Big words!

Started by Intrepid237, June 05, 2011, 12:07:01 AM

Quote from: Intrepid237 on June 16, 2011, 03:55:45 PM
God using apostrohphies aren't for adding accents. It's for sounding it certain words like you feel you're character would -exactly-

I guess you have no answer for my above post.

accent
ac·cent/ˈaksent/
Verb: Emphasize (a particular feature).
Noun: A distinctive mode of pronunciation of a language, esp. one associated with a particular nation, locality, or social class.

You're a moron.  I'm sorry, everyone else in the thread has valid points, and opinions but you are actually a moron.  That is the literal definition of an accent.  So no, I don't have an answer to your above post, because it's moronic.  Just like the quoted post.  Please, understand the definition of words before you use them.

Qzzbrl - Without standardization, there is no ability for it to have any meaning.  I'm not pushing for standardization, I'm just bringing up that it renders it ineffective at telling a story.  Again - I don't care if you use it, but realistically, it doesn't add anything.

The apostrophes are a clue to how the accent works. The accents represented by the apostrophes are showing places where sounds are not expanded but rather compressed or dropped.

It's ok to disagree with people, it's really not nice to call them morons though.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on June 16, 2011, 06:25:47 PM
The apostrophes are a clue to how the accent works. The accents represented by the apostrophes are showing places where sounds are not expanded but rather compressed or dropped.

It's ok to disagree with people, it's really not nice to call them morons though.

Right.  So the apostrophes represent an accent.  You agree with me.

I agree with both of you.

If I'm at my kitchen table talking to my family I definitely don't have an accent in that context, how ever I may choose to slur or talk with my mouth full. And to illustrate what that sounds like I could use an apostrophe.

Both things can be true simultaneously.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Intrepid237 on June 16, 2011, 03:55:45 PM
God using apostrohphies aren't for adding accents. It's for sounding it certain words like you feel you're character would -exactly-

Um.  Actually, apostrophes are either for taking the place of letters that are removed when making two words into a contraction, or for showing possession.

That's my contribution to this thread that no longer has anything to do with "Big Words."

QuoteYou're a moron.  I'm sorry, everyone else in the thread has valid points, and opinions but you are actually a moron.  That is the literal definition of an accent.  So no, I don't have an answer to your above post, because it's moronic.  Just like the quoted post.  Please, understand the definition of words before you use them.

Which is why my IQ is 157. You're a troll. If my above post is moronic, then please explain master.

I think what Intrepid was trying to say with his recent posts that the apostrophe can be used to establish nuances within accents. If there is a divergence in accents between the south and north sides of a single city, then that basically proves there could be sub-accents within the established coded accents that players are allowed to express/not express as much as they wish.

This essentially gives players yet one more tool (in addition to choice of words, looks and manner of dress, etc) to make their characters seem like they're from Red Storm, or from the Commoner's Quarter of Allanak, or from the Noble's Quarter, or from the Warrens, or Morin's, or Poet's Circle, or seem smart or dumb, good with words or not so good, and so much more without asking staff to make dozens of unique sub-accents for people from different places or in different situations.

While an attention to sub-accents may not add anything for some players, it does add something for those who do make that an aspect of their roleplay, and for those who experience and analyze that when they play with others who use this.

Also, calling a relatively new member of our community a moron in his own derailed thread... let's try to avoid that in the future if we seriously want to discuss this topic.

June 16, 2011, 06:45:50 PM #282 Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:54:27 PM by maxid
Quote from: Intrepid237 on June 16, 2011, 06:38:18 PM
QuoteYou're a moron.  I'm sorry, everyone else in the thread has valid points, and opinions but you are actually a moron.  That is the literal definition of an accent.  So no, I don't have an answer to your above post, because it's moronic.  Just like the quoted post.  Please, understand the definition of words before you use them.

Which is why my IQ is 157. You're a troll. If my above post is moronic, then please explain master.

lol.  Sure it is.

Anyway.. You use apostrophes to show how your character is speaking right?  To show the way that s/he emphasizes, or clips words?  That's an accent.  The example you posted, has that happening.  I honestly don't even understand what you're arguing for/against.

Manipura - yes, that is their -actual- use.  that is not how they're used in apostrophe soup accents.  Which is what this thread has been about.  For the past 10 pages.

Cutthroat - As has been mentioned about fifteen times.  Sub-accents are used to make more information about the character known.  They are ineffective, because they are entirely random, so it's impossible to know anything more from the sub-accent.  I don't mind (and don't have the power to end) people using them.  It personally annoys me a little, but I mostly got into the discussion in this thread because I like to discuss, and this is a topic that's kinda easy to argue.

QuoteAnyway.. You use apostrophes to show how your character is speaking right?  To show the way that s/he emphasizes, or clips words?  That's an accent.  The example you posted, has that happening.  I honestly don't even understand what you're arguing for/against.

I'm not going to feed the troll any further. I posted one response on my own damn thread and you immediately shoot back calling me a moron. I'm suprised you haven't had your posting priveledges revoked. It's obvious the majority of people disagree with you but "your position is unassailable" Feck it.

Quote from: Intrepid237 on June 16, 2011, 06:58:25 PM
I'm not going to feed the troll any further. I posted one response on my own damn thread and you immediately shoot back calling me a moron. I'm suprised you haven't had your posting priveledges revoked. It's obvious the majority of people disagree with you but "your position is unassailable" Feck it.

It was not a troll.  I apologize that you are unwilling to participate in the discussion, but I am not trolling.  You posted something moronic.  I ignored it, in an attempt to let you reread what was said.  You posted an attempted call out, and I called you out on posting something dumb.  Now you're upset about it.  I understand that, I was a little harsh.  But I am a -far- cry from trolling.

QuoteIt was not a troll.  I apologize that you are unwilling to participate in the discussion, but I am not trolling.  You posted something moronic.  I ignored it, in an attempt to let you reread what was said.  You posted an attempted call out, and I called you out on posting something dumb.  Now you're upset about it.  I understand that, I was a little harsh.  But I am a -far- cry from trolling.

The only thing my post stated was there are ways to use apostrophies that aren't a representation of an american southern accent and that no one should use apostrophies to the point where it becomes unintelligable. If that's moronic thinking then sigh me up I guess.

ALL YOUR TROLL ARE BELONG TO US!

Quote from: maxid on June 16, 2011, 06:45:50 PM
Cutthroat - As has been mentioned about fifteen times.  Sub-accents are used to make more information about the character known.  They are ineffective, because they are entirely random, so it's impossible to know anything more from the sub-accent.  I don't mind (and don't have the power to end) people using them.  It personally annoys me a little, but I mostly got into the discussion in this thread because I like to discuss, and this is a topic that's kinda easy to argue.

Right, you're saying that. I'm saying the sub-accent comes together with other things to put the character on display in a certain way. It doesn't stand alone to show facts to the player.

Quote from: Intrepid237 on June 16, 2011, 07:04:55 PM
The only thing my post stated was there are ways to use apostrophies that aren't a representation of an american southern accent and that no one should use apostrophies to the point where it becomes unintelligable. If that's moronic thinking then sigh me up I guess.

ALL YOUR TROLL ARE BELONG TO US!

Repeatedly declaring someone a troll, despite evidence to the contrary, is a form of trolling.

Let me quote the post where you 'clarified' shall I?

Quote from: Intrepid237

I guess you have no answer for my above post.

This is why you were moronic, as it added to the first post.  Do you understand now?

Cutthroat - Other methods of identifying characterization (tattoos, style of dress, even weapon styles, etc.) are standardized and explained and relateable.  Apostrophe soup is not.  That is my only argument.  That is my only claim.  The subaccent you invent for Menos may be different than the one I do.  Thus, nobody is able to tell you intend to have your accent be because you're from Menos.

Ghost ... lock this thread.  ::)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

QuoteThis is why you were moronic, as it added to the first post.  Do you understand now?

Of course, they can't be used for making your character sound gruff or to emulate a speech impediment or drunkenness.

You're obviously no older than 15 cause people who act like you in person don't make it in life.

Quote from: musashi on June 16, 2011, 08:09:20 PM
Ghost ... lock this thread.  ::)

The relevance of this thread really got lost somewhere on page 4. After that, it's all just been arguing with Maxid.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

QuoteThe relevance of this thread really got lost somewhere on page 4. After that, it's all just been arguing with Maxid.

Agreed, my thread was derailed in the most obscene matter possible. And it's not a very good representation of the quality and ethics of the playerbase of this game.

Lock thread please :/

Quote from: Intrepid237 on June 16, 2011, 08:42:30 PM
QuoteThe relevance of this thread really got lost somewhere on page 4. After that, it's all just been arguing with Maxid.

Agreed, my thread was derailed in the most obscene matter possible. And it's not a very good representation of the quality and ethics of the playerbase of this game.

I am sorry about my part in the de-rail. I let myself get baited into an argument with a troll.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on June 16, 2011, 09:08:25 PM
Quote from: Intrepid237 on June 16, 2011, 08:42:30 PM

I am sorry about my part in the de-rail. I let myself get baited into an argument with a troll.

Yeah. This thread has obviously served its purpose, and the discussion is degenerating and going nowhere.

Quote from: maxid on June 16, 2011, 08:07:49 PM
Repeatedly declaring someone a troll, despite evidence to the contrary, is a form of trolling.

Oh look! A thinly-veiled "No u!"

Seriously though, the instant you resort to needless name-calling or getting personal with another poster during a serious discussion-- you start trolling.

Christ, why hasn't this thread been locked yet?

June 16, 2011, 11:59:25 PM #297 Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:02:13 AM by Reiloth
I think Nyr is enjoying watching it just go on, and on, and on...

Also, maxid, for future reference...

"1. Please don't flame. While you can criticize the opinions of other people, do so with respect for them as a fellow human.  Unneccessary, flaming, baiting and trolling will be removed and the instigator and respondees may have their posting privileges revoked.  This rule extends to criticism and baiting of staff. If you have a complaint against a staff member please place a complaint via the request tool, complaints and flaming of staff on the boards will not be tolerated."

I think all of us sort of played with this rule in this thread, and weren't really called out on it. Baiting people, calling people morons, etc isn't really a debate or discussion anymore.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

... Would a Zalanthan know what the word "anachronistic" means? And if a Zalanthan uses "hypothetically speaking", and they use it wrong... is that kind of like a Zalanthan trying to be a fancy guy, and totally doing it wrong? How about "In retrospect" and things like that? It seems like a Zalanthan can take words like hypothetical, retrospect, and you know... totally do it wrong, but impress his dumb buddies with these huge words.

Cool?

(Edit: Saellyn revives the thread and saves it!)

I think that would work, especially if he overheard someone more educated using the words earlier, either ICly or 'off-screen', as it may be.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.