The Misfired Think

Started by Qetesh, August 08, 2005, 10:08:40 AM

The OOC Chatter Topic got me thinking. And I didn't want to Hijack the thread

I have done this, and badly a few times. Saying a think can be -really- bad for your PC sometimes, but can also make for some awesome RP.

I also admire the folks that just roll with a misfired think saying things like:

The super muscular, tough guy says in sirihish, "Damn, that templar has a fine ass, I'd love to get me a piece a that!"

The super muscular, tough guy slaps his hand to his mouth and looks around quickly sputtering, "I mean, tender has a fine all...Yeah, the a.. Bartender.. Yeah."

The super muscular, tough guy slinks off his stool and makes for the exit.

So, how about you? Do you Do the OOC oops sorry, ignore that! Or do you role with it. Which do you think is better?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the OOC is horrible RP or anything. I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks.
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

Heh, that happened with last char of mine. I slipped something which I shouldn't because of IC carelessness, but after the other player warned me OOCly, I decided my character would slip it. So we decided my character really slipped that word.
Starting with the last char, I decided to slip thoughts into Way conversations from time to time, also slipping some hints. It's way too exciting to see the results, and the results usually don't mean death.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I love misfired thinks. Once in awhile, I'll even do it on purpose, because it's something my character might blurt out by mistake.

I've also been in a way conversation with someone, and psi'ed what I *really* thought about them when I meant to use think.

I think (heh) people should totally roll with it and not OOC that it should be ignored, because it is totally realistic and playable that your character would mumble something he meant to keep to himself.

Quote from: "Bestatte"I love misfired thinks. Once in awhile, I'll even do it on purpose, because it's something my character might blurt out by mistake.

I'm of the view that if you say it you say it. If it comes out, like the one that inspired the original thread which was pretty funny, as an emote instead of a say then I would ignore it as nobody has actually said anything. I've been asked a couple of times IC to forget that something was said in a 1-1 conversation and I was a little reluctant to do so but did anyway. I'd much rather see people go with the mistake and play it out IC. Everybody blurts out something inapproriate from time to time.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

I misfired a think once and my knee-jerk reaction was "OOC ack! ignore that!" and then afterward I regretted it SO much. I'll never do that again, it's much more fun to roll with it IC.

If it's a minor accident, I'd roll with it.
If it's major, I will OOC and ask it to be ignored.

Quote from: "Minor accident"
talk Damn that finger-wiggler is annoying.  Wish he'd just leave.

Quote from: "Major accident"
talk Damn that finger-wiggler is annoying.  Can't wait until I get him alone and show him what magick can really do.

Pretty simple really.  Misdirecting a think is no reason to have a PC die or a plot end.  I already try to put some hints when my characters lie and it's applicable.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I disagree about the major vs. minor accident point.  To use Larrath's example, I think it'd be far more disruptive to the game as a whole to have some people OOCly know that a particular char is a magicker/defiler and not be able to ICly act on it than to have said magicker/defiler accidently blow his own cover.

Personally, I will never go OOC to correct a misfired think, no matter how major.  Even when it gets my characters into trouble, it always makes a fun scene.

Whenever I misfire a think, I always say to ignore it OOCly, but that's not saying much, since I've only done it once or twice.  But, reading through this topic, and the other one, has inspired me to try to roll with my misfired thinks ICly.  It sounds like fun.
Given the choice between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I would have the courage to betray my country." - E. M. Forster

I've had PCs get mind and mouth mixed up SO many times, and each and every time I rolled with it ICly.  If you ask me, breaking character to ask people to ignore something like that is pretty jarring.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

A few times, I misfired thinks via psi, and things that were meant to "talk" sending them via the Way.  I rolled with them, they were all easy things not things that I would regret to spill them out.  But I wished sometimes, to actually blurt something big, and something that better be kept in thoughts.  I would love the adrenaline in trying to roll with them.

I don't really mind people going ooc for blurted out thinks, but I would prefer them to keep it IC and make it Boggis' way:  What is said is said, what is done it done.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Just like everyone else here, I tend to 'roll with it', but if someone else misfires a think or a psi and they don't seem to realise it, I always ask them OOCly if they would like me to keep going or forget it happened.
Fear not death, for it is your destiny.

Oh shit, did I say that?

Yeah..you did.

I have made the mistake many times, Ways, Thinks and Talking..and I always roll with it.

I was going to respond to Larrath's example, but Marauder Moe explains well my sentiments.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

Never done it myself. *shrug* I suppose that if I did it would depend on the major/minor thing like Larrath was talking about. Some things I'd just go with...others I'd OOC to ignore.

Edit: Thinking about it more I believe it would depend on the pc I'm playing. Some of them it would be IC for them to do that once in a while, others it wouldn't.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

How can it not be in-character for a PC to make a mistake?

Seriously, I consider myself something of a think before you speak type of person, at least by western standards, and I've blurted out things I really regret.

If someone OOC'ed me to ignore something their PC said that was clearly a think or a psi I wouldn't and I'd have to say I have a lot of respect for people who just roll with mistakes.  OOC'ing to ask that people ignore it is pretty shitty, especially because everyone who 'heard' the think now is put in the most awkward of positions of ignoring that you plan to kill them and going about playing their PC as normal, or whatever.

QuoteHow can it not be in-character for a PC to make a mistake?

We're talking about -one- particular mistake, that of saying something outloud you did not intend to say.

It is my belief that not everyone does this.  *shrug* So I figure it would depend on the intelligence or self-control of a particular pc how often or if at all they would do this.

For me, the major/minor thing is reversed.

If someone OOCs asking me to ignore a slip-up that reveals a minor piece of information, I can accept that.  I would never do it personally, but it's better not to risk having someone else flip out OOCly and repeatedly insist that I ignore what they said.

But if I find out that they are a magicker, for instance, it's not something I can just forget.  Playing it out as though they've actually said it is the only option for me in this instance.
Back from a long retirement

I, personally, will always roll with it. A lot of people want to play characters who are too badass, too slick, too whatever... sometimes the most fun comes from playing out your characters faults and mess ups.

That said (since it's really an entirely different point), it doesn't bother me when people do it, especially if it doesn't really click with their character. A character (like my current) who blunders a lot of things, it's fine for them to blurt out a think. It's even more entertaining, since it was unintentional. But I've seen other characters who are too in control, too conscious of their actions and words for that mistake to really fit with them. Of course, even more props if it damages your character's cold, calculating image, and you roll with it nonetheless... But I can see how a player would want to have it swept under the OOC rug.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Rolling with it is the only way to go.

I've fired off soo many thinks as talks during this PC it isn't even funny.
Well, it is, but not to me at the time.

For instance..

I was being really nice to someone IC in what I was saying, and mean to them in my head.

Then I *Accidently* say something like. "I can't wait to get away from the half breed waste of water."

Let us just say, it ruined the day for my Pc and makes me crack up still
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I rp em just like they happened, it was a misfired think so your character fucked up and said what he was thinking. These are more fun then doing it on purpose 'cause you experiance the wonderful surprise also ;-).
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Rolling with it is often more fun.

However, if they want to OOC out of it then it's all good.  It is better to let pepole out of OOC mistakes than make them so nervous about OOC mistakes hurting them ICly that they avoid using Think at all.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Most of my thinks are like this:

I type: Say (grumbling to himself) Stop being such an asshole.

Then I go back and turn it into a think if my character just "wants" to say it, but doesn't.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

This has been insightful.  I agree with AC that while in my personal opinion, it is always fun to just play it out, you should always have the option of OOC'ing that it was a mistake and asking other players to ignore it.

The think command is after all there to enhance and develop your character, not be used against you, most of the time.

There were a few good examples of where it would be difficult for other players to look the other way. Blurting out you are a magicker, or that you hate the Highlord and can't wait to kill the templar sitting just to your left.  Again, I don't know what the right answer is there, asking people to ignore it will basically ruin a well kept secrete for them and accepting the consequences would most likely have you killed. No easy answer on those,  I was just curious to see what the bulk of you would do with things like that.

My PC's thinks are always about things that they would not say aloud but are running though their head. Who they Love, Hate, want to gut with their skinning knife at the bar. If they are feeling a little bubbly from the semi-rank slab of meat they found on the road and ate.

So mine are always pretty horrible when I say them. But always fun..

I detest OOC ignore that's.   I detest it.
Veteran Newbie

I don't mind somoene asking me to ignore something they mistyped by accident.  I have asked myself on occasion.  For me ignoring it in most instances is necessary as depending on the screwup, it may be totally OOC for thier PC to say that out loud or to the wrong person, whatever.  So I don't mind a mistake now and then. :)

Quote from: "Dracul"I detest OOC ignore that's.   I detest it.

That's why you have to beat them to the punch with an

OOC: No take-backsies.

:wink:

I don't remember making this mistake before (maybe I need to use more 'thinks').   Along similar lines, though, one time I contacted the person I wanted to gossip ABOUT rather than gossip TO.   Boy, was that a train wreck.   I wouldn't have planned that, but rolling with it did make things interesting.   I would have felt cheesy asking the other player to ignore it.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

In my opinion, once you've made an IC response to their messup, be it a think, a say, an emote, that -is- a "no take-backsies."

Also, yeah, another strongly in favor of rolling with it.  I've done it a couple of times and it was always a hoot.  If you're that worried, abbreviate think to "thi" and I guarantee you won't slip up to "talk" if you aren't thinking about the K in think.

"No take backies" is such a disgusting and unsporting attitude that it's almost sickening.
If I jump on top of the blue table exactly when the blue-robed templar is walking in and some onlooker is eyebrowing me, my PC is stuck after doing this completely insane and dangerous action?

If my dwarf whose focus is to always say only the smartest and most deliberate things speaks out a think when he's more careful when choosing his words than he is around mekillot breeding grounds and someone thinks 'huh?', he's stuck?

These are extreme examples to compliment an extreme method.  Do you really think an elementalist who hid his powers for twenty years, probably with a great deal of effort, is going to suddenly blurt out that he thinks the templars are pitiful for having to rely on the Sorcerer-Kings' magick when he's just sitting at the bar without drinking and when keeping his mouth shut?

I was once in a situation where my PC overheard another PC's think about him, which revealed that the way my PC has been treated the entire time was just a sham.  The second PC asked for it to be ignored and I ignored it, and we kept interacting and had fun and it was just fine.  This is what any player worth a dime should do.

I'll even go further and say this: if a player goes OOC and asks you to ignore something and you don't want to, wish up and ask the staff to judge.  You are not RP police and you have absolutely no authority determining what other players are saying or not saying.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath""No take backies" is such a disgusting and unsporting attitude that it's almost sickening.

Oh, lighten up.  I suspect by the playground terminology that there may have been some form of "joking" in place.  Just wait until "no tagbacks" comes into effect!

Also, if you roll up the "eloquent-focused dwarf", I'd suggest putting a bit of OOC effort in making sure his says come out right, too.

My personal preference is always going to be to roll with it, simply because it injects a realistic bit of fallibility in a character, when many players are very reluctant to let their characters slip up.

I'm certainly not going to whine if someone does "ooc ignore that please", but it isn't going to be my choice.

Yeah..the no take-backsies thing was supposed to be a joke (hence the :wink: ).  

But I really do think it's best, in most cases, to roll with the OOC mistakes.  Some of this discussion reminds me, in a way, of the discussion a ways back about using triggers to always close your pack because your character would never ever forget.  I don't know about stuff like that...PCs that can't make mistakes aren't very interesting, IMHO.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

The more I think about it, the more I think it is all depending on the situation.  An example:

If I were talking to some guy at work and I am thinking "This guy is the ugliest fucker I have ever seen."  I would never say outloud to him, "This guy is the ugliest fucker I have ever seen".  It is just completely unrealistic and OOC for someone to do unless they have Turrets Syndrom, so I can understand asking to ignore it.

However, if someone were telling this unbelievable story and I am thinking "Bullshit." and I somehow silently word it out thinking he may not overhear..I could understand playing it off as that.  Not sure if I am getting my thoughts across or not as I am sleepy.  Anyways, thats all I got.

I tend to be of the opinion that if someone asks you OOCly to ignore something, you do so.  If you don't want to, then wish up and have the staff sort it out.  I personally think that you are in absolutely no position to make the judgment for yourself as to whether or not a technical error should be counted as having been IC.

When it comes down to it, miss fired thinks and emotes are technical problems on par with going link dead.  Most of the time people just play through them.  If someone goes link dead, they might just play through it when they connect by saying that they had someone contact them via the way and so they got distracted and missed anything said.  Other times though it might be so jarring to make IC excuses you simply OOC that your connection got screwed and that you need to replay the scene.  Misfired thinks and emotes are the same thing.  Get around it ICly if you can, but OOC it if you can't.  

Having your delfier get caught after being around for 2 RL years because he thought out loud in a room full of templars is just a stupid waste of everyone's time.  I would much rather see said delfier OOC for everyone to ignore what he said, then later give people an out such that they don't have to keep pretending to not know who he is.  For instance, he might RP later on in the day that a soldier tried to drag him into jail after misidentifying him for someone else, and he called down the unholy fires of hell upon that soldier and fled the city.  This way everyone is at least partially satisfied.  Delfier does not have to instantly die in a wasteful orgy of death due to an OOC problem, and the templars don't need to pretend that they don't know who the delfier is.  This sort of compromise solution is MUCH better then just flat out killing someone over an OOC problem.

If the player had plans to use the "think" command, I really do not see any problem with using the OOC command. Also, It is an OOC mistake and should be delt with the use of the OOC command.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

QuoteI tend to be of the opinion that if someone asks you OOCly to ignore something, you do so.

Eh, no.  Ignoring a keyword messup..yes.  Ignoring you said your thoughts about killing me..hah, fat chance.

Quote from: "CRW"How can it not be in-character for a PC to make a mistake?

It is not the character's fault; Its more of the player's mistake.

>drop pants

Quote from: "Yokunama"It is not the character's fault; Its more of the player's mistake.
But considering how rarely PCs make mistakes I think it's only fair to roleplay that they made the mistake instead of asking a roomful of people to forget that you are a defiler.  That's just a shitty position for everyone to be in, I think players should roll with it and let your character face the consequences.

Quote from: "CRW"
Quote from: "Yokunama"It is not the character's fault; Its more of the player's mistake.
But considering how rarely PCs make mistakes I think it's only fair to roleplay that they made the mistake instead of asking a roomful of people to forget that you are a defiler.  That's just a shitty position for everyone to be in, I think players should roll with it and let your character face the consequences.

I don't know about you, CRW, but my characters makes lots of mistakes.  He's a bit of a dolt, sometimes.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"I don't know about you, CRW, but my characters makes lots of mistakes.  He's a bit of a dolt, sometimes.
I'm not talking about me, I'm talking about my perception of PCs in general.

For me personally I've had PCs charge headlong to their deaths knowing full well that's what would happen, fly off the handle at their superiors and, yes, I've had a PC essentially say 'Good thing they don't know I'm a nilazi' in a room full of PCs instead of using the think command.  Rolling with it was a lot more fun than going 'ooc You don't know I'm a nilazi!'

Also, while we're inventing scenarios, consider the stealth char spying on you.  You accidentally say "I'll zap him with my defiler powers."  Spy goes "yippee," and sneaks out to inform Faithful Lord Defiler-Hater.  You then "ooc ignore that."  Too late, the IC wheels are in motion and you're going to disappear.

And yeah, let your character mess up once in a while, in a manner appropriate to his personality.  -Everybody- messes up, just in different ways.  I can't even adequately explained the laughs I've gotten from other characters tearing their hair out in frustration when my char screws up.

If someone makes a mistake and types in the wrong thing, then asks you to ignore it, I think you should.

I think it's a good thing if people just run with things like that, but everything has it's limits. If someone types something as a mishap and quickly types "OOC please dismiss that, it was an error." You should except their choice and let things be as they were. If you think that what they said is absolutely impossible to let go, as such seems the debate with hidden magickers and mind benders (seeing as we have so many of those running about) wish to the staff for intervention and consultation on what to do. But never just negate the other persons request and bring an OOC mistake into the IC realm of things despite their request not to.

If you ask me, that's worse than forgetting about the consent rule. Be considerate to your fellow players.

Nothing is worse than forgetting about the consent rule.  The consent rule is the most important OOC rule we have.
</staff>

On the subject of typing errors yielding IC difficulties, I think that the precedents established by a number of our other rules and guidelines set a pretty good foundation for this.  We don't resurrect your PC if you accidentally type "kill" instead of "kiss" or you accidentally wander off the Shield Wall.  Therefore, I don't personally think the players around you should be responsible for helping you recover from your mistake in blurting out that you're a baby-killing nilazi defiler spy who spits in peoples' ale when they're not looking.

That's my personal opinion (the stuff I said above about the consent rule isn't).

-- X

Yes, Xygax is right, consent is the most important rule we have.  

But, I still think consideration for your fellow players is important as well, it's a game. And yeah, that's just my opinion as well. Clearly staff has no offical ruling on it.

I would be horribly embarrased OOC'ly if I misfired a think. It's become my favorite command and I'm constantly using it (correctly, I hope). Now I'm all paranoid that I'm going to misfire a think.

I think just to be fair to the other players, I would roll with it... even if it was something super sensitive. Why? Because I think it would be asking to much for the other players to simply "forget" that my PC is some baby-eating magicker and continue acting normal around me. It would be hard for me to do for someone else. I would like to think that I would be able to, but unlearning things is difficult.

So I'd just take the consequences and make things easier for everyone else.

A paranoid Obsidia

Quote from: "mansa"
Quote from: "CRW"

I don't know about you, CRW, but my characters makes lots of mistakes.  He's a bit of a dolt, sometimes.

Yes, characters make a lot of mistakes without the player even knowing about them.

>drop pants

Whenever someone misfires a think obviously, I just ignore it, but inside I am thinking mwahaha I know what you are thinking about me *shrug* Hope I never do it, allowed.  :oops:

Quote from: "Anonymous"
QuoteI tend to be of the opinion that if someone asks you OOCly to ignore something, you do so.

Eh, no.  Ignoring a keyword messup..yes.  Ignoring you said your thoughts about killing me..hah, fat chance.

Why? It's up to you, ultimately, but to me, I wouldn't have a problem ignoring something like that, if asked-- even if it inconveniences my own PC.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

QuoteI tend to be of the opinion that if someone asks you OOCly to ignore something, you do so. If you don't want to, then wish up and have the staff sort it out. I personally think that you are in absolutely no position to make the judgment for yourself as to whether or not a technical error should be counted as having been IC.

Agreed.

I think rolling with it's groovy.

However. Realistic? Hm. I'm not so sure. I've been wracking my brain, but I can't remember ever spilling something I was thinking in real life by mistake.

i.e. "Ivy you're such an evil spunk-bucket. I hope you get herpies." never came out of my mouth, no matter how many times I thought it at various parties and dispite the large amounts of alcohol I consume. She would still find back-handed ways to compliment me and I'd still ask her politely if I could fill up her wine-glass.

Does this stuff really happen to all of you all IRL?
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: "path"I can't remember ever spilling something I was thinking in real life by mistake.
You've never said something without thinking and instantly regretted it?  Same idea.

The logic people are applying here makes no sense to me.  If someone accidently types 'kill woman' instead of 'kiss woman' they don't get a do-over from the staff after they are tossed in jail.  Everyone in the room isn't given a whisper from 'Someone' to ignore that big fight scene.  So why the special circumstances for typing 'say' instead of 'think'?

Just like tabletop D&D, you spray it you say it.

I've said things without intentionally saying them. Freudian slips are quite common to me. I have also muttered something I was thinking out loud. But all and all I am insane and talk to myself. So.. Take what you will from that.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

it's only happened once to me. I rolled with it and it was fantastic. Of course, it wasn't a life-threatening comment for my character, but it was a pretty devestating one. I think if it was life threatening for him, I might want to cover my ass with an OOC. I'd have to be in the situation to reall say what i'd do. That's a tough call to make sitting safely logged out.

heh I had a character use talk for like three lines while he thought he was psi'ing a tribemate and talking about the woman across the table from her. She started answering what I was saying in the psi and my character was totally convinced that she was reading his mind. <you know who you are you evil Kuraci  8) >

as a side note I had my character psi once when I ment to talk, and promptly passed out cause I was low on stun and waiting to get enough to psi a final time, I didn't
emote OOC: everyone ignore @ passing out he ment to type talk instead of psi so he shouldn't have passed out

heh I wonder what would have happened if I had  :twisted:
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

I've yet to misfire a think myself, though I've come close once or twice when it would have been very bad. I do, however, remember a time when a hidden thief emoted, rather than thought, their rather incriminating think. And no one flinched. Everyone kept up their conversations, stayed in the bar, no scans, OOCs or anything. I was very impressed how everyone handled the whole situation, just letting it roll off without interupting anything.

*applauds*
eeling YB, you think:

Quote from: "bloodfromstone"I've yet to misfire a think myself, though I've come close once or twice when it would have been very bad. I do, however, remember a time when a hidden thief emoted, rather than thought, their rather incriminating think. And no one flinched. Everyone kept up their conversations, stayed in the bar, no scans, OOCs or anything. I was very impressed how everyone handled the whole situation, just letting it roll off without interupting anything.

*applauds*

Yeah...that's a good way to handle it. I remember once when my PC hid away, then I dropped in an emote. Everyone stood up and scanned.
Quote from: Majikal on August 20, 2009, 05:53:09 PM

Running after Carru, catching them, then eating them while they are still breathing is a Red Fang's version of 'fast food'.

I tend to not RP with people that scan everytime they stand up, or enter a bar, or a shop. They just look really paranoid to me and I'd rather not get caught up in their cause of death.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Misfired psi... UGH. Bad, bad memories.

BAD.

So bad that I did not even get a proper death scene.  :(

Quote from: "Akaramu"Misfired psi... UGH. Bad, bad memories.

BAD.

No mantis head?  Wow that sucks.

I was thinking about this, and it really isn't that OOC to have a misfired think/psi. In RL, I sometimes accidentally say outloud what I was thinking and its been slightly awkward.

Personally, I would just go with the flow. I think that its selfish to ask them OOCly to forget something that could very well mean their death or the death of another. If someone asked that of me I would try my very hardest, but I wouldn't be happy.

Of course, I haven't had this happen IG yet. When I do it (and I'm sure I will eventually) and it ends up getting my character killed, I think I'll be sad.
..and the puppet explodes.

Quote from: "wizturbo"

BAD.

Mantis head, but no death scene.

Years ago, my super-uber-spy once mis-psied something like "I surely should not tell about death of X to my boss." to her boss. Really, it was great fun trying to explain I meant something totally different and being worried he understood what is going on. It would be much less fun giving up and OOCing it was a mistake - because this way I managed to make the boss think he misunderstood me.  :twisted:

I'd tend to say roll with the punches when it comes to mis-fired thinks.  Treat them like freudian slips.  They might get you killed sure, but so can a power surge at your house at an inopportune time.

Quote from: "Akaramu"

BAD.

Mantis head, but no death scene.

You misunderstood my sarcastic comment.  The mantis head *is* your death scene.  Just because you don't see the roleplay that leads to a PC's death doesn't mean it isn't there.  Might not be as pretty and cinematic as some may like, but this is Zalanthas not Hollywood.  Death comes swiftly and sometimes we never even know why.

Quote from: "JohnGalt"I'd tend to say roll with the punches when it comes to mis-fired thinks.  Treat them like freudian slips.  They might get you killed sure, but so can a power surge at your house at an inopportune time.

I agree that most of the time it is best to roll with it.  However, no one should ever feel compelled keep a mis-think out there.  Why?  Because if people are afraid of making mistakes (potentially disasterous mistakes) with think, then they are likely to not use the think command at all.  That would be a shame.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I have had one missed fired psi with only my short presence here, and I asked them to OOCly ignore it. But after reading through this thread, from now own I will just roll with it. It seems that you would have more fun rp'ing our your little mistake than simply just asking for them to ignore it.
staff member sends:
     "No problem. We'll just eat your brainz later

You misunderstood my sarcastic comment.  The mantis head *is* your death scene.  Just because you don't see the roleplay that leads to a PC's death doesn't mean it isn't there.  Might not be as pretty and cinematic as some may like, but this is Zalanthas not Hollywood.  Death comes swiftly and sometimes we never even know why.

You misunderstood me as well.  :wink:

But I wontnt go into it. Lets just drop it.

Had one the other night. Was hilariously funny, too.

"Oops. I said that with my outside voice, huh?"

I like playing PC's that make mistakes like real people.

Proxie
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

If someone didn't ignore my misfired think, I would be pissed off. Hopefully, I would know them personally so I could punch them in the face the next time I saw them.

QuoteI like playing PC's that make mistakes like real people.

And we (or at least I) love you for it. :)
eeling YB, you think:

You mis-target something because of keyword duplication?  Okay.

You mis-command and speak a think?  You screwed up, just like killing 'kill' instead of 'kiss' when greetings the templar.  Suffer the repurcussions, I say.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

It depends the mistake. If someone asks me to ignore something, I will. If someone doesn't ignore something that I have politely asked them to, I am going to get pissed. This may or may not affect play, but if it is at all realistic, you can bet the character's going to end up grumpy and pissy too. The attitude of not allowing someone to fix a mistake, especially an important one, is stupid and childish and a little vindictive. I woudl detest anyone with that attitude.

Personally, I usually go with it, but occasionally, if I deem it important to plot or play I'll ask for it to be ignored.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

See, I hate rewinding.  If you've screwed up and I've already responded...I'm already thinking like my character would in that situation.  It's hard to 'undo' things when people have already assimilated.  It's often better to just roll with it.  If it's secret information, it's already out...and like it or not, it will influence people, no matter how they try to let it not.  It is SO much simpler to grimace and bear the fact that you screwed up.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.