When I Was a Newbie...

Started by Archbaron, April 13, 2009, 06:28:24 PM

• ... I thought Assassin was teh best gild evar
  • ... I thought everyone wearing signet rings was nobility (bowing to Merchant House family members ensued)
  • ... I got Kadius and Kurac mixed up a few times.
  • ... I was around to see the kanks slowly die.
  • ... my most favorite characters were defined by what I learned while playing them, sometimes more than the things they got involved in.
  • ... I was afraid of Tuluk and going there and disappearing.

Quote from: Fathi on April 14, 2009, 03:30:49 AM
When I was a newbie, I was constantly balls-deep in NPC animations and RPTs despite not really having any concept of what 'RPT's or 'NPC's were.

I went on an RPT in the Salt Flats and there were some amazing echoes when a mekillot ran up sorta-near our group.

I remember thinking, "Wow, they coded everything! The ground even shakes when these big ol' reptiles run up!  :o"

Later on, that same PC met another mekillot and I discovered there were no warning echoes, after all.

Change salt flats with grasslands and mekillot with bahamet and this is my newb story. lol.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Synthesis on April 14, 2009, 12:20:59 AM
Quote from: Durant on April 14, 2009, 12:01:41 AM
-He proceeded to join the Byn and was taught the ropes by the afformentioned Kroz, and a hunchback sergeant with a speach impediment.
-The Byn got me going in the right track and it's been somewhat smooth sailing ever since. 
Sergeant Saitoh, I believe, was the hunch-backed one...or was his player's handle Saitorr...or both? Damn, that was a long time ago, hehe.

That was either Sergeant Iltrin or Iltran I think.

I remember talking with the Plainsman, and being told to go gathering all these strange, seemingly pointless items.  Before I knew what component crafting was.
I remember being hired as a Kadian hunter by Darius Kadius? The chubby, bent legged man or somthing like that, and later on asking another Kadian hunter for a 'real weapons' sparring match, putting my loss of the sparring matches down to the training weapons.
Someone says: I imagine the festivities have worn you thin... Well good. I plan on leading patrols over the next month, that would turn even your shriveled manhoods into sturdy poles of destruction.

Quote from: spicemustflow on April 14, 2009, 05:22:02 AM
Quote from: Attana on April 14, 2009, 03:25:25 AMNora

What? I'd never think Nora was someone's second character, she was very well played. At least from my newbish point of view. ICly, I hated the bitch, though :). Wonder how she met her end. Hope it was painful :).

Yes, she was indeed my second character.  Thank you... and yes, I'm sure you're not the only person to think that. :P  - There's quite a lot of badassness that ensued with that character, that maybe I'll go post in the bragging thread, since it's old enough to do so.
After knocking back a mouthful of the contents of a full shot-glass, toking away on a rolled joint directly afterwards you say in desert-accented sirihish:
"They call me Tuber, and my son is Tuber-tot."

Quote from: Kronibas on April 14, 2009, 11:52:59 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on April 14, 2009, 12:20:59 AM
Quote from: Durant on April 14, 2009, 12:01:41 AM
-He proceeded to join the Byn and was taught the ropes by the afformentioned Kroz, and a hunchback sergeant with a speach impediment.
-The Byn got me going in the right track and it's been somewhat smooth sailing ever since. 
Sergeant Saitoh, I believe, was the hunch-backed one...or was his player's handle Saitorr...or both? Damn, that was a long time ago, hehe.

That was either Sergeant Iltrin or Iltran I think.

Something makes me want to say Milosh... who was that?

Maybe you're right though I do remember an "I" at the start of the name.
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

• I tried to ride to Cenyr, alone, with no provisions, having no idea of its location, under the impression that I would find PCs there to trade with. I almost got there, too.
  • I played a nomad who lived in an apartment with another 'nomad.'
  • I still had the magical, realistic feeling that a trip from Tuluk to Luirs was a big deal.
  • I referred to the Sun King as a sorcerer.
  • I received more Kudos in my first week of play than I have in the 11 months since.
  • I emailed the staff about making my own coded clan within a week of making my first character, and was politely rejected by staff, but told that 'anything was possible,' with enough work. I didn't realize what a big deal making a clan was, heh.
  • I posted a string of idiotic questions on the GDB.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: Ourla on April 14, 2009, 02:56:56 AM
Sharlo Kadius was my first PC boss, too.
Interesting, mine too.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Archbaron on April 14, 2009, 05:56:19 PM
Interesting, mine too.

Although I wasn't directly hired by him, I believe he was the boss-man at the time, so myself too.
Someone says: I imagine the festivities have worn you thin... Well good. I plan on leading patrols over the next month, that would turn even your shriveled manhoods into sturdy poles of destruction.

Quote from: mangler on April 14, 2009, 06:59:01 PM
Interesting, mine too.

Although I wasn't directly hired by him, I believe he was the boss-man at the time, so myself too.

You guys couldn't have had a more awesome first boss  :D

Heh... I have a soft spot for noobs.

QuoteSomething makes me want to say Milosh... who was that?

It's entirely possible that there has been more than one Milosh, but one of them was my PC Cidsarl Kadius' employee way back in 2002 or so.  You may be thinking of Milan if it's been in the past couple of years.

Quote from: SMuz on April 13, 2009, 10:15:27 PM
Quote from: Taven on April 13, 2009, 09:45:00 PM

• I had never played a MUD before.
I respect you greatly for that. Hell, coming from years of playing other MUDs, Arm was difficult for me to pick up.

Thanks! I have a soft spot in my heart for newies because of that, although I usually don't do much more then point out how helpfiles work and prod them towards the Byn. Despite Arm ICly being very harsh, I think it has a great tolerance and willingness to help newbies. With my first "Successful" PC, #4, I started in Allanak and was non-newbish enough to join up with the AoD... Where they beat the other newbness out of me! ;) I'm only half-kidding. It's amazing when you get that first group of people to really introduce you into the game, and show you how awesome it is. PC #4 is still my longest lived, at around 45 Days of playtime.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

• Made my first character as a rinthi elven bastard noble assassin. With clothes in the main desc. Got accepted with only the clothes editted. Died to a rinthi, respawned and walked around naked eating cactus rings a soldier got me, cause i was supposed to be his spy. then got thrown in a hole by a giant
  • people were much more brutal and death came quicker
  • the world seemed much bigger, mysterious and immersive than it does now
  • made a tenneshi guard who killed npc's with another PC outside the compound and decided to be undertuluki criminals (back in the OLD undertuluk)
  • thought two borsail Wyverns were actual wyverns in human form. Like dragons. also thought the 'something something imp' was an actual imp sitting at the Barrel
  • had a character survive the rinth explosion HRPT with a bag that had 'many' piles of coins at like 5435 each, a mace worth 4600 sid, elite equipment, and other stuff. As a 2 IRL day warrior. Was a member of the Guild, but attacked a rinth npc that chased me there in the bar and got pwnt by my own clan npcs
  • played only in white text on black background
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Milosh sounds like the name of the elven sergeant several years back. The first I had saw, and a very long lived one. But it could've been another M-sounding, or dual-syllabic name.

Quote from: Bogre on April 14, 2009, 09:43:03 PM

What do you use now?

Quote from: Ramblingman on April 14, 2009, 09:44:24 PM
Quote from: Bogre on April 14, 2009, 09:43:03 PM

What do you use now?

zmud green on black
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

My biggest newbie mistake was this... playing a human nothing commoner in Allanak, I found spice ditched somewhere.  Being the conscientious, law-abiding citizen my character was, picked it up and went looking for a Templar... walked past the gates.  This was before 'nosave arrest' came into existence.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

*Was recruited by a sandas, as a burglar. Not knowing shit, twinked my way into a building in the 'rinth and stole everything (wasn't quite grasping the concept of the game yet). Thought I was a badass , went and found my recruiter, holding a huge bag. He was complaining about someone robbing their hideout...and well...right about that same time I was telling him about how I'd just pulled a HUGE job. I'll let you figure out how that ended.

Went through a string of short lived chars, then had a decently long lived ATV named temper, and been gravy since.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

Quote from: Kronibas on April 14, 2009, 07:25:29 PM
Quote from: mangler on April 14, 2009, 06:59:01 PM
Interesting, mine too.

You guys couldn't have had a more awesome first boss  :D

Heh... I have a soft spot for noobs.

That reminds me of another thing, I remember falling off a cliff during an argosy visit to Cenyr, and Sharlo waiting for me to make my climb check before moving onto Allanak :)

Quote from: BuNutzCola on April 14, 2009, 09:52:31 PM
*Was recruited by a sandas, as a burglar. Not knowing shit, twinked my way into a building in the 'rinth and stole everything (wasn't quite grasping the concept of the game yet). Thought I was a badass , went and found my recruiter, holding a huge bag. He was complaining about someone robbing their hideout...and well...right about that same time I was telling him about how I'd just pulled a HUGE job. I'll let you figure out how that ended.

Went through a string of short lived chars, then had a decently long lived ATV named temper, and been gravy since.

HAHAHA! Epic fail.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Yeah, but the badass recruiter was Roach, and awesome mentor for getting into the game.. That guy man, he knows how to run a PC.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

- My first character was a Bynner that had a crush on a gemmer. It wasn't long before she was brutally assassinated in front of him, though.
- My first character became a Byn Sarge while I was still a super-noob. I proved that by not being able to figure out the water seller in the temple of the dragon, while leading my war party to the gates for a trip.  :-[
- Kanks were still around.  :-\
- I was balls-deep in myriad plots without realizing/capitalizing on it. I mean, I -really- sucked at playing this game.
- Actually, I'm still a noob.  ::)
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

• I didn't fall for the number one cause of death in the 'Rinth
  • I -did- get ganked by walking into the side opposite of my races' faction.
  • I pissed off several people. At once. Probably OOCly as well.
  • I invited a friend to play X guild just so I could ask what skills they start out with
  • "Secrecy? Who needs to be secret? It's not like anyone's in the Sanctuary right now, anyways."
  • My time was allotted as such: 25% playing the game, 25% reading the documentation, 40% configuring Zmud, 10% recording information on other players.
  • I tried talking to the friendly neighborhood Roving Gith Death Squad(tm)

*shrug*
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

April 15, 2009, 01:18:55 PM #47 Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:28:17 PM by FantasyWriter
I had never played any kind of online multi player game, especially not a mud.
Met this crazy fecker in a professional writing class that I ended up rooming with the next semester,and he talked me into trying Arm.
<3 Kronibas

Was hired by the blonde, purple-eyed man (or something like that in Nak) with my first three or four PCs.
Sorn Tallid, maybe? Anyway that crew was awesome.

Got robbed and decided to suicide of the shield wall... lived through the fall, found a gith... killed him, finally fell in a hole with a dujat worm.

I stayed indie for all my PCs after Sorn died.  My next boss (and my first time in a coded clan) was also Sharlo. :D

Also, I agree with Ourla.. havin' someone to look over your shoulder when you get started is an awesome aid.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

- My first character was a blue eyed half elf.
- My first MUD too, so I could'nt work out how to move across the room.  Eventually found my way down.  Strangely, I still had that problem with my second.  I could'nt work how how to move from my table to the Templar's, when "asked".  So my PC stood up and sat down at the Faithful's table.
- After an hour of playing, my PC curled up in a corner of the food shop and I disconnected.  OOC feeling totally exhilarated and exhausted.
- She found a good hangout in a hut, which she preferred to the public dorms.  So she used to go to sleep there and I disconnected.  I logged in one day and found my 1st PC was Dead.

April 15, 2009, 08:12:39 PM #49 Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:14:27 PM by Salt Merchant
...I met Suk-Krath incarnate in the Red Sun Commons of Tuluk with my sun cleric.

He was pissed.
Lunch makes me happy.