Code Suggestion: Tents big enough for at least one mount.

Started by Asmoth, January 19, 2016, 01:28:09 AM

I'm not sure why this is a huge issue. Tentmaking is an eligible craft to master and perform mastercrafts for. You could make it yourself or commission it in-game. The reason they probably don't exist yet is their impracticality - an umbrella designed to shade a large area would be large and heavy, let alone a large tent or lean-to. But you're welcome to try.

Quote from: Nergal on January 20, 2016, 11:20:55 AM
I'm not sure why this is a huge issue. Tentmaking is an eligible craft to master and perform mastercrafts for. You could make it yourself or commission it in-game. The reason they probably don't exist yet is their impracticality - an umbrella designed to shade a large area would be large and heavy, let alone a large tent or lean-to. But you're welcome to try.
Then I gotta deal with Kuraci's and when you're dealing with Kuraci, why would you spend a fortune on a tent when there is whores and slice and whores....

But seriously, I would be and might actually try to commission something like this.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

January 20, 2016, 12:04:54 PM #77 Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:41:52 PM by JackGibbons
Quote from: Nergal on January 20, 2016, 11:20:55 AM

I'm not sure I understand why it's a big deal, either. It seems to come down to:

1) But anything Inix can be sheltered by would be absurdly heavy (who said it had to be be inix-sized?)
2) But there's already a way to help your animals recover faster (okay, great. So why is exploring an alternative wrong? Everyone who knows the other way can keep doing it that way)
3) Uphill both ways !!!!
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Quote from: JackGibbons on January 20, 2016, 12:04:54 PM
1) But anything Inix can be sheltered by would be absurdly heavy (who said it had to be be inix-sized?)
2) But there's already a way to help your animals recover faster (okay, great. So why is exploring an alternative wrong? Everyone who knows the other way can keep doing it that way)
3) Uphill both ways !!!!

1) If it is not assumed to be inix-sized, the code also needs to check the size of the mount before allowing a mount to gain benefit from the shelter.  This (probably) requires additional coding.  Hence the use of this larger-sized mount as a point of discussion.
2) Not wrong, just possibly impractical.
3) Not the way the world is described as functioning.  Slow and cautious exploration, in gradually expanding spheres as one locates a "safe" spot to rest one's mount seems more in keeping with the tone of a harsh and unforgiving landscape.  Or if you prefer this view would be opposed to "But I wanna!" *stomps foot*
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

January 20, 2016, 01:59:16 PM #79 Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:01:14 PM by Delirium
I do like the idea of setting up a "lean to" object that shades the room, rather than makes it an indoor area.

It could also lower the storm severity by one level, perhaps.

That, I could totally get behind.

Yeah, those are good points, Whitt. I think I mentioned something similar in my earlier post. Delerium et al's idea about an object to set the 'shadow' property for the room may be more feasible than to make a room enterable like a tent try to filter out mounts based on size cut-offs, if those don't already exist in code.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

The idea of setting up a "storm stopper" like Delirium said would be excellent. How many nights has a clan spent staring at swirling sand for 20 minutes because of being caught out in the night?

If it were possible to lower the "weather" value in a tile from an object set up as a sort of wind-breaker, that would allow for more night time camp RP. And it might give people reason to set campfires out there.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

Quote from: Asmoth on January 19, 2016, 11:18:13 AMI understand all these points but will trump them by saying that when I played with the byn in a time of TONS of bynners, we once had about ten grown ass big Zalanthas men in a tent.

... and then?

But really, you can already travel the entire length of the Known World in a single day, with a single long rest for a beetle or two medium rests with an inix. This can be a blessing when you get home late and need to be somewhere in a hurry, but can get a little silly when people leave Allanak at dawn and hit Morins by early morning because they macro swapped in Luirs or something.

Personally, I think it's already kind of silly we can load 10+inix into a wagon described as being rather compact as it is.

And it's even more hilarious when certain people pilot their COLOSSAL argosy through the forest, impervious to terrain and...

You know what? Fuck it. Let's let mounts hang out in the tent with us.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.