Shit Happens

Started by Olgaris, February 18, 2009, 04:54:44 PM

I still haven't seen a single piece of poop.

What gives?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 19, 2009, 01:09:21 AM
I still haven't seen a single piece of poop.

What gives?

Huh, where do you play? I see poop everywhere, including outside the cities.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: tortall on February 19, 2009, 01:03:14 AM
So, can we get a reboot soon to fix the crazy pooping system, or are clannies allowed to use clan money to stable/unstable them to fix?

Seriously, spent the last 30 min running from the stables to the dung pile(where I didn't get paid 'cause I can't figure out how), and back. There's always 10+ piles of dung.  :'(

It... -is- a stable.

Hire a stablehand, pay him nothing, and allow him to keep all the profits from his shoveling.

Okay...so...wtf is the syntax to sell this shit?

February 19, 2009, 01:49:14 AM #104 Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:51:06 AM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: Olgaris on February 18, 2009, 11:33:01 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on February 18, 2009, 11:08:37 PM
Could a compost crate objected be created and sold through appropriate merchants in each of the city states, or just loaded in clan stables?
Doesn't seem worth a mastercrafting projects since there would ICly definitely be something like this around.

Get dung (after shoveling it into a pile)
put dung crate (tossing it over his shoulder)

You could use... a chest?

You could; it was just a thought to help with immersion.
IRL compost requires an ample supply of oxygen.  It would also rot a wood, bone, or chitin chest without proper circulation and spoil the poop. (yes, you can spoil poop)

A "crate" would work well though.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

A small clump 'shrooms' is here growing atop a large pile of shit.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

So, can we get a reboot soon to fix the crazy pooping system, or are clannies allowed to use clan money to stable/unstable them to fix?

Seriously, spent the last 30 min running from the stables to the dung pile(where I didn't get paid 'cause I can't figure out how), and back. There's always 10+ piles of dung.  :'(

Relax maybe? Or is your OCD that intense?
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Quote from: Synthesis on February 19, 2009, 01:40:36 AM

offer
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.

Quote from: Olgaris on February 19, 2009, 02:00:26 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on February 19, 2009, 01:40:36 AM

offer

You see no trader here with whom to barter.

Quote from: Olgaris on February 19, 2009, 01:59:17 AM

Relax maybe? Or is your OCD that intense?

.... It really is. :D

~is scared it is going to grow and take over the Known World~
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

OK, I think the shit is a good thing, but I think my beetle would die with the amount of poop it's dropping. It shits three times an hour. My dogs go out twice a day max. It's just too much. Can we have this reduced so that they shit maybe once an IC day?

I mean, I love that my mount is squeezing out a turd every once and a while, but, it's just way, way too much.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

You don't have to clean it up (if I'm not mistaken). Just leave it there. That's perfectly normal in a archaic society ;) Though 3 times an hour is a bit excessive, especially since they don't eat much.

Lol, I can imagine every clan having shit duty from now on.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: sarahjc on February 19, 2009, 02:14:41 AMI mean, I love that my mount is squeezing out a turd every once and a while, but, it's just way, way too much.

Not to mention, this shit-shoveling really should be virtual in a lot of cases, since there are few PCs who are going to want to make a long-term living shoveling shit, especially if it's piled high due to a lack of um.. non-virtual stablehands. So, reducing the quantity to account somewhat for the virtual folk going around scooping virtual shit seems like a good idea to me.

Plus this kinda creates an interesting set of non-IC, code-clashing-with-reality problems in certain cases.. I guess workarounds can be found. Those I'll have to email in about, since they're too specific for the boards. Not that I don't appreciate work being done, I'm just not sure why putting this shit in the game was chosen over all the other options out there.

Increased opportunities for giggly schoolboy turd jokes?

Quote from: FantasyWriter on February 19, 2009, 01:52:56 AM
A small clump 'shrooms' is here growing atop a large pile of shit.

Just as tasty as those green tablets...

I see a new recreational drug popping up IG possibly.

Yet another way in which Allanak shows its innovation to the mudding world.   ;)

Interesting idea.  I would suggest the animals crap once an IC day and that the poop disintigrates in a couple of days, perhaps from a fresh pile to older - help us track movements.

I don't know if this is coded.  I haven't been in game since the change.

Cool idea, though.

Quote from: a strange shadow on February 19, 2009, 02:30:17 AM
Quote from: sarahjc on February 19, 2009, 02:14:41 AMI mean, I love that my mount is squeezing out a turd every once and a while, but, it's just way, way too much.

Not to mention, this shit-shoveling really should be virtual in a lot of cases, since there are few PCs who are going to want to make a long-term living shoveling shit, especially if it's piled high due to a lack of um.. non-virtual stablehands. So, reducing the quantity to account somewhat for the virtual folk going around scooping virtual shit seems like a good idea to me.

Plus this kinda creates an interesting set of non-IC, code-clashing-with-reality problems in certain cases.. I guess workarounds can be found. Those I'll have to email in about, since they're too specific for the boards. Not that I don't appreciate work being done, I'm just not sure why putting this shit in the game was chosen over all the other options out there.

Increased opportunities for giggly schoolboy turd jokes?

If anything odd happens e-mail olgaris@armageddon.org with the details, please.

As far as why it was chosen, was that people were crying out that Allanak was getting the shaft as far as coded jobs that didn't take any coded skills. There was a thread talking about how much people wanted to be dung-sweepers (http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,34410.0.html), and there was a script implemented (dung_buyer) but unused because poop never showed up.

If you'd like to give me a list of things that I should have done instead of this, using a script rather than hard coding (I am not a coder) then I suppose I'd accept that in an e-mail as well.

While implementing this I took suggestions as to how often mounts should poop amongst the staff. The consensus was once an hour. I thought it was a little frequent, but went with it. Apparently they meant once a REAL hour, not IC hour. Mounts should now poop about once a REAL hour.

What can I say? Shit happens.

the shit fiasco

olgaris sets animals to poop once ever ten minutes, instead of once every hour.

i think this story deserves a place in the armageddon blog
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: DustMight on February 19, 2009, 02:38:59 AM
Yet another way in which Allanak shows its innovation to the mudding world.   ;)

Interesting idea.  I would suggest the animals crap once an IC day and that the poop disintigrates in a couple of days, perhaps from a fresh pile to older - help us track movements.

Cool idea, though.

I wouldn't like this. It would make players just ignore poop completely, might not even have implemented if this is put in. No need for stablehands if the poop just disappears.

February 19, 2009, 03:22:28 AM #120 Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:24:12 AM by a strange shadow
Quote from: Olgaris on February 19, 2009, 02:44:44 AMIf you'd like to give me a list of things that I should have done instead of this, using a script rather than hard coding (I am not a coder) then I suppose I'd accept that in an e-mail as well.

Aw, Olgaris. I didn't mean to shit on your work. It just seemed like way, way overkill, until you explained the once-per-hour confusion, and I wasn't really sure that covering the world in shit was worth the gain.. now it seems more reasonable.

Also, I am selfish and would love to see things like grain threshing for flour, a butcher shop (take your corpse, they cut it up for a price), flax harvesting, mount breeding, minor expanses to make farming or herb-growing more viable, PC-accessible fruit orchards (Zalanthas style; watch out for those vishith/ginka), and..... new, improved gambling scripts. ;)

I will email in sometime tomorrow with my other turdy concerns.

Let yesterday be known as the Day of Great Diarhea!

I like the whole idea. Makes the world a little more realistic, once it gets tweaked a bit. Really, all these innovations are good additions, and we should be patient while the 'shit rate' gets adjusted. It'll work itself out of our system sooner or later.

;D
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: Vessol on February 19, 2009, 03:19:43 AM
Quote from: DustMight on February 19, 2009, 02:38:59 AM

Cool idea, though.

I wouldn't like this. It would make players just ignore poop completely, might not even have implemented if this is put in. No need for stablehands if the poop just disappears.

I don't think that would be the case.  I mean, IRL, shit really does decay (due to roaches and the sort, and lets face it, if you hang around the Gaj long enough, you KNOW there are roaches).  And you can track beasties based upon how old their shit is, just because you don't see that in the action film involving the hunter, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

:-\  This is what people could think of to make quick coin???
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Very atmospheric.  I like it.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.