Big words!

Started by Intrepid237, June 05, 2011, 12:07:01 AM

June 15, 2011, 05:36:35 AM #250 Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:40:14 AM by BleakOne
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on athis stuff. I don't think anyone demonstraited anything logically, but in the end I think it's pretty much all a storm in a teacup anyway.

Ah'v sed mah beet, sah nahw ah'm gunna shuddup.

Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: maxid on June 15, 2011, 04:17:25 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 14, 2011, 11:02:25 PM
Quote from: maxid on June 13, 2011, 07:15:23 PM
Quote from: Barzalene on June 13, 2011, 06:59:20 PM
To something less acrimonious.

I'm sorry everyone else is feeling attacked, because I point out that they are wrong (But still encourage them to do it, if they feel it is necessary, repeatedly.)

Also, who are you to determine this?

I demonstrated it logically.  And I have not been alone, if you read back.

True, but until the staff pitch in their two cents on the matter, there's no way anyone at all can say what's right and what's wrong.

Logic = nothing when the Staff have final say in anything.

Quote from: Erisine on June 14, 2011, 08:38:19 PM
Derp?
I think that sums up your post nicely. Good job saying absolutely nothing.

Quote from: jstorrie on June 15, 2011, 05:18:07 AM
Quote from: NOFUN on June 14, 2011, 04:48:38 AM
kay-ohs

ugh, quit getting /tg/ on my gdb.

You'd be surprised how close I've come to making a cultist-chan gimmick character.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

Qzzbrl, and BleakOne

I'm fine with disagreement.  I don't really even care all that much.  But it is poor Rp, as demonstrated repeatedly.  I've said that like a dozen times now.   ;D

June 15, 2011, 07:45:21 AM #254 Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:50:31 AM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: maxid on June 15, 2011, 07:28:29 AM
Qzzbrl, and BleakOne

I'm fine with disagreement.  I don't really even care all that much.  But it is poor Rp, as demonstrated repeatedly.  I've said that like a dozen times now.   ;D

I'm fine with disagreement too. I also don't really even care all that much. But nobody really is the end-all be-all decider of what is good or bad RP, perhaps with the exception of staff. I forsee myself saying this a dozen times in the near future. ;D

What the weird orange thingy with the green fish said.
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

If it is indecipherable (either in so far as to what the PC is actually saying, even to players whose PCs are from the same area, OR in so far as to get the point across as to where they are from) then it is bad Rp, since it only takes away and adds nothing.  Since the apostrophe soup accents don't offer anything, due to lack of conformity (and this recognizability, yes I made that up) they don't have a point, except to make you feel special, and annoy others.  So they are bad Rp.  I'm not a sole arbiter here, I'm just pointing it out logically.

Anyway, this thread is done.  My position is unassailable.

Quote from: maxid on June 15, 2011, 04:01:16 PM
If it is indecipherable (either in so far as to what the PC is actually saying, even to players whose PCs are from the same area, OR in so far as to get the point across as to where they are from) then it is bad Rp, since it only takes away and adds nothing.  Since the apostrophe soup accents don't offer anything, due to lack of conformity (and this recognizability, yes I made that up) they don't have a point, except to make you feel special, and annoy others.  So they are bad Rp.  I'm not a sole arbiter here, I'm just pointing it out logically.

You were giving me grief over emulating a Southern accent, which is far from indecipherable, and said that was bad RP. I fail to see how it adds nothing and only takes away from the game. It does make me feel special, and I don't think it annoys others.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Since I started this thread I feel some responsibility to respond to the last seven pages (even though it's sort of a derail). I use apostrophies in my speech. But it's not an apostrophy soup or anything. And I don't think I do it in a way that even remotely sounds like a southern accent. I do things like instead of "The Byn" I would say "T'Byn". Or if my character is worked up, they may combine articles to nouns like "Just wait'a feckin' minute!" I think the way I do it makes my character sound gruff and jaded, far more than having a "Southern American accent."Adding apostrophies randomly would be bad grammar... if random. Apostrophies are supposed to represent certain syllables or parts of a word that's been left out of the actual speech, like when someone says '09 instead of 2009.

My point is I think apostrophies are fine if they are perfectly readable and are not just "random" cause when you read sentences made by players who use apostrophies, you're supposed to sound it out as if the apostrophies are just missing syllables or parts of the word that the character leaves out when they talk.

Quote from: Reiloth on June 15, 2011, 04:11:58 PM

You were giving me grief over emulating a Southern accent, which is far from indecipherable, and said that was bad RP. I fail to see how it adds nothing and only takes away from the game. It does make me feel special, and I don't think it annoys others.

Please reread what I wrote.  There is no standardization, thus rendering it pointless for adding information.

My position is unassailable.

Quote from: maxid on June 15, 2011, 04:44:29 PM

Please reread what I wrote.  There is no standardization, thus rendering it pointless for adding information.

Hah, you're also a dick about it.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

The mustachioed, curly-haired man says, in Spanish-accented English,
   "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Protip: when, in an internet argument, you have begun saying things that would comfortably fit into last-act dialogue for the villain in an action-adventure movie, you have gone off-course.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

If it is indecipherable (either in so far as to what the PC is actually saying, even to players whose PCs are from the same area, OR in so far as to get the point across as to where they are from) to me, as a player then it is bad Rp in my own opinion, since it only takes away and adds nothing in my own opinion.  Since the apostrophe soup accents don't offer anything (in my own opinion), due to lack of conformity (and this recognizability, yes I made that up) they don't have a point (in my own opinion), except to make you feel special (my assumption), and annoy others at least me.  So they are bad Rp in my own opinion.  I'm not a sole arbiter here, I'm just pointing it out logically.

Anyway, this thread is done in my own opinion.  My position is unassailable (in my own opinion).

You were giving me grief over emulating a Southern accent, which is far from indecipherable (in my own opinion), and said that was bad RP (in your own opinion). I fail to see how it adds nothing and only takes away from the game, but that is my own point of view. It does make me feel special, and I don't think it annoys others (but it could).

Please reread what I wrote.  There is no standardization (in my own opinion), thus rendering it pointless for adding information (in my own opinion).

My position is unassailable (in my own opinion).

Those are just, like...your opinions, man...
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

That's exactly what I was trying to say.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Words like 'unassailable' should be reserved for excellent mathematical proofs, not a roleplaying discussion.

Thanks Nyr.  :)

This is a thread done right.

Yep. Think Delirium won the thread though.

Summary - it's ok to have your opinions of RP style, it's not cool to impose them on others.

Without RP flavor, Arm just wouldn't taste as good.

June 16, 2011, 01:47:49 AM #271 Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:52:24 AM by NOFUN
Edit: Post was completely off topic. Sorry guis.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

Quote from: Nyr on June 15, 2011, 05:05:00 PM
Anyway, this thread is done in my own opinion.  My position is unassailable (in my own opinion).

Please reread what I wrote.  There is no standardization (in my own opinion), thus rendering it pointless for adding information (in my own opinion).

[/quote]

But there is no standardization.  The unassailable thing was tongue in cheek.  So while disliking the apostrophe soup manner of accenting is, in my opinion, dumb.  It is also an indecipherable method of adding to your character. 

That's not an opinion, that is a fact.  I'm not trolling, I'm not angry, and honestly I hate disagreeing with staff, but this is the GDB, discussion is it's purpose.  I mean it respectfully (I may have been more playful with other people) but, really, even the people who -use- the accents have agreed that there is no standardization, and so two people ICly from the same place, or even family, might be trying to prove the same thing, with wildly different apostrophe soups.

And I thought that I had made it pretty clear that the rest is just my opinion.  If I haven't, then I apologize.

God using apostrohphies aren't for adding accents. It's for sounding it certain words like you feel you're character would -exactly-

I guess you have no answer for my above post.

Quote from: maxid on June 16, 2011, 02:29:29 PM
Quote from: Nyr on June 15, 2011, 05:05:00 PM

But there is no standardization.  The unassailable thing was tongue in cheek.  So while disliking the apostrophe soup manner of accenting is, in my opinion, dumb.  It is also an indecipherable method of adding to your character. 

That's not an opinion, that is a fact.  I'm not trolling, I'm not angry, and honestly I hate disagreeing with staff, but this is the GDB, discussion is it's purpose.  I mean it respectfully (I may have been more playful with other people) but, really, even the people who -use- the accents have agreed that there is no standardization, and so two people ICly from the same place, or even family, might be trying to prove the same thing, with wildly different apostrophe soups.

And I thought that I had made it pretty clear that the rest is just my opinion.  If I haven't, then I apologize.
[/quote]

There's a lack of standardization to alot of things IG.

Standardization =/= good.