Leadership Taxicab Confessional

Started by Is Friday, January 05, 2015, 10:40:33 AM

Recruitment privileges in a clan aren't based on rank, they are based on the PC being given that role by someone who can give them that role (either staff or another PC). So that is already possible to do, and it does happen in some clans at some times.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on January 23, 2015, 06:11:43 PM
Recruitment privileges in a clan aren't based on rank, they are based on the PC being given that role by someone who can give them that role (either staff or another PC). So that is already possible to do, and it does happen in some clans at some times.

Ah, cool.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Sometimes I feel like playing a sponsored role is request tool tag.

You ask another sponsored role a question, and they ask their staff for approval, but then they have a question, so you ask your staff for approval, so on and so on.

I feel like it's a side effect of PC sponsored roles all effectively being nobodies, but players want to do big things.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on January 31, 2015, 12:10:22 AM

You ask another sponsored role a question, and they ask their staff for approval, but then they have a question, so you ask your staff for approval, so on and so on.

I feel like it's a side effect of PC sponsored roles all effectively being nobodies, but players want to do big things.

This is one of the reasons I want PC created independent Houses so much...  You don't need to ask for approval, its your House, make your own decisions and bare the consequences.

Well, if you're making weighty enough decisions, you'll still need staff to have the world react. At least until we have enough players to fill out the ranks of the upper tiers of power in the world, with the code to support it, too.

Even then, I hope.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

I can't see an independent head of a house being anything more than the level of a senior agent for a GMH though anyway? So I don't think there needs to be any reaction from the world by staff to counter such people's decisions. There might not be alot of senior agent PC's about, if any, but if these independent heads are above mid-level GMH, that could prove interesting. Nobles, Templars would be well above the independant clan leaders. Right now, there's the most nobles in the North than I've seen, ever. It's fantastic! We just need more GMH and I can't believe I'm going to say it, independents! I'm too lazy to compare how long ago the new system went in place to the time that has passed IG, but I'm hoping to see the independent system kicking off in it's next stages soon. I hope people are working on it!
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Quote from: wizturbo on January 31, 2015, 12:42:43 AM
Quote from: HavokBlue on January 31, 2015, 12:10:22 AM

This is one of the reasons I want PC created independent Houses so much...  You don't need to ask for approval, its your House, make your own decisions and bare the consequences.

Go for it!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

February 02, 2015, 02:39:58 PM #133 Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:43:25 PM by wizturbo
Quote from: Nyr on February 02, 2015, 11:32:17 AM

Go for it!

I see lots of activity of this sort right now.  I'm excited for them to come to fruition (or to explode in a ball of dramatic failsauce).  I've been participating in the small ways I'm able to in order to help spur things along.

A quick plea to henchmen/clannies,

Never assume you are being presumptuous in telling your leader what your playtimes are going to be like.

They want to know.

They always want to know.

They will happily listen ad infinitum to you explain about the inner workings of your irritable bowel syndrome if it means they get to know for sure whether or not you're character will be around for a planned event, or whether your playtime is sufficient to accomplish some task they want to give you. So if your playtime is going to be changing, please consider taking 2 minutes to drop your leader a message about it. You will be their favorite person.

I wish there was a way that the karma given out for communicating with staff could be extended to "communicates with staff and leaders," though I have no idea how that would work.

Quote from: Narf on February 03, 2015, 12:34:35 PM
I wish there was a way that the karma given out for communicating with staff could be extended to "communicates with staff and leaders," though I have no idea how that would work.

We don't give karma out for communicating with staff--rather, for good communication (which may well be communicating well with staff).  The karma categories are generalized and we have staff-side documentation elaborating on each area.  See this post for an example.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

February 03, 2015, 02:13:10 PM #136 Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:28:21 PM by Beethoven
I feel bad when my underlings do not seem to realize that they are free to tell me when they need to log off.

I think some people are afraid my PC will punish them ICly for having to log out when I am in the middle of asking them to do something or briefing them or whatever. That's not the case. I will always, always let you log out when you need to leave. It can be really hard to get off the game in a timely fashion and I have no desire to make it worse for you. Even if you make a crap excuse that my PC really shouldn't accept, I will turn a blind eye to it because I am not here to ICly punish you for OOC stuff, period.

Because people tend to behave as if they believe I will punish them for having to log out, I often feel like I have to guess when they have to leave based on their usual playtimes or subtle, ambiguous clues they may or may not be dropping in their emotes. Guys, please don't make me do that. Just tell me when you need to log off. I'm sure your other leaders will also be happy to let you go when you need to take care of RL stuff or sleep, and if they aren't, well, frankly I think that's complaint territory.

I mostly never know when I'm going to log off. Usually I just get bored at some point, or overwhelmed by a stressful/annoying situation like subordinates falling off their mount 15 times between Storm and Allanak, for instance, that can really sap my energy for roleplay. And then it's a sudden "Yo, I've got to use the latrines." and run off.

Then a while later I'll feel refreshed and ready for more.

Nothing like making contacts that play primarily in a timezone 6 hours ahead of yours.

Quote from: MeTekillot on February 05, 2015, 05:43:18 PM
Nothing like making contacts that play primarily in a timezone 6 hours ahead of yours.

<3
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I'd love to be in charge of a patrol of like 6 recruit PC's, deep in the Grey or Red, then just say "Sorry, I gotta piss", emote wandering off, and then quitting out. Or, just ride off on them, as a test to get them to figure their own way back IG. That's a fun idea too.

February 06, 2015, 07:09:02 PM #141 Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:12:02 PM by KankWhisperer
Being in charge of 10 PCs on an adventure is not as fun as you think it'll be.

PC #1: I have decided to go link dead.

PC #2: I have decided to to go AFK.

PC#3: I need to log out immediately in terrible situation!

PC#4: I've decided to role play a complete moron for attention, when previously I was competent.

PC #5: I've gotten lost.

PC#6: I was starving and dehydrated before we left and I don't have any food or water.

PC#7: I never practiced riding before now.

PC#8: I'm Late!

PCs#9,#10: Hate other PCS. Begin thinking murderous thoughts.

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

PC 1's situation would suck.
PC 2 needs to quit OOC if they are going to be AFK more than a handful of minutes; the gameworld will not wait on them and "being AFK" is not an excuse for a resurrection; if they die that's on them!
PC 3 can and should quit OOC.
PC 4 can be executed in the field.
PC 5 can be left in the field and punished if they ever find their way back to camp or wherever you left from.
PC 6 can be executed in the field.
PC 7 can walk, then be left in the field and punished if they ever make their way back to camp or wherever you left from.
PC 8 can be punished when you get back.
PCs 9 and 10 can be devoted towards punishing the PCs that need to be executed or punished later.

That leaves you with two effectives to kill 2 ineffectives and punish 2 more ineffectives when you get back, providing an RPT all by itself.  Woo!

You could also force the innefectives to fight to the death for you and PC 9 and 10's amusement.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Lol. Next impossible step, trying to get them all together for that RPT  ;D

Quote from: Fujikoma on February 07, 2015, 12:38:41 PM
You could also force the innefectives to fight to the death for you and PC 9 and 10's amusement.

Oh yeah you reminded me..

PC #11: I'm an elf.

It'd be nice if someone would implement 'follow wagon' as well for wagon adventures.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on February 07, 2015, 04:48:27 PM
Quote from: Fujikoma on February 07, 2015, 12:38:41 PM

Oh yeah you reminded me..

PC #11: I'm an elf.

Hey now! That elf could've taken those other four PCs at the same time, maybe. :P
Don't blame me, blame the docs. :)
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Leadership 101

Login:
Welcome to armageddon!

A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Amos sends you a telepathic message:
"Hey bob is dead"

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

A templar sends you a telepathic message:
"I need to talk with you."

A noble sends you a telepathic message:
"i like silk."

A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."