Big words!

Started by Intrepid237, June 05, 2011, 12:07:01 AM

The moronic guy says, in sirihish:
     "Ya, that retrospect there, lookin back at it now, retrospect was a good idea."

The Templar says, in sirihish:
     "Oh by the Highlord what have I done? He knows smart words - and he's an idiot!"

The entire crowd of moron commoners oooh's and aaah's at the moronic guy.

The Templar says, in sirihish:
     "... In retrospect, I should have killed him for overhearing that word..."

So I like ignored the last few pages.

But I was thinking about title topic and...What exactly is a big word anyway?

I mean, I can think of many common multi-syllable words for simple ideas and quite a few single and double syllable words for less simple ideas.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I believe the definition is anything that makes the hooples scratch their heads.

Everyone has a different opinion on what constitutes a big word. I think most associate it with how (in)frequently the word comes up in normal, everyday conversation.
Alea iacta est

Quote from: racurtne on June 17, 2011, 03:42:26 AM
I believe the definition is anything that makes the hooples scratch their heads.

Everyone has a different opinion on what constitutes a big word. I think most associate it with how (in)frequently the word comes up in normal, everyday conversation.

I'd agree with that.

I don't think it's how big the word is, it's how unique or specialized it might be. Where commonfolk may only understand the idea of a beat, those associated with the bardic circle would grasp the concept of rhythm. Alternatively, a Kadian would possibly be concerned with the asterism of a gem while the grebber would only care about the flawlessness.

Asterism: The starlike design inherent in some precious gems.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best