Pin/Hogtie

Started by Karieith, November 30, 2011, 12:35:15 PM

Branches off Subdue. Allows you to further restrain a subdued opponent and makes them much like a body, but does not kill the character. So they can be lifted, packed onto an animal, etc?

Has a very long cool down, long enough for the player to spam flee like 7 times?

Careful what you wish for

On a semi-related note, I'd also like to see working blindfolds. Can only be placed on subdued people (or people with nosave_subdue on), or on yourself.

Subduing someone and having enough control to blindfold or tie them up are two different things. Knocking someone out works kist fine to accomplish either of these.

You can also roleplay tying someone up once subdued, and see if they go along with it, I suppose.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

It would be someone else who puts the blindfold on, unless the target is unconscious, i.e. there are three PCs. Amos, Malik, and Talia. Talia subdues Amos, Malik blindfolds Amos.

The same principle would work for tying someone up (it would require a third PC, or for the target to be unconscious).

I can think of other uses for blindfolds as well. Don't really care one way or another about hogtie but I think blindfolds could make possible a lot of different things.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

I don't know about hog-tie (as I guess I associate that with fancy rope work and such) 

My thought here is subdue makes me think of someone just being either more strong or simply grabbing someone around the waist or where ever -- and it's that "anyone can see they're being held against their will" that sends off crime_flag.  What I'd like to see in game is more like where the bad guy slips a knife to the back of the victim and they both "calmly walk down the street, don't make a scene" type thing.   

SO, I could see "pin" as a branch off skill.  Mostly, it would involve the subduer knowing just how to hold a wrist or shoulder or something in such a way that A) doesn't draw a lot of attention to what's going on and B) can administer a bit of pain should the victim be somewhat uncooperative.

That would mean the crimeflag may not automatically go off  AND the subdued person would loose a lot of drop in endurance or whatever to drive down their ability to flee.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

November 30, 2011, 02:38:05 PM #8 Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:01:02 PM by Desertman
Quote from: Wolfsong on November 30, 2011, 02:00:51 PM
You can also roleplay tying someone up once subdued, and see if they go along with it, I suppose.

I knocked someone out once and roleplayed tieing them up with a rope I had.

After waking up, I'm not even kidding, they did this...

The funny-man, his ankles bound together and his hands tied behind his back suddenly sits up and hops to his feet.

The funny-man walks south, hopping along as fast as he can with his feet tied together and his hands behind his back.

I'm not even kidding. It happened.

(I didn't plan on killing them, I had every intention of releasing them, so I wasn't mad about the sillyness of it all. It was however very good for a laugh.)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Can we please revisit the necksnap code?
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on November 30, 2011, 04:28:54 PM

Aren't you already at a major disadvantage when you're subdued?

Granted, I wouldn't mind an unarmed attack killing someone subdued.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: Malifaxis on November 30, 2011, 04:28:54 PM

> hogtie amos
You attempt to hogtie the tall, muscular man, but only succeed in entangling yourself!

> flee self
You are bound tightly by ropes.

> flee self
You are bound tightly by ropes.

The tall, muscular man frowns hard at you.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I think lassoing should be a skill that branches off of subdue, and requires you to be holding a rope. Hogtie should branch off lassoing, or maybe it's just something in lassoing code. I also think that lassoing, along with ride, should be the skill that determines whether or not you can tame a mount.

Lasso and hogtie would almost certainly be ranger skills, and therefore wouldn't branch from subdue.  Maybe from charge or trample...but then the d-elves would be pissy about it, so maybe from throw instead.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

It should just branch from throw and let my warrior be a cowboy dammnit

Lets be honest, it's the aides who would get the most good use out of hogtie.  Maybe it could branch from whatever skill whips use?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

i think you are looking for the term bind. Bind could be done with many things and in different fashions and accomplish what you want. It also sounds less like a cowboy.
Love's the only war worth dying for.
Build me up to knock me down, I'm all yours.

binding helpless people with rope or the like is something I would really appreciate in the game.

Maybe allow sleeping characters an unlikely save against the initial subdue required to allow binding in order to have it balanced, though no save would be given to those who have been knocked out as they could not wake and resist.
If I knock someone out I could easily kill them, so binding the knocked out party would not be codedly unfair to them in anyway as they may otherwise just be killed in the event I want to give an epic monologue or something in the interests of good RP. It would stop them jumping up and superprostabbing me while I try to improve the RP of the whole affair since I can't really be subdueing them while I pace back and forth laughing..

To those who would suggest locking them in a room and stripping them of all of their things.. they could easily pickpocket some form of weaponry from me or, depending on the characters in question, could just punch me till I'm cold.

I use this as an example of the RP it would permit but all in all, bind would be a nice feature as it makes sense to be able to do and I imagine would fit in well with the game world.. kidnapping people, roughing them up a bit and leaving them tied up for their chums to find for one reason or another. That kind of thing.
Quote from: boog
I'm still trying to figure out how all that led to Symphony, naked, squatting in a towel on a busy highway to talk to a therapist