Strike

Started by Jakahri, December 29, 2005, 01:40:04 AM

I think that warriors truly have the ability to use nearly every part of their body as a potential weapon. (Insert your witty banter and derailments here)

Perhaps this could be reflected better by the code if we were to have one of their current skills changed, to some degree.

Instead of having the skill 'kick', what if it were changed to a general 'strike' that can then be roleplayed as either a knee-kick, elbow, or any other number of dirty blows and special manuevers that warriors would likely have knowledge of.

Some ideas as to what this would look like in terms of code?

>strike man
You lash out and strike the man with your body, causing him to double over in pain!
:spins aside ~man into a shallow crouch, driving his elbow deep into ^man ribs!

I think this could make things more open ended, allow more avenues of roleplay to be opened up, and give combat more "fluidity" by breaking away from the monotonous 'kick'.

What say you?
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

I've wanted something like this for a long time. I always hate it when I emote bashing some one with my shield, type in 'kick', and then the dingus emotes something like "emote is kicked by your totally kickin' kick that kicked him in the face, as kicks are wont to do". This usually makes me want to just kick 'em again.
Thumbs up from me.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

This would be good.  Make it so you can tag an emote onto it as well maybe.

strike dude (launching an elbow)

Launching an elbow, you attempt to strike the dude but he sidesteps it.

Maybe something like that.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

jhunter's idea:

I like that even more. Very cool.

No doubt. *flex*

dude, isn't there already 'bash'? that's a strike from the meat of your shoulder right?

and 'kick' is a strike from your shin and feet.

so...'strike' would basically combine 'bash' and 'kick'?

I'm not mistaken?
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Bash is not necessarily from the 'meat' of your shoulder. You can push them down with your hands, a shield, your shoulder, your chest, your forearm, etc.

Kick is an attack that takes off extra damage to your opponent.

Strike would be the same skill, yet more open-ended to leave it to the player as to what part of their body they used to hit their opponent.

Instead of using just one's legs, you could now emote using your feet, hands, fingers, forearms, anything that is feasible.

Make more sense?

No doubt. *flex*

Quote from: "Jakahri"Bash is not necessarily from the 'meat' of your shoulder. You can push them down with your hands, a shield, your shoulder, your chest, your forearm, etc.

Kick is an attack that takes off extra damage to your opponent.

Strike would be the same skill, yet more open-ended to leave it to the player as to what part of their body they used to hit their opponent.

Instead of using just one's legs, you could now emote using your feet, hands, fingers, forearms, anything that is feasible.

Make more sense?

Yes, thank you. Now that you've explained it, I'll hop on the bandwagon and support this suggestion.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Quote from: "Help kick"
Skill Kick                                                         (Combat)

This skill will cause you to attempt to kick the named person, or the
person you are currently fighting if no argument is given.  Damage done by
a successful kick is dependent upon your strength.

Syntax:
  kick (target)

Example:
  > kick gith

Delay:
  after

Kick is a kick. Don't use kick and emote something totally different than a kick. While I think a strike with an appended emote would be a great addition, or replacement for kick, I don't think kick should be used with emotes about throwing punches etc.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

QuoteDon't use kick and emote something totally different than a kick.

It surprises me to hear this. I always thought of the code and messages attached to commands to be a framework for the players to fill in. Should we not emote subdue as a way to carry wounded? Or tracking as finding a path of broken twigs on trees, since it says you kneel down and look for tracks in the dirt?

I have avidly emoted kicks as a variety of attacks since I started, and have seen many others do the same. These emotes usually represented a character's fighting style, personality, etc. much better than a canned kick. I have emoted bash as a leg sweep. So the code said I rushed him and he sidestepped? That never happened to me. Instead, my sparring partner emoted stepping over the sweep and kicking me over.  That was an incredible moment, because not only was he watching and visualizing what I was doing, he was, in turn, interlacing his own movements and emotes through it. It was a 'whole' scene. One that made me sad that I barely got a chance to play with a player like that.  I would much rather see things like this than people trying to find ways to work another kick into their emotes.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

kicks are stupid. some armored warrior doing a fucking round house like he's jet li in a goddamn martial arts film.

The code for kick is great. So is the code for bash. So please change the echoes to something less explicit. Thanks! (and if you want to rename kick to "strike" in the process, that would be just fine and dandy.

Let's just add a new command.

Strike sounds like you are using a weapon, so let's just change it to hit?

If you want to hit them, use hit.
Kick them, use kick.
Bash them, bash them.

We can always use more commands.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Agent_137"kicks are stupid. some armored warrior doing a fucking round house like he's jet li in a goddamn martial arts film.

Thanks, Agent. I thought I was the only one who had the same idea on kick.

I could understand an assassin kicking.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Olgaris"
Quote from: "Help kick"
Skill Kick                                                         (Combat)

This skill will cause you to attempt to kick the named person, or the
person you are currently fighting if no argument is given.  Damage done by
a successful kick is dependent upon your strength.

Syntax:
  kick (target)

Example:
  > kick gith

Delay:
  after

Kick is a kick. Don't use kick and emote something totally different than a kick. While I think a strike with an appended emote would be a great addition, or replacement for kick, I don't think kick should be used with emotes about throwing punches etc.

Is this staff policy or your opinion?

I believe that you should post whether it is staff policy or your opinion when you make a statement like this.

I'm inclined to believe that it is your opinion since this has been mentioned many times over the years and it has never been said by anyone on staff before that you cannot do this.

I don't know about anyone else, but it would really piss me off to use kick to represent another strike in the current system. (Which affects NOTHING except painting a slightly more colorful picture.) And have a staffer complain about it or put negative notes on my account because they personally don't agree with it. (Even though it isn't staff policy on the subject.)

A kick is a kick, right, but sometimes it doesn't make sense to kick someone.  If your style is in-tight fighting, you don't want to back off to kick, you'll want to knee them or elbow them or punch them.  I tend to customize my kick messages when I remember to kick.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

QuoteI don't know about anyone else, but it would really piss me off to use kick to represent another strike in the current system. (Which affects NOTHING except painting a different picture.) And have a staffer bitch about it.

J, it's probably not a good idea to lay into an imm, new or old.  I realize
you're trying to get clarification and there is the possibility that Olg is
mistaken, but putting him (and possibly other imms) on the defensive is
not going to get you clarification any faster--it only creates a potential
feeling of resentment from your target.

For that matter, it's not a good idea to lay into anyone on this forum.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "bloodfromstone"I have avidly emoted kicks as a variety of attacks since I started, and have seen many others do the same. These emotes usually represented a character's fighting style, personality, etc. much better than a canned kick.

A kick bascially implies that you are using your feet in an attack. That may be a drop kick to the face, a swift kick in the gut, a kick to the back of a guys leg to send him down, even a super cool Street Fighter, Ryu Hurricane Kick...

If you use the kick command, do not emote a headbutt instead. You kicked. You should also not use kick and emote tossing an elbow instead either. It's a kick, you used your feet.

It is similar to someone casting flamestrike and emoting a waterfall pouring out their hands. Put simply, it's not what the code said you just did. Yes you just used the liberal term "magick", but you used fire magick, not water magick.

That's no to say that you shouldn't use those kinds of emotes at all. Use them with bash.. that's what bash is for. You are basically tossing your body in some way at the other person.

Personally I have never had too much trouble RP'ing out fights along with the commands that are given. However I do like the idea of being able to toss in an emote with a "strike" command, it gives a good deal more RP opportunites then kick or bash.
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

QuoteIf you use the kick command, do not emote a headbutt instead. You kicked. You should also not use kick and emote tossing an elbow instead either. It's a kick, you used your feet.

I refuse.

I use my headbutts.  I use my elbows and knees.  I'll use the pommel of my weapon in a backhand, or the butt of my axe to the gut.  They'll do coded damage too, whether or not the text says 'my foot did it' or not.  My emote says what I do.  Kick is the command to put it into use.

Keeping it that way until there's an alternative.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Intrepid"
QuoteI don't know about anyone else, but it would really piss me off to use kick to represent another strike in the current system. (Which affects NOTHING except painting a different picture.) And have a staffer bitch about it.

J, it's probably not a good idea to lay into an imm, new or old.  I realize
you're trying to get clarification and there is the possibility that Olg is
mistaken, but putting him (and possibly other imms) on the defensive is
not going to get you clarification any faster--it only creates a potential
feeling of resentment from your target.

For that matter, it's not a good idea to lay into anyone on this forum.

I'm entitled to my opinion and can post it if I so choose. I mellowed it out a little to sugarcoat it for those of you who complained about it.

Quote from: "Armaddict"
QuoteIf you use the kick command, do not emote a headbutt instead. You kicked. You should also not use kick and emote tossing an elbow instead either. It's a kick, you used your feet.

I refuse.

I use my headbutts.  I use my elbows and knees.  I'll use the pommel of my weapon in a backhand, or the butt of my axe to the gut.  They'll do coded damage too, whether or not the text says 'my foot did it' or not.  My emote says what I do.  Kick is the command to put it into use.

What he said.

Quote from: "Qetesh"That's no to say that you shouldn't use those kinds of emotes at all. Use them with bash.. that's what bash is for. You are basically tossing your body in some way at the other person.

You are totally contradicting yourself. It's okay with bash but not kick? That's doing the same damned thing.  :roll:

Quote from: "Qetesh"
A kick bascially implies that you are using your feet in an attack. That may be a drop kick to the face, a swift kick in the gut, a kick to the back of a guys leg to send him down, even a super cool Street Fighter, Ryu Hurricane Kick...
So the next time my dwarf kicks a half-giant in the head, I should emote leaping up and shouting something completely unintelligible while spinning five times in the air?
What next, emote dodging hits as ninja-teleporting away?

An arrow flies in from the north and lands on the ground.
> emote takes the arrow to the chest, falling back in slow motion, a stunned look on his pale face.
> pemote With a puff of smoke, @ body disappears, replaced by a piece of cactus with an arrow stuck in its middle.

No thank you.

It is similar to someone casting flamestrike and emoting a waterfall pouring out their hands. Put simply, it's not what the code said you just did.
I think it's more similar to casting Flamestrike and emoting that the flames are all greenish, or that they leap up from the ground instead of fall from the sky.
I think a lot of magickers do things like this when they emote about their spells.  There must have been dozens of different ways the Lightning Bolt spell has been emoted.

If you use the kick command, do not emote a headbutt instead. You kicked. You should also not use kick and emote tossing an elbow instead either. It's a kick, you used your feet.
I'm going to join the crowd of those that refuse to not emote in a realistic free-form when it comes to their spells and skills, unless this is stated as official staff policy.

If this is stated as such, I will cry.

EDITED:
Qetesh did not contradict herself, jhunter.  She said: feel free to emote the manner of throwing your body at your opponent when you bash (the concept of what the Bash skill is).  This is the same as being allowed to emote how you kick (not elbow, but kick with your foot) when using the Kick skill.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

QuoteI'm entitled to my opinion and can post it if I so choose. I mellowed it out a little to sugarcoat it for those of you who complained about it.

I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion--far from it, in fact--and
we're all here to post those opinions.  Your fervor for the game isn't
unappreciated either.  All I did was place a suggestion to you as to the
method of expressing your opinion.  As it appears you may have agreed
with my suggestion, I consider the matter settled; not really a big deal.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "jhunter"
Quote from: "Armaddict"

I refuse.

What he said.

I agree with these guys.

Kick is my 'strike'. A punch, headbutt, karate-chop, hilt-strike, blade-whack, spear-butt strike, or, yes, a flying roundhouse screeching, wild-and-crazy Kung-Fu dragon-kick.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: "Armaddict"I use my headbutts.  I use my elbows and knees.  I'll use the pommel of my weapon in a backhand, or the butt of my axe to the gut.  They'll do coded damage too, whether or not the text says 'my foot did it' or not.  My emote says what I do.  Kick is the command to put it into use.

Yes, they do do damage. And there are skills for that. Like bash, or your regular fighting skills.  But you should not be tossing a kick out and using an alternate emote to make up for a skill you don't have.  Kicks use your  legs. It's that simple. If you want to emote that you used your knee instead and then tossed an elbow, I'm sure that works. But to completely replace the fact that you just kicked someone by doing something unrelated in my mind, is an abuse of the code with your emote.

Though the damage somewhat similar, you are essentially compensating for a skill you don't have and that is very much like casting a spell you do have then emoting an effect it doesn't have.

To further the point of that.. there are items in the game that can enhance this skill. So did your ability to beat someone over the head with a sword just get better because you have spike tipped boots?

I personally wouldn't do it, and think it's bad RP. I do think a strike command is nice, but that is also my opinion, I'd be interested to see what the rest of the staff thinks.

We have the bash command. So if your guild doesn't have that command I don't think you should be compensating for it with kick and alternate emotes..  Just learn a few cool ways to use kick.

QuoteKicks use your legs. It's that simple. If you want to emote that you used your knee instead and then tossed an elbow, I'm sure that works. But to completely replace the fact that you just kicked someone by doing something unrelated in my mind, is an abuse of the code with your emote.

That's a very narrowminded view of things IMO.

So, according to what you are saying, we can't emote tossing something to someone if we use the coded command "give" to give it to them. Because it doesn't say that we tossed it to them?

We couldn't emote say....walking on our hands, (acrobat or whatever) because the code shows us as walking (generally considered on your feet) when we move into another room?

You can't emote, tying a rope to something before cllimbing down it...because the code says he are just holding in our hands?

Then what about Suk-Krathis using cantrips, or even coded spells, to prepare food?  Travel cakes, bread, cooked meat, dried fruit, et cetera...

What about people trying to hide, via emote and ldesc, in a closet or under a table while they lack the skill?

People braiding their own hair while they have no knowledge of ropemaking?

The fact is that the code is secondary to the roleplay.  This is why, once upon a time, I've heard about a character that was stranded in a locked room, being attacked by someone, and this character broke the door down (via Wish) and successfully got away?  This is because it's realistic that a strong person in Zalanthas will be able to break down most doors, since they tend to have little if any reinforcements and the wood tends to be thin and/or weak.

And in contrast, of course, is the fact that not everything that the code lets you do should be done.  It's very easy to hunt until you're dangerously low on hitpoints, get back and sleep for five RL minutes and then hop back to it, and yet nobody should ever do that.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

So, according to what you are saying, we can't emote tossing something to someone if we use the coded command "give" to give it to them. Because it doesn't say that we tossed it to them?

We couldn't emote say....walking on our hands, (acrobat or whatever) because the code shows us as walking (generally considered on your feet) when we move into another room?

You can't emote, tying a rope to something before cllimbing down it...because the code says he are just holding in our hands?

I'm not saying that you cannot be liberal in the way you use the skill. But it is a skill and you should not be using it to compensate for others that your PC may lack.

All I am saying is that if you use a kick and choose to emote it. It should in some way involve a blow with your legs and preferably your feet.

The fact that things can inhance it, just like things can inhance bash, or your ordinary fighting and the fact that not everyone has the skill should be a factor when you think about tossing a kick in your fight. If it's doing specific coded damage, you should be Rp'ing it properly.

Using a kick emote to compensate for something a character lacks.
If I understand this correctly, this is much less about elbowing and weaponbutt-slamming (not coded skills) and more about using 'kick' as a leg-sweep to trip someone a la bash, or to kick away an attack a la parry, or by attempting to disarm with the kick.

If this is all you meant, Qetesh, I don't think anyone here was really in any disagreement.

Quote from: "Larrath"Using a kick emote to compensate for something a character lacks.
If I understand this correctly, this is much less about elbowing and weaponbutt-slamming (not coded skills) and more about using 'kick' as a leg-sweep to trip someone a la bash, or to kick away an attack a la parry, or by attempting to disarm with the kick.

If this is all you meant, Qetesh, I don't think anyone here was really in any disagreement.

No, it's using kick as a bash form of hit. Like throwing a kick, waiting for a coded response for success/failure, then emoting that you headbutted someone.

Why it's bad is because Kick is a coded skill, with certain items that give you an advatage/disadvantage on success and damage, and all of it is footwear. So, having a pair of super sharp boots on will essentially make you a better head-butter in your free form emoting style for kick.

By using the coded damage of a kick as another form of hit.. It just seems sort of twinkish.. Yes I understand it's just an emote and you don't have a lot of alternatives, but we do have a skill for that sort of thing and it's the bash skill.

Or you could even come off a bunch of good hits landed with your weapons by emoting that you've butted them with your blade or tossed out a headbutt.

I really don't think it's that big a deal if you toss a kick and then emote tossing your knee up and then headbutting.. But you should "realistically" and I use the term lightly, be using your feet in some way if you are going to emote out the damage cause by a kick.

As for the Half Giant Scenerio, you could always emote kicking it in the groin and then kicking it in the face when it's bent over.. Though I think the flying through the air hurricane kick is your best bet.. far more power and you have that wind thing working for you.  :wink:

I think what Qetesh is getting at is that "kick" implies a kick - swinging a leg with the intent of striking someone with your leg or foot - while "bash" implies attacking someone with a part of your body - be it a kick, elbow, knee, Five-Point-Palm Exploding-Heart attack, etc.

In other words, instead of substituting all those attacks for a kick, do it for a bash.

[Edit - And Qetesh beat me to it. Drat.]-

Quote from: "Olgaris"

Please re-read the bolded part of my statement. It does not seem ambiguous to me as to whether I was stating staff policy or my own opinion.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Okay, as I see this, we have a skill called 'kick' that does extra damage.  We have a skill called 'bash' that does some damage as well, but also carries the knock down behind it.  These are code-based things.  This is a roleplaying game.  Code...roleplaying...which will win?

Personally, I believe that we should be able to emote whatever we want.  Seriously, if what Qetash and Olgaris are stating ends up being the official staff standpoint, noone on Zalanthas will ever be able to headbutt, knee or elbow someone...because the canned emote said something different.  Canned emotes can bite my ass, for all I care.  In many cases they are great for letting you know what you did...but in many, they're restrictive and hamper RP.  I'd rather roleplay and have fun than have to pay way too much attention to the code rather than focus on the story and making it a good one.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Mmkay.

So because we put bonuses to skills on only a certain item slot (which I understand...I don't think 'kick' was anticipated as somethin people would use like 'strike', at least not to the extent it is), then I'm not allowed, at least in some peoples opinions, to have a unique fighting style that may or may not include straight up 'kicks' that use the boot-into-the-body approach?  As in, I'm allowed to have my character throw elbows and headbutts and pommel-slams in combat, I'm just not allowed to actually do damage for trying it.  Hurray for having your own fighting styles.

As for using the 'kick' skill to give your character skills they shouldn't have, such as those pommel slams and the like...I think that with the restricted number of actual combat skills/scripts there are, that mode of thought restricts the imagination on combat scenes -far- too much.  We've been degraded into people who stand still now (since the game does not tell me I'm adept at moving around, aside from the dodges, which don't tell me anything besides 'you move and make him miss').

The way I've always seen it...use bash if you're doing something that's trying to take someone off their feet.  Use the emote before you use the skill, it's rather simple, actually.  If you miss, it's fairly easy to come up with a way you messed it up to lose your balance, or if your opponent is quick and perceptive, they may toss in an emote saying how -they- knock you over in -your- move. (I love when that happens.)

Use kick if it's a simple strike.  NOT limited to the feet, as strikes are NOT limited to from the feet, and there is no other coded way for these strikes to come into effect.  If it's just hitting them with an off-blow between weapon attacks...it's -probably- a kick.  A 'strike'.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "spawnloser"Personally, I believe that we should be able to emote whatever we want.  Seriously, if what Qetash and Olgaris are stating ends up being the official staff standpoint, noone on Zalanthas will ever be able to headbutt, knee or elbow someone...because the canned emote said something different.  Canned emotes can bite my ass, for all I care.  

First it's Qetesh, and second.. That's not what I am saying..

All I am saying is that you should not use the "coded" effect of kick with some other kind of fighting -without- some kind of kick incorporated.

I don't think it's ok to wait to see if someone gets the "you get side hammered by so-and-so's kick, you see stars" to emote a headbutt instead.

And that is because the kick -skill- is a skill and should be used as a skill. And like most skills, certain things will make it more and less effective. Specifically footwear.

Things like headbutts are not skills, so they can be emoted, whenever you want, but using kick and then basing the result of a kick on weither or not you landed a headbutt or how good a headbutt is, doesn't make sense and in my personal opinion, should not be done.

So for example:

Bad:

John kicks tom

Delay

Tom gets kicked and sees stars.

John emotes "Comming in close and wrapping up toms weapons, john headbutts Tom, knocking him dizzy"

Good:

John kicks tom

Delay

Tom gets kicked and see's stars

John emotes "John kicks Tom back, then catching him off balance and coming in close, knocks him with a headbutt."

I'm not saying you can't do it.. Just don't base the coded response off it.

Sorry for the misspelling...

Anyway, I still feel that this is too restrictive.  If your opinion is that we should not emote anything other than, as Armaddict said, boot-to-opponent style kick when using the skill, I don't want 'kick' no more.  Something more generic that allows creativity should be used.

This is a game that has code, yes, but first and foremost, roleplaying is about the story.  Having canned emotes for skills that are both so specific that we can not play around them, when the coded effect is unchanged (command entered -> random roll -> damage to opponent), is counterproductive to roleplay.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I've always been an advocate of replacing the skill 'kick' with the skill 'strike'.

It would solve the entire argument people are having on this thread.

With an open-ended 'strike' echo, people could emote anything within the realm of reason, from kicks, to using the butts of their weapons, etc.  I believe that was the intent behind the original suggestion of this thread (and not the argument it has devolved into).

Until then, though, I do agree that emoting out the kick command should somehow involve use of the foot, even if you're mainly using your foot to trip them up so you can get close for an emoted strike.

It can cause confusion otherwise.

I'd prefer we fix the combat system all together. And if not, then I hope we can either get strike, or a new command. Or new commands. Awesome. I agree somewhat on kick. Just because you are good at kicking someone doesn't mean you are good at headbutting someone.

New skills (could be worked into a new unhanded combat style, called Brawler)

Headbutt
Kick
Strike

This is what I do when I kick.

Quoteemote ducks low and jumps up, attempting to headbutte ~target.

kick target
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

QuoteAnyway, I still feel that this is too restrictive. If your opinion is that we should not emote anything other than, as Armaddict said, boot-to-opponent style kick when using the skill, I don't want 'kick' no more. Something more generic that allows creativity should be used.

He -clearly- pointed out that emoting OTHER actions is perfectly acceptable as long as they are SEPARATE from the action of 'kick.' When you type in 'kick person,' you .... kick ... them. I agree, that IS restrictive, but I always feel silly emoting anything -other- than a kick for a 'kick' skill.

Semper Pax,

Dirr

Looks like a lot of people feel like kick is too restrictive due to it tying you to the specific things the code is saying is going on.  In my personal opinion this is a valid complaint... I like to see commands that give you enough leeway to use your imagination and flesh out the details of what is going on yourself.  However, the solution here is not to decide that the command doesn't do what its doing and roleplay something completely different.  I think some adjustments to the kick command aren't a bad idea and would love to see more discussion on what could change.  I'm going to look at the code when I get home tonight and see how difficult adjustments would be.

I'd personally like to have kick left alone.. I like the comand and would like to have an alternate command that allows you to make upper body strikes without the full brunt of knocking somone down.

Things like headbutting, elbows to the face and neck and bashing the pommel of a weapon to the face and neck sent into one command, maybe call it.. I dunno.. Strike?

To make sure I'm clear, I'm not saying I'm looking at the code to go right ahead and change it, for now its just for the sake of discussion (I think its a good discussion)

Dirr, I understand that...but I think that we have a working skill that simply has the wrong name and wrong canned emote.  I've never felt bad about kneeing or headbutting being the emote when I use the command.  Most people simply adapt.

Qetesh, as far as having multiple skills/commands...I think we don't need more, we just need one that's less RP restrictive, if we're going to be considered poor RPers for not emoting our foot being involved in any unarmed blow that isn't fists.

*shrug*

I'm fine with using bash for other stuff and kick for kick.  :)
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

I'd prefer more code to support RP that much more.

I don't like it how someone can be good at kick and good at headbutting, even if they only ever kick.

Bash is damage plus knockdown, with the possibility of knocking yourself down.  Kick is damage.  I feel that one is appropriate for when knocking someone down, no matter how emoted.  The other is for just doing an extra swing with forehead/elbow/knee/foot/bum to do damage.

Also, some people end up with one skill and not the other.  How do you work around that?  If you have only kick and want to headbutt, because that's your character's style...you'd have to find another way to go about it, Tarx.

Quote from: "Delirium"I've always been an advocate of replacing the skill 'kick' with the skill 'strike'.

It would solve the entire argument people are having on this thread.

With an open-ended 'strike' echo, people could emote anything within the realm of reason, from kicks, to using the butts of their weapons, etc.  I believe that was the intent behind the original suggestion of this thread (and not the argument it has devolved into).

Until then, though, I do agree that emoting out the kick command should somehow involve use of the foot, even if you're mainly using your foot to trip them up so you can get close for an emoted strike.

It can cause confusion otherwise.

I agree. As of now, the "kick" has an echo saying that you either hit or missed a "kick".

Boots of various kinds can increase the damage of your "kick".

If you want to type kick and then emote headbutting, but still get the damage increase afforded by your spike toed laser boots, thats fine, but well...The game said you kicked me. *shrug*

I would love a generalized Strike command to go with Bash. Bash, I feel leaves a little bit to the imagination.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "Raesanos"Looks like a lot of people feel like kick is too restrictive due to it tying you to the specific things the code is saying is going on.  In my personal opinion this is a valid complaint... I like to see commands that give you enough leeway to use your imagination and flesh out the details of what is going on yourself.  However, the solution here is not to decide that the command doesn't do what its doing and roleplay something completely different.  I think some adjustments to the kick command aren't a bad idea and would love to see more discussion on what could change.  I'm going to look at the code when I get home tonight and see how difficult adjustments would be.

This really sums up my thoughts. I'd love to see:

Strike - Extra Damage  + bonus for gear (Ala kick)

Physical Knock Down - Extra Damage + Knock Down + Bonus for Gear  (Ala Bash)

How would you determine how to give out damage bonuses for strike? Boots, vs Gloves?

I hate canned emotes. While we're at it lets remove them from Brawl.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I think the -easiest- solution would be simply to rename kick as strike and reword the echos the code sends to be more generic...
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Halaster"I think the -easiest- solution would be simply to rename kick as strike and reword the echos the code sends to be more generic...

Yeah, exactly.

Quote from: "Halaster"I think the -easiest- solution would be simply to rename kick as strike and reword the echos the code sends to be more generic...

Exactly, -and- add the ability to tag an emote onto it. Problem solved. That is pretty much what I was getting at with my original suggestion on the idea of a "strike" command. That is how alot of people who play combat types and want to have more of their own fighting style use kick anyway.

I agree. It keeps the code simplistic in its nature yet leaves it up to the players to emote how their pc's are acting.

I also like jhunter's idea about tagging emotes to 'strike'. Just a few thoughts. I'm glad the discussion at least has people thinking. That's a plus.  :wink:

No doubt. *flex*

*drools over the idea of more skills*

Exactly, -and- add the ability to tag an emote onto it. Problem solved. That is pretty much what I was getting at with my original suggestion on the idea of a "strike" command. That is how alot of people who play combat types and want to have more of their own fighting style use kick anyway.
Me, I agree with Halaster...adding the ability to tag on an emote as part of the command is just gravy, though.