The Misfired Think

Started by Qetesh, August 08, 2005, 10:08:40 AM

The OOC Chatter Topic got me thinking. And I didn't want to Hijack the thread

I have done this, and badly a few times. Saying a think can be -really- bad for your PC sometimes, but can also make for some awesome RP.

I also admire the folks that just roll with a misfired think saying things like:

The super muscular, tough guy says in sirihish, "Damn, that templar has a fine ass, I'd love to get me a piece a that!"

The super muscular, tough guy slaps his hand to his mouth and looks around quickly sputtering, "I mean, tender has a fine all...Yeah, the a.. Bartender.. Yeah."

The super muscular, tough guy slinks off his stool and makes for the exit.

So, how about you? Do you Do the OOC oops sorry, ignore that! Or do you role with it. Which do you think is better?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the OOC is horrible RP or anything. I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks.
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

Heh, that happened with last char of mine. I slipped something which I shouldn't because of IC carelessness, but after the other player warned me OOCly, I decided my character would slip it. So we decided my character really slipped that word.
Starting with the last char, I decided to slip thoughts into Way conversations from time to time, also slipping some hints. It's way too exciting to see the results, and the results usually don't mean death.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I love misfired thinks. Once in awhile, I'll even do it on purpose, because it's something my character might blurt out by mistake.

I've also been in a way conversation with someone, and psi'ed what I *really* thought about them when I meant to use think.

I think (heh) people should totally roll with it and not OOC that it should be ignored, because it is totally realistic and playable that your character would mumble something he meant to keep to himself.

Quote from: "Bestatte"I love misfired thinks. Once in awhile, I'll even do it on purpose, because it's something my character might blurt out by mistake.

I'm of the view that if you say it you say it. If it comes out, like the one that inspired the original thread which was pretty funny, as an emote instead of a say then I would ignore it as nobody has actually said anything. I've been asked a couple of times IC to forget that something was said in a 1-1 conversation and I was a little reluctant to do so but did anyway. I'd much rather see people go with the mistake and play it out IC. Everybody blurts out something inapproriate from time to time.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

I misfired a think once and my knee-jerk reaction was "OOC ack! ignore that!" and then afterward I regretted it SO much. I'll never do that again, it's much more fun to roll with it IC.

If it's a minor accident, I'd roll with it.
If it's major, I will OOC and ask it to be ignored.

Quote from: "Minor accident"
talk Damn that finger-wiggler is annoying.  Wish he'd just leave.

Quote from: "Major accident"
talk Damn that finger-wiggler is annoying.  Can't wait until I get him alone and show him what magick can really do.

Pretty simple really.  Misdirecting a think is no reason to have a PC die or a plot end.  I already try to put some hints when my characters lie and it's applicable.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I disagree about the major vs. minor accident point.  To use Larrath's example, I think it'd be far more disruptive to the game as a whole to have some people OOCly know that a particular char is a magicker/defiler and not be able to ICly act on it than to have said magicker/defiler accidently blow his own cover.

Personally, I will never go OOC to correct a misfired think, no matter how major.  Even when it gets my characters into trouble, it always makes a fun scene.

Whenever I misfire a think, I always say to ignore it OOCly, but that's not saying much, since I've only done it once or twice.  But, reading through this topic, and the other one, has inspired me to try to roll with my misfired thinks ICly.  It sounds like fun.
Given the choice between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I would have the courage to betray my country." - E. M. Forster

I've had PCs get mind and mouth mixed up SO many times, and each and every time I rolled with it ICly.  If you ask me, breaking character to ask people to ignore something like that is pretty jarring.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

A few times, I misfired thinks via psi, and things that were meant to "talk" sending them via the Way.  I rolled with them, they were all easy things not things that I would regret to spill them out.  But I wished sometimes, to actually blurt something big, and something that better be kept in thoughts.  I would love the adrenaline in trying to roll with them.

I don't really mind people going ooc for blurted out thinks, but I would prefer them to keep it IC and make it Boggis' way:  What is said is said, what is done it done.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Just like everyone else here, I tend to 'roll with it', but if someone else misfires a think or a psi and they don't seem to realise it, I always ask them OOCly if they would like me to keep going or forget it happened.
Fear not death, for it is your destiny.

Oh shit, did I say that?

Yeah..you did.

I have made the mistake many times, Ways, Thinks and Talking..and I always roll with it.

I was going to respond to Larrath's example, but Marauder Moe explains well my sentiments.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

Never done it myself. *shrug* I suppose that if I did it would depend on the major/minor thing like Larrath was talking about. Some things I'd just go with...others I'd OOC to ignore.

Edit: Thinking about it more I believe it would depend on the pc I'm playing. Some of them it would be IC for them to do that once in a while, others it wouldn't.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

How can it not be in-character for a PC to make a mistake?

Seriously, I consider myself something of a think before you speak type of person, at least by western standards, and I've blurted out things I really regret.

If someone OOC'ed me to ignore something their PC said that was clearly a think or a psi I wouldn't and I'd have to say I have a lot of respect for people who just roll with mistakes.  OOC'ing to ask that people ignore it is pretty shitty, especially because everyone who 'heard' the think now is put in the most awkward of positions of ignoring that you plan to kill them and going about playing their PC as normal, or whatever.

QuoteHow can it not be in-character for a PC to make a mistake?

We're talking about -one- particular mistake, that of saying something outloud you did not intend to say.

It is my belief that not everyone does this.  *shrug* So I figure it would depend on the intelligence or self-control of a particular pc how often or if at all they would do this.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

For me, the major/minor thing is reversed.

If someone OOCs asking me to ignore a slip-up that reveals a minor piece of information, I can accept that.  I would never do it personally, but it's better not to risk having someone else flip out OOCly and repeatedly insist that I ignore what they said.

But if I find out that they are a magicker, for instance, it's not something I can just forget.  Playing it out as though they've actually said it is the only option for me in this instance.
Back from a long retirement

I, personally, will always roll with it. A lot of people want to play characters who are too badass, too slick, too whatever... sometimes the most fun comes from playing out your characters faults and mess ups.

That said (since it's really an entirely different point), it doesn't bother me when people do it, especially if it doesn't really click with their character. A character (like my current) who blunders a lot of things, it's fine for them to blurt out a think. It's even more entertaining, since it was unintentional. But I've seen other characters who are too in control, too conscious of their actions and words for that mistake to really fit with them. Of course, even more props if it damages your character's cold, calculating image, and you roll with it nonetheless... But I can see how a player would want to have it swept under the OOC rug.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Rolling with it is the only way to go.

I've fired off soo many thinks as talks during this PC it isn't even funny.
Well, it is, but not to me at the time.

For instance..

I was being really nice to someone IC in what I was saying, and mean to them in my head.

Then I *Accidently* say something like. "I can't wait to get away from the half breed waste of water."

Let us just say, it ruined the day for my Pc and makes me crack up still
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I rp em just like they happened, it was a misfired think so your character fucked up and said what he was thinking. These are more fun then doing it on purpose 'cause you experiance the wonderful surprise also ;-).
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Rolling with it is often more fun.

However, if they want to OOC out of it then it's all good.  It is better to let pepole out of OOC mistakes than make them so nervous about OOC mistakes hurting them ICly that they avoid using Think at all.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Most of my thinks are like this:

I type: Say (grumbling to himself) Stop being such an asshole.

Then I go back and turn it into a think if my character just "wants" to say it, but doesn't.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

This has been insightful.  I agree with AC that while in my personal opinion, it is always fun to just play it out, you should always have the option of OOC'ing that it was a mistake and asking other players to ignore it.

The think command is after all there to enhance and develop your character, not be used against you, most of the time.

There were a few good examples of where it would be difficult for other players to look the other way. Blurting out you are a magicker, or that you hate the Highlord and can't wait to kill the templar sitting just to your left.  Again, I don't know what the right answer is there, asking people to ignore it will basically ruin a well kept secrete for them and accepting the consequences would most likely have you killed. No easy answer on those,  I was just curious to see what the bulk of you would do with things like that.

My PC's thinks are always about things that they would not say aloud but are running though their head. Who they Love, Hate, want to gut with their skinning knife at the bar. If they are feeling a little bubbly from the semi-rank slab of meat they found on the road and ate.

So mine are always pretty horrible when I say them. But always fun..
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

I detest OOC ignore that's.   I detest it.
Veteran Newbie

I don't mind somoene asking me to ignore something they mistyped by accident.  I have asked myself on occasion.  For me ignoring it in most instances is necessary as depending on the screwup, it may be totally OOC for thier PC to say that out loud or to the wrong person, whatever.  So I don't mind a mistake now and then. :)