Armageddon, you beautiful, sweet lover you...

Started by Kankman, June 23, 2016, 09:38:13 PM

The struggle is real.

You fight, using weapons, or using wit. Your life is on the line, every day. Safety is fleeting.

The burning rays of Suk-Krath parch all the liquid from your body. The sands blast your flesh, sting your eyes, and obscure the dangers lurking in the surroundings.

Anyone, and everyone, is willing to skullfuck you into oblivion just to get ahead.

Your best friend is probably either just using you, or plotting your demise.

I love this game.

So do you.

How about we talk about that for a little while?

NANANANANANANANANANANANA....KANKMAN!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I wanna talk about how delightfully interwoven all the intricacies of different houses and clans are.  They all seem all separated and clean cut and all, but there's a very real powerplay between all of them in making themselves more important than each other through their given means.  The garden of roleplaying, as much as I complain about certain things, is seriously bearing great delicious fruit here.

When I bite into these fruit, I taste the tears of your dead PCs, mourning their lost loves.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I've been crying for days because this game emotionally scars me so much sometimes.  It's more emotionally impactful for me than a really good novel, which is saying a lot.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

No other game gets me shaking with adrenaline, hardly able to type, knees locked up, eyes wide open, gripping my ass cheeks together, breathing ragged. Typically while killing, or avoiding being killed, or a combination of the hunter and the hunted.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I want to talk about that one time my PC had a serious mental break, and I was sobbing because I felt the pain.

I want to talk about how on my past like 3 PCs I havn't even left the city (both for time constraints, and for activity (sometimes)).

I want to talk to YOU about Tektolnes, our lord and savior.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Is this like an inside joke I'm not getting.

Screw the tyranical allanak and its clans, with their obsurd power and decadence...

No the windsweep deserts and dunes, with dusty villages, outposts and camps...riding the frontier at the edges of civilization. Where the only things you can trust are your weapons and your mount.

Quote from: Jihelu on June 23, 2016, 09:49:20 PM
Is this like an inside joke I'm not getting.

Nah, just a place to contribute game positivity, as far as I can tell!

What do YOU wanna talk about, Jihelu?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I want to talk about how I've seen, as many of you lifers have, Houses rise and fall.

A great turd eclipse the sun.

A volcano erupt and build a new PITA mountain that Tek finally moved aside.

Player clans come into existence.

Successful assassination plots, and unsuccessful ones.

Armageddon is a truly unique game. I've never seen anything like it. It's the best kind of sandbox. It's not the sandbox you can do absolutely anything with. It's the sandbox that has an almost real world built inside of it, with enough flexibility that if your goals are within the realm of that reality, you can do it. But it's hard. And that's what makes it worthwhile.

i luvs the fact there is.... that one thing, thats like completely absent on other muds. you all know that one thing.....

RP!!! yes, and no global channels, and all that stuff in it that makes me just want to strangle a thousand people.

oh and the players love to hate you (cause I killz you) hate to love you (cause you kill me, and steal my boots if you don't)

and the staff that animate things at random and make me all wtf just happened all over myself.
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

ARRR PEEE: Pissing Pirates. Doesn't get better than that, and we have it right here on the Silt Sea.

I love that even a mundane nobody can get involved in stuff, and can even be one of the movers and shakers. There's more but I'll start small.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Reiloth on June 23, 2016, 09:46:35 PM
No other game gets me shaking with adrenaline, hardly able to type, knees locked up, eyes wide open, gripping my ass cheeks together, breathing ragged. Typically while killing, or avoiding being killed, or a combination of the hunter and the hunted.

This is pretty much what got me addicted to the game. I watched over a shoulder as my buddy played for years and then finally after the 123094128th story I was like, fine. I'll give this stupid text game a try. Now, over a decade later I'm still playing and he hasn't in years.

The first time someone tried to kill me and I was running through the rinth with them on my tail throwing daggers and backstabbing, that beautiful adrenaline was AWEEESOME. I hated to admit that I got more of a rush out of a near death experience in a text game than pretty much any graphics game ever. So here I be.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

This is probably the only game that I keep coming back to, and have been playing for so many years. It's amazing.
I ruin immershunz.

Arm has RP.  Lots of it and many  players who are good at it.
Arm has permadeath and PK.
Arm has -one of- the most extensive crafting systems in a MUD, and it is getting better everyday.
Arm has player run clans.
Arm will not get out of your head...no matter how much you try and make it.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quote from: Dresan on June 23, 2016, 09:56:17 PM
Where the only things you can trust are your weapons and your mount.

Sometimes you can't even trust your mount.

I love the rich discovery of something I've not yet seen, which since I've only played about a year continues to occur and once I run out of stuff I haven't seen, there will be more stuff to see or recipes to discover.

I love the delight of my character making herself a pair of boots and.... I just realised I might actually want to start having little detailed solo RPs about the luxury of putting on that new pair of boots or sandals or something iunno.

I love that you're actually encouraged to solo RP and nobody thinks you're insane.

I love that it;s okay if your character is insane though.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Yo, dropping in to say that I love the meat changes and I'd like to suggest a tweak to the meat changes, just make meat taste better, minor code tweak, thanks, LOVED it.   xoxoxo
Where it will go

I miss the stories most.

And Kankman.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Kankman on June 24, 2016, 07:57:40 PM
Quote from: mansa on June 24, 2016, 06:48:45 PM
I miss the stories most.

And Kankman.

I'm so back.

Veterans who left, returning!
Now that's the ticket!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

The characters who found my PSs'  fear/ love spot. Starting with that first Byn Trooper...

Quote from: valeria on June 23, 2016, 09:45:30 PM
I've been crying for days because this game emotionally scars me so much sometimes.  It's more emotionally impactful for me than a really good novel, which is saying a lot.

i haven't cried over arma recently, but I have before, over a year ago. But that was a hard time in general. I think during that time this game was a really important outlet for me. I also wonder if my writing improved because of it.. whatever the case, I am also thankful to this game. It is more than just appreciation though, it's also at times greatly disappointing. But usually I can learn from this game, somehow. Since the reason I game has always been about the learning experience, and with the ability to relate these stories to real life and teach myself about human(oid) nature (with the help of an amazing playerbase), it's no wonder I've sunk over six years playing this game.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

The only game I've cried over was HL2RP.

THAT WAS SOME GOOD SHIT

This is the only game I can reliably roleplay being a commoner with mild dreams and aspirations that may or may not go anywhere. ... even if I somehow always end up in enormous plots with my incredibly ordinary characters.
But anyway, I love arm because I enjoy people watching. Which can be creepy sometimes in real life in great lengths of time. But in this game I can literally be those people ... sort of. Man. The creepy level isn't going down at all. What I'm saying is I enjoy catching people be themselves if only for an instant they show a genuine smile or flash a dumbfounded frown before showing some other more "appropriate" expression - or young boy poking his mother over and over for candy and she finally moves to scald him or give in.
Trying to understand a situation from a distance with only a few clues.

That and I've always enjoyed playing pretend.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Lately I've bee playing a bit of witcher 3 after I've been Mudding. But some days, I look at the machine, and graphic gaming just seems  so empty.

Quote from: solera on June 25, 2016, 02:23:52 AM
Lately I've bee playing a bit of witcher 3 after I've been Mudding. But some days, I look at the machine, and graphic gaming just seems  so empty.

I remember once explaining to a friend how a true RPG wouldn't exist in graphics until we had a virtual reality to play it in.  The traditional RPG can't match the acting, the politics, and the actual living-in of a character like Arm does.

It should be our number 1 selling point.  Stop selling sandboxes.  Stop selling momentous changes.  Sell the fact that in this game, you get to -be- your character.  You can, I think, live vicariously through your characters with an ease on arm that is not matched anywhere else.

Quote from: Armaddict on June 30, 2016, 12:32:01 AM
Quote from: solera on June 25, 2016, 02:23:52 AM

I remember once explaining to a friend how a true RPG wouldn't exist in graphics until we had a virtual reality to play it in.  The traditional RPG can't match the acting, the politics, and the actual living-in of a character like Arm does.

It should be our number 1 selling point.  Stop selling sandboxes.  Stop selling momentous changes.  Sell the fact that in this game, you get to -be- your character.  You can, I think, live vicariously through your characters with an ease on arm that is not matched anywhere else.

You're so right! I've been reading this book, An Actor Prepares, and I find so much of it applies to running a character.

I love you Armageddon. You continue to challenge and intrigue me.

Incidentally, I also love our playerbase! YOU GUYS ROCK!!! You're the life blood and the heartbeat and without our combined powahz the game would be emptier than witcher 3.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Sometimes, I go on Shamchat or Omegle and I pretend to be various deranged characters and haphazardly start screaming bastardized versions of the lore of Armageddon, and it seems to get people interested.
The story of Armageddon rules enough that just hearing about some of the hilariously amazing things draws folks in.

Thank you Arm for letting me get away with throwing my crippled, imperfect, often deranged creations into a world to live. And oftentimes surprising me when one of them not just survives, but -Thrives- in Zalanthas.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Thank you Arm for those characters that roll good stats and suck at stuff at first. And gradually become a beast of nearly anything, thank you for showing me that stats domt matter that much until other things, large things come into play with it.

Also that butt clenching things too thanks for that.

Thank you, Armageddon, for creating some of the most lasting friendships I've had (IRL), creating some of the most intense drama, bullshit, and adrenaline rushes (IRL and IC), and getting me through some rough times.

^
                     |
                     |

What that unbearable jerk said.

I already posted but I'm coming back.

Thank you Armageddon for constantly making me laugh out loud over the craziest crap.

Thank you Armageddon for helping me on occasion just break down and cry about something like how perfect for my character their death was.

Thank you Armageddon for making it where I actually say things like "I should have QUIT DIE then, it'd have been so damn romantic."

Thank you Armageddon for being something I like so much I complain about parts of is constantly, which I tend to do about things I care about.

Thank you Armageddon for that childish glee in beating a skeet senseless.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Thank you Arm community for keeping long-running jokes going that make NO SENSE to anyone outside of this game.

No one else knows why sandwiches are funny.

Thank you Armageddon for helping me meet some amazing motherfuckers and fatherfuckers.

Thank you Armageddon for giving a community who sticks close and cares.

Thank you Armageddon for giving all of us who are so distant from friends and family of any kind something to do on holidays.

And most of all, thank you for giving us a way to feel joy even when our real lives are bleak.

This community means a lot to me, and while all of you may not like me, you are always here, waiting with clever wit and brilliant thoughts to brighten the days that need it.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on July 04, 2016, 04:15:32 PM
Thank you Armageddon for helping me meet some amazing motherfuckers and fatherfuckers.

Thank you Armageddon for giving all of us who are so distant from friends and family of any kind something to do on holidays.

And most of all, thank you for giving us a way to feel joy even when our real lives are bleak.

This community means a lot to me, and while all of you may not like me, you are always here, waiting with clever wit and brilliant thoughts to brighten the days that need it.

Damn if I don't want to give you a hug after reading that.  :-\

Check this shit out, games been fairly busy this past month:

27: [Wed Jun  1 08:41:47 2016]
28: [Wed Jun  1 18:03:17 2016]
29: [Wed Jun  1 21:40:18 2016]
30: [Wed Jun  1 23:33:37 2016]
31: [Sun Jun  5 15:40:58 2016]
32: [Mon Jun  6 00:25:42 2016]
33: [Tue Jun  7 20:59:35 2016]
34: [Fri Jun 10 22:11:29 2016]
35: [Tue Jun 14 00:45:39 2016]
36: [Wed Jun 15 04:09:06 2016]
37: [Wed Jun 15 22:41:58 2016]
38: [Sun Jun 19 00:23:45 2016]
39: [Sun Jun 19 18:05:52 2016]
40: [Mon Jun 20 22:53:15 2016]
41: [Tue Jun 21 19:29:20 2016]
42: [Sat Jun 25 01:18:59 2016]
43: [Sun Jun 26 17:48:43 2016]
44: [Mon Jun 27 17:50:10 2016]
45: [Wed Jun 29 07:48:43 2016]
46: [Thu Jun 30 04:08:01 2016]
47: [Thu Jun 30 22:20:46 2016]

Yay.

I love and hate that my characters' IC responses to things that mean so much to them can affect me so deeply as to ruin my entire fucking night OOCly. It's not that often I get so invested in something.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

I love that you people play the people that my people suddenly hate...then grow to love...the hate with a burning passion...then tolerate.  And you play them so damn well!

The quality of your role-play is simply stunning.  Thank you for putting in the effort that you do and making this world as real as it is.

P.S. Someone who is really tech savvy find a way to make everyone who ever considered playing an RP game (our RP game, of course) read this thread.  Our player base will double.

Uhmmm... We are waiting to kill you. Not brighten your day.

Nice boots, btw.

I love when I mean to create a boring-ish throwaway character in between my 'Real' Pc's,  and they -immediately- get yanked into random fun, crazy shit that pretty much forces me to play the PC out to the end.

Quote from: WanderingOoze on July 06, 2016, 01:54:38 PM
I love when I mean to create a boring-ish throwaway character in between my 'Real' Pc's,  and they -immediately- get yanked into random fun, crazy shit that pretty much forces me to play the PC out to the end.

This.

And I love you, arm, for allowing my wacky creations to not only live, but thrife.
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Worth resurrecting this thread and this snippet in particular.

Thank you Armageddon for giving us such a wonderful, expertly crafted game.

Thank you to the staff and players who make it such an incredible place to spend time. For the commitment, love, care, and devotion.

Oooh, I missed this thread. Joy of the res...

Thank you, Arm, for giving me an outlet for my inner maniac. If not for you, I probably would have been on the evening news, armed with a head full of hallucinogens and a sword, laying waste to the county courthouse.

Also, for bone swordz and all of the lovers, friends, enemies, and the ever-enjoyable gift of being oppressed by an ancient totalitarian state.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Staff are really on the ball when it comes to applications and requests.

can confirm, I gave up playing EVE online altogether after committing 9+ years to it, so that I could have more time to play this text game.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

I miss this game, but the spark of inspiration has not returned yet.   :'(

Quote from: 650Booger on November 02, 2016, 09:21:00 AM
can confirm, I gave up playing EVE online altogether after committing 9+ years to it, so that I could have more time to play this text game.

I went the way of PvP in eve, and unfortunately, it hit a point where you'd spend hours looking for the good fights.  Sometimes you'd find them, sometimes you'd find disappointment, but overall, I too found the couple hour investment more worth it on Arm, even if I accomplish nothing.  You're just always contributing even by just looking for things to do.

Armageddon, you's my only friend. (Along with Abba-Zaba)

Spice always comes back to haunt you.  ;D

Ive just been having a really great time in game lately, I'm not 100% certain why, but things are just really clicking for me again
and it's great.

I mean, I've played pretty consistently, and always enjoy it to some degree. But That feeling of 'I realllllly don't want to log out, dang it!' Left me for awhile, but now its back. And it's great.

Quote from: WanderingOoze on November 29, 2016, 03:20:45 AM
Ive just been having a really great time in game lately, I'm not 100% certain why, but things are just really clicking for me again
and it's great.

I mean, I've played pretty consistently, and always enjoy it to some degree. But That feeling of 'I realllllly don't want to log out, dang it!' Left me for awhile, but now its back. And it's great.

While playing from work has really affected my schedule (I now only get to play during EST work hours) I still really am enjoying the game, as well. Its difficult, because sometimes I want to play at home, but that's when its girlfriend time, martial arts, catching up on TV, homework eventually, and all sorts of other responsibilities.

Worse comes when I get it all done, and I try to log in "for just an hour" late at night, an inevitably someone finds me despite it being the OPPOSITE of when I play, and its tough to log back out
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I know what you mean, Riev.

I have two types of playtime ...

The first is when I log on and I'm only partly playing. That's my crafting-grebbing-hunting time and I generally prefer to do it alone. Because I'll be at the keyboard for 5 minutes and then afk for 30.

Then when I have the time to focus I start throwing out the Ways to find any in-game friends and look for people to interact with.

I've been back for a while now, but god damn it feels good to be back.  I love this game.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC