Crafting High Quality Weapons Q&A

Started by Halaster, January 25, 2023, 12:50:18 PM

See this:  https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,58907.0.html

If you have questions about this, here's the place to ask them!
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

January 25, 2023, 01:02:48 PM #1 Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:05:37 PM by Lutagar
Is it possible for independents to craft amazing items?

If not, are you concerned that the clanned requirement could drive away players who might have previously played mundane independent crafters at a time where mage population is overrepresented among pcs?

Quote from: Lutagar on January 25, 2023, 01:02:48 PM
Is it possible for independents to craft amazing items?

If not, are you concerned that the clanned requirement could drive away players who previously might have previously played mundane independent crafters at a time where mage population is overrepresented among pcs?

No, it is not possible for independents to make amazing.

No, I'm not concerned about it driving away independents who want to craft amazing quality.  I don't expect that will happen on any noticeable scale.  It's pretty common knowledge that only Salarr can craft "the best" at everything.  We're also allowing tribals to have one type of weapon they specialize in that allows them to also craft amazing, but only that one.

Alright so, I custom craft a Good item1, Very good item1, and amazing Custom Crafted item1.
1. Can I continue to craft Amazing Customer Crafted Item1 going forward or am I only able to make 1 and repeat the process making GI2, VG2?
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Krath on January 25, 2023, 01:15:32 PM
Alright so, I custom craft a Good item1, Very good item1, and amazing Custom Crafted item1.
1. Can I continue to craft Amazing Customer Crafted Item1 going forward or am I only able to make 1 and repeat the process making GI2, VG2?

This is rules for submitting Custom Craft recipes.  Once your recipe is in the game, you can craft it all you want.  Which is why the requirement for not super easy to obtain items.

Are there already established tribes that can make XYZ weapon really well, or is it undecided?

As of this writing, none have been established.  Tribal clans should work with their staff to decide on what their specialty should be.

Does that essentially mean that to craft Amazing weapons, you'll need to be a fully trained tier one?  Regarding that weapon type, of course.

Yes, to submit "above average" recipe, you need to be low advanced in the weapon crafting skill.
To submit "good" the next month, you'll need to be at high advanced
To submit "very good" the next month, you'll need to be at low master

Confirming how I read it:

A Master Swordmaker, clanned Salarr, can only submit 1 "amazing" level craft every 3 months. Once it has been approved, it can be made ad nauseum
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 25, 2023, 01:44:37 PM

A Master Swordmaker, clanned Salarr, can only submit 1 "amazing" level craft every 3 months. Once it has been approved, it can be made ad nauseum

Correct.

Quote from: Halaster on January 25, 2023, 01:38:08 PM
Does that essentially mean that to craft Amazing weapons, you'll need to be a fully trained tier one?  Regarding that weapon type, of course.

Yes, to submit "above average" recipe, you need to be low advanced in the weapon crafting skill.
To submit "good" the next month, you'll need to be at high advanced
To submit "very good" the next month, you'll need to be at low master

To put this another way that is perhaps easier to understand:

• To submit "amazing" recipe, you have to be Artisan, Dune Trader or Fence.  This is the best level these folks can do it at.
  • To submit "very good" recipe, the above can. Also Craftsperson, Adventurer, Pilferer if they have the Subclass Custom Crafter, or crafting recipe capable extended subclass (Master Woodworker, Master Weaponsmith) can, and it is the best level these folks can do it at.
  • To submit "good" recipe, the above can. Also Laborer if they have the Subclass Custom Crafter can, and it is the best level these folks can do it at.
  • To submit "above average" recipe, the above can. Also Soldier if they have the Subclass Custom Crafter can, and it is the best level these folks can do it at.

Quote from: Halaster on January 25, 2023, 01:33:28 PM
Are there already established tribes that can make XYZ weapon really well, or is it undecided?

As of this writing, none have been established.  Tribal clans should work with their staff to decide on what their specialty should be.

Will these specialties be locked in based on feedback from current tribal members forever, or will there be regular periods where these specialties can change? And once they're made will they be announced publically? I don't want to make a Sun Runner with dreams of making the most badass spear only to find out that Sun Runner's specialty is knives.

Additionally are the specialties limited by craft, or could a clan have a specialty in say, Horror Shell, which gives them more options for what they make, as long as it involves the rare material?
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on January 26, 2023, 02:19:49 PM
Quote from: Halaster on January 25, 2023, 01:33:28 PM

Will these specialties be locked in based on feedback from current tribal members forever, or will there be regular periods where these specialties can change? And once they're made will they be announced publically? I don't want to make a Sun Runner with dreams of making the most badass spear only to find out that Sun Runner's specialty is knives.

Additionally are the specialties limited by craft, or could a clan have a specialty in say, Horror Shell, which gives them more options for what they make, as long as it involves the rare material?

Once decided by staff with input from players, yes it will be permanently locked in.  I'm not sure about publicly announcing it, but the tribe would for sure know.  And so you would find out when you request documentation. 

Limited by a single type of weapon.

Do we need 4 (or 5, or whatever) different ingredients, or can we make a sword out of one Gaj tooth and four packs of the same black dye?
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Nao on January 27, 2023, 05:31:52 PM
Do we need 4 (or 5, or whatever) different ingredients, or can we make a sword out of one Gaj tooth and four packs of the same black dye?

Some repeat items are fine yeah.  The purpose to this is so that if someone CC's a high quality weapon and has a recipe, that it's not easy to mass produce.  That each one takes some effort to produce to try and prevent "flooding the market" with tons of really high quality stuff.

If I'm working my way up to a certain weapon as my best craft, do the previous two leading up to it have to be the exact same thing?

No, but similar weapon type (bludgeon vs piercing, etc).  So for example, if you're an independent crafter and want to make a very good greatsword, you could first CC a longsword, then second CC a bastard sword, then finally CC a greatsword.  Keep it in the family, so to speak.

Did the battle staff finally die?

I don't see a halberd type weapon in the selection.

The old polearms that I've looked at since the change appear to have been changed to other weapon types. I don't think there are any of those old advanced weapon types anymore.

Quote from: Tuannon on February 15, 2023, 03:15:05 AM
Did the battle staff finally die?

I don't see a halberd type weapon in the selection.

They technically still exist, and we may bring them back for specific scenarios.  But no one has the weapon skills to use them currently, and so they're not going to be craftable as high quality weapons.

Are GMH custom orders an exception to having to craft the same type of weapon in succession? If a noble wants a fancy dagger and the next month a templar wants a fancy flail...

Quote from: Classclown on May 18, 2023, 05:36:47 PM
Are GMH custom orders an exception to having to craft the same type of weapon in succession? If a noble wants a fancy dagger and the next month a templar wants a fancy flail...

If you are speaking about "QUALITY" of weapons - no, they do not have an exception.

Quote from: Halaster on January 25, 2023, 01:47:10 PM
Quote from: Riev on January 25, 2023, 01:44:37 PM

Correct.

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

This means if you know that your local Salarri Crafter just custom-designed an amazing-level brick war-oven... you might have to wait at least 3 months to get YOUR amazing through, and thats -if- available.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on May 18, 2023, 07:18:15 PM
This means if you know that your local Salarri Crafter just custom-designed an amazing-level brick war-oven... you might have to wait at least 3 months to get YOUR amazing through, and thats -if- available.

Your brick war-oven does UNSPEAKABLE damage!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I think there should be ways to make one-off weapons at Amazing quality more often.  Trade off between it being a recipe vs.  a single craft.

If you are going so meta to actually ask for an -amazing- weapon IG...I dunno, expect a hard look at your karma or something?

Unless you mean it looks amazing and you don't care about combat effectiveness, in which case go wild.

Amazing will not be becoming the new average.

Quote from: Brokkr on May 18, 2023, 11:44:02 PM
If you are going so meta to actually ask for an -amazing- weapon IG...I dunno, expect a hard look at your karma or something?

Amazing is a natural language description word and when you look at an 'amazing' weapon that is how it looks. It seems a bit of a contrivance to just not use the word for some reason.

Why would that be something karma is tied to?