What CAN'T You Play?

Started by Miradus, January 14, 2017, 12:02:38 PM

Quote from: TheWanderer on January 14, 2017, 06:23:47 PM
The above is accurate. Don't tell staff I -still- can't get to Luir's from Allanak. Even Red Storm's a stretch.

The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."

Humans..I am no good at playing humans. They are generally bad when I play them and I can't get into them.

Quote from: dravage on January 15, 2017, 07:39:53 PM
The above is accurate. Don't tell staff I -still- can't get to Luir's from Allanak. Even Red Storm's a stretch.

And now -you- are the veteran. Thanks for all your help, *endearing term*.  :)

"Where are you, Trooper?"

"Well, fuck. The desert?"
Whatever happens, happens.

Quote from: Inks on January 15, 2017, 09:15:42 PM
Humans..I am no good at playing humans. They are generally bad when I play them and I can't get into them.

In about fifteen years and forty-two characters...I think I've played three humans.  Maybe four.  I can't recall anything about any of them.

Quote from: Akaramu on January 14, 2017, 05:26:03 PM
Any nonhumans except half-giants muls. With nonhumans I always feel like I'm not doing the race justice, and I prefer to focus on personality rather than racial roleplay.

Outdoorsy roles - no direction sense. Staff might know how many times I take wrong turns in Allanak, in areas I know like the back of my hand by now.  :P

I'm gonna make one hell of a sarge someday.

Haha, I can't even get to Red Storm. Or Yaroch. Or Menos. The Salt Flats would be a stretch since I might suddenly start typoing directions while trying to walk in a straight line.

It took me 3 years and a leadership role looming on the horizon for me to learn 'Nak to Luir's to be fair guys.

I hate playing dwarves. Not because I cant portray them well, but because portraying them is so easy, I begin to feel self-conscious about it. I like to play PCs that 'do' get distracted, that do allow moments of weakness, that do have flexibility of thought. I already have way too many roles that come up with 20 step schemes to achieve whatever and slowly align the entire universe to make them happen.

I don't like playing half-giants. Again, I'm all self conscious about it. My Half Giants end up on extreme ends of the 'wrong' way of playing it. Either they end up being far too intelligent. Or they end up being 'too' much of a comic relief. The latter is fun kinda, but after a little while, starts to jar me and ... meh.

Roles of any whatsoever responsibility. My playtimes are such that I could play the entire day today and then not login for a month.

Dwarves. Never played one. TMF, too many foci.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

I'm almost physically incapable of understanding an elven mindset, especially the fractured one of a breed.

I have this overwhelming need to believe that if I'm capable of doing something, you better respect that. You need me to pick a door? I can do that, best there is, never find anyone better. But I'm an elf, so you'll never ask. Then I get mad and broody..

Maybe I SHOULD play a Breed.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 16, 2017, 09:36:15 AM

Everyone should play a breed. Breed hate is what spawns raptors.

And everyone should play a raptor some time, too.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Quote from: Raptor_Dan on January 16, 2017, 09:53:35 AM

Only if it has Order code and I can order two other raptors to come with me and we can run in a pack, demolishing the Wastes and pooping in spider dens.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 16, 2017, 10:01:32 AM
Quote from: Raptor_Dan on January 16, 2017, 09:53:35 AM

Only if it has Order code and I can order two other raptors to come with me and we can run in a pack, demolishing the Wastes and pooping in spider dens.

family role call?
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

I can't play elves, dwarves, half-giants, or muls well.

I can't play drovians at all. And thank you for bringing up such a painful subject.  :'(

:D
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Full mages, also I found the linguist sub-guild not at all fun or interesting. Other than that I guess leadership roles because I don't have the time and the Merchant guild, because I don't enjoy it at all.
3/21/16 Never Forget

There are some roles I've never played because I don't have much interest in playing them. Half-Giants is a notable one.

Quote from: bardlyone on January 14, 2017, 03:28:48 PM
Dwarves. I like to be flexible in pursuing different stuff. I tend to be dwarflike in thought patterns IRL, flitting from focus/obsession to focus/obsession without much break between. Getting stuck in that with bigger and harder to achieve stuff IC is just too much like being stuck in my own head.

I too have real trouble playing Dwarves. I played one Dwarf, Boaz the Malarn, who was wonderful because I had an interesting focus and tribe to work with. Since then the few times I've tried to play a dwarf I've had trouble with the focus. I agree that they're quite a difficult role to play!

Quote from: Fathi on January 14, 2017, 03:38:27 PM
I am just so bad at playing mages. I've had one that lived for like 6 days of playtime and that's the best I've ever done. Not a whole hell of a lot of interest in playing most of the mage guilds, either. Enjoy Whirans. Enjoyed Nilazi. Haven't ever really clicked with anything else.

I too am bad at playing mages. Most were short lived. I had fun playing a Drovian but the areas of magick I was interested in exploring were not what others wanted my character to focus on! I've not played any of the new sub-guild mages so perhaps that might be interesting. Truthfully thought magick confuses me IRL and my brain starts to hurt when I try thinking about it!

Quote from: Refugee on January 14, 2017, 07:55:30 PM
Crafters.  Holy cow it bores my brain numb.  Lots of people love it but not me.

This! Crafters bore me incredibly, except for cooks, and I really don't enjoy playing characters that focus on crafting. When Master Traders were introduced as a subguild I was super-stoked since I could play an old-fashioned Dune Trader again without people begging me to MC jeweled doo-hickies.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I love playing dwarves. Love 'em. In every campaign setting from Faerun to Dark Sun to Harn Isle.

They are absolutely the easiest non-human for me to fall into.

I hate dwarves.
I hate that they are stocky and short and hairless.
I appreciate when someone plays a really good dwarf though, it's just not something I can do or like to do.

Half-giants.  I think I'd have to drink a few shots every time I sat down to play in order to do it right.

The thing about dwarves is that they aren't human. They aren't stocky humans, bald humans, or very, very strong humans.

They aren't the same species as everyone else. Unlike a breed, they have no angst that they're not like anyone else. They may occasionally be shocked that someone expects them to react in a human way to something instead of the dwarf way. Their brains work entirely different from a human. They aren't crazy. They aren't broken. They are their own thing.

Some of my dwarves have not done well at sticking to their focus, but a dwarf is pretty long-lived so you can play it off as just a brief interlude of rest, recovery, and planning before getting back on track. Others have done well at the focus but it led them off into the weeds of social inactivity.

The hardest part I have with dwarves in this setting is the lack of a history and culture. All of that tradition and lore which makes them really stand out in so many other settings can't be introduced here. That infuriates me every time I play one. Mostly because there's such a rich lore to draw on from every world in the multiverse and we've got to stick to the 'bald miners who are usually slave stock'.

Hrmmm

Dwarven Focus, "Unit all dwarves (boorin ...) by introducing a new unifying culture amongst all kin, creed, and tribe. Make up the culture if you gotta.

Dwarven Bull Shitter/Preacher/Storyteller.

I can get behind that. Yeah.

There is no reason that dwarves are excluded from the player-created tribes/families that other PC races get to enjoy.  We have some history of tableland dwarvish clans. I was briefly part of a wicked, skanky dwarvish clutch of PCs in the 'rinth.  Figuring out how Zalanthan dwarves work together communally (especially in a place like the deep wastes or in the resource impoverished labyrinth) is a hoot.

Just because all dwarves don't belong to a widely shared racial culture doesn't preclude some clumps of dwarves out there in the Known from having very rich, deep thang going on. 
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Extroverts. I feel I can tackle genders, races, ages, if I put the work in. An extrovert,  I don't know what goes on inside their head.  Any suggestions of novels/stories/ logs which include the PV of an extrovert protagonist?
I have played a laid back risk taker, but that's not the same thing, is it?

Red Shirt. I've tried, but the throwaways tend to become the most long-lived.

Half-Elves. Too emo. I can play selfish pricks, but I can't play people that emotionally obsessed with themselves. Also the mood swings. Yeah. Just can't. Appreciate the people who can! I think i've played either 0 or 1 half-elf in total.

Magickers. I'm alright with them, but the temptation to endlessly spam-cast to branch second and third tier spells is overwhelming for me. I've found this severely lessened by having the sub-guilds in place, though i've only tried a couple. I also find I make retarded mistakes on every Magicker i've played. Like Bantos the Oashi Krathi, who drank cleaning fluid. Just stupid stuff not even typically related to magick, just happens to happen to my magickers. I don't think i've had one live past 4 or 5 days played, if that.

Rangers. Took me several Rangers to finally 'get it' when I played Gazel of Kadius. After i've played him, I sort of got/get how to be a ranger, but now Tuluk's closed and i'd be confused again.

"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I feel better. Some of you come across as uber-competent here on the forum and to hear that you can't play a class I do really well at or that you don't know how to get from point to point when I've got it all mapped ... heh ... thanks for sharing your incompetence. :)

That comes across as rude and arrogant, but I'm not meaning it that way. I'm really grateful that everyone is sharing openly what they feel they can't do. Especially considering how long some of you have been here. Makes me feel like my own incompetence in some areas isn't that big of a deal after all.