Armageddon, you beautiful, sweet lover you...

Started by Kankman, June 23, 2016, 09:38:13 PM

The struggle is real.

You fight, using weapons, or using wit. Your life is on the line, every day. Safety is fleeting.

The burning rays of Suk-Krath parch all the liquid from your body. The sands blast your flesh, sting your eyes, and obscure the dangers lurking in the surroundings.

Anyone, and everyone, is willing to skullfuck you into oblivion just to get ahead.

Your best friend is probably either just using you, or plotting your demise.

I love this game.

So do you.

How about we talk about that for a little while?

NANANANANANANANANANANANA....KANKMAN!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I wanna talk about how delightfully interwoven all the intricacies of different houses and clans are.  They all seem all separated and clean cut and all, but there's a very real powerplay between all of them in making themselves more important than each other through their given means.  The garden of roleplaying, as much as I complain about certain things, is seriously bearing great delicious fruit here.

When I bite into these fruit, I taste the tears of your dead PCs, mourning their lost loves.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I've been crying for days because this game emotionally scars me so much sometimes.  It's more emotionally impactful for me than a really good novel, which is saying a lot.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

No other game gets me shaking with adrenaline, hardly able to type, knees locked up, eyes wide open, gripping my ass cheeks together, breathing ragged. Typically while killing, or avoiding being killed, or a combination of the hunter and the hunted.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I want to talk about that one time my PC had a serious mental break, and I was sobbing because I felt the pain.

I want to talk about how on my past like 3 PCs I havn't even left the city (both for time constraints, and for activity (sometimes)).

I want to talk to YOU about Tektolnes, our lord and savior.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Is this like an inside joke I'm not getting.

Screw the tyranical allanak and its clans, with their obsurd power and decadence...

No the windsweep deserts and dunes, with dusty villages, outposts and camps...riding the frontier at the edges of civilization. Where the only things you can trust are your weapons and your mount.

Quote from: Jihelu on June 23, 2016, 09:49:20 PM
Is this like an inside joke I'm not getting.

Nah, just a place to contribute game positivity, as far as I can tell!

What do YOU wanna talk about, Jihelu?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I want to talk about how I've seen, as many of you lifers have, Houses rise and fall.

A great turd eclipse the sun.

A volcano erupt and build a new PITA mountain that Tek finally moved aside.

Player clans come into existence.

Successful assassination plots, and unsuccessful ones.

Armageddon is a truly unique game. I've never seen anything like it. It's the best kind of sandbox. It's not the sandbox you can do absolutely anything with. It's the sandbox that has an almost real world built inside of it, with enough flexibility that if your goals are within the realm of that reality, you can do it. But it's hard. And that's what makes it worthwhile.

i luvs the fact there is.... that one thing, thats like completely absent on other muds. you all know that one thing.....

RP!!! yes, and no global channels, and all that stuff in it that makes me just want to strangle a thousand people.

oh and the players love to hate you (cause I killz you) hate to love you (cause you kill me, and steal my boots if you don't)

and the staff that animate things at random and make me all wtf just happened all over myself.
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

ARRR PEEE: Pissing Pirates. Doesn't get better than that, and we have it right here on the Silt Sea.

I love that even a mundane nobody can get involved in stuff, and can even be one of the movers and shakers. There's more but I'll start small.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Reiloth on June 23, 2016, 09:46:35 PM
No other game gets me shaking with adrenaline, hardly able to type, knees locked up, eyes wide open, gripping my ass cheeks together, breathing ragged. Typically while killing, or avoiding being killed, or a combination of the hunter and the hunted.

This is pretty much what got me addicted to the game. I watched over a shoulder as my buddy played for years and then finally after the 123094128th story I was like, fine. I'll give this stupid text game a try. Now, over a decade later I'm still playing and he hasn't in years.

The first time someone tried to kill me and I was running through the rinth with them on my tail throwing daggers and backstabbing, that beautiful adrenaline was AWEEESOME. I hated to admit that I got more of a rush out of a near death experience in a text game than pretty much any graphics game ever. So here I be.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

This is probably the only game that I keep coming back to, and have been playing for so many years. It's amazing.
I ruin immershunz.

Arm has RP.  Lots of it and many  players who are good at it.
Arm has permadeath and PK.
Arm has -one of- the most extensive crafting systems in a MUD, and it is getting better everyday.
Arm has player run clans.
Arm will not get out of your head...no matter how much you try and make it.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quote from: Dresan on June 23, 2016, 09:56:17 PM
Where the only things you can trust are your weapons and your mount.

Sometimes you can't even trust your mount.

I love the rich discovery of something I've not yet seen, which since I've only played about a year continues to occur and once I run out of stuff I haven't seen, there will be more stuff to see or recipes to discover.

I love the delight of my character making herself a pair of boots and.... I just realised I might actually want to start having little detailed solo RPs about the luxury of putting on that new pair of boots or sandals or something iunno.

I love that you're actually encouraged to solo RP and nobody thinks you're insane.

I love that it;s okay if your character is insane though.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Yo, dropping in to say that I love the meat changes and I'd like to suggest a tweak to the meat changes, just make meat taste better, minor code tweak, thanks, LOVED it.   xoxoxo
Where it will go

I miss the stories most.

And Kankman.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Kankman on June 24, 2016, 07:57:40 PM
Quote from: mansa on June 24, 2016, 06:48:45 PM
I miss the stories most.

And Kankman.

I'm so back.

Veterans who left, returning!
Now that's the ticket!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

The characters who found my PSs'  fear/ love spot. Starting with that first Byn Trooper...

Quote from: valeria on June 23, 2016, 09:45:30 PM
I've been crying for days because this game emotionally scars me so much sometimes.  It's more emotionally impactful for me than a really good novel, which is saying a lot.

i haven't cried over arma recently, but I have before, over a year ago. But that was a hard time in general. I think during that time this game was a really important outlet for me. I also wonder if my writing improved because of it.. whatever the case, I am also thankful to this game. It is more than just appreciation though, it's also at times greatly disappointing. But usually I can learn from this game, somehow. Since the reason I game has always been about the learning experience, and with the ability to relate these stories to real life and teach myself about human(oid) nature (with the help of an amazing playerbase), it's no wonder I've sunk over six years playing this game.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

The only game I've cried over was HL2RP.

THAT WAS SOME GOOD SHIT

This is the only game I can reliably roleplay being a commoner with mild dreams and aspirations that may or may not go anywhere. ... even if I somehow always end up in enormous plots with my incredibly ordinary characters.
But anyway, I love arm because I enjoy people watching. Which can be creepy sometimes in real life in great lengths of time. But in this game I can literally be those people ... sort of. Man. The creepy level isn't going down at all. What I'm saying is I enjoy catching people be themselves if only for an instant they show a genuine smile or flash a dumbfounded frown before showing some other more "appropriate" expression - or young boy poking his mother over and over for candy and she finally moves to scald him or give in.
Trying to understand a situation from a distance with only a few clues.

That and I've always enjoyed playing pretend.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors