I'd like to discourage...

Started by cyberpatrol_735, August 08, 2009, 03:14:40 AM

Yeah. As Lizzie's example shows, it's not a novel-writing technique to use an ellipsis by itself, it's a forum-post-writing technique, akin to using emoticons, as staggerlee points out. I don't think any of us wants to see "lol" used on a non-accidental basis in the game, either. For me, it's that same kind of thing: internet-speak. Internet-speak does not belong in IC usage in ARM.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Ellipsis_-_Typographical_rules/id/602559
QuoteIn Japanese manga, the ellipsis by itself represents speechlessness, usually as an admission of guilt or a response to being dumbfounded as a result of something that another person has just said or done. The dots may be vertical or horizontal in stacking, and there may be more than one row/column. The growing popularity of manga worldwide has extended this convention beyond the borders of Japan.

And interestingly enough, the only place I've seen it has been in Japanese RPG games (people might have remembered "..." appearing in the Final Fantasy games a few times). I guess it's possible people are just carrying it over.

Quote from: Cutthroat on October 22, 2009, 05:41:15 PM
http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Ellipsis_-_Typographical_rules/id/602559
QuoteIn Japanese manga, the ellipsis by itself represents speechlessness, usually as an admission of guilt or a response to being dumbfounded as a result of something that another person has just said or done. The dots may be vertical or horizontal in stacking, and there may be more than one row/column. The growing popularity of manga worldwide has extended this convention beyond the borders of Japan.

And interestingly enough, the only place I've seen it has been in Japanese RPG games (people might have remembered "..." appearing in the Final Fantasy games a few times). I guess it's possible people are just carrying it over.

This very well could be my own experience;  My inability to find at least a "decent" console-RPG that doesn't have a heavy Japanese influence.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Ellipses as part of a written dialogue have been around for quite some time, but yeah, no one should just be "say ..." instead of emoting a blank stare or confused look or whatever the hell it is they should be doing while speechless.  In manga or drawn medium it's acceptable because you have a picture to look at to see why there's a reaction lke that, but staring at a wall of text isn't quite the same thing.

In my experience though, a japanese ellipse and an english ellipse, while approximately equivalent, are not necessarily equal in meaning - and I've studied both languages enough that my basis isn't arbitrary.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

I would like to discourage people from  forcing their -opinions- on style onto others as hardcore right/wrong.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I would like to discourage people from trying to claim that something is being forced on them, when all that's happened is that players have talked about their likes and dislikes.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

You overhear: a male voice from above says, "..."
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: jcljules on October 22, 2009, 11:22:58 PM
You overhear: a male voice from above says, "..."

Or my favorite.

Someone says in sirihish,
   "..."
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I'd like to discourage people that try t--

> emote realizes this post has no point whatsoever.

It's time to eat some food.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Some people are easier to read than others.  (you all know people who can never play cards because they simply cannot hide expression what-so-ever)

I don't mind folks that >say ...    or     > emote looks shocked
as long as they understand that I'm going to assume their PC reads like an opened book (not a lot of hemotes going on there)
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

People who play off peak of killing apartment guards, and dragging guards outta their areas they inhabit.

Quote from: Cerelum on October 24, 2009, 04:11:45 AM
People who play off peak of killing apartment guards, and dragging guards outta their areas they inhabit.

I'd report that shit.  Can't think of many ways to do that without ignoring the (V)NPC population.  If someone is managing to do this in a realistic, IC manner, then kudos to them, but the odds are against him or her.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I'd like to discourage people from derailing threads, especially when the derailment contains things that are rude as well as unnecessary.

Yes, I deleted Yam's post.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Quote from: Niamh on October 24, 2009, 07:23:37 AM
I'd like to discourage people from derailing threads, especially when the derailment contains things that are rude as well as unnecessary.

Yes, I deleted Yam's post.

'Eat a bag of dicks' is a well established Armageddon meme of Ghost fame. It's about as harmless as threatening someone about their newbie boots.

It is also not on topic.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

I'd like to discourage people having their male pcs try and build harems.

WTF?

Monogamy=great
Polyamory(sp?)=great

But what is -with- all these male PCs that want 500 female pc mates... who can all be with 'only' the one pc?

Zalanthas != Utah.

kthnkxbai
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on October 25, 2009, 06:39:51 PM
I'd like to discourage people having their male pcs try and build harems.

WTF?

Monogamy=great
Polyamory(sp?)=great

But what is -with- all these male PCs that want 500 female pc mates... who can all be with 'only' the one pc?

Zalanthas != Utah.

kthnkxbai

Males can impregnate several females. It is in their best biological interest to do so.

It is in a female's best interest to find the best combination of genes and support to rear her young.

A powerful male might have many baby-making females. A powerful female might have many powerful guards, but one extra special male who has super-duper genes.

Quote from: Adiadochokinesis on October 25, 2009, 06:42:35 PM
A powerful male might have many baby-making females. A powerful female might have many powerful guards, but one extra special male who has super-duper genes.

Yeah, this is how I've always seen it working out in Zalanthas with powerful females with lots of lovers. Sort of like a 'queen bee,' and all the drones, but only one gets to impregnate the queen bee.

I'd like to discourage people from hoarding all their money in Nenyuk and never doing anything with it.

Spending coins is a great way to make interesting things happen.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I'd like to discourage the idea of casual sex type relationships on Arm

Have your whores, have your sexual favors, have your mates who are not necessarily "lifetime" --  but harsh conditions would favor sharing emotions and trust on some pretty deep levels.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on October 25, 2009, 09:01:45 PM

Have your whores, have your sexual favors, have your mates who are not necessarily "lifetime" --  but harsh conditions would favor sharing emotions and trust on some pretty deep levels.

Wouldn't this then encourage "casual sex type relationships"?
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: My 2 sids on October 25, 2009, 09:01:45 PM

I agree with this. I think some notion of perpetuation would be a big deal in Zalanthas as well - when your own life is so short, don't you want to have kids so you can 'survive' through them once a scrab has eaten you?