Blindfolds and Restraints

Started by Pariah, December 19, 2022, 08:46:45 AM

December 19, 2022, 08:46:45 AM Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 08:50:09 AM by Pariah
I think blindfolds should be a thing, for RP purposes as well as so I can practice blind fighting without staying out all night and hoping it's dark.

You could blindfold people and bring them to your boss.

Or

Blindfold yourself for training purposes and fight those critters.

Plus being able to tie someone's hands or legs for restraint purposes would lead to more RP and less just overt kill person to keep them from running.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

December 20, 2022, 03:55:03 AM #1 Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 04:12:09 AM by Inks
No. Too many twinky ideas. You can gain darkfighting in many normal situations not just pitch black.

It isn't a remotely hard skill to gain.

Why are 90% of the code discussions on the main page started by you? Trying to grind up gdb stats?

Quote from: Inks on December 20, 2022, 03:55:03 AM
No. Too many twinky ideas. You can gain darkfighting in many normal situations not just pitch black.

Why are 90% of the code discussions on the main page started by you? Trying to grind up gdb stats?
When I play I tend to be pretty hardcore, I'm an on or off player, and when I'm playing a role that actually gets me to that on switch.  I notice all sorts of goofy shit.

Some I throw in as requests, and some they fix or explain, others they straight deny and go, "This isn't worth our time." essentially and that's fine.

When I post on the forums it's normally to gauge interest in something before I waste the time formulating a huge request of "Can you do this?" type content.

I know the forum usage has dropped of a lot, because folks just discuss things in discord, I've lost track of times someone posted here and goes, "We talked about this on discord for a few days."  Well unfortunately I was a tool and lost my discord access, it's a work in progress to get it back so until then my only form of conversation with you like minded people playing this game is the forums.  I get it's like having a landline today and it's antiquated and really unused for these things, but it's what I got.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

I like the blindfold idea and not for the blind fighting but other icly reasons
I also say if someone is knocked out or subdued in some fashion we should be able to pack them on our mounts.
Just having fun.

Quote from: Wday on December 20, 2022, 08:40:33 AM
I like the blindfold idea and not for the blind fighting but other icly reasons
I also say if someone is knocked out or subdued in some fashion we should be able to pack them on our mounts.
Agreed, I always thought it was crazy I could get body pack body.

But I can't toss your unconscious ass on my mount.

Quote from: Inks on December 20, 2022, 03:55:03 AM

That you find it an easy skill to gain is not the question here. I'm less worried about the blind fighting skill as I am others this could lead to.

Don't worry. Nobody is coming for your Combat Skill trophy
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Well pass the skill part I can see a lot of fun role play with blindfolds and packing people on mounts.  I can see merchant houses cringing at the thought they now could be kidnapped code like.  I see raiders kidnapping fancy crafters to work their supplies and profits without knowing where they are to Way for help.

Trust me I know all this can be done now in way and is very fun.  Just it could be easier but then doing it all in code could be a nightmare for staff.
Just having fun.

Being able to tie someone up, blindfold them...would be great.

Yeah, you can try to KO someone by hitting them in the head (or legs) and hope for stun over damage, or you can subdue them and drag them along and hope an npc doesn't gank them.

Both of those are 'whoopsie' welcome to armageddon moments when you could totally drag the scenes out before killing them in the end..
Veteran Newbie

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Yes tying someone up would be cool. Not blindfolding to twink up.

Quote from: Inks on December 20, 2022, 04:25:15 PM
Yes tying someone up would be cool. Not blindfolding to twink up.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Blindfold wouldnt twink cause you have to wear it before combat and wouldnt see the target.  Wearing it in combat could not work meaning no blind fights and we all are happy.
Just having fun.

Quote from: Wday on December 21, 2022, 06:04:41 AM
Blindfold wouldnt twink cause you have to wear it before combat and wouldnt see the target.  Wearing it in combat could not work meaning no blind fights and we all are happy.

Incorrect. The target can still engage with you.

December 21, 2022, 08:41:58 AM #14 Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 08:48:30 AM by Pariah
This is why the forums are a great tool, all sorta of suggestions outside what I said.

What if you made blindfolds like bandages, get in combat and they rip and fall off?

Easily craftable from a scrap of cloth like a shitty bandage.

or cripple learning rate while blind folding.

Why is a good idea ruined merely because someone can abuse it to twink.  Twinks will find a way regardless. Don't you worry.

There is, in my opinion, no need to put under question, or seek nefarious reasons behind the motivation of someone posting a lot of discussions.  The person is passionate about the game. What's wrong with that?

I'm cool with any idea of disabling a person doesn't involve death, or unconsciousness.

There seems to be two schools of thought anytime an idea is brought up that may aid directly in skill gain.

1. No you twink, how dare you!

2. I can see how that would create roleplay opportunities.

It's black and white, unfortunately there aren't many that see the shades of grey between.

There is SOOOOO many things that could probably be easily added to the game, but the fear of twinkage is always a huge downside to overcome.

Your idea of "easily added" may differ from staff's, especially when they're focused on other quality of life things like Analyze, and crippling my next Mul role.

I think the point of Mansa's post was "Look how many times we've requested it, and see the responses". Breaking it into "yeah but twinks" and "but my RP" is very reductive and not considering the whole picture.

That said? Let me train while blind.

December 21, 2022, 10:42:59 AM #18 Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 10:52:12 AM by Pariah
Quote from: Riev on December 21, 2022, 10:21:18 AM
Your idea of "easily added" may differ from staff's, especially when they're focused on other quality of life things like Analyze, and crippling my next Mul role.

I think the point of Mansa's post was "Look how many times we've requested it, and see the responses". Breaking it into "yeah but twinks" and "but my RP" is very reductive and not considering the whole picture.

That said? Let me train while blind.
I'm aware, I started the most recent conversation that spurred the analyze change.

But if you look at everything as, "It was asked five years ago." then nothing will ever get brought up.  When a game has been around for this long, it's hard to find original ideas that nobody else has thought of, so you're always going to rehash something, some different way but ultimately asking for a similar result.

Sometimes it takes something like Miradus going (Paraphrasing) "Harshlands does crafting better than us." to get a person with the ability and desire to make changes.

I love Mansa as a reference, but do find that posting something like he does, where he just links a bunch of articles of people who asked for similar things before is in fact Reductive and Dismissive.

I'll be the first to admit that when I search the GDB I do the basest of basest searches, I'm not going five pages of posts back to find that one time someone mentioned a blindfold in some thread from X years ago.

Even with debate and disagreement here, it seems to be a very fine edge.  I can agree or disagree with you without calling you stupid, or finding some reason to backhanded insult your train of thought by shitting on the fact you used the words "easily".

Nearly every thing I see in release notes is good shit, I've never once said they are wasting their time time coding what they code, fixing what they fix.  But again, this is a discussion board, it's here so we can discuss thing.  Initially I was like, blind fighting is hard, let's recommend blindfolds, then after a few people spoke on it in this very thread I've altered my opinion on the blind fighting part of it.  That's the good thing about discussions, you find ideas and thoughts you never had.

Now my stance is, this would be fucking cool to be able to blindfold people to lead them somewhere, kidnap them, make sure they aren't ratting out where your secret hideout is and any ton of other roleplay reasons, fuck blind fighting honestly, I just think it would be nice to be able to make folks blind for all the above reasons.

This has ceased to become a discussion.

I really believe the Rp would out weigh the twink.   Yes twink will happen but also blind fighting is in the game.  So it is there to be used.  That falls on the player to really flesh out a reason he and a friend are blindfolding and whooping ass on each other. 
Just having fun.

Only takes one twink to ruin the game for a lot of other characters. Best off sticking to roleplaying and seeking out the tools already in game, in this case.

I, myself, applaud the discussions you've sparked up, Pariah.  Yes, many of them have been talked about before. But after 20 years, we are all the Q of the Zalanthan Continuum.

Doesn't mean they are pointless. And if a discussion sparks up someone's creativity into some kind of real change, that's just absolute gold.

To limit abilities or things in the game for ONLY the fear of potential twinkage is a disservice.

I watch people play this game daily who spam craft, spam spar, spam all sorts of shit and don't seem to understand there are timers.  Doesn't mean I think we should put a limit on how many times you can type craft or kill.

Quote from: Pariah on December 21, 2022, 09:48:07 PM
To limit abilities or things in the game for ONLY the fear of potential twinkage is a disservice.

I watch people play this game daily who spam craft, spam spar, spam all sorts of shit and don't seem to understand there are timers.  Doesn't mean I think we should put a limit on how many times you can type craft or kill.

There may be a host of reasons staff have decided not to do this.

My two cents... plus about a quarter or a half dollar? There is no reason not to RP this if you want to. If it "feels weird to RP it", I think we need to discuss what a roleplaying game might be, and the idea of a suspension of disbelief.

If you codedly want to be blind, in a MUD with a PvP combat code base... you need to accept that there are coded reasons why it may not be a good idea. And part of that is because it gives these "twinks" an easier time to omgwtfbbq you out of mid-air.