Stolen information / A lengthy explanation long past due

Started by SleeplessinZalanthanas, April 22, 2016, 01:13:02 PM

Hi!  So I've been away from Armageddon for a long, long time.  Maybe 13 years or so, give or take a few, as things get a bit murky from when I stopped being active and when I stopped altogether.  Like many good things it was difficult for me to walk away until it was long past due.  Then this past weekend we rescued a puppy from a local shelter, and after a couple of sleepless nights (in Iowa, not Zalanthas, or Zalanthanas as my sleep deprived brain mistyped) I was up at approximately 1:30am taking puppy out to potty and I thought of this game.  I wondered if it was still going and if I would see any familiar faces.  So what the heck?  I checked and 'lo and behold it was still running!  Cool beans.

What was even cooler was that my old account (on the forum at least) was still active!  Neat!  But it seems that the Legends user group has restricted access that leaves me unable to post, read or send private messages, or really do anything except read access.  That was a bummer but, given my time away and my current time constraints, no big deal.  It is fun to reminisce, to see current discussions that have been rehashed for decades.  Banking problems?  Lack of players?  Half-giants that are both game-breaking and necessary to the game and how to handle them?  Ah, I remember many a late night discussing those topics.

But I digress...  As I was reading through discussions I came across Ness's open letter to the playerbase detailing the information that was stolen from Arm's private servers.  He mentioned that the information had been posted on non-sanctioned boards and sites.  So, naturally, I went to see what had been leaked.  That took me to a site that appears to be run by a bunch of malcontents.  I don't use that word in a pejorative sense, merely that they appear to have a gripe with how the Staff runs these forums and, quite possibly, the game.  Benny for them.  While I do think their appearance of obsessing over certain staff members is quite silly, and if they are really that disgruntled then they should really just walk away, at the same time they are free to obsess and feel slighted by whomever they want.  I just don't want to live my life as someone that sits on the sidelines and constantly picks nits and complains.  Sounds terrible to me.

Ugh, I digressed again.  Sorry.

Anyhow.  I went to their board and read a thread about the leak.  And the more I read the sadder I got.  A bit mad, but mostly sad.  Because they brought up the, "great 1999 codebase hack" or whatever it is referred to as, and mentioned that the person responsible for that also leaked the most recent information theft.

And that saddens me because I know the person.  Personally.  I lived with him for a year.  He was a friend of mine.  But I'll get to that in a moment because, quite frankly, I'm currently chuckling in amusement over the reaction at their forum when I posted a response on their thread.  I wish I had copy and pasted it but, alas, I didn't.  Here is my best recollection of what I posted on their forum:

QuoteSorry for being late to the party, but I can shed some light on the 1999 codebase hack/theft.  If Barta (editor's note: a user named Barta was listed in the thread as the person responsible) was indeed the one that released the 1999 code base, then his name is <name>.  He was not, as has been stated in this thread, given the password and account of a former staff member that was disgruntled.

In 1997 <name> and a staff member were roommates and good friends.  The lived together for approximately a year, and in 1998 the staff member moved out, got engaged, and married a couple of years later.  Before the staff member moved out <name> used the staff member's computer to download the complete game files and other information.  Probably the staff member's account information as well (security in the late 90s was not terribly good).  This was done without the staff member's knowledge nor consent.  At some point in 1999 (or thereabouts), for reasons known only to <name>, he decided to release what he had stolen.

Over the past decade plus <name> has attempted to apologize to the staff member, begging forgiveness.  And the staff member had been considering it.  If what has been posted is true, that <name> released the most recent information (since I know that he released the earlier information), then it strikes me as disingenuous that he's sorry and wants forgiveness.  One does not apologize and ask for forgiveness then go out and do the same thing again.

Now, I know that there are people on these forums that are upset at current and past staff members.  Whether it is because you did something wrong and were caught, or because you did something that was misunderstood, or maybe because the staff member was a dick.  I can state that in my time with the game I really cared about it, and the staff over the years has kept that constant; a love of the game.  Now, maybe their ideas of the game should be run, or what constitutes good administration differs from your view.  That's fine.  But if you don't like how things are done, or if you are that upset at someone in a game that has done something to you, just walk away from it.  Good lord.  At the end of the day you can do what you want, but I'd hope that people would just stop being dipshits.

Again, the above quote is not exact, but it is the sentiment that I posted on their forum.

A few hours later the post was deleted and my account was banned.  Huh.  That makes me chuckle.  A forum created by people upset at the, "tyranny" of the GDB and upset at being persecuted and mistreated by the staff feels justified at deleting my post and banning me because what, my information does not fit their narrative?  That everything that has been released wasn't because a someone with access to it decided they were fed up and wanted to go public with it, but because a staff member with access to it trusted his friend and roommate who stole that information from him?

Put the whole thing in a different light.  I guess they didn't like that.

Anyhow (is that 3 anyhows now?  I should count... Nope, only 2!), to shed more information on the sordid story, after the release of the information back in '99 <name> vehemently denied that he was the leaker.  And foolish as the staffer was (does anyone that is still reading really not know that the staffer was me?  I didn't think so), I believed him and defended him in private conversations with the rest of the staff.  Even when the evidence seemed pretty overwhelming that he was the one behind it.

It wasn't until years later that he admitted it to me, and explained to me how he had gotten that material off of my personal computer while we were roommates.  And he asked my forgiveness which I withheld.  

I failed to pass this information on.  The damage was done years prior and I was already inactive.  I did not see the need.  Not until I saw the post on the malcontent's board boasting that the original leaker had leaked again, and they were setting him up as some type of folk hero.  He had been given a former staffer's account!  That staffer consented to the dissemination of the private information for the good of all!  Hallelujah and pass the ammunition!

But it was a lie.  And given that just 3 months ago <name> had reached out to me, again, to ask my forgiveness.  And the really shitty part (of this entire turd sandwich) is that I miss my friend.  And a month later he does this again.  I can forgive quite easily stealing stuff from me.  That was nearly 20 years ago and I'm in a much, much better place now.  Water under the bridge.  But what is difficult for me is to use that information to attack and attempt to tear down the game system that I loved, and still love.  To attack the people that built it, that sustain it, that do all of it out of a love for the game.  Are they all perfect?  No.  Staff make mistakes.  Heck, some staff members are complete assholes.  We had a few back then and I'd be willing to bet there are a few now as well.  But you know what?  Life is full of them.  Learn to deal with it.  And if you can't deal with it just walk away.  It's a game.  A game.  Games are meant to be fun, both for the people playing it as well as the people administrating it.  And when it stops being fun, stop playing it.  Just walk away.  Don't try to tear it down because it isn't fun for you anymore, or you feel someone did something to you that wasn't kosher.  That is something that I have a hard time with.

When I learned the truth I was beyond livid.  I felt betrayed, I felt embarrassed, I felt used.  Those are awful things to feel and I recommend to everyone not to do this to another person.  It isn't pleasant.  At this time I was already on my way out of the game.  I was not active anymore because I living my life with my family.  I had other priorities.  While this revelation did not push me over the edge to leaving, it certainly was a factor.  Even today I feel awkward about having anything to do with the game given how, ultimately, I'm the reason for all of this.

And there it is.  My fault.  I trusted <name>, he let me down, and because of that the game now has information put out there that was never meant to be released.

For that, you have my apology.  Players, staff members past, current and future.  I'm sorry.

~ The Desert Wanderer

It's pretty hilarious that your post got deleted over there.  Thanks for that laugh. ;)

I'm sure Ginka forgives you.
Where it will go

It just basically confirms my suspicions that the worst offenders over there truly are the worst offenders. Banned, walked out, rage-quit, whatever the reason for their absence in Arm and on the GDB: Good riddance to bad rubbish and don't let the train door hit'em as they sally forth to the third rail.

For what it's worth Sleepless, the only thing to forgive is that you haven't started playing again yet :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 22, 2016, 02:14:15 PM
For what it's worth Sleepless, the only thing to forgive is that you haven't started playing again yet :)
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Or posted a pic of the puppy!
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on April 22, 2016, 02:17:28 PM

Or posted a pic of the puppy!

Yeah, that's true.  Puppies are adorable.
Where it will go

Oh the sweet sweet irony of them banning you and deleting your post.

wow

such exposition
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

This is like saying you're sorry because a drunk smashed his car into your parked car, like you feel bad your car was in the way to begin with.

Play with us once the game is back up yes?

Water. Under. The. Bridge.

<These aren't the droids you're looking for/>
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Sleepless -
Hey I just wanted to mention that I got your e-mail and have forwarded it along to the producers.  Nessalin is going to reply to you but he's been pretty consumed trying to bring the game back up - we're having some server issues (completely unrelated).

Also - hi - I've also met you IRL, perhaps we'll catch up soon.  ;-)

i find this whole situation funny to observe.

sleepless comes here, posts his story, explains the situation.

in the minds of the uneducated, non-indoctrinated masses, sleepless deleted his "own" post.

of course it will be said that yes indeed, he deleted it all on his own and certainly there is no way that they would attempt to silence someone who posts -actual facts- over there.

nahh.

better to say he deleted it.

some people deserve forgiveness. some people forgive easily.

but the cabbages do not forgive. we do not forget.

we are watching.

sorry you got fucked by a friend.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: seidhr on April 22, 2016, 02:57:06 PM
Sleepless -
Hey I just wanted to mention that I got your e-mail and have forwarded it along to the producers.  Nessalin is going to reply to you but he's been pretty consumed trying to bring the game back up - we're having some server issues (completely unrelated).

Also - hi - I've also met you IRL, perhaps we'll catch up soon.  ;-)

I appreciate that.  Though, honestly, it is no big deal.  I mentioned the account stuff just as back story.  I understand you all are busy, and right now things are chaotic with the server issue (I remember those days... whew, do I remember those days...).  I'm good and can wait.  I appreciate the reply though.  :)

And we've met?  Cool!  We'll definitely have to catch up when things settle down.

And, since people requested...

This is the monster that has been keeping me sleepless:

And sleeping next to his big sister:

OMG PUPPIES <3
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

"His post got deleted and he was banned for doxxing." - Jcarter

<name> isn't barka's real name.

It's interesting to hear this story, thanks. You don't have to feel bad about what happened.

But...

I know it's just a first name, and some people might say he was "asking for it" because of what he did, but it doesn't really sit right with me that we're using RL names that other people didn't reveal themselves. I mean, two wrongs don't make a right, you know?

Quote from: evilcabbage on April 22, 2016, 04:13:08 PM
<name> isn't barka's real name.

for beethoven

Oh, okay, I didn't see that.  Then I withdraw what I said; it's cool.

In the interest of erring on the side of caution I decided to redact what could possibly be barka's IRL first name from the thread. I left the original post otherwise intact. Although a first name is not much, we're a relatively small community and any bit of identifying information can be enough to expose someone (or even mis-identify someone as barka) without their consent.

They banned me for using the word 'kike' to illustrate how one may be offended by their flagrant use of the word 'faggot' to describe disliked Armageddon staff members.

As far as the sentiment of your post, I doubt anyone rational would blame you for what happened. Unfortunately not everyone qualifies as rational, which is kind of the reason why all this hullabaloo has happened in the first place.

Thank you for sharing.

I would rather have hydraulic fluid injected into my hands than type anything on that forum. It goes against so much of what this game is supposed to represent. The mystery, the secrets, the not knowing exactly why x does y until you see it first hand and everything is brought to light because of your own efforts.

Their need to have it all laid bare without any of their own effort is indicative of the purest form of laziness and entitlement. The scum of the earth.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.