Arboretum revamp discussion

Started by ArmageddonMUD, November 17, 2015, 10:47:38 PM

I volunteer to take over the role of the murderous vengeful unemployed door guard.

I really don't see why one tavern having a door is such a big deal.

Quote from: Erythil on November 26, 2015, 04:00:02 PM

srsly.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Maybe it serves as an airlock for commoner stink?

Inside is nice Enlil Terash brand Nobleair, outside is gross Commonerair.. which smells like armpits and butts.

Quote from: Renenutet on November 26, 2015, 03:44:54 PM
Back to the door. We can discuss amongst  staff. Maybe the door can go. The feedback is definitely appreciated.

If we take out the door the npc who opens it for you to go out will be unemployed. Let it be upon your heads.

At least it is a short walk to the pile.

Quote from: Erythil on November 26, 2015, 04:00:02 PM

For multiple reasons stated. "Big deal" of course being defined here as worth making a post on the GDB, right? Because that's all we're doing.

It's canon. There are supposed to be dozens of thirsty, hungry, unwashed beggars outside begging, right?
If you got enough money to buy a cup of water, or at least pretend you have enough money, you should be able to get in. Those beggars are DIRT poor.

Just to clarify I don't really care if one tavern has a door. I am going to miss hearing about hoity toity nobles attacking each other directly or using assassins, however.

Don't unemploy the guy inside, if the door goes.  Give the guy outside a pal.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Make guarding outside the Arboretum a "punishment detail" for Arm recruits/privates when they piss off their officer.

Seriously, that job would have to suck.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

And then no one would ever do it, the end.

Wait... this thread exploded because of a door?   ???

Doors are the source of all Armageddon's problems.

#removealldoors2016

I just want to be able to "look north" and see if there are PCs in the Arboretum, hopefully templars or nobles having an important meeting, so I can stand outside as a worthless beggar and shout how I'm so hungry and won't someone please take mercy on me, until they step outside and either A) give me a job or B) murder me (both outcomes equally acceptable).

I can do that even if I don't know, but NPCs are far less likely to respond in interesting ways, and shouting at a closed door isn't as much fun.

Keep the bouncer. Maybe even keep the door if you can just leave it open by default. Either way, if someone wants to train their archery skill on Lady Oash sitting downstairs, they'll get what's coming to them.

subdue thread
release thread pit

Having an open door also means it's easier to sneak inside.  I don't like that.  Security is already bad, making it easier would just make it worse.  The alternative would be to make outside the arboretem a no-hide room...which would suck even more! 

Make the walls climbable, vault into the balcony.

So who can be let in?
Based on the thread I figure: humans. Half elves that look human?
Can dwarves and half giants go in there at all?

Quote from: Hauwke on January 04, 2016, 04:58:36 AM
So who can be let in?
Based on the thread I figure: humans. Half elves that look human?
Can dwarves and half giants go in there at all?
Yep yep and yep. 
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Well I may have found an issue with the door guy then.