Voting Reset for TMC and TMS! July thread!

Started by Nyr, July 01, 2013, 04:03:06 AM

Due to a power surge and windows update at my place, I am now able to vote at TMC. And lookie that - we are now in 1st place. Go me!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Come on people vote, now in 4th place far behind Acheae.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

The good:  We have the most outs save the #1 spot.

The bad:  We aren't #1 in both.

Still #1 on TMC by about 75 votes.

At 4th on TMS, but only ahead by a vote or two.  Remember to vote!

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Voted!!! Ahead at fourth by four votes now.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

By 68 votes too, absolutely incredibly unacceptable.

What the hell, people.

We're in fifth place - FIFTH PLACE.

Let me repeat that -

FIFTH PLACE

We have an HRPT coming up!  We should be MORE active, not less!  VOTE.  
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Well now that I finally got my voting ability back for mudconnect, I vote - and see a banner ad for a jesus website. Not a christian mud site - just an evangelical christian site.

So I'm poking around topmudsites, and see a recent thread referring to that banner ad on mudconnect, and a thread about it in the mudconnect forum. So I take a look at that thread - turns out it belongs to the site owner, who feels it appropriate to place a banner ad trying to push his christianity on everyone else. It's not even a customer - he put it there himself because he wanted to send the message that jesus died for us all.

Since I'm not christian, and have no interest in becoming christian, and don't think it necessary for a mud-related website to insist that jesus died for me - I won't be voting on mudconnect anymore. I find his refusal to remove the banner that -he- put on his own, for free (since he's the site owner) to be offensive. I don't support "christian" websites, and I won't support mudconnector as long as it plasters "Jesus died for us all" on my browser when I click to it.

July 23, 2013, 06:34:06 PM #87 Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:39:39 PM by Malken
Now I'm tempted to make a new account and say that jesusdiedforallus.com sent me to Armageddon.

Just read it as JesusDiedforOrallus.com

Maybe Orallus was the site owner's favorite character on Arm or something.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Vote, or the terrorists win!

https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Lizzie on July 23, 2013, 06:02:03 PMI don't support "christian" websites, and I won't support mudconnector as long as it plasters "Jesus died for us all" on my browser when I click to it.

You don't have an adblocker on your browser?  Pardon me while I go for the obvious joke, but Jesus Christ, dude.

But thanks for coming here to announce your intentions to not cast ~30 votes per month for a game you do support because you saw (and clicked on) a single ad you didn't like on a site over which we have no control.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Malken on July 23, 2013, 06:34:06 PM
Now I'm tempted to make a new account and say that jesusdiedforallus.com sent me to Armageddon.

Just read it as JesusDiedforOrallus.com

Maybe Orallus was the site owner's favorite character on Arm or something.

jesus died for oral?

to avoid hearing more bad jokes like this, click here

July 23, 2013, 09:01:14 PM #91 Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:03:17 PM by Lizzie
Quote from: Nyr on July 23, 2013, 08:43:35 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on July 23, 2013, 06:02:03 PMI don't support "christian" websites, and I won't support mudconnector as long as it plasters "Jesus died for us all" on my browser when I click to it.

You don't have an adblocker on your browser?  Pardon me while I go for the obvious joke, but Jesus Christ, dude.

But thanks for coming here to announce your intentions to not cast ~30 votes per month for a game you do support because you saw (and clicked on) a single ad you didn't like on a site over which we have no control.

I had been locked out of it for two months, and had been trying to "vote" every single day. Pardon me if I don't want to patronize a website run by a guy who wants to stuff jesus down my throat.

At least I tried. Consider all the players of this game who haven't ever even bothered to click the vote link once. I'm not hearing your snark against them. And I have been clicking that vote link for YEARS - every single day, without fail, even when I'm on vacation and can't actually play. Consider all the people who forget to vote, who don't vote every day.

Quote from: Lizzie on July 23, 2013, 09:01:14 PM
Pardon me if I don't want to patronize a website run by a guy who wants to stuff jesus down my throat.

Hey, I agree.  It's cheesy.  I don't want anyone trying to sell their religion to me, either.  When I saw it, I said to myself, "huh, weird, probably a link to a game site" and then I didn't click on it because I don't click on ads (generally a good practice).  When I saw your rant about it, I checked, and I saw that it was a single ad that popped up every now and then (really not that often, about as often as the paid ads there).  I then found a solution to your problem that would not take support away from our game in a prominent area of MUD rankings, should you wish to pursue it:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/adblock%20plus?hl=en-US
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/
http://safariadblock.com/
https://adblockplus.org/en/internet-explorer

One of these should work for you.

There's obviously a lot of people out there who agree that this is heavy-handed and cheesy and a little creepy.  I'm one of them.  I also have adblock plus installed so I can just not see it and put it out of my mind.  If that's not something you want to do and instead wish to not even go to a website because you disagree with its advertising, cool.  The way you have been explaining it, you've been banned from there anyway and haven't been able to vote (though I still think it was your computer since it got fixed by a power surge + windows update--bans aren't circumvented by lightning and the windows OS)...so I'm not sure it's really a big deal.  If you don't want to vote because of an ad you don't like, good luck.

Quote from: Nyr on July 23, 2013, 09:20:46 PMThe way you have been explaining it, you've been banned from there anyway and haven't been able to vote (though I still think it was your computer since it got fixed by a power surge + windows update--bans aren't circumvented by lightning and the windows OS)...so I'm not sure it's really a big deal.  If you don't want to vote because of an ad you don't like, good luck.

Er, no. The way I've been explaining it, is that there was an IP-block on a range of IP addresses, and my IP address falls within that range. *I* was not banned, I've received no violations, no warnings, no nothing, and I used to be a frequent and regular contributor until this started happening. It's happened over the course of two different computers, and Icculus has fixed it for me twice already in the past two years but it often takes him a couple of months to respond to my requests (since I have to e-mail him from my own personal e-mail, and not from my mudconnect account, because - well - I can't access it when my IP block is locked out).  It doesn't happen when I'm not home (using someone else's computer or my tablet when I'm on vacation). I (meaning me, not my IP address) have never been locked out or banned from Mudconnector or Topmudsites, and I've been a semi-regular contributor to both since before I ever started playing Armageddon. On the other hand, there are only a very rare few other than myself, that I've -ever- seen participating in either website's forums. I believe in give and take. I don't see many of you giving back to the sites that have given you first place.

I don't normally notice ads on other websites that I visit. But with a mud website, to see the one and only non-mud advertisement, knowing that it was put there by the owner, in rotation instead of a potentially paying customer, for the express purpose of pushing his religious agenda - well call it a boycott. Yes, I love Armageddon. That's why I have been voting for it on two different voting sites and promoting it for years.

And no, I won't be downloading an ad blocker just to block a single offensive ad.

Ah, ok.  Well then he must have gone and fixed your ban issue for you.  I don't think the windows update or the power surge had anything to do with it if that was the case.

Meanwhile, vote!

You know how I vote on topmudsites - without ever having to be reminded to vote:

I read (and contribute to) the Topmudsites forum. But - I don't have it bookmarked, and I don't google search it. I use Armageddon's voting link instead. That is -how- I get to the forums there. So I click that voting button several times every day. It only counts twice a day, but it causes no problems at all to use it as your "method" of getting to that website.

Reviews have been disabled there, and they have some rules of ettiquette regarding promoting a mud on their forums (only once every couple of weeks to do an actual promotion post or bump an inactive existing promotion thread - but it's totally allowed to continue an active discussion about a mud, or to include your mud in a recommendation if someone's looking for one to play).

It might be interesting, in fact, to find out if those members who come to play Arm, as a result of our presence on topmudsites, are doing so because we're in the top ranks, or because they've read about us in the forums. Or - if maybe it's because of both (they see us in the rankings, then check the forums to see if anyone has anything interesting to say about us).

Perhaps if more of us were participating in their forums, more people would be aware of the nature of Armageddon, and not only consider what a very very scant few players have to say about it. It's not that we need everyone to suddenly barrage their forum extolling the virtues of Armageddon - that'd not only be silly, but it'd probably drive some would-be players far away from the Arm-Evangelists :)

There are a lot of lively discussions there, and some pretty awesome active members. It'd be nice to see a couple more Armers chime in on all different kinds of topics. It'd also make us more "visible" to mudders, who don't only look at mud rankings - they also check out the community.

Maybe we should post an announcement about the HRPT over on the forums of those websites, if we haven't done so already.

Quote from: LauraMars on July 23, 2013, 10:07:35 PM
Maybe we should post an announcement about the HRPT over on the forums of those websites, if we haven't done so already.

It's already posted there, but it just recently bounced off the recent discussions list.

Right under Newest Muds Added, is the Recent Forum Discussions section. Or you could just go to the main forum link and browse through. But the Arm HRPT thread is in the Mud Promotions subdirectory and a few of you have posted in it.

I don't think anyone's posted in mudconnector's forum yet, or at least I didn't see anything about Arm when I checked a few days ago.

I was really dissapointed the jesus website didn't lead to a jesus themed mud.  I was looking forward to leveling up my baptist preacher and smiting some heathens.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Ender on July 24, 2013, 10:20:29 AM
I was really dissapointed the jesus website didn't lead to a jesus themed mud.  I was looking forward to leveling up my baptist preacher and smiting some heathens.

See now, that would've been cool. Even though I'm not Christian, there are lots of Christians would might really enjoy playing a religious-based mud. Maybe play one of the Pharisees or a temple priest collecting taxes from the poor or something, or a Crusader going on a druid hunt along the british isles.