I'd like to discourage...

Started by cyberpatrol_735, August 08, 2009, 03:14:40 AM

I'd want to have kids so they could be the buffer between me and that scrab.

I'd like to discourage people from preventing their PCs in interacting with other PCs on a sexual level. Even it just fade to black, all PCs want to be loved.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on October 25, 2009, 09:15:18 PM

I'd like to discourage people from preventing their PCs in interacting with other PCs on a sexual level. Even it just fade to black, all PCs want to be loved kanked like the filthy mongrels they are.

jcljules:

Yes and no. I would think it would also depend largely on things like your income level (is there enough food to go around?), your work situation (who is going to take care of the kid while mummy and daddy go hunt kryl?), whether you intend to keep them around or sell them into slavery (do I hear five small? six?), and a lot of other factors.

Not to mention childhood diseases like maar pox, and junior learning how dangerous shit is, too.

Whether clanned or indie, both sides have a lot of things that need to be taken into account for things when you 'do' have offspring.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: Delstro on October 25, 2009, 09:15:18 PM

I'd like to discourage people from preventing their PCs in interacting with other PCs on a sexual level. Even it just fade to black, all PCs want to be loved.

I think that every character is going to have sexual urges, but, just as in the real world, characters are going to react to those urges differently, from sleeping with as many people possible to outright rejection of said urges (sexuality in Zalanthas doesn't have the same social stigmas that it does in the real world, but there are still plenty of reasons to experience sexual shame).  If there is an IC reason for someone's character to not "get it on", then passing up a sexual opportunity might be the right choice.

However, if I understand you correctly, the point you are trying to make is that people seem to be avoiding in-character sexual opportunities due to OOC reasons.  If that is the case, I agree with your discouragement, but I'd also like to add the caveat that you can never know with 100% certainty whether or not a character's reasons for turning down a sexual advancement are OOCly or ICly motivated.

Also, consider the fact that, while this is a game, some players may have significant others who are sensitive to things of this nature.  I know that I, personally, would never intentionally do anything in-game to distress my significant other, because, ultimately, I value her love far more than I value ArmageddonMUD.  That being the case though, I tend to plan ahead by strategically placing things my character's background and personality to justify such decisions ICly.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I think you should do more roleplay not centered around fucking.  Kill someone, betray someone, frame someone, but stop trying to fuck everyone on a text based game or any game for that manner.  Go fuck rl people instead.

Quote from: Cerelum on October 25, 2009, 11:57:40 PM
I think you should do more roleplay not centered around fucking.  Kill someone, betray someone, frame someone, but stop trying to fuck everyone on a text based game or any game for that manner.  Go fuck rl people instead.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Sometimes, sex is a pretty good roleplay tool. You can use it casually as a way to seal a deal or partnership. You can use it as a prestige thing (Oh shit. I just screwed Noble FancyPants. She definately values me! ... umm yeh). You can do it to facilitate the most important thing ... the pillow talk. Or you can enjoy the teasing and flirting, without actually caring about the final result.

So yeah. Sex has it's place in Arm, for sure. Now, when 80% of your gameplay involved mudsexxing .... ooooyyy

I still prefer discouraging judging everyone without knowing why their characters do the things they do.

Now, of course not everyone's thought things out and their characters don't actually have reasons for doing what appears to be strange and/or stupid behavior, but some have very good reasons for doing those things.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

October 26, 2009, 02:14:28 AM #284 Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:21:42 AM by HTX
Quote from: Cerelum on October 25, 2009, 11:57:40 PM
I think you should do more roleplay not centered around fucking.  Kill someone, betray someone, frame someone, but stop trying to fuck everyone on a text based game or any game for that manner.  Go fuck rl people instead.

Can someone explain* to me why exactly mudsex should be more discouraged than, say, hunting in some lonely part of the world, or spending a lot of time crafting in your character's apartment/compound? I never hear complaints about such activities, only mudsex, yet all three of those activities often involve isolation from the larger playerbase and all three activities are presumably enjoyed by some players.

* Though admittedly I don't care about mudsexing myself.

Sex can only push so many plots so far, which is why I would discourage people from focusing so much on that, and encourage them to also focus on doing a bigger variety of things that get more plots in motion and keep them going.  You've got to ask yourself, if you spend all of your time holed up in some hidey hole screwing people, what are you really accomplishing and contributing to the game world?
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Quote from: Niamh on October 26, 2009, 05:35:55 AM
Sex can only push so many plots so far, which is why I would discourage people from focusing so much on that, and encourage them to also focus on doing a bigger variety of things that get more plots in motion and keep them going.  You've got to ask yourself, if you spend all of your time holed up in some hidey hole screwing people, what are you really accomplishing and contributing to the game world?

Venereal diseases.

People 'slanting' me a grin.

It's hard to do this without looking like a stroke victim.

I'd like to discourage folks from so readily picking the PC's out of the crowd in rooms that are supposed to be crowded with people.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on October 26, 2009, 07:03:32 AM
I'd like to discourage folks from so readily picking the PC's out of the crowd in rooms that are supposed to be crowded with people.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: tortall on October 26, 2009, 06:17:38 PM
So wer're supposed to have a long conversation with npcs/vnpcs?

That seems sort of silly.

Quote from: Jengal on October 26, 2009, 06:29:31 AM

Not really. I do a kind of lopsided grin IRL all the time, in which I sort of lift one corner of my mouth to express mild amusement and I don't look like a stroke victim.

I think you've just got an extremely exaggerated mental image of what a "slanted" grin looks like.

Quote from: HTX on October 26, 2009, 07:51:42 PM
Quote from: Jengal on October 26, 2009, 06:29:31 AM

Not really. I do a kind of lopsided grin IRL all the time, in which I sort of lift one corner of my mouth to express mild amusement and I don't look like a stroke victim.

I think you've just got an extremely exaggerated mental image of what a "slanted" grin looks like.

Well I can understand a lopsided grin like: :j
But a slanted grin makes me think of: "/

October 26, 2009, 08:29:28 PM #293 Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:40:43 PM by Aaron Goulet
Sex can only push so many plots so far, which is why I would discourage people from focusing so much on that, and encourage them to also focus on doing a bigger variety of things that get more plots in motion and keep them going.  You've got to ask yourself, if you spend all of your time holed up in some hidey hole screwing people, what are you really accomplishing and contributing to the game world?

I'd like to place some emphasis on the "variety of things" portion of what Niamh said here.  It's not that sex is necessarily bad, or that crafting in your apartment is bad, or that hunting in some lonely part of the world is bad; in fact, the latter two (and sometimes even the former) may be necessary for your character's livelihood.  I think what should be remembered, however, is that these things should typically kept in moderation, and balanced out with other (preferably social) activities.

Edit: For clarification, when I refer to "sex", I am not referring specifically to MUD-sex, but to fade-to-black situations as well.  (I tried the MUD-sex thing once or twice, and quite frankly, I feel it takes too long to justify in-game, and tends to accomplish nothing ICly.  Pillow talk, on the other hand...)
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

Agreed, too much of anything is probably not doing the character or the player or the game good. However for people up to their ears in as much interaction/intrigue as they can handle, a chance to go off and one-on-one with another character in a scene involving emotional and/or physical intimacy is a nice change of pace.

I would argue that sex is a great trigger for conflict, drama, motivation, neurosis, tragedy, jealousy, and so forth.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: Jengal on October 26, 2009, 07:48:20 PM
Quote from: tortall on October 26, 2009, 06:17:38 PM
So wer're supposed to have a long conversation with npcs/vnpcs?

That seems sort of silly.

I don't know about silly, since when done well bringing a vnpc to life can really help enrich the scene, but it would be silly the way you phrased it. It's not what I was talking about either.

I was referring more to situations where PC A walks into the tavern, or even down the busy street and within a half second of arriving has been "looked" at and "contacted" to get the sdesc since they had a hood or facewrap on.

I'd prefer it if folks waited until the person got an emote out or the like to express what they were doing, and let the interaction develope naturally from that.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: staggerlee on October 26, 2009, 09:51:33 PM

I would argue that sex is a great trigger for conflict, drama, motivation, neurosis, tragedy, jealousy, and so forth.

Welcome to Zalanthas High School!

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on October 26, 2009, 11:07:08 PM
Quote from: staggerlee on October 26, 2009, 09:51:33 PM

Welcome to Zalanthas High School!

It's funny because it's true.

I agree with Sandstone and Staggerlee. For some characters, sex may be the only viable option for really getting some uninterrupted alone time with another. I've made some extremely sexually active characters in my time, and I don't think anyone could say that they were uninvolved with the world or not "doing anything". Still, I think Niamh has a point about people hiding away and only doing that, being kind of isolated. As others have stated, that can be true with just about any task. I think RP'd sex just has a stigma to it. A fade always accomplishes the broad story-telling goal, but frankly, I enjoy playing it out sometimes because it allows me to do something different with my characters -- to play out a different aspect of them. Sometimes it's more involving that way. I have sex regularly IRL; I don't come to Arm to "get off". It's just fun and interesting to play it out sometimes. I'd never pressure another player into it, and in fact, would file a player complaint right then and there if someone tried pressuring me into RPing it (instead of fading). I don't think people that play it out more often than me are "weird" or playing wrong, either. But then again, this is the GDB: 50% of its function seems to be making people self-conscious about how they play.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples