Bringing animals into town.

Started by Kill4Free, August 05, 2004, 05:26:56 PM

Is to carry a raptor that is unconscious into town, or will the guards kill it?  As I think it would make a good guard for my apartement, as I can knock it out whenever I want to enter, but a thief is unlikely to be as skilled.
May God have mercy on my foes, because I wont.

You can always wish up to be assisted in transportation somehow.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

what about all that raptor poo...
And what will he eat for dinner?
Won't he trash up the place?

*ponder*
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

That post made me laugh for a variety of reasons... but before I answer your question, let's look at the proposed scenario.

You want to bring a vicious predator into the city to guard your apartment.  Your premise has a few problems with it.  First, you are assuming that the raptor is going to stay put when it wakes up.  Realistically, that raptor would get up and go looking for lunch.  In a city, it wouldn't have to look very long to find a tasty humanoid.  Mm, humanoid.  But I digress.  Second, you've left out the vNPCs - all the virtual people who live in that apartment block who are likely to run screaming to the nearest city guard if they find a raptor in their apartment building.  And last, you do have to somehow transport said raptor into town, past the gates, where there are generally at least a few soldiers.  Now... maybe you could talk/bribe your way past said soldiers with a live (but unconscious) raptor in tow, but it's equally or more likely that they'd simply saw through the raptor's neck and save themselves the tedious effort of having to discuss the issue.

Now, that doesn't provide a direct answer to your question, but instead tells you what your character would likely expect.  The direct answer is that in this case, what will really happen is exactly what you would realistically expect to happen.  The soldiers treat unconscious raptors being dragged in by citizens in exactly the same way they treat conscious and hungry raptors at the city gates, in other words.

If you find that still doesn't answer your question, I suggest trying it out... just expect pseudo-realistic consequences to your actions.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I get the feeling, kill4free, that you kinda look at your character from a 3rd person point of view.  You know, diablo-esque.

Try to get into his shoes more, see from his eyes, see the people he walks past on the street, the VNPCS, i'm talking about. That's when it gets really fun. You're an actor on a stage, not the player of a RPG game.

I mean, if you want to tame a raptor, alright . . .that's an alright, though odd, goal for your character. But as JGG pointed out, there's a lot more to it than just knocking it unconcious.

I know, I didnt explain it that well :P

But as to the problems brought up, I would lock my door, and these raptors arent smarter then the raptors in jurassic park.  I am a hunter, and I find plenty of shank and loin meat whick is almost useless for me, but good food for the raptor.  I can afford to feed it, and the only way he would get out, is if a thief broke into my place to steal, and the raptor would track him down, until the raptor was most likely killed by guards.  But a thief braking into my apartment would be part of the guards responsibility anyway.
As for training a raptor,  Every time he attacked me, I would knock him out,  and every time I brought in a friend, and he attacked him, I could feed it.
The only real problem, would be if the guards would allow me to bring an unconscious one in, ICly I could hide it under some sheets, and claim it was a dead body or something like that.

The vNPC's might pose a problem, but if it was explained to them, how the raptor would make their apartment more secure, as there would be no real way for a thief to know which door the raptor was behind, it would be easiest to just avoid the building with a guard raptor, hidden, from the thief's point of view, behind a random door.

HAHAH

Oh this would be so fucking cool.

Can you imagine the look on a thief's face?

Look, kill4free, do this. Write an email to the mud account with a detailed explanantion of what you want and how you plan to do it. Ask them to reply to you with any suggestions. If they give you the go ahead, ask them when would be a good time for them to work with you on it, assuming you'll need immortal help (or immortal complication).

Goodluck!

mwahaha.

It would be pretty funny, imagining what a burglar would be like

- pick lock
You succeed and the door is now unlocked.
- Open door
Ok
- Enter room
You enter a medium sized room...
On the floor you see
Several long gracefully curved horns
A few piles of lengths of bone
Several light brown pelts
Several rugged red hides
A sand raptor
A few curved beaks
Several lengths of sinew

And you can probably figure out what happens from there :P

That does not mean said raptor would not attack you the next time you go into your apartment.  Think about it: wild animals do not like being caged.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Well, it's not the best method of training.

However, sled dogs that were 'wild' and didn't mind attacking their masters -were- training just by beating them with a club until they stopped, whenever they attacked.  They learned, sooner or later, and became submissive.

I'm not saying it can work on Zalanthas, with a raptor.  But he can at least try the idea.

Good luck to you, Kill4Free.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

The raptor most likely would attack me, but I would train it, aka, Kick its butt with bludgeoning weapons, everytime I went in, until either the raptor was uncounsious, or until he eventually learns to not attack me (When Im ready, as I would never sleep im my apartment, I would always have to be wary)

And I could bring in special treats for it, by hauling gurth in, since when they are in the shell the guards ignore it.

...that still doesn't explain how you will bring said raptor all the way through the city-state and into your quaint little abode, my man.  Because I can tell you right now (and don't tell no one or else the IC Fascists may come arrest me), but you won't be able to just KO a fuckin' raptor, subdue him, then drag his ass merrily on past the NPC soldiers.  That's for damn sure.  Something like this requires staff intervention to accomplish because code-wise it just won't work (and even if it were -- which it ain't -- whatever method you're using isn't likely feasible).

Pantoufle likes to make me feel long-winded.  *sniff*
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

LOL!  Sorry, I think this is a really funny idea.

QuoteThink about it: wild animals do not like being caged.
They also don't like being beat over the head several times a day.

Besides, what would happen if you were sleeping there one night and it woke up before you did?  Can you REALLY defend yourself from a raptor while sleeping?  :wink:

As I said at the very top, I asked if the guards ignore it, or not.  As they dont, obviously any way I could it in could make the guards kill it, but ICly I could, say, put it on the back of a kank, and put packs and such on top of it, or I could bring it in, in a night so dark, that you cant see anything (and since Im a ranger, I wouldnt get lost in the dark) Or in a sandstorm.

Obviously I wouldnt sleep, unless there was another room in the apartment, with a door :P  Since Im a ranger, I rest/sleep outside most of the time, and lizards (like the raptor) Can go for weeks, without food or water, as when they dont move, they dont really use energy of any kind.

Tembo are large enough to ride as mounts.  In fact there's some tribe of sexy amazon women out there in the north that ride tembo for a living.  I'm serious!

But anyway.  Dude.  For real, you can't just strap a tembo on your kank and ride on through, concealed underneath umpteen bags or not.  That's like packing a horse on a horse and pretending no one can see it on account of the fact you threw a bag on its head.

Please try again.   :lol:

> read Guide tembo

The vicious tembo beast of Tuluk is so stupid, it thinks that if you can't see it, it can't see you.

> A vicious tembo is here.

> wear towel over head
Ok.
You can't see a thing!

> A vicious tembo peers around suspiciously, snuffling the air a few times before wandering off looking vaguely disgruntled.

I did say how I would, in a sandstorm or a dark night, I wouldnt be seen.

I said raptor, a tembo is obviously too large to hide easily.

Seriously, though, if you want to do it, just do it.

Wish up asking if the guards will ignore you bringing in a subdued beast (I actually don't know if they are coded to look for such things or not, though).  Wait a bit, then try.

Sure, I will do that, as soon as I bought an apartment, the thing holding me back before was lack of security, but I will try it now, itll be worth it :)

Oh shit, you did say raptor.  My bad.

Do you think ANYONE would try this in real life?
Back from a long retirement

Ever heard of a guard dog, dude :P

Quote from: "Kill4Free"Ever heard of a guard dog, dude :P

Guard dogs are trained animals.

Lots are only loyal to the master, they attack everything else.  And if you read everything, I did plan to train the raptor.

kill4free, i reccomend talking to the immortals on this one.

EMAIL the mud account! Don't listen to these chumps. Talk to the bosses, they'll work with ya if you have everything reasoned out and IC.

Itll take a while to get everything set up, and sorted out, before I am ready.  But I will take your advice and contact the imms.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"
Quote from: "Kill4Free"Ever heard of a guard dog, dude :P

Guard dogs are trained animals.

Right.  So he wants to be the one who trains the raptor.  It's a crude method of training that may or may not work.  I think it's silly to say it's impossible.

It depends on whether raptors are intelligent enough to learn from it's mistakes.  If it is, then after a few good beatings, it will become hesitant, and after a few more, it will learn -not- to attack that guy who will club it into submission.

Really, I think this thread should be locked, and the discussion should continue between the mud account and Kill4Free.  Because I can already hear the hostile undertones of "Noob Twink!"
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Since raptors can track a character miles in, that must mean the have fairly creative following abilities, and that implies intelligence.

Well, it denotes more of a predatorial instinct and strong tracking capabilities, either by smell, sight, sound, or touch.

It's intelligence is how well it processes these thoughts and danger to itself.  Judging by the fact that it will thoughtlessly attack a larger group of humanoids, and fight there until it dies...it can go either way.

Considering that almost any creature in real life, save possibly ants, and such, have enough intelligence to be trained to at least that extent, I suppose a raptor will be smart enough to learn as well.  Have you ever seen jurassic park!

Hehe, some real proof, is that sunbacks can be used as mounts, and are very closely related to raptors.  Also that raptors are pack animals, which implies that they can communicate to a certain degree with other raptors, and communication generally (but not always) implies a basic intelligence, and denotes a certain degree of learning.

I think this is great idea.

If it works, there's a new and possibly bizarre little thing in the game.  The resultant business could skyrocket or fall like legless H-G because the idea of a tame raptor is still freaky.

If it fails, then there's the great tale of the fool who tried to tame a raptor.
 wish I was witty enough to have something here.  Alas.

Quote from: "Kill4Free"Considering that almost any creature in real life, save possibly ants, and such, have enough intelligence to be trained to at least that extent, I suppose a raptor will be smart enough to learn as well.  Have you ever seen jurassic park!

Hehe, some real proof, is that sunbacks can be used as mounts, and are very closely related to raptors.  Also that raptors are pack animals, which implies that they can communicate to a certain degree with other raptors, and communication generally (but not always) implies a basic intelligence, and denotes a certain degree of learning.

This guy's done his homework.

Best of luck, kill4free! Don't let us know how it turns out, at least on the forums, anyway!

WTF, HAVENT YOU PEOPLE HEARD OF DRUG LORDS GETTING LIONS AND TIGERS AND CRAP TO GUARD THEIR WAREHOUSES, EVEN IN FKING AMERICA?

There was a freaking story on the news not a long time ago about someone in like new york having a tiger guard their appt, they were drug sellers.

If you do not believe it would be possible to sneak a unconcious raptor into town, you are not very bright.  Put a towl over it, wait for night/sandstorm, drag it in on a cart or kank.  Easy.

1.  Chill.

2.  You're underestimating the search of the guards at the gates.  If they can find a grain of spice in your pack, they can probably find a raptor under a towel on a cart.

3.  We aren't saying it's impossible.  We're offering feedback on our thoughts and ideas, and pooling them all together to discuss.

Read a little more carefully, please, anonymous kank.

I am really beginning to dislike anonymous posting.

Yeah, chill out dude, this is just a discussion.  And the guards do search well,  I guess I will have to wait till they cant see me to make it in first.

Hmm a business, thats not a bad idea, if the Imm's could put some extra code in,  allowing something like this to be possible on a regular basis (for rich nobles and merchants) then it would be pretty cool :)

Quote from: "Pantoufle"Something like this requires staff intervention

1. Knock out Raptor.
2. Drag Raptor into wagon.
3. Drive wagon to Apartment Building.
4. Knock out Raptor again.
5. Drag into apartment.
6. Leave.
7. Lock door.
8. Hide.
9. Wait for thieves.
10. Profit.

Should he INFORM the staff of his doomed project? Yes.

Does he require the staff to actually DO anything to make it happen? No.

I think the whole concept is ridiculous myself, but as long as he posts the results for our collective entertainment, I support him 100%.

Please continue your discussion.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

You saddle up the kank, kill three sons of bitches and wear their skulls as halberds, then you charge into the gate.

Guard 1 says "Yeah, I totally kept that guys backpack"
Guard 2 says "Hah, man thats so not cool.  Pretty funny though"
Guard 1 says "I can use the sid, hows Marsha?"
Guard 2 says "Shes doin great, Phil.  Shes coming along real good, should have our baby anytime now.  I wish I was back with her instead of on duty"
Guard 1 says "Yeah, but someone has to pay the rent."
Guard 3 days "OMFG WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!?"

THEN YOU BUST IN THROUG THE GATE AND FUCKING GUT GUARD 2 AND KILL GUARD 3 AND 4 AND SOME LITTLE KID WHO WAS PRETEND PLAYING TO BE A GUARD

Guard 1 kneels down beside Guard 2 and, in shock, tries to stuff his guts back inside of him.
Guard 2 shouts "STOP ARGHHHHHH!!!! AREEGFH *sputter* ARRGHGH!!"
Guard 2 says "Just... tell... Marsha... I love her..."
Guard 1 " I will man!  I will!"

Then you cut off Guard 1's head because he wasn't looking.
Then you go into town and get like 5 prostitutes.
Then you lock them in your appt with the raptor
RAPTORS NEED FOOD TOO

Funny.

Haha, I like those steps :P  But I dont intend to hide and wait for a thief, that would sort of defeat the purpose of having a trained raptor.  But a thief, would most likely be unarmged, and very bad at combat, and therefore be unlikely to survive more then a few hits.  And at the least, he learns his lesson.

Quote from: "Kill4Free"I know, I didnt explain it that well :P

But as to the problems brought up, I would lock my door, and these raptors arent smarter then the raptors in jurassic park.  I am a hunter, and I find plenty of shank and loin meat whick is almost useless for me, but good food for the raptor.  I can afford to feed it, and the only way he would get out, is if a thief broke into my place to steal, and the raptor would track him down, until the raptor was most likely killed by guards.  But a thief braking into my apartment would be part of the guards responsibility anyway.
As for training a raptor,  Every time he attacked me, I would knock him out,  and every time I brought in a friend, and he attacked him, I could feed it.
The only real problem, would be if the guards would allow me to bring an unconscious one in, ICly I could hide it under some sheets, and claim it was a dead body or something like that.

ROFLROFL....

If your character would do that, fucking go for it. Thats so amazingly hilarious.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

QuoteBut a thief, would most likely be unarmged, and very bad at combat

ROFL! Not that bad... Anyone who knows to swing can last long to flee from a raptor to a guard; I believe. Then I'm sure raptor won't be able to explain the guard that he's just pursuing some food which entered into the master's home.
I liked the idea. Nobody may claim n00bs can't have good ideas.. Err.. I will tell it. I had a dwarf who had the focus of killing all the fire ants in Zalanthas. I just played my role. Succeeded for long then died. I always felt the invisible help of the imms and; BINGO! You know the result.

Note: Err.. Maybe it wasn't my char's success... But I like believing that it's MY success.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

The help file says that thieves are the worst class at fighting.  But you are probably right, they will get away, but if I could somehow make the door close after a person goes throw or something, so the raptor cant follow.  Or train the raptor to stay in the room (that wont be easy at all though)  At least my possessions will be relatively safe.

One thing to keep in mind, there should be windows in your apartment...and the raptor has no reason to not simply jump out and go killing in the streets below.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Windows arent too hard to block, a few planks of wood would do the trick.  Besides the raptor might learn to enjoy his time there after a while, free food, no threats, I can see how he would come to like it.

I'm not sure about the north, but in the south, most 'windows' are actually narrow slits or small holes.  I always assumed it was the same in the north, but I actually think I'm probably wrong, now that I think about it.

Okay, so now you've blocked the windows with a carnivore that's leaving parts of his food (which will start to rot) as well as his shit'n'piss all over the apartment...and there's NO ventilation?

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Now that I think about it, it is the same in the north as well, save the main taverns, they have massive stained glass windows.

So it has IC consequences, Spawnloser.  It can still be done.  I don't see what your big gripe is.

Once again, I think the thread should lockdown and this continue as a private discussion between kill4free and the immortals, since -we- have -no- say in what can and can't be done in instances like these.

Rofl@spawnloser
Seriously, if you close all your windows, will you sufficate in your sleep :P

And obviously I will have to clean up after him, I wouldnt want my stock ruined.  But that is IC complications, and also very easily handled ICly.

Quote from: "Armaddict"So it has IC consequences, Spawnloser.  It can still be done.  I don't see what your big gripe is.

I don't think it could be done the way he's suggesting.

And most of the IC consequences would require an immortal to create, therefore I don't think he should do it.

*sigh*

This is why I keep saying -we- should shut up, and -he- should speak with the immortals about it.

The complications dont HAVE to be made, they are like vNPC's and can be handled by just emoting, sweeps the floor, or something and wait a few minutes.

The only real complication that would involve a Imm, is to smuggle him into my apartment (that is if the guards can still see in pure darkness, or a sandstorm), and, possibly to make him not attack me after he has been "trained".

Yo, Armaddict, I just voiced some possible difficulties so calm down.  If you think we should stop discussing the topic, stop responding.

The Sap&Subdue method has some problems. For example, while you are subduing something your defense is low, so if something else attacks you then you will be in trouble -- you will have to release the raptor and draw your weapon before you even start defending yourself.

If you want to get a dangerous animal past the gates you can do it if you put the animal in a wagon or a cage.  Large cages are not generally availble in shops, but you might be able to special order one.  A cage would also allow you to actually live in your apartment, as you could put the raptor in the cage when you are at home which would allow you to sleep or entertain guests in safety.

You might want to reconsider your training program.  If you manage to teach the raptor not to attack you then it might generalize that training to include all humanoids.  So when that thief comes to steal your furnature, the raptor will just cower in the corner until he goes away.

Training wild animals works better if you start with a young animal.  You might have better luck if you start with a raptor egg rather than an adult raptor.

Just a thought.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

You guys are so gullible...

This is all just a scheme to make burglars paranoid.

Flippin' IDIOTS!

Hmm, cage, that would solve a lot of problems.  I would release him when I leave the room, and when I get back, I can smack him, then put him into the cage :).

Uh... what if your raptor tears your apartment all up and breaks down the door?

That would suck.

Oh man, that one takes the biscuit.   I'm going to suicide my character and special app to be this guy's guard raptor.

Have fun emoting out wrecking his house and idling in his locked room.

Maybe you can kill him, though.

Ill give you lots of meat!

Be aware that local law enforcement (and your landlord) will probably hold YOU responsible for any damage done by an animal you bring into the city.  So if a thief breaks into your apartment, releasing the raptor, and then runs away your raptor may wander out of your apartment and kill random citizens.  Most Templars will consider you responsible for those deaths, just as though you murdered them yourself.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

In my personal experience, Immortals LOVE an excuse to cover your character's room in shit, piss, torn objects, and chewed up wicker chairs. And it was some of the most hilariously fun times I have ever had playing Armag.

So just be willing to suffer the realistic consequences.

Nothing is impossible, but plenty is implausible. Think like your character would and you should be okay. Think like someone going "ooh, I want a pet <entertypeofanimalhere> to snuggle and love and hug" without thinking of the realistic consequences, and you'll probably suffer for it.

Unless you are going to tether the raptor and muzzle it I really think this is an unrealistic idea.  The whole notion of 'oh I can just knock it out every day' is silly and based on a code-first view of the game.

Or not.  It's called training it.