Conditionally populated rooms - Discussion

Started by Morgenes, November 04, 2008, 02:45:26 PM

1. I am looking forward to an actual risk of getting robbed. Up until this point, I have never actually -felt- any such risk.

2. I hope I don't end up being the victim, when I do feel the risk!

3. I am looking forward to being the first person to come across a corpse that still has something on him worth looting, after the killer has grabbed the dead guy's coins and pack and run away.

4. I am hoping that would-be killers will consider that loitering near a corpse to methodically pick the guy completely naked, -should- icly give the virtual, NPC, and PC population a reason to wonder about the looter's innocence in the scene. Just remember - if people see you grabbing a dead guy's coins, people are gonna assume you're probably the guy who killed him.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I hope this gives everyone a proper, healthy fear of the dark.

Woe to the spamming quickwalk macro havin' night ignorers.

Now half of you must go forward and join/create gangs to work the late hours!
Tryin' to make friends but people are jerks,
So I'm gonna put some fleas on you.
And the fleas'll have the plague,
And they'll make you cough a lot,
Then you'll be too sick to hurt my feelings anymore.

What I also like about this is the fact that it gives us the option to fight back against muggers without getting wanted ourselves. (assuming the conditions for avoiding the crim flagging are met).

Quote from: Morgenes on November 04, 2008, 03:34:15 PM
Quote from: nyrk on November 04, 2008, 03:29:56 PM
So if you light a torch, does the vis of the room goes to good, and you can be crim-flagged?

Sorry, I realize that the post isn't really clear.  The two points are in an 'or' relationship.  If the visibility is bad OR it's late at night OR it's before dawn.

To specifically answer your question, if you have a torch out and it's late at night or before dawn, the 'populated' room flag won't incriminate you.

If for whatever reason the visibility is poor and you somehow correct it, and it's NOT night time, you will be incriminated.
I am happy about the concept behind this. I'd love to see some degrees go in over time, but this is real good, and I am pleased, Morg.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Lizzie on November 04, 2008, 04:25:34 PM
1. I am looking forward to an actual risk of getting robbed. Up until this point, I have never actually -felt- any such risk.

A thousand times ditto.  (I was, early on, Afraid of the Alleys, but stopped being when nothing ever happened.)

Quote from: Lizzie on November 04, 2008, 04:25:34 PM
4. I am hoping that would-be killers will consider that loitering near a corpse to methodically pick the guy completely naked, -should- icly give the virtual, NPC, and PC population a reason to wonder about the looter's innocence in the scene.

Some ideas along these lines (sorry, Allanak-centric):
- Make taking items from a corpse a crimflaggable offense.
- Create a few NPC crews that comb the city and haul corpses to Meleth's Circle.
- Add creepy environmental echoes to describe the 'rinth-rats creeping about Meleth's Circle by night.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on November 04, 2008, 04:59:10 PM
Hell no.
- Create a few NPC crews that comb the city and haul corpses to Meleth's Circle.
- Add creepy environmental echoes to describe the 'rinth-rats creeping about Meleth's Circle by night.
Yes to everything else.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Can there be a command that would allow you to make a judgement call on whether or not the place is populated or not ?

assess here.
The place seems empty and dark. Odds are, nobody will see you do anything.
There are numerous people in this room, any misdeed will surely be reported.
There are lawmen right infront of you. Anything illegal will be reacted to right away.

Or therebouts.

I would rather not see an "Assess" feature for everything in game.

That would kind of take the fun out of it in some ways.

"Ok, now codedly can I get away with this? Let me just assess."

"Oh good, here I go."

I much prefer...

"The situtation feels right, if it goes sour I got my escape plan, lets pull this job."
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 04, 2008, 05:05:01 PM
Hell no.

I think I have to agree, though I hate seeing corpses treated so cavalierly.

The consequences of being crimflagged are too dire.  We lose enough people to kick-while-brawling.

This is exactly what I had in mind. Props 2 Morgenes!
"The perfect police state has no police." - William S. Burroughs

Quote from: Desertman on November 04, 2008, 05:44:41 PM
I would rather not see an "Assess" feature for everything in game.

That would kind of take the fun out of it in some ways.

"Ok, now codedly can I get away with this? Let me just assess."

"Oh good, here I go."

I much prefer...

"The situtation feels right, if it goes sour I got my escape plan, lets pull this job."
I disagree.  If there is something that should be patently obvious to the player's character, that information should be available through coded methods.

assess room should give info about the room.  If it is populated with vNPC's it should give you an idea of how many, but just that,  I don't think it should give you an assessment on how successful your potentially criminal activities would be however.
Only through hard work and perseverance can one truly suffer

Someone write up an Allanakki Slasher already!

:)

This is beautiful. It makes night-time so much more cut-throat. Imagine, the muggers come out and case someone walking past their check-point...just to find out that that someone is a gemmer. Who won't get crimflagged at night for casting.

(Though, there are magickal effects I think should get you crimmed inside a city anyway, because they're perceptible even with bad vision or no light.)
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Are these changes currently in effect, or are we waiting for the next reboot?

Quote from: Qzzrbl on November 04, 2008, 08:28:26 PM

Next reboot.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on November 04, 2008, 09:26:42 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on November 04, 2008, 08:28:26 PM

Next reboot.

Good to know. I'll lay off on my citywide crime spree until then.

Quote from: Tisiphone on November 04, 2008, 07:16:46 PM
This is beautiful. It makes night-time so much more cut-throat. Imagine, the muggers come out and case someone walking past their check-point...just to find out that that someone is a gemmer. Who won't get crimflagged at night for casting.

(Though, there are magickal effects I think should get you crimmed inside a city anyway, because they're perceptible even with bad vision or no light.)

Morg, any thoughts on this?

I agree that a full on fireball would attract attention from soldiers blocks down, especially in Allanak where magick outside of Temples is not permitted.

That goes double for Tuluk, where Magick would make people shit their pants for miles around.

I think magick should be excepted, or have a very high chance of still getting crimflagged.

I can't wait for this to go in.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Rockin' my socks.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

The sandcloth cloaked peasant walks in from the west drawing a small flat cart.

The sandcloth cloaked peasant shouts in southern-accented Sirihish,
    "Bring out ya dead!  Bring out ya dead!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on November 04, 2008, 11:25:29 PM

The sandcloth cloaked peasant walks in from the west drawing a small flat cart.

The sandcloth cloaked peasant shouts in southern-accented Sirihish,
    "Bring out ya dead!  Bring out ya dead!

Please no! Finding an non-stripped corpse is like winning the Zalanthian lottery.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: Tisiphone on November 04, 2008, 07:16:46 PM
Who won't get crimflagged at night for casting.

OH NOES

Damnit, now I -really- want to play that Burglar I've always wanted to play.

Am I doomed to playing characters barely living past the "horribly-animated NPC" style of play because I always die off easily? =\
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Every time I finally think okay that's the last time I play <guild> something comes along and pulls me right back in.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Playing a criminal -and- a militia member just got a lot more exciting.  Awesome.