When I Was a Newbie...

Started by Archbaron, April 13, 2009, 06:28:24 PM

...gith death squads still roamed the roads.
...there were no oxen.
...Tuluk was still occupied by Allanak (I think I started just after it became so)
...There was no attached description to the infamous keg of cleaning liquid, telling what it was.
...Blackmoon was still around.
...Seeing a gemmed was a significant event for me.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on April 16, 2009, 12:43:40 AM
...There was no attached description to the infamous keg of cleaning liquid, telling what it was.
*shudder*

Don't remind me.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

• House Kadius ruled the world (Ysania, Berlian, Eldor, Boad, Cringe, et al.)
  • Gemmers hung out in the Sanctuary
  • I grunted so much with one of my Bynners that Lord Templar Ihsahn Kasix of the Blue cut me down on the spot.
  • I used to cut and paste my combat exploits into IRC..."Duude, I just brutally slashed a duskhorn on the aaaaaaassss!"  :o
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

April 16, 2009, 03:13:22 AM #53 Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 03:15:54 AM by Pale Horse
Quote from: Synthesis on April 16, 2009, 01:39:20 AM

• House Kadius ruled the world (Ysania, Berlian, Eldor, Boad, Cringe, et al.)
  • Gemmers hung out in the Sanctuary
  • I grunted so much with one of my Bynners that Lord Templar Ihsahn Kasix of the Blue cut me down on the spot.
  • I used to cut and paste my combat exploits into IRC..."Duude, I just brutally slashed a duskhorn on the aaaaaaassss!"  :o

Wow...
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Synthesis on April 16, 2009, 01:39:20 AM

Take it to the bragging thread.
Free your hate.

Quote from: Pale Horse on April 16, 2009, 12:43:40 AM

And yes, it is the one, the unitary keg of cleaning fluid.  It takes physical form where it wills, but all odoriferous, blue-painted kegs are one and the same.

When the last aide has drunk the last drop, its reign of terror will be ended.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Ihsan...what memories.

When I was a newbie

• I wrote the mud an email after my very first character died, asking 'does this mean I'm dead, dead?' It was just two hours after starting, too.
  • I tried to sell a militia sword left lying on the ground. In most hack and slash games, those get you good coin. This one got me jailed, where I watched a templar kill an ungemmed 'gicker elf. That was on the second character.
  • I wound up a Borsail aide, and learned a great deal about the unfairness and harshness of the game by trying to please a certain Borsail lord.
  • I turned my back on some really good plots because I was so new I didn't know any better. Later characters were roped in, and I'm so thankful for that.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

... what do you people mean when you were newbies? :P
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

When I was a newbie my character was based loosely on Kelly, from Kelly's Heroes.
Crap. My current character is also based on someone from Kelly's Heroes.. I think most of mine have been, to one degree or another. So much for progression over the years!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on April 16, 2009, 11:33:00 AM
... what do you people mean when you were newbies? :P

When I was a newbie, Rah used to have this thread on the GBD, where'd he answer questions. Seems like so long ago, now..

:P

My 'rinth-rat PC:
- ...insulted Private Paryl's good buddy in the Bard's Barrel.
- ...sang adapted Gilbert & Sullivan tunes in the Bard's Barrel.
- ...was driven out of the Bard's Barrel on a permanent sort of basis.
- ...was, nominally, the eyes-and-ears for both a militia sergeant and a Guild operative.
- ...was given a lockpick and instructions on commissions.
- ...mugged someone in a manner that generated a GDB thread.  (It was probably both less horrible than the victim thought and more horrible than I thought at the time.) :(
- ...committed suicide-by-elf in the 'rinth. :(
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I'm still a newbie! But while we're at it...
My first character lasted well over 10 days played, until he FINALLY got confident in himself as a hunter. He died shortly thereafter.

My second character lasted a few moments before, of course, pissing off the wrong people.

._        _
/  \ ... /  \
'  ( i   i )\ `  
   [\,.,/]~\
minimantis iz afters ju

April 16, 2009, 05:08:15 PM #62 Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 05:42:15 PM by mansa
When I was a newbie, there was no stun levels, nor were there any subclass skills.

You could walk to Mal Krian but not purchase anything because you had to be a civilian of Mal Krian to purchase anything, except for mounts.
And they were the only ones that sold Ratlons.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

- When I was a newbie, you still had to enter the Sanctuary.
- The Salarri shop was one room, with two rooms behind that locked door dedicated to loot! :-X
- Mundanes ruled the world.
- I actually got decent scores.
- I actually played in Tuluk. ;D

...when I was a newbie, tdesc hadn't been implemented yet. Nor the dung code. *sagenod*
;D

Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

April 16, 2009, 08:56:23 PM #65 Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:58:19 PM by Jingo

• It was Kurac everyone griped about, not so much magickers. (This is something I still find somewhat profound)
  • I went through characters even more than I do now.
  • I made a crap tonne of 'sid, just by making a lumberjack.
  • I couldn't figure out how to survive on my own, but I refused to join a clan.
  • I asked Lady Templar Shome(sp?) if she was hitting on me.
  • Died to more poisonous snakes than I could remember.
  • Had way too much fun with elves before the wisdom and defence nerfs.

I miss the days when desert elves began with the abilities of a 10 day warrior. And when regular, long lived elves always would turn into badasses.

Looking my dead character list, I only remember maybe one out of every ten. I have almost a hundread now.

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

When I was a MEGA-newbie...I made my first character a city elf. And was approved with just a change to my background which said I was the bastard child of a NOBLE.

I walked around for a good hour in Tuluk...and just couldn't understand why I was being sneered at. Then I stopped playing, forgot about it for about 2 years...came back and my character was like 50.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead." - Albert Einstein

When I was a newbie Rah was still learning his ABC's.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: dustbunny on April 16, 2009, 09:23:45 PM
When I was a MEGA-newbie...I made my first character a city elf. And was approved with just a change to my background which said I was the bastard child of a NOBLE.
Haha, I'm a little surprised that got changed. I've had some rather incredulous backgrounds for my first characters that got through. And I've seen a few strange backgrounds from other new players XD
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

When I was a newbie, I posted my first GDB post in a "when I was a newbie" thread.

I believe my first character was a woodsman in Tuluk, and got asked to provide a bunch of logs to the Templarate by dragging them into the city and contacting some dude who worked for them. I was paid QUITE heavily (so I thought) and ended up with almost 2 small in my inventory. Rather than putting it in a belt or a pack, I kept it there. Satisfied that I was doing well, I went to the common sleeping area and actually SLEPT. I woke up with all my coins gone, and freaked out. I don't remember what I did after that.

I'm still a newbie.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

There were Blackmoon Raider NPCs along the North Road.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

1. I sat in Flint's with my halfling and had steel weapons as well.
2. I filled a fountain about 3 rooms away from the water seller shop at the time in Tuluk with water with my vivaduin repeatedly, figuring free water for folks seems like something a vivaduin would do.
3. Potions were buyable from npc merchants.
4. I died from poison and had no idea what a cure was, nor how to get one, or if they were even in game.
5. I abused haggle in my desire to save up for a wagon and was visited by Nessalin.

Despite being an experienced mudder and having done a bit of RP:

1. I could not tell PC's and NPC's apart in Arm
2. I was afraid to meet any PC's and actually RP because I was afraid of not measuring up to Arm's standard, so I spent my first week or so mainly skulking around in the 'rinth
3. I stole from shop keepers in the 'rinth repeatedly (or tried to) and one time the shopkeeper fled and never returned, thereby making it so no one could buy anything in that shop. I kept going back for RL days afterward but no shopkeeper and I was convinced I'd broken it. :(
4. I got busted southside and taken to jail three times and every time Lord Templar Masaki would turn up to question me. He gave me a healthy fear of templars and, in fact, was ultimately responsible for my PC's death when he took all her water and coins.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

1) I remember remember I was such a noob, one time that I saw a halfling PC and tried talking to him about stuff and couldn't grasp why I couldn't talk to him.
2) - Same thing with a mantis -
3) Pre Dwarf Mines incident, was in Nak, and if i remember correctly, watched some badassed templar get WTFpwnd by some guy with all metal swords and thought he wasn't so tough.
4) Asked a Defiler once why he hated the world (back when Sleep, nuke was prominent)
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"