Stolen information / A lengthy explanation long past due

Started by SleeplessinZalanthanas, April 22, 2016, 01:13:02 PM

The Jcarter Asylum's ability to attract batshit crazy people makes it one of my 'mind-resting' stop along with reddit and a few other gaming sites when I need a break from work-related stuff.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

As a mostly impartial observer nowadays, I can see the pros and cons of both forums.

It seems to me that jcarter's forum is a symptom of a growing problem with how the game was/is run.

In regards to OP, seems like you were banned for doxing. So, yeah. Maybe don't dox?

I would say that Armageddon definitely suffers from what I would call a "lack of 2016 realism", and in that regard, I've never felt guilty using their docs, maps and skill lists. I also feel that there's been small steps done to fix that in the official docs and in the gameplay, but certainly not enough to bring me back when I know that I'd have to dedicate immense hours of my life that I don't have anymore to be able to "enjoy" the game, at least at the level that I find enjoyable.

The Jcarter Asylum is still a pretty funny read though, even if I don't play anymore, especially when the local wack packers go on a paranoia binge.

(I reserve the name Medicated Malken for that forum, if I ever return there one day)

Quote from: Malken on April 24, 2016, 06:04:39 PM
I would say that Armageddon definitely suffers from what I would call a "lack of 2016 realism", and in that regard, I've never felt guilty using their docs, maps and skill lists. I also feel that there's been small steps done to fix that in the official docs and in the gameplay, but certainly not enough to bring me back when I know that I'd have to dedicate immense hours of my life that I don't have anymore to be able to "enjoy" the game, at least at the level that I find enjoyable.

The Jcarter Asylum is still a pretty funny read though, even if I don't play anymore, especially when the local wack packers go on a paranoia binge.

(I reserve the name Medicated Malken for that forum, if I ever return there one day)

I'm a bit curious. Are you saying having the entirety of the game mapped out is the realism of 2016?

If so... Lord. I'm stuck in 2015 or earlier.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

April 24, 2016, 06:12:20 PM #80 Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 06:27:23 PM by evilcabbage
Quote from: Rhyden on April 24, 2016, 05:25:14 PM
As a mostly impartial observer nowadays, I can see the pros and cons of both forums.

It seems to me that jcarter's forum is a symptom of a growing problem with how the game was/is run.

In regards to OP, seems like you were banned for doxing. So, yeah. Maybe don't dox?

"Doxing" is a neologism that has evolved over its brief history. It comes from a spelling alteration of the abbreviation "docs" (for "documents") and refers to "compiling and releasing a dossier of personal information on someone".[9] Essentially, doxing is openly revealing and publicizing records of an individual, which were previously private or difficult to obtain.

so, going by that definition... saying that his old roommates name is "timmy' really is not doxing, because a) that information probably is not difficult to obtain, and b) he never published -records- of the person. he gave a name (timmy) which is as common as larry or john or george.

get real.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

evilcabbage, regardless of what you think of the name drop, Nergal censored it so you should probably not use it.

Quote from: BrokenRomance on April 24, 2016, 06:11:06 PM
I'm a bit curious. Are you saying having the entirety of the game mapped out is the realism of 2016?

If so... Lord. I'm stuck in 2015 or earlier.

No, gaming realism of 2016 is not having to spend an insane amount of hours a day to achieve decent skill levels on a character that risks dying at any moment and having to constantly re-start that process over and over again. Any tools that will allow me to enjoy a decent character for a decent amount of time in the least amount of time played is cool with me and fits well with my ever-diminishing time to put in a game. I understand that there are people with plenty more time than me or who strive on that sort of virtual sadicism (hey, I did too at one time in my life!) but I also feel like this amount of people with that amount of time to dedicate to -one- game is on a steep descending curve.

Again, I'm not trying to change anything because I understand that there are some steps taken to take care of such problems, but I'm mostly chitchattin' it up as to why that other forum had some decent tools for me to use back in the days, and I don't feel an ounce of guilt about using them.

The lack of tools that the game offers new players and old players alike to make their stay in the game slightly more pleasant is what got me there in the first place, the wack packers is what keeps me going back.

Burble was my iscaBBS handle.
Probably before the OPs time though.

Quote from: evilcabbage on April 24, 2016, 06:12:20 PM

"Doxing" is a neologism that has evolved over its brief history. It comes from a spelling alteration of the abbreviation "docs" (for "documents") and refers to "compiling and releasing a dossier of personal information on someone".[9] Essentially, doxing is openly revealing and publicizing records of an individual, which were previously private or difficult to obtain.

so, going by that definition... saying that his old roommates name is "timmy' really is not doxing, because a) that information probably is not difficult to obtain, and b) he never published -records- of the person. he gave a name (timmy) which is as common as larry or john or george.

get real.

So you're saying it is ok to reveal IRL information about players?

Are you also saying it's ok to reveal IC information about the game?

Not meant as a strawman. I'm genuinely curious. Thanks.

So he posts about a guy and gives him a name. And the other place bans him for doxing. Except - he didn't give the guy's real name. So there was no doxing, no matter how you interpret the term.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I don't think we need to be arguing about the definition of doxxing to this extent. We're a small community, and it's just good manners on the internet to allow people as much or as little anonymity as they desire...first names included. What does or does not constitute 'doxxing' has pretty much nothing to do with it.

(also if we're sending out champions for something can i be picked?)
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on April 24, 2016, 07:59:39 PM
I don't think we need to be arguing about the definition of doxxing to this extent. We're a small community, and it's just good manners on the internet to allow people as much or as little anonymity as they desire...first names included. What does or does not constitute 'doxxing' has pretty much nothing to do with it.

Agreed that anonymity is a good thing.

That's why it makes no sense to ban someone for posting a fake name.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

We call them raiders, get with the program LAURA.

Doxxed.

;D

Quote from: Malken on April 24, 2016, 08:01:33 PM

We call them raiders, get with the program LAURA.

Doxxed.

;D
Banned

Quote from: Lizzie on April 24, 2016, 08:01:04 PMThat's why it makes no sense to ban someone for posting a fake name.

I don't see where in the OP it was clearly stated the name was fake but you know.

Malken its ok that you doxxed me bro*, I believe in the greater good of humanity and that nobody from here (or there, for that matter) is going to show up at my doorstep with a fire axe and no pants.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv_Au-6lZ5w
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on April 24, 2016, 08:10:24 PM
I don't see where in the OP it was clearly stated the name was fake but you know.

His name is Robert Paulson.

Meme'd.

I'm going to lock this thread now. This is nothing against the OP, or the original intent of this thread. It's not to be seen as a blanket punishment, but rather, an end to a discussion that has gone off the rails, with a final word.

The OP's point has been made. People have used something mentioned as an aside in the post to gloat and showboat. I also stated earlier in the thread that I preferred that names not be used.

In our community, and life in general, there is the concept of being the bigger person. Admitting to something you feel is your fault, in a way (as was the main point of the OP) is an example of that. In practice, this relates to staff's preference that players don't bash other MUDs on the GDB, for example. The concept of being the bigger person is well-established and fairly strong here. Or at least it's supposed to be. Whether it is anymore is up for debate, now. Complaining about other forums here is not being the bigger person. Nor is it being the bigger person when you go off to troll another forum in the name of one you are "loyal" to.

I recommend that everyone consider the following: treat rudeness as if it never happened, because it never should have. That is fair advice here, I think, and in life in general. Jcarter's forum is, ostensibly, rude. But let's not pretend that many active players haven't looked at it at least once, if not regularly read it, if not actively participate on it. Let's not pretend Jcarter's forum didn't have a spike in new accounts as soon as the wiki leaked, because you need an account to download ProBoards attachments. Regardless of whether they're rude hypocrites or not, the least you all could do is not be exactly the same.

EDIT to add: it's also more than a little pathetic that more people here read Jcarter's forum than, say, vote for the game on TMS and TMC. You know, something that would actually be beneficial to the game.

If you care that much, then stop it already. Clearly, lamenting here isn't going to do anything. So just treat it like it never happened, and ignore it.