Big words!

Started by Intrepid237, June 05, 2011, 12:07:01 AM

Quote from: Reiloth on June 13, 2011, 02:38:27 PM
Quote from: maxid on June 13, 2011, 02:28:12 PM

I'll state again, more plainly.  I do not care if you use it, it's a mild annoyance, but so are some other things.  It's a game, I can get over it.

It seems that with a lack of standardization, or documentation, that you think it should not be allowed.

Please try again.

Cheerfully yet gritty, a tall, muscular man says, in sirihish:
"'ello chum, da wedder seems quite foul taday."

With a deep-seated, ancient hate, a no-nonsense dwarf asks, in sirihish:
  "What the fuck is a wedder?"

With an annoyed frown, a tall, muscular man asks, insirihish:
"What are you stoopid or sumthin'?"

Raring back with a blocky fist, a no-nonsense dwarf exclaims, in sirihish:
"Shut your mushmouth, grebber!"

*brawl code goes here*

More like this, pls.

This whole argument is like arguing for/against slavery in the year 2012.

Personally, I havn't seen apostraphes overused in a long time, and the entire thread was ORIGINALLY dedicated to the use of large or possible unlikely words to be used by certain commoners.

Not to mention, the entire thread has turned into "Maxid, we all disagree" versus "I am Maxid, and this is my opinion."

Get over it. If someone does something in character, and you can't even understand the talk OOCly, then call them out on it. Unless they're a commoner, talking about the supply chain and lack of capital in their enterprise, and they are using words a Nenyuki Noble wouldn't know, just call them out. Maybe they're really smart, maybe, like an HG, they are just emulating someone else, or who the fuck cares?

At this point, do we need Halaster to resurrect [CERTAIN STAFF AVATAR] to just go off and kill anyone that pisses him off? Is that what we need?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on June 13, 2011, 04:14:36 PM
Not to mention, the entire thread has turned into "Maxid, we all disagree" versus "I am Maxid, and this is my opinion."

Except those people who agreed with me, right?

Antidisestablishmentarianism does seem a stretch, yep.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on June 13, 2011, 04:23:25 PM
Antidisestablishmentarianism does seem a stretch, yep.

Could combine big words with apostraphe soup.

'nt'd's'st'bl'shm'nt'r''n'sm!

Lol.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Yes! I dare someone.

Yeah!  Let's drag more OOC stuff IC for lulz!!!!  THIS IS GONNA BE HILARIOUS D00DZ

You really don't give up, do you?
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

I believe we were joking in an attempt to a) lighten the mood, and 2. CHANGE THE SUBJECT
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on June 13, 2011, 06:55:51 PM
I believe we were joking in an attempt to a) lighten the mood, and 2. CHANGE THE SUBJECT

From the topic of the thread?  ???  (Yes it was originally big words, but this is a side discussion alongside that one.)

To something less acrimonious.

It reminds me a little of Arabic, since if I recall correctly, most of the vowel sounds between consonants are represented by various apostrophe-like symbols, if at all.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Barzalene on June 13, 2011, 06:59:20 PM

Happy day, I have never once posted in anger.  I have been sarcastic, for certain, but never angry.  And not really bitter, either.  I'm sorry everyone else is feeling attacked, because I point out that they are wrong (But still encourage them to do it, if they feel it is necessary, repeatedly.)

I feel like I'm watching a dog chase its tail.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I suggest all of you read Trainspotting. After the first hundred pages, you should be able to understand the rest of the book and every butchered, apostrophe-ridden accent some drunk armer ever came up with.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

June 14, 2011, 04:48:38 AM #241 Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:00:21 AM by NOFUN
I use apostrophes every second letter.  8)

Deal /w it

Though on a serious note, what If I'm trying to roleplay a character with a serious speech impediment with the speech purposely intended to be completely unintelligible?
I suppose it could be reflected through silly accents such as say (slurring) Hwee capt-oored eet fohr kay-ohs -- Bork bork bork! or something but that sounds more like a swedish accent rather than a speech impediment.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

I'd advise considering getting your speech skills capped somewhere other than master, personally. Yes, that will give you a bit of a hearing disorder too, but that's even harder to do in the first place! I couldn't play myself. :-[

Derp?

Are people really complaining about unintelligible accents?

Here's a rule of thumb:  If their EMOTES and ACTIONS are readable and well-written, then stfu.  :D :D :D

If a player wants to create a character with an unintelligible accent, and they are able to consistently roleplay that, then all the power to them.  YOU do not need to understand what they are saying -- if your character can't decipher it, then you need to roleplay that accordingly.  There is a big difference between complaining about scholarly muckrakers and some guy being played as having cottonmouth. 

The tall, nondescript elf expertly flourishes his daggers, before pointing one at you.  "Ahb drill de taeg'n yer cyoinz naow!"

Quote from: Erisine on June 14, 2011, 08:38:19 PM
Derp?

Here's a rule of thumb:  If their EMOTES and ACTIONS are readable and well-written, then stfu.  :D :D :D

If a player wants to create a character with an unintelligible accent, and they are able to consistently roleplay that, then all the power to them.  YOU do not need to understand what they are saying -- if your character can't decipher it, then you need to roleplay that accordingly.  There is a big difference between complaining about scholarly muckrakers and some guy being played as having cottonmouth. 

The tall, nondescript elf expertly flourishes his daggers, before pointing one at you.  "Ahb drill de taeg'n yer cyoinz naow!"

This is not what is being argued against, please reread the thread.

Quote from: Riev on June 13, 2011, 04:14:36 PM

the entire thread has turned into "Maxid, we all disagree" versus "I am Maxid, and this is my opinion."

Quote from: maxid on June 13, 2011, 07:15:23 PM

I'm sorry everyone else is feeling attacked, because I point out that they are wrong (But still encourage them to do it, if they feel it is necessary, repeatedly.)

Also, who are you to determine this?

Quote from: maxid on June 14, 2011, 10:05:27 PM
Quote from: Erisine on June 14, 2011, 08:38:19 PM
Derp?

This is not what is being argued against, please reread the thread.

For the past three pages, it would seem very much like that is what is being argued against.

I'll elaborate on a point made some time earlier, about how the game has coded accents, but there can be sub-accents.

In the US, there is the general idea of what a "Southern" accent is.  

However, if you actually are FROM the South, and have one such accent, you can attest that not all Southern accents are made the same.  For example, there is the "Deep South" Southern Belle (think about that newer Butterfinger commercials); you have a New Orleans accent, which is sort of influenced with 'ebonics' and creole; you have Mississippi Delta, which is a fairly large dialect.  You have the Arklatex styled Southern accent, which is more Western than it is Southern.  You have a different dialect entirely that crops up in rural Tennessee and Georgia, and I'm not even going to mention Florida.

All in all, these accents are all "Southern" and they are all in English.  They not only use different words (coke = soda = pop // buggy = cart), but they use different inflections and pronunciations (mature = ma-tour / macher; taking = "taken", "tak'n", "tak'nd", "tak'ng", and, of course, "taked").  

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 14, 2011, 11:02:25 PM
Quote from: maxid on June 13, 2011, 07:15:23 PM

I'm sorry everyone else is feeling attacked, because I point out that they are wrong (But still encourage them to do it, if they feel it is necessary, repeatedly.)

Also, who are you to determine this?

I demonstrated it logically.  And I have not been alone, if you read back.

And Erisine, as I mentioned before, the population is startlingly small in Zalanthas.  And, there is no standardization, thus rendering the accent impotent at its most important job - indicating where the character is from/how they were educated/etc.

Please, next time just read the thread.  This has been rehashed a dozen times.