Arboretum revamp discussion

Started by ArmageddonMUD, November 17, 2015, 10:47:38 PM

People have generally have had a tendency to give nobles longer names.  I think it makes sense.

I will never forget Vlorvaldorax. Or how to spell it, since I was terrified of having my character "mispronounce" the name.

This Arboretum update was much needed and I love that it really rubs the haves in the have-not's faces.

Quote from: Delirium on November 19, 2015, 10:07:03 AM
I will never forget Vlorvaldorax.

He was gone too soon.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

About time! Can't wait to see it...
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

I love the announce scripts and also long names

I won't consider this a "Real" Allanaki tavern until someone gets murdered in it.

Quote from: Mordiggian on November 19, 2015, 06:00:38 AM
Ever since Sirihish became the dominant language, Sirihish speakers have associated names with social status, with a larger number of syllables denoting a higher station.

I'm not even making that up! It's the last line in the staff wiki entry for Sirihish!
That... explains that ridiculously long name of Lord *beep*
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: BadSkeelz on November 19, 2015, 04:39:37 PM
I won't consider this a "Real" Allanaki tavern until someone gets murdered in it.

Technically didn't this already happen, if the rumor board post is accurate?

Not a PC, though.

Hmmm, good point. Would those NPCs count as "in" the tavern when it collapsed on to them?

Quote from: Erythil on November 19, 2015, 04:54:18 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on November 19, 2015, 04:39:37 PM

Technically didn't this already happen, if the rumor board post is accurate?

Not a PC, though.
Two minutes later
"Several fair citizens were stabbed to death by evil elves"

November 19, 2015, 11:36:44 PM #60 Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:39:53 PM by wizturbo
Addition to my previous suggestion:

Announcements for a noble or templar might look like this:

"Presenting the Lady Amosa Borsail!"

But for a merchant house family member, they only get this:

"A Kadian Merchant!"

The whole point would be to reinforce the fact that their name isn't important, but the fact that they've arrived might be of interest to the Highborn nearby.  Sort of the Zalanthian nobility equivalent of the ice cream truck coming around the corner....  :)

Quote from: wizturbo on November 19, 2015, 11:36:44 PM

"A Kadian Merchant!"

The whole point would be to reinforce the fact that their name isn't important, but the fact that they've arrived might be of interest to the Highborn nearby.  Sort of the Zalanthian nobility equivalent of the ice cream truck coming around the corner....  :)

I like it.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Sort of the Zalanthian nobility equivalent of the ice cream truck coming around the corner....  :)

Thank you for this. I totally snort-laughed. Hard. It just made my day. :)

THIS IS FANTASTIC. THANK YOU STAFF!
subdue thread
release thread pit

Does the top floor of the Arboretum also have visibility on the Cuddler? It could be like box seating at the games.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on November 22, 2015, 01:19:18 AM
Does the top floor of the Arboretum also have visibility on the Cuddler? It could be like box seating at the games.

I love this idea.

I like it.

But I miss Trader's. I dug the atmosphere there as a newb. That might have been players, thouh.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Are dwarves and half-giants not allowed into the bar either, or is this just a bug of sorts?

Dwarves and half-giants are filth so it's probably not a bug.

The doorman will open the door for you. He won't let you open it. Type N, not open. If he still won't let you in you're a filthy elf.  A short,  bald, filthy elf.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

Quote from: Iiyola on November 20, 2015, 12:10:06 AM

"A Kadian Merchant!"

I like it.

The issue is that typically this sort of script checks for your real name. So if you ALWAYS go by "Amos" but your REAL name is "Amostabootay", then you'll get announced as "Lady Amostabootay Borsail". Maybe you don't want everyone knowing that!

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

I don't really know why there is a door to this place to be honest. None of the other major drinking/eating establishments in the game have doors. Makes it hard to see if anyone is in there as I'm walking by as I do for all the other taverns in the game.  When it was an exclusive, secluded club closed off to commoners it made sense to have a curtain (sorta, I still didn't like it) - but now it is a major in game gathering spot with a rumor board and everything. Maybe there is some hidden logic behind putting a door on a major city meeting spot that we want to encourage people to visit. But I'm not seeing it, myself. 
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

The door prevents breeds, elves, and other ne'er-do-wells from getting in.

Quote from: Saellyn on November 26, 2015, 02:12:46 AM
The door prevents breeds, elves, and other ne'er-do-wells from getting in.

Not really. Not any more than a guarded entrance would. Shadow is good.