Q&A for New Special App Option - Advanced Start for Byn/Soldier

Started by Halaster, February 12, 2023, 11:34:31 AM

Are there any measures in place for PCs that behave so badly that they would have never made it to that rank in the first place?
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Nao on February 12, 2023, 02:00:31 PM
Are there any measures in place for PCs that behave so badly that they would have never made it to that rank in the first place?

We'll deal with it if it ever happens.  Which is to say, we're not able to predict every scenario and action players do, so no, we haven't given this specific scenario much thought.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

A reminder, this thread is about Questions and Answers for the announcement.  If you want to discuss the merits of certain points, please start a new thread.  This thread should simply be providing answers.  With that in mind, I've deleted a few posts (no one is in trouble or anything like that).

Seeing as the Arm's open to recruiting dwarves right now, and dwarves are mundane, can one spec-app a dwarven Private then?
so long nerds

Quote from: CalmThyPalm on February 12, 2023, 03:01:58 PM
Seeing as the Arm's open to recruiting dwarves right now, and dwarves are mundane, can one spec-app a dwarven Private then?
The Arm is not open to recruiting dwarves.  So no, you could not app a dwarven private in the AoD (or Tuluk).

Sorry if this is "find out IC" territory but for clarity, DO both militaries do life oaths for Private?

- Ride set at high journeyman, or boosted to low advanced if you start with it

Does this means spec app'd troopers/privates that pick fighters/enforcers get ride for free where the class does not usually provide this?

Quote from: Lutagar on February 12, 2023, 03:57:30 PM
- Ride set at high journeyman, or boosted to low advanced if you start with it

Does this means spec app'd troopers/privates that pick fighters/enforcers get ride for free where the class does not usually provide this?

Every class gets ride.

https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Skill%20Ride
Quote...
Every class can learn the ride skill. Simply mounting a suitable animal and attempting to move in a direction will have it appear on your skills list.

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Windstorm on February 12, 2023, 03:40:10 PM
Sorry if this is "find out IC" territory but for clarity, DO both militaries do life oaths for Private?

In the current documentation for the Sun King's Legion, Privates do 5 year contracts.  Corporals and above have a 30 year "lifeswear" contract.

Arm of the Dragon is lifesworn, in current documentation.

EDIT by Halaster:   I moved the 'discussion' part of this post to https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,58995.msg1087675.html#msg1087675

Question:  Will other PCs that already get boosts, get further boosts to offset where their power level should start aka Sergeants, Templars that special app in etc?

Quote from: Halaster on February 12, 2023, 03:29:36 PM
Quote from: CalmThyPalm on February 12, 2023, 03:01:58 PM
The Arm is not open to recruiting dwarves.  So no, you could not app a dwarven private in the AoD (or Tuluk).

The Legions don't allow dwarfs in? Since when?!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Bebop on February 12, 2023, 05:07:25 PM
Question:  Will other PCs that already get boosts, get further boosts to offset where their power level should start aka Sergeants, Templars that special app in etc?
Sergeants and the like will get at least the same as these roles.  Templars are their own beast handled separately.

Historically, some mutants were allowed in the AoD on a case-by-case basis and the T'zai Byn welcome all kinds.

Are mutants (with or without additional benefits/penalties relevant to their mutation) going to be allowed to utilize this special application?
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Vwest on February 13, 2023, 11:40:31 PM
Historically, some mutants were allowed in the AoD on a case-by-case basis and the T'zai Byn welcome all kinds.

Are mutants (with or without additional benefits/penalties relevant to their mutation) going to be allowed to utilize this special application?

That will probably depend on the severity and type of mutation.  I could see the Byn being more accepting of mutants than the militias.  I could see Tuluk being more accepting than Allanak because of their history with the thryzn.

Why isn't there an option for survival character boosts?
21sters Unite!

Quote from: creeper386 on February 15, 2023, 01:06:29 AM

If you mean the "mixed' classes (stalker, miscreant, laborer) that's because we decided this is only for combat characters.  Generally speaking, when people complain about "The Grind" it is combat they specifically mean, because most everything else is pretty easy to raise skill-wise.  I'm not talking about the social grind and making friends and relationships.

But those three "military" organizations are generally focused around combat and improving it.  Sometimes Byn sergeants may take runners out of the city on survival lessons, but not as often as combat.

This is meant to give people, in those exact roles, a boost for combat.  That's all it's meant for.

Quote from: Halaster on February 15, 2023, 09:31:29 AM

If you mean the "mixed' classes (stalker, miscreant, laborer) that's because we decided this is only for combat characters.  Generally speaking, when people complain about "The Grind" it is combat they specifically mean, because most everything else is pretty easy to raise skill-wise.  I'm not talking about the social grind and making friends and relationships.

But those three "military" organizations are generally focused around combat and improving it.  Sometimes Byn sergeants may take runners out of the city on survival lessons, but not as often as combat.

This is meant to give people, in those exact roles, a boost for combat.  That's all it's meant for.

I think the question was more: Why can't I roll a stalker in as a spec app Byn Trooper?

By not choosing a Tier one which focuses on combat, your character is also choosing not to focus so intently on combat and thus their utility skills.

If you want tier one capabilities, pick tier one with a utility-oriented subguild.

There's going to be trade-offs.

Otherwise, they need to offer the same boost to all tiers just for joining the Byn or militias.

Why differentiate between tiers at all?
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

A reminder, this thread is about Questions and Answers for the announcement.  If you want to discuss the merits of certain points, please start a new thread.  This thread should simply be providing answers.  With that in mind, I've deleted a few posts (no one is in trouble or anything like that).

Quote from: Hauwke on February 15, 2023, 02:32:56 PM
Quote from: Halaster on February 15, 2023, 09:31:29 AM

I think the question was more: Why can't I roll a stalker in as a spec app Byn Trooper?

Answered above in https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,58988.msg1087959.html#msg1087959

QuoteIf you mean the "mixed' classes (stalker, miscreant, laborer) that's because we decided this is only for combat characters.  Generally speaking, when people complain about "The Grind" it is combat they specifically mean, because most everything else is pretty easy to raise skill-wise.  I'm not talking about the social grind and making friends and relationships.

Quote from: DesertT on February 15, 2023, 03:15:28 PM
Why differentiate between tiers at all?

To give people more options than just raider/enforcer/fighter.  That said, these clans are focused on combat roles, which is why it's limited to light combat / heavy combat.

I don't recall if this was addressed or not.

Will there be any editing to the invisible skills?  To stop the boosted Bynner from getting obliterated by the first Carru or Gortok they encounter?
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: Pariah on February 15, 2023, 03:39:03 PM
I don't recall if this was addressed or not.

Will there be any editing to the invisible skills?  To stop the boosted Bynner from getting obliterated by the first Carru or Gortok they encounter?

Yes.

QuoteSay you start a class and subclass that have overlapping skills.

Like Raider, Outdoorsman, will those overlapping skills start out higher or are just essentially throwing away your subguild pick for one skill being gained?

You'll get the bonus on top of whichever is higher.  So no, it wouldn't be a waste.

Quote from: Halaster on February 20, 2023, 02:02:59 PM
QuoteSay you start a class and subclass that have overlapping skills.

Like Raider, Outdoorsman, will those overlapping skills start out higher or are just essentially throwing away your subguild pick for one skill being gained?

You'll get the bonus on top of whichever is higher.  So no, it wouldn't be a waste.

Did the question have to do with Advanced Start, or just about how overlapping Class/Subclasses work? Which I think is just, you get whichever the higher starting skill is, I don't think there is any boost because of overlap.
21sters Unite!