When I Was a Newbie...

Started by Archbaron, April 13, 2009, 06:28:24 PM

• I gave all my money to the water seller hoping he'd eventually fill up my skin.
  • I didn't realize that all the time intervals were exactly 10 minutes apart.
  • I thought the Byn was a clubhouse that gave you free food and water.
  • I had a mental image of the Caravan Road running north to south, not east to west, for whatever reason.
  • I thought water was so rare that I could trade it in exchange for anything, so I attempted all the time.
  • I had a character who's mother somehow learned to read.
  • I, on this same character, asked the Byn recruiter "Where to sign" when asking to join.
  • I played city rangers who spammed listen.
  • I thought that every templar was a PC and wondered why they never moved or acted.
  • I bowed to anyone and everyone who would help me with anything, which freaked them out and made them run away (obviously).
  • I sat in the Vivaduan temple all the time and watched the NPCs cast spells, thinking it was cool and totally a social norm.
  • I emoted sweating so well that I was accused of being a Vivaduan, and after being proved not, was give 500 sid from a bet.
  • I went to the well in the 'rinth on a southsider and claimed I went there all the time as a child to the people who summarily robbed and killed me.

What did you do?
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

On my very first PC, I died almost to a siltflyer after leaving the gates of Red Storm.  When some Kuraci found me at the village's north gates, naked (I had respawned) and resting up, I asked them to help me get my corpse back. Heh heh.  They helpfully steered me away from that and sent me packing, naked, on a kank to Luir's.

I tried to sell a militia weapon to the Salarri in Nak and got "loinclothed," i.e. the jailers took /everything/ my dude had and turned him loose with just a loincloth.  Fortunately, Sergeant Kroz of the Byn inducted my mostly naked ass and that kicked off my first long lived character on Arm.

When I was a newbie, I didn't give a shit about my stats, even as a warrior, which is really cool.

When I was a newbie, my characters always "grinned broadly."  That was my thing:  emote grins broadly.

I took someone's kank, hitched up outside The Sanc' back when Flint was still there and lead it away where I fought it, killed it, then skinned it.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I came from a H&S MUD with "socials". My first action wts to "poke noble". Yes. I poked Kojiro. Luckily he was really nice and took me aside and explained a few things to me. I then bombarded Ghardon with questions as I wondered around Nak completely lost.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I attacked the first mul I saw.
Free your hate.

I played in Tuluk
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I got robbed by PCs in 'Rinth, and managed to escape when the wind blew out their torch.

;D

I made an elf who was the child of some island tribals in the Silt Sea. He was from a d-elf tribe who ran from his family. I didn't know there were any differences between c-elves and d-elves. It just wrote "elf" there. Imms let me in without a comment, so I thought it was an awesome character :P

First command I tested was "e". Second command: "sleep". I thought it was cool that I could hear people laughing at me while I was asleep. It actually took a full strip and an attack while asleep for me to realize that this game does not allow sleeping.

Stated elf was also a thug in Red Storm because I thought the Red Storm docs sounded cool.

That elf died while trying to mug an NPC with a single short sword. I thought he was awesome because he had "good" stats and could attack people "viciously".

I crafted a lot of things without using tools and went broke.

I thought that wood was worthless and tried to craft them into trowels (which was the only thing I could figure out how to make).

I died from the RS crimcode, respawned south of the gates, and ended up walking into the sea during a sandstorm. Applied for a rez for that 2-hour character.

2nd elven warrior would beat up soldiers in Tuluk. Surprisingly, he was quite good at beating up the non-HG ones, even at 0 days. They didn't even try to kill him, just kept dragging his ass into jail. I died because I was practicing barrier in jail, and didn't know how to turn it off while taking on a HG soldier.

I thought that every assassin who invited me to their apartment wanted to have sex.

80% of this was from characters on a fake account that got banned, because I was used to multiplaying on other MUDs :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

• I played an elf.
  • I had my history edited by Belenos, since he pitied the fact I thought a "Guild" was a literal guild or clan-like thing. I was a guild assassin.
  • I didn't know how to use the "Inv" command.
  • I had never played a MUD before.
  • I got free water.
  • I had a Legionnaire fall in love with my elf.
  • The same legionnaire intended to become a Hlum noble and get equality for elves.
  • The same legionnaire publicly declared his love for my elf. Even as a limited-read newb, I thought that was a bad idea.
  • I joined the Byn and went south.
  • I never saw another Byn PC beside my recruiter.
  • I decided to "spar" with an NPC.
  • I had 7 days on that first PC.
  • On my next PC, I made sure to have nosave arrest on... Before accidently stealing from a noble NPC, with a guard.
  • On the PC after that, who started in 'Nak, I died to a Jozhal.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Taven on April 13, 2009, 09:45:00 PM

• I had never played a MUD before.
I respect you greatly for that. Hell, coming from years of playing other MUDs, Arm was difficult for me to pick up.
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Maso on April 13, 2009, 09:21:10 PM
I played in Tuluk

And I thought Kurac was the best clan EVER.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead." - Albert Einstein

Back when you started on meleth's circle, I trotted into the Trader's inn, proceeded to sit down on the floor, while trying to sit with a templar, call him sir and ask him where I could get a glowing beetle like his. This seemed to be back when every templar had the glowing irrig beetle around their head that I never see anymore.  I was summarily subdued, forced to lick some templar's boot and, much like real life, physically ejected from the establishment.

I applied for a character, and described his clothes in his main description.  I was rejected.

Sanvean saw that I was a new player, and helped me out.  A half-dozen emails back and forth, and I had a character approved.

I had a mental image in my head of Allanak flipped in a mirror, and I had my east and west mixed up.

I saw an item on the ground, and tried to pick it up by typing, "pick up dagger".  After 10 minutes later, it replied, "Pick what?"

I was a burglar, and I tried to pick open a door that was locked in the old red storm.  After 10 minutes later, it replied, "Pick with what lockpicks?"  I had a dagger, and I wanted to use that to pick the lock.  It didn't work.

I was walking around the bazaar, and someone shouted out something about being a whore, along with another dude saying he'll eat fire for 10 coins.  The whore started talking to me, and tried to hire me to shout out things about Kadius.  I said okay.  The next day, I started talking with her again, and she didn't respond.

Someone told me to go on an adventure, and follow him.  I did, and we went to the 'rinth, and into the well, and I fell down and got hurt.  He said, "let's sleep to get better."  So, he slept first, and then I slept next.  I died in my sleep, mysteriously.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on April 13, 2009, 10:36:12 PM
I had a mental image in my head of Allanak flipped in a mirror, and I had my east and west mixed up.
I had this problem too, only my norths and souths were flipped.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

I had the east west problem to for the longest time I'd imagine in my head that everything was the opposite of where it acutally was. Worked great in nak, no so well in the wilds.

When I was a newbie

-Not knowing about quit safe rooms, logged my first character out some where on templars way and logged back in the next morning only having to create another character
-Then I for some reason chose to play a female PC thinking that others would take it easier on her, I couldn't understand why nobody would talk to my first male.
-When I read the docs I took literally that psionics were bad, and promptly had my character freak out the first time someone contacted her, run out the gates and ended up being killed by a scrab.

-Created a human who was "raised by giants" and for some reason spoke like Yoda.
-He proceeded to join the Byn and was taught the ropes by the afformentioned Kroz, and a hunchback sergeant with a speach impediment.
-The Byn got me going in the right track and it's been somewhat smooth sailing ever since. 
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

Quote from: Durant on April 14, 2009, 12:01:41 AM
I had the east west problem to for the longest time I'd imagine in my head that everything was the opposite of where it acutally was. Worked great in nak, no so well in the wilds.

When I was a newbie

-Not knowing about quit safe rooms, logged my first character out some where on templars way and logged back in the next morning only having to create another character
-Then I for some reason chose to play a female PC thinking that others would take it easier on her, I couldn't understand why nobody would talk to my first male.
-When I read the docs I took literally that psionics were bad, and promptly had my character freak out the first time someone contacted her, run out the gates and ended up being killed by a scrab.

-Created a human who was "raised by giants" and for some reason spoke like Yoda.
-He proceeded to join the Byn and was taught the ropes by the afformentioned Kroz, and a hunchback sergeant with a speach impediment.
-The Byn got me going in the right track and it's been somewhat smooth sailing ever since. 

Sergeant Saitoh, I believe, was the hunch-backed one...or was his player's handle Saitorr...or both? Damn, that was a long time ago, hehe.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I ate every piece of fruit I found in the wilderness.

I attacked the beggar outside of Trader's and was promptly yelled at by a dwarf.  I explained to him I needed to make money and I had read the helpfiles that murdering people was one way to do so.  Apparently there was a line between OOC and IC I didn't quite understand...

I tried to pickpocket from someone in the Trader's Inn with my first elf.  They felt my hands and glared at me, then I promptly tried to steal from them again while they emoted all sorts of watching me things.

I fucked with Kurac and got owned.

I put spice in a bag, then put the bag in my pack, thinking I was so smart for hiding it.  It turns out that the guards at Allanak's gate actually search you better than I thought.

I tried to open and enter every door/building/area I could.

I broke into every apartment in Allanak within a real life two week period.  Then I decided to go to another city and harass those people as well.

I ate a <color removed> tablet while out in the middle of nowhere for some reason.  I was unable to do anything after that and was laying in the sun cooking for a good day or so before I died of thirst.

Oh, and with my first long lived warrior I remembered seeing some cool gloves in the 'rinth I wanted soooo badly.  So I rode down there and stopped in the middle of an alley so I could watch a few scenes from DragonBall Z.  After the show ended I realized that I had no weapon wielded and I had been attacked by about six npc's.  I went through the log and apparently I knocked out one of them before the others stabbed me to death.  Lamest.  Death.  Ever.  I lost the keys to my clan's compound with that character, too.  That sucked.

-My first character was a pickpocket and I had no idea about skills. I ended up finding my way into the Barrel and happening upon Sharlo Kadius, the first PC I met. We talked and I was reading over the Help files the whole time to try not to look like too much of a noob. I remember telling him I was a cook(not knowing all guilds start with cooking) and he let me into Kadius.
-I thought that jobs were rare and thought that now that I had a Kadius armband I could walk into the bars and bully around people.
-We eventually went on a trip to Tuluk. I spent all my money on spice after I read up on it, and pretended to be addicted.
-Eventually I RPed being sick and tired of Tuluk and homesick of Allanak. So I grabbed a barrel of water and ran off, on foot. One of the Senior Hunters followed me and took it back.
-My first ranger got lost in a sandstorm while out foraging salt and died of thirst
-My only bad note on my account notes is from when I was only playing for a few days and posted some IC information, which I quickly edited after people bitched about it.

Sharlo Kadius was my first PC boss, too.  I remember being in Kadius with Second Hunter Ojun and trying to "mount kank" while hunting in a large group.  Several people got extremely pissy with me for jumping onto their mounts before Ojun kindly ooc'd that just 'mount' would do.

Ojun also once offered me some money to duck into a certain well-known den outside Tuluk to flush out the creature inside.  I was certain he was trying to trap and kill me.

I remember trying to use tells/talks like in the MUSHes of my youth.

I remember sitting on tavern floors before I realized there were tables in the room.

I remember seeing my first pair of tribals roll up to the bar in Allanak, speaking in Bendune and then tribal accents, with their fancy gear.  I thought they were the sexiest things.

I think I lucked out for the most part, like those of us who were introduced to the game by a RL friend, having someone stand over my shoulder and say, 'Don't do that.  It makes you look like a noob.'
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

- Had never played a mud before.
- Got told I played my first character (who lived for over 20 days played time, and over about two or three months I believe) like I was a veteran.
- Unintentionally, used the same sdesc of the bartender in Red Storm for my first said character.
- Died in an exursion with some Templars and my Byn unit up into BFE northlands, by typing in bs half-giant (she was an assassin) and thinking she'd actually be able to take it out without having ever used backstab.
-Created my second character, Nora, a human warrior - who walked from 'Nak to Luir's, wanting nothing but to join Kurac.  Got told they were full, walked north to Tuluk and promptly became an assistant for a badass assassin, whom she later found out was a magicker, freaked out and then ran to Kurac, spilling information to then Advisor Danu in hopes to get into Kurac.  Plan worked.. and there she was for a long... long time. Only with this character.. her/my newbieness was more prominent due to the amount of absolute badasses I played around.

Prop and Kudo's to: Sergeant Aliera, Sergeant Graven, Sergeant Pendeh, Shatuka, Tixius and many many more that would take way too long to list. - Playing with and around you has helped me shape my emotes and understanding of the world that I didn't get to experience with my first character.
After knocking back a mouthful of the contents of a full shot-glass, toking away on a rolled joint directly afterwards you say in desert-accented sirihish:
"They call me Tuber, and my son is Tuber-tot."

When I was a newbie, I was constantly balls-deep in NPC animations and RPTs despite not really having any concept of what 'RPT's or 'NPC's were.

I went on an RPT in the Salt Flats and there were some amazing echoes when a mekillot ran up sorta-near our group.

I remember thinking, "Wow, they coded everything! The ground even shakes when these big ol' reptiles run up!  :o"

Later on, that same PC met another mekillot and I discovered there were no warning echoes, after all.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Oh, one of my early characters found a cool weapon in the Salarr store. He ran around with it for the rest of his life. Other people were horrified to see him with that weapon and only noob equipment and tried to talk him into not using it. Turns out that it was a Tuluki militia sword. He died fending off a halfling with that sword.

Later on, that warrior elf of mine disarmed a Tuluk soldier, got his sword, ran away with it and hid it. I let them arrest me, then after going out of jail, I tried to pawn that sword off. The lady yelled at me for trying to sell a militia weapon and I panicked and tried to hide the sword in the same place. Out of sheer stupidity, I tried to sell that sword again a second time to someone else in Tuluk. Character died shortly after.

...taught Allundean to a certain Kuraci agent for 25 'sid a lesson. I was so poor. :(
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

April 14, 2009, 05:22:02 AM #24 Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:57:11 AM by spicemustflow
Quote from: Attana on April 14, 2009, 03:25:25 AMNora

What? I'd never think Nora was someone's second character, she was very well played. At least from my newbish point of view. ICly, I hated the bitch, though :). Wonder how she met her end. Hope it was painful :).