What CAN'T You Play?

Started by Miradus, January 14, 2017, 12:02:38 PM

What type of character roles do you find it difficult to play?

For me, it's the quiet, listening type. The calm ones who seem to know what's going on all around them at all times.

Clanned roles. I -can- play them, but I dislike the way that, even with the Byn, a clan will eat up SUCH a majority of your time and have SO many restrictions to things you can or cannot do. As an explorer type who plays when there's 3 other people on (usually who aren't in my clan) it is unbelievably frustrating to be relegated to being alone in the city. So I wind up either avoiding clans, looking for the few roles where I can still leave, or breaking the rules and doing it anyway.

Also, elves. I'm not big on pk or stealing from other pcs. I think it's all fine and good when other people do it, but would prefer to avoid it unless there's such IC circumstances as to make avoiding it something that would be a total break with character. As such, I tend to avoid elf roles.

Warriors. The extra doubleplusgood combat skills don't make up for the lack of utility skills. I've played 1 warrior that lived more than 4 hours. And meh. Give me a ranger or assassin instead. Decent combat with a shitload of utility trumps awesome combat with no utility for me any day. Perhaps if I had a really long lived gladiator pc it would be different but... it's not different now, heh.

Dwarves. I like to be flexible in pursuing different stuff. I tend to be dwarflike in thought patterns IRL, flitting from focus/obsession to focus/obsession without much break between. Getting stuck in that with bigger and harder to achieve stuff IC is just too much like being stuck in my own head.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Half-giants. I can play somewhat simple-minded people, but it takes a kind of smarts to intentionally play "stupid" that I just don't have.

Dwarves. I still think this should be a karma-required option. I'm too scatter-brained to be able to wrap my mind around a focus for more than a few hours at a time.

Leaders who are required to hire a "crew." I'm okay having an assistant, or paying piecemeal or contractual stuff. Just not so great when it comes to picking and choosing a whole bunch of people that I'd have to be responsible for, and give them all tasks, and expect them to earn their keep, etc. I'm just too impatient. One or two trusted employees, sure. A crew? Nah.  So, no Byn Sergeant role for me any time soon.

A truly F-me character or femme fatale. I'm just not interested enough in IG romantic/sexual relationships to play one of these.

An active, successful assassin. And by assassin I mean vocation, not skillset. I have nothing at all against PK and in fact I'm all for it. I'm just very cowardly and would rather be influential enough to get someone else to do it on my behalf, than be the one to shove the blade in.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I am just so bad at playing mages. I've had one that lived for like 6 days of playtime and that's the best I've ever done. Not a whole hell of a lot of interest in playing most of the mage guilds, either. Enjoy Whirans. Enjoyed Nilazi. Haven't ever really clicked with anything else.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Primarily social, heavy politics roles. I can do it part time, but not all the time.

Scruffy explorer/crafter/semi-isolationist for life.

Im not sure there is anything I cant do. If there is I have yet to find it personally, but I am sure its out there somewhere. It could be half giants that do it, it might not be.

Political roles / aides, because playtimes  :'(

Any nonhumans except half-giants. With nonhumans I always feel like I'm not doing the race justice, and I prefer to focus on personality rather than racial roleplay.

Outdoorsy roles - no direction sense. Staff might know how many times I take wrong turns in Allanak, in areas I know like the back of my hand by now.  :P

Dwarves - Fuck I hate dwarves.  I try them every so often and then immediately feel very dirty.

Breeds - Because I start to feel breedy OOC'ly as I constantly question "am I being breedy enough?  Am I being too breedy?  Do others think I am being breedy enough?!"

A native of Luir's outpost.  I just require more social interaction than nod/spar/bar repeat.  Call me kookie.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Akaramu on January 14, 2017, 05:26:03 PM
Any nonhumans except half-giants muls. With nonhumans I always feel like I'm not doing the race justice, and I prefer to focus on personality rather than racial roleplay.

Outdoorsy roles - no direction sense. Staff might know how many times I take wrong turns in Allanak, in areas I know like the back of my hand by now.  :P

The above is accurate. Don't tell staff I -still- can't get to Luir's from Allanak. Even Red Storm's a stretch.

I'm gonna make one hell of a sarge someday.
Whatever happens, happens.

I don't find racial roleplay that difficult. But I have nearly no interest in playing dwarves, half-giants or desert elves.

Any future mages of mine will be with the subguild randomly rolled for after I've come up with background/concept.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I really like dwarves and desert elves are pretty fun too but I haven't tried anything else non-human.

I can't seem to find the thrill in a pickpocket or city-based thief of any sort. Pickpockets are really neat and they become pretty playable in like a day or two but I have never figured out what to do with them during the daytime.

Crafters.  Holy cow it bores my brain numb.  Lots of people love it but not me.

Facial roleplay.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on January 14, 2017, 08:26:23 PM
Facial roleplay.

I do indeed suck at describing faces.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on January 14, 2017, 08:33:45 PM
Quote from: Malken on January 14, 2017, 08:26:23 PM
Facial roleplay.

I do indeed suck at describing faces.
I am not sure that is what Malken meant.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I like where this thread went.

I dont play magickers or stealthy. It just doesn't vibe.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Men.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I didn't think I'd be able to play a half-elf very well, but when I did I found the mindset disturbingly natural.

I don't think I could ever play a leadership position again.  Too much responsability and drama.  Painfully reminded me of work.

I love to play city elves, but I seem to get them killed at around 7 days played from talking to much shit or stealing from the wrong guy.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on January 15, 2017, 02:48:29 PM
I love to play city elves, but I seem to get them killed at around 7 days played from talking to much shit or stealing from the wrong guy.

What's fun is to create a character whose whole purpose is to talk shit and see how long that lasts.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 14, 2017, 09:22:14 PM
I didn't think I'd be able to play a half-elf very well, but when I did I found the mindset disturbingly natural.

I don't think I could ever play a leadership position again.  Too much responsability and drama.  Painfully reminded me of work.

I don't really play my half-elves that much different than my humans. They might have the occasional urge to flip off whoever they're with and set off alone. They might wish they had more friends.

Leaders, I'm terrible at playing leaders. I get my minions
killed/maimed a lot. Actually, scratch that. I'm a great leader.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

I had one magicker. Well, two. But I'm pretty sure a certain SLK murdered my Stonebraxat beneath 2 hours played, SO. But I found full guild mages fucking dreeeeary. Barf.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.