Stolen information / A lengthy explanation long past due

Started by SleeplessinZalanthanas, April 22, 2016, 01:13:02 PM

I see my work has already been completed here, with no risk of me being banned.

I love you guys.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

You guys are giving waaaaaay too much food to a bunch of trolls that live somewhere under a bridge and are only having an impact on your life and experience if you allow them to.

Quote from: Coat of Arms on April 23, 2016, 04:38:48 AM
People do not get banned on the shadowboard for "having the wrong opinion." Suggesting any such thing is ridiculous in the extreme, because that forum is specifically defined by the fact that you can say anything you want and nobody will silence you. Unless you fucking post someone's RL name like an idiot.

Suggesting that posting someones first name is worthy of a ban is ridiculous in the extreme. Also, suggesting that the OP of this thread wasn't banned because of his opinion is a bit ridiculous don't you think? JCarter would not have banned any one of the people who consistently post there and agree with him on a regular basis had they posted someones first name... JCarter has already stated why he banned the OP:

Quote from: prime minister sinister"Honestly, I think banning the guy outright was a bit much.

On the other hand, however, I wouldn't take kindly to someone trying to stir the pot after the dust settled like that either."

Quote from: JCarter in response to the above. Emphasis mine.
i honestly don't want to deal with every retard that signs up here. that's the simple truth of it. i don't care about defending barka's honor or the reputation of the board because it's a video game who gives a shit. armers will win a war of attrition with me because they have nothing better to do with their time. the number of arm players who get so righteously up in arms over people existing on the internet and decide they gotta show them fellas what's-what by registering over here and just trying to stir the pot demonstrates it...

I guess I don't really get why we're now making this about jcarter's board. I personally don't care what is posted there and who is banned from there and what they say, right or wrong. If there is another incident like the one alluded to in the OP then okay, I get why we would want to/need to talk about it. Otherwise I say just let them have their forum and we'll have ours.

April 23, 2016, 02:31:40 PM #54 Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 02:41:00 PM by Desertman
I had a conversation with JCarter in regards to the leaked information at one point through his forums. I urged him to not post the information with the understanding that there was nothing I could do in order to prevent it.

I explained to him that if the information was obtained via unsavory means and not through a past staffer who had direct access to the information then he had an obligation in regards to the data.

Posting it, if the information were obtained in any way that may be considered nefarious and/or dishonest would mean that his forums would indirectly be promoting the use of nefarious tactics to obtain information from the Armageddon game/staff to post.

JCarter assured me that he had confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt in every single regard that the information came from a past staffer who had been given access to the information and NOT through any means of hacking and/or nefarious theft. Basically, he confirmed that the information came first hand from a past disgruntled staffer and that was the only reason he would post it.

He agreed with me that if the information had been obtained through nefarious means and not through direct granted access by Armageddon staff that he wouldn't publish it himself.

He agreed that he wouldn't want himself or his forums to be seen as promoting the act of using nefarious and/or dishonest tactics to obtain information to be published on his forums, as that would make his forums indirectly a party to said actions.

I believe that at that time HE believed that the information was coming from a past staffer who had been given access to the information. I think he really did think that....at that time.

Now that we all know the truth, and he does as well, I will expect in short order he will be taking down said information, since he agrees he shouldn't publish things that are obtained through a nefarious manner.

We will see.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I don't think it matters how a forum admin of another forum runs their forum. The context of the OP mentions it as an aside. The main topic of the post is entirely separate from that. If you don't like how a forum is run (whether it's the GDB or any other forum), you ought to contact the forum admin directly instead of posting about it here.

Let's try to stay in between the lines here and focus on the main point of the post.

sorry.

i tried to do that.

i am going to withdraw from this topic.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Meh.

This is very mild, considering that the majority of the conversation on said other-board consists of picking and choosing which person, topic, or ideology to hate on for whatever reason they decide at the time.  It's not exactly 'food for thought' discussions over there...it's all very reactionary and inflammatory towards whoever they want.  At this point we've had...a couple threads where people were more vocal about them?  I would hope they've got the thick skin to be able to deal with some people being able to say what they want.  Otherwise there's that whole phrase about glass houses and stones, etc etc.  But the things said just really don't compare...because we are moderated, and they are not.  (generally).

As far as the original topic...it's a good story.  I don't particularly care about it.  The only way that this has affected me is some shit that I read online while eating popcorn.  I don't know why it got you banned over there.  I don't particularly care.  My game goes on.  My community goes on.

I do think you should play arm again.  Because why not?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: evilcabbage on April 23, 2016, 02:40:19 PM
i am going to withdraw from this topic.

Under the fear of being doxxed, huh?  JS?!  You're in deep, cabbage dude.   :-*
Where it will go

I think the Us and Them stuff between the two forums is childish. Just play the game and have fun, and this random tl;dr OP isn't relevant to that (or really anything).

A champion should be nominated from each forum and they should wrestle to prove who has the highest internet dong
Part-Time Internets Lady

On the one hand, I'll admit my general reaction to this entire thread, starting with the OP (aside from Puppies <3) is

On the other hand, I'm still occasionally stung with guilt over quitting Everquest while my character had a full suit of high-level clan-supplied gear on him that I never gave back. Sorry, Dark Legion. So I can appreciate the want for getting that off your chest. If that's what this thread's originally about.

The sad truth is I've beaten all the games on my phone.
Where it will go

Quote from: Case on April 23, 2016, 07:17:58 PM
I think the Us and Them stuff between the two forums is childish. Just play the game and have fun, and this random tl;dr OP isn't relevant to that (or really anything).

+1

It's hard not to fall into an us vs them mentality, when the point of their community is to damage ours. Aside from the vitriol and their posting stolen information (maliciously, I mean clearly maliciously) they started out posting information that's against the rules to give out. The original point of their community is to say crappy things about ours and help people cheat.

Us vs them is kind of the default position.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on April 24, 2016, 12:04:40 AM
It's hard not to fall into an us vs them mentality, when the point of their community is to damage ours. Aside from the vitriol and their posting stolen information (maliciously, I mean clearly maliciously) they started out posting information that's against the rules to give out. The original point of their community is to say crappy things about ours and help people cheat.

Nothing that wasn't on IM before.

April 24, 2016, 12:44:28 AM #66 Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 05:24:21 AM by Armaddict
Quote from: Case on April 24, 2016, 12:34:23 AM

Which is their default position as well.  If you really want to contend that there's no difference between the two, i.e. Nothing different between 8-10 people talking about their various exposures to a plot or bashing on a persona or character on a public forum and two people who dislike someone talking about how they dislike someone in a private conversation, I can't really help you.

Edit after Case's reply:  Sorry.  That was a pretty dickish way to put it across.  I meant that the difference between the two is pretty drastic and self-evident to me.  That would have been a better thing to say.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on April 24, 2016, 12:44:28 AM
Quote from: Case on April 24, 2016, 12:34:23 AM

Which is their default position as well.  If you really want to contend that there's no difference between the two, i.e. Nothing different between 8-10 people talking about their various exposures to a plot or bashing on a persona or character on a public forum and two people who dislike someone talking about how they dislike someone in a private conversation, I can't really help you.
I didn't contend that at all, but thank you for the attempted help I suppose.

Quote from: QuillDipper on April 23, 2016, 07:24:35 PM
A champion should be nominated from each forum and they should wrestle to prove who has the highest internet dong

I volunteer for tribute.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Forgive. Forget. Play on. Repeat as necessary.

And I have looked at those other forums. It was like looking down the hole of an outdoor privy. Not recommended.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quote from: Chettaman on April 24, 2016, 02:34:36 AM

I volunteer for tribute.
Dude no I nominate Albie or some other beast dude to be our champion.

I volunteer for tribute.

Bro aren't you like our token black guy? We can't risk you.  ;D
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on April 24, 2016, 05:30:03 AM

I volunteer for tribute.

Nah man, there's Venomz too.  We are totally racially diverse like a motherfucker.  Oh and Case, who is a 60 year old man who is just very good at cosplay.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on April 24, 2016, 05:45:17 AM
Quote from: Majikal on April 24, 2016, 05:30:03 AM

I volunteer for tribute.

Nah man, there's Venomz too.  We are totally racially diverse like a motherfucker.  Oh and Case, who is a 60 year old man who is just very good at cosplay.
All jews grow up to be Bernie Sanders

Quote from: BadSkeelz on April 23, 2016, 07:25:41 PM
On the one hand, I'll admit my general reaction to this entire thread, starting with the OP (aside from Puppies <3) is

On the other hand, I'm still occasionally stung with guilt over quitting Everquest while my character had a full suit of high-level clan-supplied gear on him that I never gave back. Sorry, Dark Legion. So I can appreciate the want for getting that off your chest. If that's what this thread's originally about.

Mine is more like

But the puppies delivered.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.