Bringing animals into town.

Started by Kill4Free, August 05, 2004, 05:26:56 PM

Is to carry a raptor that is unconscious into town, or will the guards kill it?  As I think it would make a good guard for my apartement, as I can knock it out whenever I want to enter, but a thief is unlikely to be as skilled.
May God have mercy on my foes, because I wont.

You can always wish up to be assisted in transportation somehow.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

what about all that raptor poo...
And what will he eat for dinner?
Won't he trash up the place?

*ponder*
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

That post made me laugh for a variety of reasons... but before I answer your question, let's look at the proposed scenario.

You want to bring a vicious predator into the city to guard your apartment.  Your premise has a few problems with it.  First, you are assuming that the raptor is going to stay put when it wakes up.  Realistically, that raptor would get up and go looking for lunch.  In a city, it wouldn't have to look very long to find a tasty humanoid.  Mm, humanoid.  But I digress.  Second, you've left out the vNPCs - all the virtual people who live in that apartment block who are likely to run screaming to the nearest city guard if they find a raptor in their apartment building.  And last, you do have to somehow transport said raptor into town, past the gates, where there are generally at least a few soldiers.  Now... maybe you could talk/bribe your way past said soldiers with a live (but unconscious) raptor in tow, but it's equally or more likely that they'd simply saw through the raptor's neck and save themselves the tedious effort of having to discuss the issue.

Now, that doesn't provide a direct answer to your question, but instead tells you what your character would likely expect.  The direct answer is that in this case, what will really happen is exactly what you would realistically expect to happen.  The soldiers treat unconscious raptors being dragged in by citizens in exactly the same way they treat conscious and hungry raptors at the city gates, in other words.

If you find that still doesn't answer your question, I suggest trying it out... just expect pseudo-realistic consequences to your actions.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I get the feeling, kill4free, that you kinda look at your character from a 3rd person point of view.  You know, diablo-esque.

Try to get into his shoes more, see from his eyes, see the people he walks past on the street, the VNPCS, i'm talking about. That's when it gets really fun. You're an actor on a stage, not the player of a RPG game.

I mean, if you want to tame a raptor, alright . . .that's an alright, though odd, goal for your character. But as JGG pointed out, there's a lot more to it than just knocking it unconcious.

I know, I didnt explain it that well :P

But as to the problems brought up, I would lock my door, and these raptors arent smarter then the raptors in jurassic park.  I am a hunter, and I find plenty of shank and loin meat whick is almost useless for me, but good food for the raptor.  I can afford to feed it, and the only way he would get out, is if a thief broke into my place to steal, and the raptor would track him down, until the raptor was most likely killed by guards.  But a thief braking into my apartment would be part of the guards responsibility anyway.
As for training a raptor,  Every time he attacked me, I would knock him out,  and every time I brought in a friend, and he attacked him, I could feed it.
The only real problem, would be if the guards would allow me to bring an unconscious one in, ICly I could hide it under some sheets, and claim it was a dead body or something like that.

The vNPC's might pose a problem, but if it was explained to them, how the raptor would make their apartment more secure, as there would be no real way for a thief to know which door the raptor was behind, it would be easiest to just avoid the building with a guard raptor, hidden, from the thief's point of view, behind a random door.

HAHAH

Oh this would be so fucking cool.

Can you imagine the look on a thief's face?

Look, kill4free, do this. Write an email to the mud account with a detailed explanantion of what you want and how you plan to do it. Ask them to reply to you with any suggestions. If they give you the go ahead, ask them when would be a good time for them to work with you on it, assuming you'll need immortal help (or immortal complication).

Goodluck!

mwahaha.

It would be pretty funny, imagining what a burglar would be like

- pick lock
You succeed and the door is now unlocked.
- Open door
Ok
- Enter room
You enter a medium sized room...
On the floor you see
Several long gracefully curved horns
A few piles of lengths of bone
Several light brown pelts
Several rugged red hides
A sand raptor
A few curved beaks
Several lengths of sinew

And you can probably figure out what happens from there :P

That does not mean said raptor would not attack you the next time you go into your apartment.  Think about it: wild animals do not like being caged.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Well, it's not the best method of training.

However, sled dogs that were 'wild' and didn't mind attacking their masters -were- training just by beating them with a club until they stopped, whenever they attacked.  They learned, sooner or later, and became submissive.

I'm not saying it can work on Zalanthas, with a raptor.  But he can at least try the idea.

Good luck to you, Kill4Free.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

The raptor most likely would attack me, but I would train it, aka, Kick its butt with bludgeoning weapons, everytime I went in, until either the raptor was uncounsious, or until he eventually learns to not attack me (When Im ready, as I would never sleep im my apartment, I would always have to be wary)

And I could bring in special treats for it, by hauling gurth in, since when they are in the shell the guards ignore it.

...that still doesn't explain how you will bring said raptor all the way through the city-state and into your quaint little abode, my man.  Because I can tell you right now (and don't tell no one or else the IC Fascists may come arrest me), but you won't be able to just KO a fuckin' raptor, subdue him, then drag his ass merrily on past the NPC soldiers.  That's for damn sure.  Something like this requires staff intervention to accomplish because code-wise it just won't work (and even if it were -- which it ain't -- whatever method you're using isn't likely feasible).

Pantoufle likes to make me feel long-winded.  *sniff*
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

LOL!  Sorry, I think this is a really funny idea.

QuoteThink about it: wild animals do not like being caged.
They also don't like being beat over the head several times a day.

Besides, what would happen if you were sleeping there one night and it woke up before you did?  Can you REALLY defend yourself from a raptor while sleeping?  :wink:

As I said at the very top, I asked if the guards ignore it, or not.  As they dont, obviously any way I could it in could make the guards kill it, but ICly I could, say, put it on the back of a kank, and put packs and such on top of it, or I could bring it in, in a night so dark, that you cant see anything (and since Im a ranger, I wouldnt get lost in the dark) Or in a sandstorm.

Obviously I wouldnt sleep, unless there was another room in the apartment, with a door :P  Since Im a ranger, I rest/sleep outside most of the time, and lizards (like the raptor) Can go for weeks, without food or water, as when they dont move, they dont really use energy of any kind.

Tembo are large enough to ride as mounts.  In fact there's some tribe of sexy amazon women out there in the north that ride tembo for a living.  I'm serious!

But anyway.  Dude.  For real, you can't just strap a tembo on your kank and ride on through, concealed underneath umpteen bags or not.  That's like packing a horse on a horse and pretending no one can see it on account of the fact you threw a bag on its head.

Please try again.   :lol:

> read Guide tembo

The vicious tembo beast of Tuluk is so stupid, it thinks that if you can't see it, it can't see you.

> A vicious tembo is here.

> wear towel over head
Ok.
You can't see a thing!

> A vicious tembo peers around suspiciously, snuffling the air a few times before wandering off looking vaguely disgruntled.

I did say how I would, in a sandstorm or a dark night, I wouldnt be seen.

I said raptor, a tembo is obviously too large to hide easily.

Seriously, though, if you want to do it, just do it.

Wish up asking if the guards will ignore you bringing in a subdued beast (I actually don't know if they are coded to look for such things or not, though).  Wait a bit, then try.

Sure, I will do that, as soon as I bought an apartment, the thing holding me back before was lack of security, but I will try it now, itll be worth it :)

Oh shit, you did say raptor.  My bad.