I'd like to discourage...

Started by cyberpatrol_735, August 08, 2009, 03:14:40 AM

Quote from: Zoltan on October 26, 2009, 11:45:42 PM
I agree with Sandstone and Staggerlee. For some characters, sex may be the only viable option for really getting some uninterrupted alone time with another. I've made some extremely sexually active characters in my time, and I don't think anyone could say that they were uninvolved with the world or not "doing anything". Still, I think Niamh has a point about people hiding away and only doing that, being kind of isolated. As others have stated, that can be true with just about any task. I think RP'd sex just has a stigma to it. A fade always accomplishes the broad story-telling goal, but frankly, I enjoy playing it out sometimes because it allows me to do something different with my characters -- to play out a different aspect of them. Sometimes it's more involving that way. I have sex regularly IRL; I don't come to Arm to "get off". It's just fun and interesting to play it out sometimes. I'd never pressure another player into it, and in fact, would file a player complaint right then and there if someone tried pressuring me into RPing it (instead of fading). I don't think people that play it out more often than me are "weird" or playing wrong, either. But then again, this is the GDB: 50% of its function seems to be making people self-conscious about how they play.

Amen.

It becomes 'play like me, or you're not playing right'. That's what I see alot of.
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

Quote from: musashi on October 26, 2009, 09:52:55 PM
Quote from: Jengal on October 26, 2009, 07:48:20 PM
Quote from: tortall on October 26, 2009, 06:17:38 PM
Quote from: musashi on October 26, 2009, 07:03:32 AM
I'd like to discourage folks from so readily picking the PC's out of the crowd in rooms that are supposed to be crowded with people.
So wer're supposed to have a long conversation with npcs/vnpcs?

That seems sort of silly.

I don't know about silly, since when done well bringing a vnpc to life can really help enrich the scene, but it would be silly the way you phrased it. It's not what I was talking about either.

I was referring more to situations where PC A walks into the tavern, or even down the busy street and within a half second of arriving has been "looked" at and "contacted" to get the sdesc since they had a hood or facewrap on.

I'd prefer it if folks waited until the person got an emote out or the like to express what they were doing, and let the interaction develope naturally from that.

Ooh now I get you :)

But then again, this is the GDB: 50% of its function seems to be making people self-conscious about how they play.

Unfortunately accurate.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote from: Bluefae on October 27, 2009, 09:46:43 AM
But then again, this is the GDB: 50% of its function seems to be making people self-conscious about how they play.

Unfortunately accurate.

Well the entire idea of an "I'd like to discourage..." thread is something that the staff have condemned in the past, and rightly so.
God knows the GDB needed another platform for players to bitch about each other's rp.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

If you have a complaint about someone's RP, please use the player complaint tool rather than the GDB as a way to deal with it. 
It is not the place of players to police the roleplay of other players.  Lead by example.

Locking this thread, as I don't think it or the other thread accomplish anything at all.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.