Voting Reset for TMC and TMS! July thread!

Started by Nyr, July 01, 2013, 04:03:06 AM

Quote from: LauraMars on July 23, 2013, 10:07:35 PM
Maybe we should post an announcement about the HRPT over on the forums of those websites reddit/R/Mud, if we haven't done so already.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Lizzie on July 24, 2013, 10:57:13 AM
Quote from: Ender on July 24, 2013, 10:20:29 AM
I was really dissapointed the jesus website didn't lead to a jesus themed mud.  I was looking forward to leveling up my baptist preacher and smiting some heathens.

See now, that would've been cool. Even though I'm not Christian, there are lots of Christians would might really enjoy playing a religious-based mud. Maybe play one of the Pharisees or a temple priest collecting taxes from the poor or something, or a Crusader going on a druid hunt along the british isles.

A time-traveling sci-fi MUD that sends Jesus back as a terminator...this time, he won't turn the other cheek!

already ready to roll up a character
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Ender on July 24, 2013, 10:20:29 AM
I was really dissapointed the jesus website didn't lead to a jesus themed mud.  I was looking forward to leveling up my baptist preacher and smiting some heathens.

This is too funny. Would definitely be a fun thing to do for me while waiting character approvals. I don't have time to play other muds when I have a PC on Arm though.

Voted. How in the world did we drop to fifth place on TMS. Come on people VOTE.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Let he who is without sin kick the first ass!
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

No big deal, guys.  We'll destroy it next month.

Right now we're at about 51 votes per day on average.  That can be maintained by 25 people voting twice per day.  We could be at 2nd place presently (and comfortably, and probably with a wider margin) if we'd had 32 people voting twice per day (1600 votes).  If we want 2000 votes per month (which is attainable and we've done it before for 4 months, and it seems to be a good threshold), we need...oh.  32 people voting twice per day.  That's just 7 more people remembering to vote each day twice per day!

So let's get together and plan to kick ass at midnight on July 31/August 1.  And til then, continue to vote!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Nyr,

Could you please explain when all you can vote twice a day. I've tried voting back to back but the numbers never increase on TMS. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. Maybe I have to wait a little while before voting again. And how do I know when my vote has counted or not it doesn't say one way or the other. TMC is pretty specific it says hey you've voted already. I guess an indicator on when someone can vote would be a good thing to know.

Thank You
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

It's once every twelve hour period, from what I've seen.

If you vote at midnight, you can vote again at noon exactly 12 hours later.  If you vote at noon, you can vote again at midnight exactly 12 hours later.  I usually don't do it exactly to the second or even to the minute.  Except for the first few days of voting, I usually just stick to a schedule of "vote when I get to the office" and "vote at the same time back at home."

With TMS, it doesn't matter how many times you click the vote link - it will only count toward an actual vote once every 12 hours. You *can* click on it countless times daily, no one will be penalized for it, so you have no worries on that end. It just won't count, except once every 12 hours.

So if you vote at 8PM tonight, then the next vote you click that counts, will occur at or after 8:01AM. If you don't vote until 8:05AM, then the next vote you click that counts, will occur at or after 8:06PM.

The 12-hour timer begins on the last vote that counted, whenever that happened to be, and regardless of how many times you clicked the vote link between then and now.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I do much the same as Nyr, which probably means when we do vote a few minutes early, we effectively lose that vote.  I don't think , in the long run, you can do much about that. It's like collecting pay, you have to run hard to keep up with your entitlement.  That's the way I see it anyway.

Quote from: solera on July 26, 2013, 04:40:32 PM
I do much the same as Nyr, which probably means when we do vote a few minutes early, we effectively lose that vote.  I don't think , in the long run, you can do much about that. It's like collecting pay, you have to run hard to keep up with your entitlement.  That's the way I see it anyway.

Just click the voting link after you're finished reading the GDB, EACH time you're reading the GDB. Most people read it several times every day; it's something you read while you're brushing your teeth or having your morning cup of coffee before work/school.

You read it when you get home from school/work, around the same time that you check your e-mail.

You read it before you log on to Arm in the evening.

You read it when there's a lul in your RP, while you're Arming.

You read it after you log out for the night, before bed.

That's a minimum of 5 opportunities to click that voting link, and at least one of them will count. It's likely that 2 of them will count, but it's guaranteed that one of them will, at the very least.

If you use your smartphone or tablet or laptop and check the GDB on your lunch hour, morning break, between classes, on the train ride to work, on the school bus - those are more opportunities to click the voting link. More chances that 2 of your clicks, per day, will count.

TMC only allows one vote a day, but with TMS you can vote every twelve hours....
Does anyone know if you can vote twice a day on different devices and have it count each time?  Can I vote twice on my laptop and my phone and my iPad and get six votes counted for the day?

Quote from: manipura on July 26, 2013, 05:48:20 PM
TMC only allows one vote a day, but with TMS you can vote every twelve hours....
Does anyone know if you can vote twice a day on different devices and have it count each time?  Can I vote twice on my laptop and my phone and my iPad and get six votes counted for the day?

That would be considered cheating, and totally contrary to the spirit of the vote. It devalues your vote, and by doing so, devalues the game. Please don't do that.

Nope.  It's apparently a 2-vote per IP address system.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on July 26, 2013, 09:20:39 PM

Nope.  It's apparently a 2-vote per IP address system.

And they've already specified in their rules that it's supposed to be 2 votes per person per day, regardless of how many IP addresses he has access to. So you *can* (meaning, it is mechanically possible) to vote twice at home, get your smart phone to starbucks and vote twice from there, and log on at the library computer and vote twice from there.

But again - that is considered cheating, and it is against their rules, and devalues the vote and whichever game those cheating players are voting for.

Now is also also the time to vote...

The end of the month is approaching, too. Be sure to vote every day in August!

So yeah, just wanna say 170 players at peak at an HRPT is 340 votes per day.

We'd have 10540 votes for a 31-day month if all of those wonderful players from yesterday voted twice per day.  By comparison, at current levels, Aardwolf won't break 4000 for the month. I'm not saying we should take on #1 on TMS...I'm just saying we don't need to be as intimidated by other games.

Three more days until voting reset.  Let's rest up a bit and relax long enough to show an eruption of support for Armageddon next month!

Oh, sorry.  Too soon, gypsies?

Lizzie, you may be interested in learning that TMC is no longer going to be run by that same guy.

Quote from: Nyr on July 31, 2013, 11:04:28 AM
Lizzie, you may be interested in learning that TMC is no longer going to be run by that same guy.

His handle is Icculus. I've returned to look at the threads (Yes, I voted in order to link to the site!), and it looks like I wasn't the only one who took offense at the inclusion of a jesus website put there by Andy (Icculus). Unfortunately, instead of simply offering their opinion, appealing to him to retract the ad, and then either staying or leaving - some of them went on a rage-fest. And Andy, being Andy, raged back until it got to the point where he shut down the forum entirely. I didn't participate at all in the fight. And while some of the members were outrageous in their trolldom, there were many who attempted to appeal to Iccy's sense of fairness and "Good Christian" sense but he chose his insistence of putting that ad there (where it hadn't been EVER...so this was a new thing for him), over the vast majority of the community. And now, he's pulling out completely. The whole thing could've been solved if he had simply withdrawn that advertisement for a religious website, which really didn't belong on Mudconnector in the first place - and he knew it.

It's still run by him for now - but the community forum has been set to read-only. And so - the "community" of Topmudsites has been intentionally closed down until further notice.

Shame on the few who made demands as if Iccy owed them a thing - and shame on Iccy for letting an ad that he never considered putting up in all the years he's owned the site, cause him to pick it over the community he has devoted years to.

I believe a Ron Burgundy "well, that escalated quickly" pic would suit the whole jesusblablah situation well.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.