Arboretum revamp discussion

Started by ArmageddonMUD, November 17, 2015, 10:47:38 PM

Quote from: Delirium on November 18, 2015, 12:11:37 PM
Does it stop all half-elves or does it let "human" looking half-elves pass? That'd be a weird way to get outed.

The code accounts for human-looking half-elves properly.

Quote from: Renenutet on November 18, 2015, 11:55:26 AM
You can spend everyday at the commoner bar. Unless you're an elf. You're not an elf ? >:(

Damn bouncer was doing his job a little too good last night. But the problem has been solved!
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

What social status are you supposed to be to:

a)  Be let inside the arboretum at all?
b)  Let into the garden?
c)  Let up onto the balcony?

The guards just frown and shake their head, so you can't really tell for sure whose allowed where.

Commoners at the bar.
GMH , Nobles, Templars in the Garden,
Nobles and  Templars upstairs.
If you have another experience, please shoot me a request, or bug it.

I am really sorry and completely at fault here. I was anxious to open and things got past me. I promise we'll sort this out.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

Just an addendum - GMH family are allowed in the garden. The rest of them can go suck it...
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Pay no attention to the lower-class PC, sprinting through the rooms and logging descriptions for later consumption.

Quote from: Renenutet on November 18, 2015, 02:07:10 PM
Commoners at the bar.

I am really sorry and completely at fault here. I was anxious to open and things got past me. I promise we'll sort this out.

There's nothing to be sorry about, this is an awesome addition to Allanak!  I would've been anxious to open it up too.

Quote from: wizturbo on November 18, 2015, 02:22:15 PM
Quote from: Renenutet on November 18, 2015, 02:07:10 PM
Commoners at the bar.

There's nothing to be sorry about, this is an awesome addition to Allanak!  I would've been anxious to open it up too.

Yeah, this is awsome! Nice work!

MM and I were just going back and forth about this VERY THING in Random Thoughts yesterday.

Timely Coincidence or something more?

If you want to send kudos to Marauder Moe and I, feel free to do so. We will accept them with humble glee.

(Do not send us kudos. We had nothing to do with this.)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Did you not see the construction site out there in August?  ;)
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Quote from: Adhira on November 18, 2015, 05:20:47 PM

I keep my gaze averted when I pass. #justcommonerthings
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on November 18, 2015, 05:21:46 PM
Quote from: Adhira on November 18, 2015, 05:20:47 PM

I keep my gaze averted when I pass. #justcommonerthings
Don't want babies to get thrusted into your face for water.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Will the new Arboretum serve as a high end tavern, similar to what the Trader's Inn was? Similar to the Sun King's Sanctuary in Tuluk? I'm concerned this will be too many taverns for Allanak, but maybe higher player density in Allanak demands another player hub.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

That's the idea.  The main thing her is Red's Retreat was never meant to be a Noble Tavern.  We typically have around 8 Nobles and 3 Templars now, AND we have GMH Family members, none of them have their "exclusive" club to hang out in freely, now they do.  The Gaj is still always going to be used, Red's is a great place for those that don't like the dirty of Gaj, but not as opulent as the Arboretum.  Now the Arboretum is accessible to commoners still, some at least, but it really caters to those that have the money and lifestyle to fit there.

I think we'll have plenty of players to go into any of the Bars, hopefully we can encourage more reason for people to go to these centers.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

November 18, 2015, 06:36:19 PM #40 Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 06:39:34 PM by Molten Heart
I like the idea of using the Red's Retreat as a high end tavern for nobles and other rich and upper class people. It's big with sub-sections where nobles can isolate themselves from the common riff raff.

It'd be cool to have a tavern that's more sleazy and gritter than the Gaj, maybe even with easy access to the rinth (maybe out the backdoor). A kind of place where one might encounter shady types and other lower class people. It'd be like some of the other rinth player hubs but be considered much safer than rinth taverns because of easy access that doesn't require travel into the rinth (and break the rules many clans have about going into the rinth).
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on November 18, 2015, 06:36:19 PM
I like the idea of using the Red's Retreat as a high end tavern for nobles and other rich and upper class people. It's big with sub-sections where nobles can isolate themselves from the common riff raff.

It'd be cool to have a tavern that's more sleazy and gritter than the Gaj, maybe even with easy access to the rinth (maybe out the backdoor). A kind of place where one might encounter shady types and other lower class people. It'd be like some of the other rinth player hubs but be considered much safer than rinth taverns because of easy access that doesn't require travel into the rinth (and break the rules many clans have about going into the rinth).

I love the changes, this is more in response to the sleezy bar:

I've had that idea for a while, although slightly different: push back the thug NPCs on Hathor's (and restrict the roaming thugs further in) and so give southsiders access to the Mantis.  You still have two other bars in the rinth for the hardcore.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Red's Retreat is sort of the GMH/Highish End Commoner Pub where Nobles can drop in, and Templars too since they can go wherever they damn well please, without the inordinate fear of vomit, feces, and elves. Though the latter might have to be abided, maybe.

The Arboretum is a different creature entirely. It bleeds Noble Blood, and Commoners are lucky to get a glimpse of the fresh water fountain garden within. Or lucky enough to be a GMH Family Member and be afforded (via Taxes) the price of admittance.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

I think there were some complaints about the Atrium kind of walling off the high end players from the world, so this provides an option where they can be themselves but still be approachable to people who are looking for interaction with them.

Quote from: Erythil on November 18, 2015, 07:11:27 PM
I think there were some complaints about the Atrium kind of walling off the high end players from the world, so this provides an option where they can be themselves but still be approachable to people who are looking for interaction with them.

Yes.

Even though a commoner can't get into the more exclusive areas they can see who is in the other parts of the building, and others can see them.

November 18, 2015, 08:33:49 PM #45 Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:45:36 PM by wizturbo
Again, love the new building.

Just a small flavor suggestion...  It would be cool if the same script used in the noble's quarter for when a noble enters the gates was used to announce arriving Highborn when they come into the Arboretum.

Bowing quickly, the burly, long-haired bouncer shouts, in sirihish:
    "Lord Templar Amos Borsail of the Ministry of War!"

That sort of thing.

I like this suggestion. I have no idea what goes in to having that happen.  So, no promises beyond consideration.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

Awesome.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: wizturbo on November 18, 2015, 08:33:49 PM

The tall templar enters from the west.

Bowing quickly, the burly, long-haired bouncer shouts, in sirihish:
    "Lord Templar Zeneranthiazolinonethenyulineratenpharhsinarbenfarbephenwhaxkilintenfog Borsail of the Ministry of War!"

Addressing the crowd of secret gicks, the tall templar says, in sirihish:
    "hey im lord templar z. try summon me lol"

The tall templar e.

fixed

Ever since Sirihish became the dominant language, Sirihish speakers have associated names with social status, with a larger number of syllables denoting a higher station.

I'm not even making that up! It's the last line in the staff wiki entry for Sirihish!