Code Suggestion: Tents big enough for at least one mount.

Started by Asmoth, January 19, 2016, 01:28:09 AM

Not so much to stop that D-elf from stealing your mount while you're in it.  But to aid in their regen of stamina so I can ride them longer and harder...

That sounded dirtier than I intended.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

If I recall correctly, if you rest your mount you can keep ahold of the reins while you're in the tent. There are mount types that can practically cross the known with a single rest (the civilized part of it), although some tire more quickly than others. I'm not really sure ride needs to be more buff than it already is, if anything, it needs a nerf, but that's just my personal opinion. I'm kind of unsure of the effects that this would have, as most of my PCs travel on foot (with, of course, something to pack all the juicy bits they pick up along the way on, though, those beasts tire a bit slower). With skills like charge and trample, coupled with combat buffs at higher ride levels, eeeehhhhh, I'm ambivalent, just my thoughts on the matter.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on January 19, 2016, 04:56:39 AM
If I recall correctly, if you rest your mount you can keep ahold of the reins while you're in the tent. There are mount types that can practically cross the known with a single rest (the civilized part of it), although some tire more quickly than others. I'm not really sure ride needs to be more buff than it already is, if anything, it needs a nerf, but that's just my personal opinion. I'm kind of unsure of the effects that this would have, as most of my PCs travel on foot (with, of course, something to pack all the juicy bits they pick up along the way on, though, those beasts tire a bit slower). With skills like charge and trample, coupled with combat buffs at higher ride levels, eeeehhhhh, I'm ambivalent, just my thoughts on the matter.
Yes you do technically still have the reins but either a bug or a feature allows you to lead and mount the mount regardless.

When I played a desert elf I was always stealing mounts this way.  Think my record is five stolen while their owner slept or rested in a tent.

There are other rooms as well where you codedly don't lose the reins, but since you're not in the room, people can still make off with your mount.

But it would still be nice to have a tent to share your mount in afte that run from a Mek or Bahamet etc.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

Quote from: Asmoth on January 19, 2016, 05:13:57 AM
Yes you do technically still have the reins but either a bug or a feature allows you to lead and mount the mount regardless.

When I played a desert elf I was always stealing mounts this way.  Think my record is five stolen while their owner slept or rested in a tent.

There are other rooms as well where you codedly don't lose the reins, but since you're not in the room, people can still make off with your mount.

But it would still be nice to have a tent to share your mount in afte that run from a Mek or Bahamet etc.

That's just a risk you have to take when you travel. Personally I think that if you are sleeping, it is not believable that no one can untangle the reins from your grip and steal your mount even if it's right next to you. They can steal everything you're wearing - but they can't steal your mount?

If you're worried about people stealing your mount, make use of that code that makes no sense. Rest next to your mount without a tent and accept the risk of hunger/thirst. If you're worried about you needing to rest, then accept a risk of theft of your mount.

Or you could play a mage that is able to make accommodations for both - and risk getting caught being a mage.

Travel shouldn't be effortless, and it shouldn't be without risk.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

If a tent was big enough for your mount to be resting in it, presumably large enough for an inix to get in and out of, wouldn't this be the size of a small circus tent?  I don't figure you'd want to carry this enormous (and very heavy) tent with you.  Tents are already fifteen to twenty stones.  One that comfortably fits something like an inix...how big would that be?  Twice as big?  Where are you going to keep this forty stone tent?

Like Lizzie said, travel shouldn't be effortless and it shouldn't be without risk.  Part of traveling across a desert world and back in 140F temperatures in a single day is having to rest your small dinosaur, or your enormous beetle.

If I recall correctly, if you rest your mount you can keep ahold of the reins while you're in the tent.

Yes...it's a bug.   As I found out when my beetle loaded down with a couple large of gear and loot was taken from my very hands!  At least I thought I had hold of it.  I was keeping an eye out every few seconds and got out fast enough to see the guy riding away on his beetle with my beetle in tow, but after a couple of rooms of chase I knew I'd no chance of keeping up and went back to my tent. 

Tents are so heavy already, I think such large tents would be unmanageable and require a team of slaves to raise.  As nice as it would be to have!

*shakes his head from the listening ledge*
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: Refugee on January 19, 2016, 10:01:32 AM
If I recall correctly, if you rest your mount you can keep ahold of the reins while you're in the tent.

Yes...it's a bug.   As I found out when my beetle loaded down with a couple large of gear and loot was taken from my very hands!  At least I thought I had hold of it.  I was keeping an eye out every few seconds and got out fast enough to see the guy riding away on his beetle with my beetle in tow, but after a couple of rooms of chase I knew I'd no chance of keeping up and went back to my tent. 

Tents are so heavy already, I think such large tents would be unmanageable and require a team of slaves to raise.  As nice as it would be to have!

Huh. The only time my mount's ever been stolen from me was when a mullish raider took a mace to my breeds neck, then just whistled a tune, took the reigns (and my cloak and a small list of items) and made off, as the breed lay unconscious on the salt with 8 hp.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: manipura on January 19, 2016, 09:44:54 AM
If a tent was big enough for your mount to be resting in it, presumably large enough for an inix to get in and out of, wouldn't this be the size of a small circus tent?  I don't figure you'd want to carry this enormous (and very heavy) tent with you.  Tents are already fifteen to twenty stones.  One that comfortably fits something like an inix...how big would that be?  Twice as big?  Where are you going to keep this forty stone tent?

This is what I was trying to think of a way to articulate.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Lizzie on January 19, 2016, 07:21:40 AM
Quote from: Asmoth on January 19, 2016, 05:13:57 AM

When I played a desert elf I was always stealing mounts this way.  Think my record is five stolen while their owner slept or rested in a tent.

That's just a risk you have to take when you travel. Personally I think that if you are sleeping, it is not believable that no one can untangle the reins from your grip and steal your mount even if it's right next to you. They can steal everything you're wearing - but they can't steal your mount?

If you're worried about people stealing your mount, make use of that code that makes no sense. Rest next to your mount without a tent and accept the risk of hunger/thirst. If you're worried about you needing to rest, then accept a risk of theft of your mount.

Or you could play a mage that is able to make accommodations for both - and risk getting caught being a mage.

Travel shouldn't be effortless, and it shouldn't be without risk.
Quote from: manipura on January 19, 2016, 09:44:54 AM

Like Lizzie said, travel shouldn't be effortless and it shouldn't be without risk.  Part of traveling across a desert world and back in 140F temperatures in a single day is having to rest your small dinosaur, or your enormous beetle.
I understand all these points but will trump them by saying that when I played with the byn in a time of TONS of bynners, we once had about ten grown ass big Zalanthas men in a tent.

So if that many guys can fit in a tent, pretty sure my war beetle could.

And this isn't about making travel easy by any means, it's just about dealing with stupidly slow mount regen rates.

You know, your unverified anecdote really swayed me on this. Let's get some 5-stone circus tents up in this bitch.

Waiting for a mount to rest up can be a huge hassle, especially when out in the middle of nowhere and the weather is bad. I've had to wait a full day or more before a mount was rested enough to ride back to where I came from. It be good if there were some way to make mounts more manageable so they aren't suddenly useless, requiring so much down time.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on January 19, 2016, 11:36:56 AM
Waiting for a mount to rest up can be a huge hassle, especially when out in the middle of nowhere and the weather is bad. I've had to wait a full day or more before a mount was rested enough to ride back to where I came from. It be good if there were some way to make mounts more manageable so they aren't suddenly useless, requiring so much down time.

#thanksmagickers
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: Molten Heart on January 19, 2016, 11:36:56 AM
This...

I've had times I had to run from something a good distance and tire out my mount.

Left it to scout the area, taking the huge stamina hit every room I walked around and got back Very Tired.

Sat down next to it to rest and I have rested faster than my mount, which is native to the outdoors.

Think about that, it's like I have a camel in the real world which is designed for desert travel, but I can walk seventeen miles in the desert and just sit Indian style for ten minutes and be not tired anymore, while my camel is panting and exhausted... WTF.

Quote from: MeTekillot on January 19, 2016, 11:32:05 AM
You know, your unverified anecdote really swayed me on this. Let's get some 5-stone circus tents up in this bitch.

An enormous but lightweight striped tent is here, the sounds of exhausted critters and men filtering out.
An average man stands outside the tent's entrance,  training listen.

As for resting mounts, I just see it as something that needs to be done.  Are you stopping to let your mount eat and drink?  Or are you riding it until it's exhausted?  Are you finding a suitable place for it to rest (out of a storm or in the shade) ?  Maybe don't push it until it's exhausted, leaving it useless and leaving you no other choice but to sit in the middle of a Zalanthan sandstorm.

Yeah, a camel is designed for desert travel.  Is a huge inix designed for desert travel, or a beetle?  Just because we ride then across the world three times a day doesn't mean they are suited to desert travel, it means they tolerate riders.

January 19, 2016, 12:03:25 PM #16 Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:05:08 PM by Molten Heart
What if mounts could be watered, or fed to help them rest more quickly? What other things could be done to help mounts rest up more quickly, or maybe even help them last longer (blankets? special stables? special mounts?)

Maybe if mounts simply regained stamina more quickly while resting it wouldn't be a problem.

-James Brown

I've had good results with resting them in shaded spots and caves before they're utterly exhausted, personally. Most mounts last long enough to ride from one end of the Known to the other, don't they? I mean, have mounts changed appreciably since the last time I rode one from Red Storm to Tuluk?

Quote from: MeTekillot on January 19, 2016, 12:06:08 PM
I've had good results with resting them in shaded spots and caves before they're utterly exhausted, personally. Most mounts last long enough to ride from one end of the Known to the other, don't they? I mean, have mounts changed appreciably since the last time I rode one from Red Storm to Tuluk?
Depending on the mount, yes they will. But I know I'm talking about using them as more than a method to get from city to city.

It almost isn't worth trying to play a totally outdoor ranger due to the fact that half your time is spent waiting on you mount to regen it's stamina.

Add in if you're traveling somewhere away from the known settlements and your forced to sit and be a big target for desert elves, magicker a and all sorts of other evildoers heh.

Yes, that's true, traveling is dangerous and difficult.

Quote from: Asmoth on January 19, 2016, 12:14:41 PM
It almost isn't worth trying to play a totally outdoor ranger due to the fact that half your time is spent waiting on you mount to regen it's stamina.

That doesn't seem to match up with my experience.  It does matter where you choose to rest them, though.

Quote from: Molten Heart on January 19, 2016, 12:03:25 PM
What if mounts could be watered, or fed to help them rest more quickly? What other things could be done to help mounts rest up more quickly, or maybe even help them last longer (blankets? special stables? special mounts?)

This happens.  No special Stables needed.  You just need to get somewhere that professional critter handlers can do these things for you.
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

January 19, 2016, 01:21:16 PM #22 Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:23:45 PM by Molten Heart
Quote from: whitt on January 19, 2016, 01:01:36 PM
Quote from: Molten Heart on January 19, 2016, 12:03:25 PM

This happens.  No special Stables needed.  You just need to get somewhere that professional critter handlers can do these things for you.

If we dislike change and features, that's fine. We all aren't going to agree on everything. Are you against new features to facilitate increased rates of mounts resting all together, or are you simply opposed to the ideas being presented?

-James Brown

Quote from: Molten Heart on January 19, 2016, 01:21:16 PM
Are you against new features to facilitate increased rates of mounts resting all together, or are you simply opposed to the ideas being presented?

Moreso, was trying to point out this (refreshing a mount in a stable) is already an option.

Quote from: whitt on January 19, 2016, 01:26:21 PM
Quote from: Molten Heart on January 19, 2016, 01:21:16 PM
Are you against new features to facilitate increased rates of mounts resting all together, or are you simply opposed to the ideas being presented?

Moreso, was trying to point out this (refreshing a mount in a stable) is already an option.

I have always felt this was a bit twinky, let's throw the mount into the stable and wait ten minutes for the group of beetle masseuses to run away all the fatigue and then get it back out and it's fresh as new.