the North and the South have very strong accents and possibly differing dialects.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on October 20, 2009, 07:44:30 PM
In Allanak they speak German, in Tuluk they speak French. This is probably why I love-hate both cities equally.

No. In Tuluk, most people speak the overwrought Thoreauian English used by first year philosophy majors.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on October 20, 2009, 05:54:07 PM
"Merc" I don't mind horribly. It doesn't shatter my immersion. "Lt" and "Sgt" are terrible. If you need to abbreviate those (they are honestly a pain in the ass to type out), then use "sarge" and "l'tenant" instead, or something like that.

I hate seeing this:

The tall, muscular man says, in sirihish:
      "..."

That breaks my immersion so hard. So hard, people. Please don't.

+1.

Also, use the word "peer" with extreme caution. I cannot easily count how many times I've seen PCs pee in the damnedest ways because of a slight typo. Fortunately, I am usually laughing as my immersion is shattered into a thousand pieces.
Amor Fati

There's also 'rupert' or 'louie' to use for Lieutenant, but you'd never say that to their face.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.