The Misfired Think

Started by Qetesh, August 08, 2005, 10:08:40 AM

it's only happened once to me. I rolled with it and it was fantastic. Of course, it wasn't a life-threatening comment for my character, but it was a pretty devestating one. I think if it was life threatening for him, I might want to cover my ass with an OOC. I'd have to be in the situation to reall say what i'd do. That's a tough call to make sitting safely logged out.

heh I had a character use talk for like three lines while he thought he was psi'ing a tribemate and talking about the woman across the table from her. She started answering what I was saying in the psi and my character was totally convinced that she was reading his mind. <you know who you are you evil Kuraci  8) >

as a side note I had my character psi once when I ment to talk, and promptly passed out cause I was low on stun and waiting to get enough to psi a final time, I didn't
emote OOC: everyone ignore @ passing out he ment to type talk instead of psi so he shouldn't have passed out

heh I wonder what would have happened if I had  :twisted:
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

I've yet to misfire a think myself, though I've come close once or twice when it would have been very bad. I do, however, remember a time when a hidden thief emoted, rather than thought, their rather incriminating think. And no one flinched. Everyone kept up their conversations, stayed in the bar, no scans, OOCs or anything. I was very impressed how everyone handled the whole situation, just letting it roll off without interupting anything.

*applauds*
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "bloodfromstone"I've yet to misfire a think myself, though I've come close once or twice when it would have been very bad. I do, however, remember a time when a hidden thief emoted, rather than thought, their rather incriminating think. And no one flinched. Everyone kept up their conversations, stayed in the bar, no scans, OOCs or anything. I was very impressed how everyone handled the whole situation, just letting it roll off without interupting anything.

*applauds*

Yeah...that's a good way to handle it. I remember once when my PC hid away, then I dropped in an emote. Everyone stood up and scanned.
Quote from: Majikal on August 20, 2009, 05:53:09 PM

Running after Carru, catching them, then eating them while they are still breathing is a Red Fang's version of 'fast food'.

I tend to not RP with people that scan everytime they stand up, or enter a bar, or a shop. They just look really paranoid to me and I'd rather not get caught up in their cause of death.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Misfired psi... UGH. Bad, bad memories.

BAD.

So bad that I did not even get a proper death scene.  :(

Quote from: "Akaramu"Misfired psi... UGH. Bad, bad memories.

BAD.

No mantis head?  Wow that sucks.

I was thinking about this, and it really isn't that OOC to have a misfired think/psi. In RL, I sometimes accidentally say outloud what I was thinking and its been slightly awkward.

Personally, I would just go with the flow. I think that its selfish to ask them OOCly to forget something that could very well mean their death or the death of another. If someone asked that of me I would try my very hardest, but I wouldn't be happy.

Of course, I haven't had this happen IG yet. When I do it (and I'm sure I will eventually) and it ends up getting my character killed, I think I'll be sad.
..and the puppet explodes.

Quote from: "wizturbo"

BAD.

Mantis head, but no death scene.

Years ago, my super-uber-spy once mis-psied something like "I surely should not tell about death of X to my boss." to her boss. Really, it was great fun trying to explain I meant something totally different and being worried he understood what is going on. It would be much less fun giving up and OOCing it was a mistake - because this way I managed to make the boss think he misunderstood me.  :twisted:

I'd tend to say roll with the punches when it comes to mis-fired thinks.  Treat them like freudian slips.  They might get you killed sure, but so can a power surge at your house at an inopportune time.

Quote from: "Akaramu"

BAD.

Mantis head, but no death scene.

You misunderstood my sarcastic comment.  The mantis head *is* your death scene.  Just because you don't see the roleplay that leads to a PC's death doesn't mean it isn't there.  Might not be as pretty and cinematic as some may like, but this is Zalanthas not Hollywood.  Death comes swiftly and sometimes we never even know why.

Quote from: "JohnGalt"I'd tend to say roll with the punches when it comes to mis-fired thinks.  Treat them like freudian slips.  They might get you killed sure, but so can a power surge at your house at an inopportune time.

I agree that most of the time it is best to roll with it.  However, no one should ever feel compelled keep a mis-think out there.  Why?  Because if people are afraid of making mistakes (potentially disasterous mistakes) with think, then they are likely to not use the think command at all.  That would be a shame.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I have had one missed fired psi with only my short presence here, and I asked them to OOCly ignore it. But after reading through this thread, from now own I will just roll with it. It seems that you would have more fun rp'ing our your little mistake than simply just asking for them to ignore it.
staff member sends:
     "No problem. We'll just eat your brainz later

You misunderstood my sarcastic comment.  The mantis head *is* your death scene.  Just because you don't see the roleplay that leads to a PC's death doesn't mean it isn't there.  Might not be as pretty and cinematic as some may like, but this is Zalanthas not Hollywood.  Death comes swiftly and sometimes we never even know why.

You misunderstood me as well.  :wink:

But I wontnt go into it. Lets just drop it.

Had one the other night. Was hilariously funny, too.

"Oops. I said that with my outside voice, huh?"

I like playing PC's that make mistakes like real people.

Proxie
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

If someone didn't ignore my misfired think, I would be pissed off. Hopefully, I would know them personally so I could punch them in the face the next time I saw them.

QuoteI like playing PC's that make mistakes like real people.

And we (or at least I) love you for it. :)
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

You mis-target something because of keyword duplication?  Okay.

You mis-command and speak a think?  You screwed up, just like killing 'kill' instead of 'kiss' when greetings the templar.  Suffer the repurcussions, I say.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

It depends the mistake. If someone asks me to ignore something, I will. If someone doesn't ignore something that I have politely asked them to, I am going to get pissed. This may or may not affect play, but if it is at all realistic, you can bet the character's going to end up grumpy and pissy too. The attitude of not allowing someone to fix a mistake, especially an important one, is stupid and childish and a little vindictive. I woudl detest anyone with that attitude.

Personally, I usually go with it, but occasionally, if I deem it important to plot or play I'll ask for it to be ignored.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

See, I hate rewinding.  If you've screwed up and I've already responded...I'm already thinking like my character would in that situation.  It's hard to 'undo' things when people have already assimilated.  It's often better to just roll with it.  If it's secret information, it's already out...and like it or not, it will influence people, no matter how they try to let it not.  It is SO much simpler to grimace and bear the fact that you screwed up.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.