Stolen information / A lengthy explanation long past due

Started by SleeplessinZalanthanas, April 22, 2016, 01:13:02 PM

Quote from: Beethoven on April 22, 2016, 04:29:59 PM
I know it's just a first name, and some people might say he was "asking for it" because of what he did, but it doesn't really sit right with me that we're using RL names that other people didn't reveal themselves. I mean, two wrongs don't make a right, you know?

In my opinion, it's ok.  I'm on a first name basis with him.  ;)

Maybe things have changed (I sure they have) in the years since I was here last, but a first name on a forum?  Good lord.  I suppose I could have used his old iscaBBS handle, "Giggles."  Show of hands, how many remember iscaBBS?

I'd list off characters he used to play but, frankly, I don't remember them.  I have a hard enough time remembering my old characters (though, I do have a fondness for the Blackwing elf I ran, go figure.  He'd probably be about eleventy-billion years old by now).

To me, I'd think his first name would be much less of an identifier than any of his online handles.  Which is why I used it.  If he's still around and causing trouble then he'll read my comments.  If I am wrong (and I'm not, btw), then he's disappeared from the community long ago and no harm no foul.

Finally...

Quote from: evilcabbage on April 22, 2016, 04:13:08 PM
<name> isn't barka's real name.

Whether "barta" is him or one of his new buddies isn't really relevant.  Internet names change like the wind; Lord knows I've had my fair share over the years, though I've lately tended to gravitate towards a select few that I'm known by.

It makes no difference to me if the barta character was given the info from my roommate after he took it from me (ie., they are different people), or whether they are one and the same, it makes no difference in the end to me.  What matters is where the information originated.  It was not freely obtained which was the point of the prattle on that forum, and that is what I took umbrage at.  I can steal a car and give it to someone on the street.  It is freely given, sure.  But it is still stolen goods.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 22, 2016, 04:11:50 PM
"His post got deleted and he was banned for doxxing." - Jcarter
The hell does doxxing mean?
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Iiyola on April 22, 2016, 07:27:58 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 22, 2016, 04:11:50 PM
"His post got deleted and he was banned for doxxing." - Jcarter
The hell does doxxing mean?

It's when someone gives information on another person online.

Like if I were to find out your real name or phone number or something and let everyone here know.

Just FYI for you DW: I think you're misreading what you were reading. It was barka with a k, not barta with a t. There is no barta with a t anywhere in any of either of the fora.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Basically. Giving out someones first name is not Doxxing. You have to be giving out personal information for the specific purpose of letting others do bad things with it for it or doing bad things with it yourself. In this context it's hilarious considering the topic that started it. Which is that staff members had information that could actually affect them released. Jcarter is cogent enough to realize THAT isn't doxxing(though it was a fuck of a lot closer.) But suddenly this is? You don't get it both ways.

Part of me wants to go check said place out, but another part of me is extremely sure within fifteen minutes I'd be banned.

That's a pretty bad twist of the dagger in an old wound though. Does said person not realise the Murder, Corruption, Betrayal thing is about the game, not the friendships you make off of it?

I'd sure as blazes not even dignify him with a [REDACTED] you, much less forgiveness.

Hope to see you amongst us again soon. Stay strong, friend.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

If you are the Legend that has been online for the past couple of days with 0 posts, welcome back! You left shortly before I joined, but I only heard epic things.

Sorry your first post back had to be this one.

I'm a bit confused as to how you're sure the person who did the release is your roommate. Mind clarifying?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 22, 2016, 09:03:38 PM
I'm a bit confused as to how you're sure the person who did the release is your roommate. Mind clarifying?

Was, not is.

The first release (~ 1999) I am certain because not only did he pop up as one of the head admins of the rival mud (that used the stolen Arm code base, though he denied he had anything to do with it other than "he was asked to be an admin"), but as I mentioned, a few years after the release he confessed to me about stealing the files from my computer.  And he's spent the past decade plus asking me to forgive him.  From facebook IMs, to e-mails, to asking my wife to talk with me (funny enough, I met my wife because of him as they were neighbors when I moved in with him).  The latest message I received was in January of this year.

This most recent release?  I'm not.  Except that when I did the searching on the other board it was stated explicitly that the one who released it back then released it now.  And the coincidence of him trying to apologize to me, again, a month before another release?  It just smacks to me of more than just a coincidence.  To me it sounds either like, "Ok, you won't forgive me, then I'll do it again!" or that he knew it was coming (a fellow malcontent that he gave the files to was preparing to release them) and wanted to clear the air between us so that he could plausibly deny any part of it when it happened.  Neither scenario plays well for me.  If you're sorry, truly sorry, then you don't do it again regardless of the circumstances.  And if you knew it was coming then you should have put a stop to it.  That would have been the right thing to do.

Anyways, there may be multiple people with the information (well, now that it is public there are certainly many people with their hands on it).  But it came from a single source.  And from the appearance of things, he's done nothing to keep those files safe since stealing them from me.

Quote from: SleeplessinZalanthanas on April 22, 2016, 09:49:56 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 22, 2016, 09:03:38 PM
Except that when I did the searching on the other board it was stated explicitly that the one who released it back then released it now.  And the coincidence of him trying to apologize to me, again, a month before another release?  It just smacks to me of more than just a coincidence.  To me it sounds either like, "Ok, you won't forgive me, then I'll do it again!" or that he knew it was coming (a fellow malcontent that he gave the files to was preparing to release them) and wanted to clear the air between us so that he could plausibly deny any part of it when it happened.  Neither scenario plays well for me.  If you're sorry, truly sorry, then you don't do it again regardless of the circumstances.  And if you knew it was coming then you should have put a stop to it.  That would have been the right thing to do.

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

I just want to come clean about something and display some transparency to the community.

my first name in real life....is laura
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

What she said...but my name is not Laura.
I'd rather be lucky than good.

Quote from: BrokenRomance on April 22, 2016, 08:54:13 PM
Part of me wants to go check said place out, but another part of me is extremely sure within fifteen minutes I'd be banned.

Don't bother, you are saving yourself by not going over there. I could easily see them as ruining the "Arm Experience" for new players.

I have been around a long time and when I heard about the 'other boards' I became curious and checked it out. I've read there a few times but never posted anything. IMO it is full of a bunch of bitter entitlement brats who generally post nothing but misinfo and pass it off as fact. I admit some of their information is valid but the vast majority is just garbage. After reading some posts it is rather easy to see why many of them have been banned or punished. There is one particular female on there who claims to be an ex-staff member who they seem to place on a pedestal for some reason which is ironic because most of the 'spoilers' that she posts are incorrect.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

You guys better stop posting about it.  You're obviously just trying to earn karma.  You have no opinion of your own, you are now officially a staff sycophant for disagreeing with their shit.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on April 22, 2016, 11:02:04 PM
Quote from: BrokenRomance on April 22, 2016, 08:54:13 PM

Don't bother, you are saving yourself by not going over there. I could easily see them as ruining the "Arm Experience" for new players.

I have been around a long time and when I heard about the 'other boards' I became curious and checked it out. I've read there a few times but never posted anything. IMO it is full of a bunch of bitter entitlement brats who generally post nothing but misinfo and pass it off as fact. I admit some of their information is valid but the vast majority is just garbage. After reading some posts it is rather easy to see why many of them have been banned or punished. There is one particular female on there who claims to be an ex-staff member who they seem to place on a pedestal for some reason which is ironic because most of the 'spoilers' that she posts are incorrect.

If they spoil a lot of the game, I probably won't go anyway. I've played for about six months now and I've found not knowing what comes next is pretty nifty. Work hard without realising it and suddenly five new skills? That's some hot stuff right there to me.

Now... If the examples in the helpfiles were more clear....
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

April 23, 2016, 04:38:48 AM #40 Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 04:41:10 AM by Coat of Arms
The thread on the other forum got deleted because you posted the person's fucking RL name.

People do not get banned on the shadowboard for "having the wrong opinion." Suggesting any such thing is ridiculous in the extreme, because that forum is specifically defined by the fact that you can say anything you want and nobody will silence you. Unless you fucking post someone's RL name like an idiot.

Well done. And well done, Armageddon community, for pettily uniting over a false pretense once more in a way that frankly disgraces you.

Quote from: Coat of Arms on April 23, 2016, 04:38:48 AM
The thread on the other forum got deleted because you posted the person's fucking RL name.

People do not get banned on the shadowboard for "having the wrong opinion." Suggesting any such thing is ridiculous in the extreme, because that forum is specifically defined by the fact that you can say anything you want and nobody will silence you. Unless you fucking post someone's RL name like an idiot.

Well done. And well done, Armageddon community, for pettily uniting over a false pretense once more in a way that frankly disgraces you.
Yes it was the whole community united in pettiness, unlike

a certain group of malcontents who no longer

we are playing the finish the sentence game right?
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Right, I'm sure that is the reason.  Because deleting a post and banning a user for posting a first name (but no last name, no phone number, nothing that could identify the person) while posting a dossier filled with staff members names and phone numbers makes sense?

Whatever makes you sleep at night.  I'm still chuckling over it.  I could see editing the post to remove the first name (again, really?  First name?).  I could maybe see deleting the entire post (again, really?  For a first name?).  But a user ban and a site ban (I cannot even log in with a guest account, I have to use a proxy server to get to the forum now which, frankly, is too much work)?

Wow.  I'm surprised I wasn't turned in to the FBI, because obviously a first name is some type of crime that ranks up there with pedophilia.  Gotta ban that shit right now!  No email explanation, no censoring of the post, just make it all disappear!  Burn it with fire!  OMG, it's like the type of mass hysteria that only results from dogs and cats living together!

So yes, I'm sure the reason was because I broke the cardinal, unforgivable sin of posting the first name of someone that I know personally.  Yeah, that has to be it.  Because the punishment fits the crime.

And I'm the goblin king.

Quote from: SleeplessinZalanthanas on April 23, 2016, 07:33:40 AM

Right, I'm sure that is the reason.  Because deleting a post and banning a user for posting a first name (but no last name, no phone number, nothing that could identify the person) while posting a dossier filled with staff members names and phone numbers makes sense?

Whatever makes you sleep at night.  I'm still chuckling over it.  I could see editing the post to remove the first name (again, really?  First name?).  I could maybe see deleting the entire post (again, really?  For a first name?).  But a user ban and a site ban (I cannot even log in with a guest account, I have to use a proxy server to get to the forum now which, frankly, is too much work)?

Wow.  I'm surprised I wasn't turned in to the FBI, because obviously a first name is some type of crime that ranks up there with pedophilia.  Gotta ban that shit right now!  No email explanation, no censoring of the post, just make it all disappear!  Burn it with fire!  OMG, it's like the type of mass hysteria that only results from dogs and cats living together!

So yes, I'm sure the reason was because I broke the cardinal, unforgivable sin of posting the first name of someone that I know personally.  Yeah, that has to be it.  Because the punishment fits the crime.

And I'm the goblin king.

is that you david bowie?
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Ack!  No personally identifiable information!  Ban him now!!!

I always did love that hairdo on you.

#jareth4eva
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

The thread on the other forum got deleted because you posted the person's fucking RL FAKE name.

People do not get banned on the shadowboard for "having the wrong opinion." Suggesting any such thing is ridiculous in the extreme, because that forum is specifically defined by the fact that you can say anything you want ruin plots and pettily unite over false pretenses in disgracing ways and nobody will silence you. Unless you fucking post someone's RL FAKE name like an idiot considerate person.

ftfy.

I do love it when people be like...
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."