the +

Started by shadeoux, June 15, 2024, 01:01:32 PM

Does this denote you skilled up?   (advanced)+ the plus behind the word.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Yes.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

By the way, there is currently a "bug" where you'll start the game with a couple of skills with the + next to it.  Everyone in the south gets a bonus to dual wield, parry, and slashing weapons.  It's added when you point allanak using the same code as when you gain a skill.  This is only an issue when you first login, but I'll get it fixed shortly.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: Halaster on June 15, 2024, 05:02:59 PMBy the way, there is currently a "bug"

For other non-game breaking bugs we find, is the preferred method of reporting them still the ingame bug command?

Quote from: Dresan on June 15, 2024, 05:28:16 PM
Quote from: Halaster on June 15, 2024, 05:02:59 PMBy the way, there is currently a "bug"

For other non-game breaking bugs we find, is the preferred method of reporting them still the ingame bug command?

Yeah.  If the one-liner that the command allows isn't enough, then use the request tool.

I just want to quickly post something I said when it was first revealed. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth but I've already had like 10 people be confused about what the + actually means, the majority of people are guessing that it means the skill is still on timer, when it's actually 6x the length of the timer. I personally would rather it just be the timer rather than some weird middle ground, but I know that's a hard sell for staff.
I make up for the tiny in-game character limit by writing walls of text here.

It's never gonna be the timer.  ::)

People can read the help file if they are confused.

Quote from: Usiku on June 17, 2024, 09:20:25 AMPeople can read the help file if they are confused.

Which helpfiles specifically?

Quote from: Usiku on June 17, 2024, 09:20:25 AMIt's never gonna be the timer.  ::)

People can read the help file if they are confused.
Yeah I can never imagine it actually being the timer, I suggested some sort of randomness to make it semi-inaccurate but I understand it's a new features so we'll just see how it goes. My main issue has just been that there's been a fair bit of confusion about it, as it's not particularly intuitive. I know help files exist, but even though it might be obvious to you or I, knowing what help file to check isn't always the greatest. Help files are a labyrinth on their own.

Quote from: Dresan on June 17, 2024, 09:44:51 AM
Quote from: Usiku on June 17, 2024, 09:20:25 AMPeople can read the help file if they are confused.

To clarify, I am not sure if we are talking about general skill helpfiles or if there are specific helpfiles on '+' feature.

June 17, 2024, 11:16:03 AM #10 Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 11:20:41 AM by Cowboy
Let's add the two periods (..) that follow some skills. The answer is in Skills.  My bad.
I'd rather be lucky than good.

Quote from: Dresan on June 17, 2024, 09:44:51 AM

The "skills" helpfile.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Skills

A couple things I need to add to the helpfile:

"6 hours" means "6 RL hours," not Zalanthan.

+ doesn't show for gains from the learn command or (as of next release) the teach command.

+ never shows for the hide or scan skills. If it did you could get perfect information about whether you hid successfully or whether someone else is hiding nearby; which would suck, respectively, not enough or too much for sneaky folks.

+ doesn't show once your skill gets into the "master" bracket. (Chorus of groans, I know!) At that point, although you will benefit from gains, you're more than competent and we want to encourage chilling out about it.

The big use case we wanted to support is checking your skills to see what you've gained at in the current play session (broadly defined). We don't want folks to be clueless about how to get their skills up when skills matter so much in this game. OTOH if you are actually gaining skills consistently while you play, you don't really need to worry about doing better than that.
"I wasn't afraid," said Pooh, said he,
"I'm never afraid with you."

Quote from: Ursun on June 17, 2024, 11:37:00 AMhttps://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Skills

A couple things I need to add to the helpfile:

"6 hours" means "6 RL hours," not Zalanthan.

+ doesn't show for gains from the learn command or (as of next release) the teach command.

+ never shows for the hide or scan skills. If it did you could get perfect information about whether you hid successfully or whether someone else is hiding nearby; which would suck, respectively, not enough or too much for sneaky folks.

+ doesn't show once your skill gets into the "master" bracket. (Chorus of groans, I know!) At that point, although you will benefit from gains, you're more than competent and we want to encourage chilling out about it.

The big use case we wanted to support is checking your skills to see what you've gained at in the current play session (broadly defined). We don't want folks to be clueless about how to get their skills up when skills matter so much in this game. OTOH if you are actually gaining skills consistently while you play, you don't really need to worry about doing better than that.

I do really appreciate that it gives new players a good idea whether or not they're doing something right!

Quote from: Halaster on June 15, 2024, 05:02:59 PMBy the way, there is currently a "bug" where you'll start the game with a couple of skills with the + next to it.  Everyone in the south gets a bonus to dual wield, parry, and slashing weapons.  It's added when you point allanak using the same code as when you gain a skill.  This is only an issue when you first login, but I'll get it fixed shortly.

This is fixed now.