Strike

Started by Jakahri, December 29, 2005, 01:40:04 AM

I think that warriors truly have the ability to use nearly every part of their body as a potential weapon. (Insert your witty banter and derailments here)

Perhaps this could be reflected better by the code if we were to have one of their current skills changed, to some degree.

Instead of having the skill 'kick', what if it were changed to a general 'strike' that can then be roleplayed as either a knee-kick, elbow, or any other number of dirty blows and special manuevers that warriors would likely have knowledge of.

Some ideas as to what this would look like in terms of code?

>strike man
You lash out and strike the man with your body, causing him to double over in pain!
:spins aside ~man into a shallow crouch, driving his elbow deep into ^man ribs!

I think this could make things more open ended, allow more avenues of roleplay to be opened up, and give combat more "fluidity" by breaking away from the monotonous 'kick'.

What say you?
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

I've wanted something like this for a long time. I always hate it when I emote bashing some one with my shield, type in 'kick', and then the dingus emotes something like "emote is kicked by your totally kickin' kick that kicked him in the face, as kicks are wont to do". This usually makes me want to just kick 'em again.
Thumbs up from me.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

This would be good.  Make it so you can tag an emote onto it as well maybe.

strike dude (launching an elbow)

Launching an elbow, you attempt to strike the dude but he sidesteps it.

Maybe something like that.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

jhunter's idea:

I like that even more. Very cool.

No doubt. *flex*

dude, isn't there already 'bash'? that's a strike from the meat of your shoulder right?

and 'kick' is a strike from your shin and feet.

so...'strike' would basically combine 'bash' and 'kick'?

I'm not mistaken?
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Bash is not necessarily from the 'meat' of your shoulder. You can push them down with your hands, a shield, your shoulder, your chest, your forearm, etc.

Kick is an attack that takes off extra damage to your opponent.

Strike would be the same skill, yet more open-ended to leave it to the player as to what part of their body they used to hit their opponent.

Instead of using just one's legs, you could now emote using your feet, hands, fingers, forearms, anything that is feasible.

Make more sense?

No doubt. *flex*

Quote from: "Jakahri"Bash is not necessarily from the 'meat' of your shoulder. You can push them down with your hands, a shield, your shoulder, your chest, your forearm, etc.

Kick is an attack that takes off extra damage to your opponent.

Strike would be the same skill, yet more open-ended to leave it to the player as to what part of their body they used to hit their opponent.

Instead of using just one's legs, you could now emote using your feet, hands, fingers, forearms, anything that is feasible.

Make more sense?

Yes, thank you. Now that you've explained it, I'll hop on the bandwagon and support this suggestion.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Quote from: "Help kick"
Skill Kick                                                         (Combat)

This skill will cause you to attempt to kick the named person, or the
person you are currently fighting if no argument is given.  Damage done by
a successful kick is dependent upon your strength.

Syntax:
  kick (target)

Example:
  > kick gith

Delay:
  after

Kick is a kick. Don't use kick and emote something totally different than a kick. While I think a strike with an appended emote would be a great addition, or replacement for kick, I don't think kick should be used with emotes about throwing punches etc.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

QuoteDon't use kick and emote something totally different than a kick.

It surprises me to hear this. I always thought of the code and messages attached to commands to be a framework for the players to fill in. Should we not emote subdue as a way to carry wounded? Or tracking as finding a path of broken twigs on trees, since it says you kneel down and look for tracks in the dirt?

I have avidly emoted kicks as a variety of attacks since I started, and have seen many others do the same. These emotes usually represented a character's fighting style, personality, etc. much better than a canned kick. I have emoted bash as a leg sweep. So the code said I rushed him and he sidestepped? That never happened to me. Instead, my sparring partner emoted stepping over the sweep and kicking me over.  That was an incredible moment, because not only was he watching and visualizing what I was doing, he was, in turn, interlacing his own movements and emotes through it. It was a 'whole' scene. One that made me sad that I barely got a chance to play with a player like that.  I would much rather see things like this than people trying to find ways to work another kick into their emotes.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

kicks are stupid. some armored warrior doing a fucking round house like he's jet li in a goddamn martial arts film.

The code for kick is great. So is the code for bash. So please change the echoes to something less explicit. Thanks! (and if you want to rename kick to "strike" in the process, that would be just fine and dandy.

Let's just add a new command.

Strike sounds like you are using a weapon, so let's just change it to hit?

If you want to hit them, use hit.
Kick them, use kick.
Bash them, bash them.

We can always use more commands.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Agent_137"kicks are stupid. some armored warrior doing a fucking round house like he's jet li in a goddamn martial arts film.

Thanks, Agent. I thought I was the only one who had the same idea on kick.

I could understand an assassin kicking.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Olgaris"
Quote from: "Help kick"
Skill Kick                                                         (Combat)

This skill will cause you to attempt to kick the named person, or the
person you are currently fighting if no argument is given.  Damage done by
a successful kick is dependent upon your strength.

Syntax:
  kick (target)

Example:
  > kick gith

Delay:
  after

Kick is a kick. Don't use kick and emote something totally different than a kick. While I think a strike with an appended emote would be a great addition, or replacement for kick, I don't think kick should be used with emotes about throwing punches etc.

Is this staff policy or your opinion?

I believe that you should post whether it is staff policy or your opinion when you make a statement like this.

I'm inclined to believe that it is your opinion since this has been mentioned many times over the years and it has never been said by anyone on staff before that you cannot do this.

I don't know about anyone else, but it would really piss me off to use kick to represent another strike in the current system. (Which affects NOTHING except painting a slightly more colorful picture.) And have a staffer complain about it or put negative notes on my account because they personally don't agree with it. (Even though it isn't staff policy on the subject.)

A kick is a kick, right, but sometimes it doesn't make sense to kick someone.  If your style is in-tight fighting, you don't want to back off to kick, you'll want to knee them or elbow them or punch them.  I tend to customize my kick messages when I remember to kick.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

QuoteI don't know about anyone else, but it would really piss me off to use kick to represent another strike in the current system. (Which affects NOTHING except painting a different picture.) And have a staffer bitch about it.

J, it's probably not a good idea to lay into an imm, new or old.  I realize
you're trying to get clarification and there is the possibility that Olg is
mistaken, but putting him (and possibly other imms) on the defensive is
not going to get you clarification any faster--it only creates a potential
feeling of resentment from your target.

For that matter, it's not a good idea to lay into anyone on this forum.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "bloodfromstone"I have avidly emoted kicks as a variety of attacks since I started, and have seen many others do the same. These emotes usually represented a character's fighting style, personality, etc. much better than a canned kick.

A kick bascially implies that you are using your feet in an attack. That may be a drop kick to the face, a swift kick in the gut, a kick to the back of a guys leg to send him down, even a super cool Street Fighter, Ryu Hurricane Kick...

If you use the kick command, do not emote a headbutt instead. You kicked. You should also not use kick and emote tossing an elbow instead either. It's a kick, you used your feet.

It is similar to someone casting flamestrike and emoting a waterfall pouring out their hands. Put simply, it's not what the code said you just did. Yes you just used the liberal term "magick", but you used fire magick, not water magick.

That's no to say that you shouldn't use those kinds of emotes at all. Use them with bash.. that's what bash is for. You are basically tossing your body in some way at the other person.

Personally I have never had too much trouble RP'ing out fights along with the commands that are given. However I do like the idea of being able to toss in an emote with a "strike" command, it gives a good deal more RP opportunites then kick or bash.
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

QuoteIf you use the kick command, do not emote a headbutt instead. You kicked. You should also not use kick and emote tossing an elbow instead either. It's a kick, you used your feet.

I refuse.

I use my headbutts.  I use my elbows and knees.  I'll use the pommel of my weapon in a backhand, or the butt of my axe to the gut.  They'll do coded damage too, whether or not the text says 'my foot did it' or not.  My emote says what I do.  Kick is the command to put it into use.

Keeping it that way until there's an alternative.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Intrepid"
QuoteI don't know about anyone else, but it would really piss me off to use kick to represent another strike in the current system. (Which affects NOTHING except painting a different picture.) And have a staffer bitch about it.

J, it's probably not a good idea to lay into an imm, new or old.  I realize
you're trying to get clarification and there is the possibility that Olg is
mistaken, but putting him (and possibly other imms) on the defensive is
not going to get you clarification any faster--it only creates a potential
feeling of resentment from your target.

For that matter, it's not a good idea to lay into anyone on this forum.

I'm entitled to my opinion and can post it if I so choose. I mellowed it out a little to sugarcoat it for those of you who complained about it.

Quote from: "Armaddict"
QuoteIf you use the kick command, do not emote a headbutt instead. You kicked. You should also not use kick and emote tossing an elbow instead either. It's a kick, you used your feet.

I refuse.

I use my headbutts.  I use my elbows and knees.  I'll use the pommel of my weapon in a backhand, or the butt of my axe to the gut.  They'll do coded damage too, whether or not the text says 'my foot did it' or not.  My emote says what I do.  Kick is the command to put it into use.

What he said.

Quote from: "Qetesh"That's no to say that you shouldn't use those kinds of emotes at all. Use them with bash.. that's what bash is for. You are basically tossing your body in some way at the other person.

You are totally contradicting yourself. It's okay with bash but not kick? That's doing the same damned thing.  :roll:

Quote from: "Qetesh"
A kick bascially implies that you are using your feet in an attack. That may be a drop kick to the face, a swift kick in the gut, a kick to the back of a guys leg to send him down, even a super cool Street Fighter, Ryu Hurricane Kick...
So the next time my dwarf kicks a half-giant in the head, I should emote leaping up and shouting something completely unintelligible while spinning five times in the air?
What next, emote dodging hits as ninja-teleporting away?

An arrow flies in from the north and lands on the ground.
> emote takes the arrow to the chest, falling back in slow motion, a stunned look on his pale face.
> pemote With a puff of smoke, @ body disappears, replaced by a piece of cactus with an arrow stuck in its middle.

No thank you.

It is similar to someone casting flamestrike and emoting a waterfall pouring out their hands. Put simply, it's not what the code said you just did.
I think it's more similar to casting Flamestrike and emoting that the flames are all greenish, or that they leap up from the ground instead of fall from the sky.
I think a lot of magickers do things like this when they emote about their spells.  There must have been dozens of different ways the Lightning Bolt spell has been emoted.

If you use the kick command, do not emote a headbutt instead. You kicked. You should also not use kick and emote tossing an elbow instead either. It's a kick, you used your feet.
I'm going to join the crowd of those that refuse to not emote in a realistic free-form when it comes to their spells and skills, unless this is stated as official staff policy.

If this is stated as such, I will cry.

EDITED:
Qetesh did not contradict herself, jhunter.  She said: feel free to emote the manner of throwing your body at your opponent when you bash (the concept of what the Bash skill is).  This is the same as being allowed to emote how you kick (not elbow, but kick with your foot) when using the Kick skill.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

QuoteI'm entitled to my opinion and can post it if I so choose. I mellowed it out a little to sugarcoat it for those of you who complained about it.

I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion--far from it, in fact--and
we're all here to post those opinions.  Your fervor for the game isn't
unappreciated either.  All I did was place a suggestion to you as to the
method of expressing your opinion.  As it appears you may have agreed
with my suggestion, I consider the matter settled; not really a big deal.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "jhunter"
Quote from: "Armaddict"

I refuse.

What he said.

I agree with these guys.

Kick is my 'strike'. A punch, headbutt, karate-chop, hilt-strike, blade-whack, spear-butt strike, or, yes, a flying roundhouse screeching, wild-and-crazy Kung-Fu dragon-kick.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: "Armaddict"I use my headbutts.  I use my elbows and knees.  I'll use the pommel of my weapon in a backhand, or the butt of my axe to the gut.  They'll do coded damage too, whether or not the text says 'my foot did it' or not.  My emote says what I do.  Kick is the command to put it into use.

Yes, they do do damage. And there are skills for that. Like bash, or your regular fighting skills.  But you should not be tossing a kick out and using an alternate emote to make up for a skill you don't have.  Kicks use your  legs. It's that simple. If you want to emote that you used your knee instead and then tossed an elbow, I'm sure that works. But to completely replace the fact that you just kicked someone by doing something unrelated in my mind, is an abuse of the code with your emote.

Though the damage somewhat similar, you are essentially compensating for a skill you don't have and that is very much like casting a spell you do have then emoting an effect it doesn't have.

To further the point of that.. there are items in the game that can enhance this skill. So did your ability to beat someone over the head with a sword just get better because you have spike tipped boots?

I personally wouldn't do it, and think it's bad RP. I do think a strike command is nice, but that is also my opinion, I'd be interested to see what the rest of the staff thinks.

We have the bash command. So if your guild doesn't have that command I don't think you should be compensating for it with kick and alternate emotes..  Just learn a few cool ways to use kick.
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

QuoteKicks use your legs. It's that simple. If you want to emote that you used your knee instead and then tossed an elbow, I'm sure that works. But to completely replace the fact that you just kicked someone by doing something unrelated in my mind, is an abuse of the code with your emote.

That's a very narrowminded view of things IMO.

So, according to what you are saying, we can't emote tossing something to someone if we use the coded command "give" to give it to them. Because it doesn't say that we tossed it to them?

We couldn't emote say....walking on our hands, (acrobat or whatever) because the code shows us as walking (generally considered on your feet) when we move into another room?

You can't emote, tying a rope to something before cllimbing down it...because the code says he are just holding in our hands?