You are stunned, and unable to move.

Started by Qzzrbl, September 04, 2010, 11:39:34 PM

So I was thinking earlier today.... About unconsciousness, and how much it totally blows ass in its current incarnation....

You get punched out at the Gaj? You're knocked out for around twenty minutes.

You fall into goddamn motherfucking five-room-deep fall of death cavern crack in the earth.... You're knocked out for around twenty minutes.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks this is.... Well, broken.

My suggestion?

Expound upon the "Stunned" status a bit

I've seen my fair share of knockouts.... Kids fighting in school, UFC, boxing, etc., etc., etc.... And I've never seen anyone knocked flat on their ass, completely unconscious..... All I usually see, are people getting "stunned".

Still conscious, can still hear, see.... But unable to do much else...

I think it'd be pretty damn awesome for there to be a "stunned" stage based off of, you guessed it, stun points, that comes before "completely knocked the FWAUCK out!".

.... Discuss.

For what it's worth, I have been knocked completely unconscious in the blink of an eye before. It does happen if the right pressure is applied to one's noggin at the right times.

However, I agree that it should be a lot less common than it is, and it would be cool if there was a whole spectrum of unconsciousness as opposed to completely awake vs. completely KOed.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on September 04, 2010, 11:42:10 PM
For what it's worth, I have been knocked completely unconscious in the blink of an eye before. It does happen if the right pressure is applied to one's noggin at the right times.

Very true, it's quite possible..... But it's not -nearly- as prevalent IRL as it is IG.

I've also been rendered unconscious, twice. Both times were less than 5 mins, although this is mere speculation since I didn't have a stopwatch and this is what I was told.

If anything, I think the 'knock-out' time should be greatly lessened, since 20 minutes is a long time even in real life. I can't imagine anyone getting knocked out for two whole hours, unless they were in critical condition.

1-2 mins of being knocked out would be long enough, in my humble opinion, with 5 mins as a maximum, if not a whole 10 mins if your character is in critical condition, or -severely- bonked on the head.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 04, 2010, 11:44:28 PM
Very true, it's quite possible..... But it's not -nearly- as prevalent IRL as it is IG.

Drawing comparisons between this game world and the real world is a bit moot, don't you think?

In the real world, you aren't routinely getting clubbed in the head.

In the real world, you aren't fighting nasty creatures twice the size of a man.

I need not go on.

I think the unconscious timer can and should be reduced, but not by much. I'm also acting under the assumption that endurance affects the duration in which you're ko'd. I could be wrong.
The man wears his heavy war-saddle on his back, covering a tattoo

Crawling up on all fours, the man sits on a sturdy bed

The man sends you a telepathic message:
     "Alright, you got to tame a wild one today."

Quote from: Kiara on September 05, 2010, 02:12:48 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 04, 2010, 11:44:28 PM

Drawing comparisons between this game world and the real world is a bit moot, don't you think?

NO, wait you can.

In the real world, you aren't routinely getting clubbed in the head.

Sure, happens all the time, when i go dancing, drink a lot, next day i wake up with a blazing headache and no memory.. I got clubbed.

In the real world, you aren't fighting nasty creatures twice the size of a man.

Sure we do, thy are called -corporations-.

I need not go on.

Please do, this is fun.

I think the unconscious timer can and should be reduced, but not by much. I'm also acting under the assumption that endurance affects the duration in which you're ko'd. I could be wrong.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

The KO timer does not discriminate on endurance.

The KO timer doesn't discriminate at all, so far as I can tell.  I may be wrong, though.  I've played some people that've been knocked the fuck out, too, for various reasons.

Still, I think the better solution would be to simply allow for negative stun, and when you're at 0 or less you are unconscious.  Then, your normal regen would take care of getting you conscious.  Simple, efficient, effective and realistic, I think.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

I always figured normal stunning effects you'd have during combat is represented by reels, so a separate stun stage when you're stun points have dropped to zero is unnecessary.

Definitely agree on the reduced duration, though. It sucks when you're playing solo and get knocked out due to a fall and just get to sit on your thumbs for twenty minutes, and it sucks even more when you cause other people to be held up or just wait on you to come to for the whole duration. 5 or 10 minutes should be long enough.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on September 05, 2010, 12:45:29 PM
I always figured normal stunning effects you'd have during combat is represented by reels, so a separate stun stage when you're stun points have dropped to zero is unnecessary.

Definitely agree on the reduced duration, though. It sucks when you're playing solo and get knocked out due to a fall and just get to sit on your thumbs for twenty minutes, and it sucks even more when you cause other people to be held up or just wait on you to come to for the whole duration. 5 or 10 minutes should be long enough.

Well, I suggest the "stunned" stage, so your character is not completely dead to the world after merely being punched out by a guy who stops as soon as you lose your balance and fall.

Falling off of a mountain, betting bitten in the head by a mek, taking a warhammer to the skull.... Those would all more than likely entail pure unconsciousness.

Also! From what I can tell, being "stunned" can be based off of a number, meaning you'll wake up and regain your composure based off your rate of recovery and how far over that line you went.

Unlike regular unconsciousness, which is pretty much, "You're awake." and "Go use the bathroom or make a sammich dude, your character's not getting up anytime soon."

I've had unconciousness last less than 10 seconds.  I've had it last almost an hour.

Yes.  It sucks to be knocked unconscious.  My suggestion?  Be more wary of it.  Realize climbing something can ultimately end up with you knocked out.  That bar fight can end up with you knocked out.  Look at that dude's weapons, he might knock you out before you fight.

It's a world of survival.  Think.  I don't think timers need to be reduced simply because what -that- does is make it so that whenever you -do- get knocked out, everyone has to hurry to do anything, which means the next complaint will be that no one plays with you when you get knocked out, they just steal all your shit and kill you.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

September 05, 2010, 02:31:28 PM #11 Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:34:43 PM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: Armaddict on September 05, 2010, 02:27:03 PM
I've had unconciousness last less than 10 seconds.

... I don't believe you.

I've had char's knocked out by falls, by sap, by poisons, by muls, by half-giants, by humans, by dwarves, by elves, by gith, by halflings, by NPCs, by PCs, by magick, by a whole bunch of other shit....

And I've -never- had it end with any less than twenty or so minutes of staring blankly at the screen.

The only reason I made this thread, is because something just seems broken when that -one little- tap on the head after a long brawl barely drops you to 0 stun points knocks you out for about as long as a fall off the Shield Wall does.

I think the average knockout time could be maybe halved.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Barfights cannot end in knockouts. There are IC code measures in effect to prevent such an incident. Unless your character has exceptionally low stun.

And the only way a knockout will last less than twenty minutes is with the intervention of anti-knockout supplies such as smelling salts.

I'd find it super nice if the length of time you were knocked out was ranged based on endurance, and randomized a little bit more.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

For the sake of playability and enjoyment of the role and the game, I believe it needs to be changed to something less realistic.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Less realistic than being knocked out for 2 - 3 IG hours?

I got KOd falling off a wall once.  Lasted all of a minute.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: Armaddict on September 05, 2010, 02:27:03 PM
I've had unconciousness last less than 10 seconds.  I've had it last almost an hour.

Yes.  It sucks to be knocked unconscious.  My suggestion?  Be more wary of it.  Realize climbing something can ultimately end up with you knocked out.  That bar fight can end up with you knocked out.  Look at that dude's weapons, he might knock you out before you fight.

It's a world of survival.  Think.  I don't think timers need to be reduced simply because what -that- does is make it so that whenever you -do- get knocked out, everyone has to hurry to do anything, which means the next complaint will be that no one plays with you when you get knocked out, they just steal all your shit and kill you.

Accidental, harmless bouts of unconsciousness are too common for the long knockout time to be any fun. You shouldn't lose 20 minutes of gameplay because you weren't watching your stun meter while you were waying with a new character. You shouldn't be sleeping in the middle of an alley for two IG hours because you critically fail a climb check (while still in the ground level room!).

Other instances of you getting knocked out don't really need the whole 20 minutes.  It takes less than 20 minutes to kill an unconscious person. It takes less than 20 minutes for a prankster Trooper to toss an unconscious Runner into the latrines. It takes less than 20 minutes to rob someone who is lights out. It takes less than 20 minutes to subdue an unconscious person. The only situations I can imagine where you would need someone to be knocked out for a long period of time are either extremely unrealistic (oops, you can't move that unconscious half-giant from Allanak to your sekrit cave in the desert because when he wakes up after two hours he'll break your subdue) or easily remedied (The annoying half-giant's eyes flutter open -> >sap giant).

I'd bet most of the time the unconciousness timer isn't giving people time to do things while you're out; rather, it's forcing them to wait for you because no one has smelling salts or other things available. And most instances of unconsciousness aren't even affecting other players besides giving them a chance to stumble across your body and loot you.

Agreed. Scale that knockout way down. And make the max time out 5 minutes. I can live with that.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Yeah, not all knockouts are created equal. If you watch boxing, you know that most fights that end in 'knockout' don't mean the other guy is laying on his back unconscious. It's more like he's stunned and unable to get his wits together. He looks around the ring, dazed and confused, and his legs might as well be made of jelly. Then again, you can also find clips on youtube of guys really getting knocked out cold. One can only imagine the kind of unconsciousness that would follow the beating a half-giant could put on you, assuming you even lived to tell the tale.

The problem is it is a binary state like so many other things in the code. It would be better represented by degrees of incapacitation. Given the limitations, I think it is better to keep things as it is, simply because you should not be able to get up anytime soon if a half giant whacks you in the head with a log. In the course of playing the game, I don't find my character knocked out very often. I think it should remain a very inconvenient and dangerous position to put your character in.

Sure, scale knockout times down, but not too much. Sometimes I like to toss out a few emotes before slashing an unconscious person's throat, and if I knew I only had like 30 seconds, I might skip the detailed emotes and just get straight to the throat cuttin'.

Make knockout go negative with a reasonable regeneration. As an alternative idea.

Personally I think sap is overpowered. Just by taking Thug subguild you have at your disposal an attack arguable more deadly than backstab. It's just as lethal too, since once your down, you can be easily finished off. Death by sapping, whilst walking down the city streets, is cheap, unfair and highly not fun.
Just remove sap all together. The rest that make you pass out can be mostly avoided unless you go looking for trouble.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

September 06, 2010, 04:14:34 AM #23 Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 04:16:20 AM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: Scarecrow on September 06, 2010, 04:06:47 AM
Personally I think sap is overpowered. Just by taking Thug subguild you have at your disposal an attack arguable more deadly than backstab. It's just as lethal too, since once your down, you can be easily finished off. Death by sapping, whilst walking down the city streets, is cheap, unfair and highly not fun.
Just remove sap all together. The rest that make you pass out can be mostly avoided unless you go looking for trouble.

Just like warriors, backstab,  poisoning,  archery,  throwing, the reel code, and unarmed giants/muls, yeah?

I don't know about those other things, but sap is too powerful in my opinion.

Quote from: Scarecrow on September 06, 2010, 04:18:22 AM
I don't know about those other things, but sap is too powerful in my opinion.

Damn near every skill related to combat could be considered overpowered at high levels. x-X

I know, but I don't mind those others. Sap just feels cold and unsatisfying, I might be biased because I lost a beloved character to some douche who city street sapped and murdered him (thus ruining several delicately crafted plots and hugely rich potential) but sap is not fun. I don't like sap.

I hate to break it to you--but just about every way you die in this game is unsatisfying, quick, brutal, and often leaves you with no clue to how it happened exactly.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Scarecrow on September 06, 2010, 04:32:39 AM
Sap just feels cold and unsatisfying.

I feel ya there man.... Just about everything that sends you to the mantis-head post-haste before you get a chance to do anything is that way, pretty much.

You'll eventually learn there's a ridiculous amount of things other entirely mundane PCs can do to kill you before you even know what's going on. D:

Death ain't pretty.... Ain't supposed to be. <3 Arm for reflecting that.

I know Zalanthas can be like that, but all I'm saying is I think sap is overpowered. And it's the only death of a character i've had which was totally out of blue, totally unknown to the reason and totally annoying. I could  handle pretty much any death but that. I was so irritated by it I almost quit Armageddon entirely, but didn't since I'm too addicted to ever quit.

Quote from: Scarecrow on September 06, 2010, 04:43:26 AM
I know Zalanthas can be like that, but all I'm saying is I think sap is overpowered. And it's the only death of a character i've had which was totally out of blue, totally unknown to the reason and totally annoying. I could  handle pretty much any death but that. I was so irritated by it I almost quit Armageddon entirely, but didn't since I'm too addicted to ever quit.

At least you went out quickly and relatively quietly.

Nothing's worst than a reel-lock death that has you spamming "flee" as you watch your HP chip away.... But really, there's nothing at all you can do about it.

ANYHOW!

Back to the discussion at hand, kiddies.

Quote from: Is Friday on September 06, 2010, 04:40:08 AM
I hate to break it to you--but just about every way you die in this game is unsatisfying, quick, brutal, and often leaves you with no clue to how it happened exactly.
The man wears his heavy war-saddle on his back, covering a tattoo

Crawling up on all fours, the man sits on a sturdy bed

The man sends you a telepathic message:
     "Alright, you got to tame a wild one today."

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 06, 2010, 01:22:24 AMMake knockout go negative with a reasonable regeneration. As an alternative idea.
Quote from: Marshmellow on September 05, 2010, 12:12:18 PMStill, I think the better solution would be to simply allow for negative stun, and when you're at 0 or less you are unconscious.  Then, your normal regen would take care of getting you conscious.  Simple, efficient, effective and realistic, I think.

I have been dazed several times. I've gone into shock twice. I've also been KO'ed twice.

It would be cool if you were severely dazed if you were in the range of 0 - 10 stun. If you move, or do anything requiring stamina, hp, or stun, you will incapacitate yourself.
It would be cool if you were knocked out when you hit -10 - 0 stamina, but for only about ten minutes, then you would be dazed for a while.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on September 06, 2010, 04:29:50 PM
It would be cool if you were severely dazed if you were in the range of 0 - 10 stun. If you move, or do anything requiring stamina, hp, or stun, you will incapacitate yourself.
It would be cool if you were knocked out when you hit -10 - 0 stamina, but for only about ten minutes, then you would be dazed for a while.

Agreed.  I have seen people knocked old cold before, but it was usually from being choked out (read: strangle or carotid restraint).  This is a little bit different, I am sure, but usually results in fewer than 30 seconds of pure, limp fish, lying cold on the floor, followed by several minutes of disorientation, and the rest of the day feeling off and (oddly) slightly euphoric.  Instead of incapping yourself while trying to perform actions in the 0-10 or post awakening stage, why not just apply a very similar code to the drunk code?

You are affected by:
   Head Trauma

>w
You attempt to walk, but trip and fall on your face.

The one good thing I see in the current coded implementation is that it reinforces the idea that getting knocked out is a BAD thing.  Getting knocked out by stranglehold is (theoretically) not permanently damaging, but it does leave one in an odd state for a few hours in which performing other physically or mentally demanding tasks would probably be a bad idea.  Getting knocked out by blunt force trauma could only be worse, I would think, with the very real possibility of permanent mental damage, besides.  If reducing the KO time is going to have people bouncing up and saying, " I was only out for 30 seconds, I'm good for another round," honestly, I'd say it would be better to leave it as is.  (Besides, people get knocked out for 2-3 hours all the time in movies, right?   ;))
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

The only think I WOULDN'T change, is being knocked out due to booze. More often than not, when you black out, you are as such for a few hours.

Not sure if these are two different things codely, but this should be taken into consideration.

1. I've been knocked out two times, both lasted 5 minutes or so. So, a knock to the head, should just be reflected as 5 minutes in game, after Zalanthians aren't human, apparently they have weaker brains and they get knocked out for thirty minutes.

2. Falling unconcious due to being hacked to death, should remain as is. I.E. -HP. It sucks waiting 20 minutes or so for this, but if I hack you up with a sword in RL, you're likely going to bleed out, not heal, so this can remain.

3. Drinking, I've passed out until the next morning, so keep it as is.

Quote from: Marshmellow on September 06, 2010, 12:15:29 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 06, 2010, 01:22:24 AMMake knockout go negative with a reasonable regeneration. As an alternative idea.
Quote from: Marshmellow on September 05, 2010, 12:12:18 PMStill, I think the better solution would be to simply allow for negative stun, and when you're at 0 or less you are unconscious.  Then, your normal regen would take care of getting you conscious.  Simple, efficient, effective and realistic, I think.

Great minds, and all that jazz.

I've been knocked out before, too. Actually, I got the wind knocked out of me and forgot how to breathe for minute. I would estimate the amount of time I was unconscious at less than thirty seconds. That doesn't mean knockouts in Arm should last thirty seconds. The point is, all knockouts are not created equal, and they would be better represented by a continuum that starts with 'collapsing from overuse of the Way' and extending to 'bashed over the head with a baobab log by a half giant.'

And yeah, I think the negative stun idea is a good move in that direction.

Yep. I can get behind this. Someone punched by a giant when they had 1 stun point to begin with should certianly be out longer than someone who was punched when they had 40 stun to begin with.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on September 07, 2010, 01:15:14 AM
Yep. I can get behind this. Someone punched by a giant when they had 1 stun point to begin with should certianly be out longer than someone who was punched when they had 40 stun to begin with.

I'd say that's even better than my original idea.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 07, 2010, 01:32:44 AM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on September 07, 2010, 01:15:14 AM

I'd say that's even better than my original idea.

+1

That way "You slip and land on your neck!" doing however much stun damage it does for a critically failed ride or climb check will still knock out low endurance characters, but they'll recover quickly and instead just be disoriented for a while.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 04, 2010, 11:39:34 PM
I've seen my fair share of knockouts.... Kids fighting in school, UFC, boxing, etc., etc., etc.... And I've never seen anyone knocked flat on their ass, completely unconscious..... All I usually see, are people getting "stunned".

Still conscious, can still hear, see.... But unable to do much else...

I think it'd be pretty damn awesome for there to be a "stunned" stage based off of, you guessed it, stun points, that comes before "completely knocked the FWAUCK out!".

.... Discuss.

Most concussions do not lead to going completely unconscious. The classic tv *hit them on the head once to completely knocks them out* really would be the exception to the rule. I think it would be pretty badass to have a range (like 0 to -10 stun) where you are conscious but completely helpless.

I have no idea how hard this would be to implement, but it also might be neat to have everything you see/hear garbled when you are stunned.   

Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 04, 2010, 11:39:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40-Nr6lKNMU

Had to.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

The problem with having short, unpredictable stunned timelengths is that it's a bother for people who need to disable a person, but dont want to kill him. Sometimes, you're doing something truly risky. You're shaking in your boots really, you knock the person out and hurrying to do whatever it is, before he wakes up. Especially if it's the type of person that does an <stand/insta run> kind of thing. This way, the knock out is pretty reliable so you can do your thing and keep the other chara living. Being more unpredictable, it just improves the chances of deciding to just off the chara completely, and then do your thing in comfort.

September 07, 2010, 01:22:52 PM #44 Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 01:26:28 PM by hyzhenhok
Quote from: Dar on September 07, 2010, 12:55:27 PM
The problem with having short, unpredictable stunned timelengths is that it's a bother for people who need to disable a person, but dont want to kill him. Sometimes, you're doing something truly risky. You're shaking in your boots really, you knock the person out and hurrying to do whatever it is, before he wakes up. Especially if it's the type of person that does an <stand/insta run> kind of thing. This way, the knock out is pretty reliable so you can do your thing and keep the other chara living. Being more unpredictable, it just improves the chances of deciding to just off the chara completely, and then do your thing in comfort.

If you need to do a "thing" that required them to be completely incapacitated for more than an IG hour but you don't have a place to lock, a friend to watch over them or some other plan to deal with them, it's probably more realistic that you would kill them anyway. And the point is kind of that it really isn't realistic for you to be relying on a 2 hour knockout for doing whatever "thing" you're doing; if you need the entire knockout duration, chances are it's unrealistic. If someone with maxed sap has to get a friend with subdue or secure a lockable room or cage or has to make the decision to kill the person (and deal with the ensuing consequences), IMO that's all the better.

I'm thinking it would be sweet to have a -10 to 0 range where you're stunned.  If your stun goes below -10, you're knock unconscious and it takes 5 minutes to recover to -10. From -10 it then takes about 5 more minutes to get to 0 depending on your natural stun regen, where you then regain control of your character. People only dropped to -5 or -1 stun recover much faster. You can sap or punch a stunned person to put their lights out if you want the guaranteed maximum incapacitation.

If we go with negative stun and you knock someone out, just punch them a few more times for more stun damage to put them even further into unconscious.  If there's a partly-stunned state, like 0 to -10 like there is for hit points, where a character is conscious but helpless while in that range, whoever had this person KO'd could punch them again while they're still helpless and put the victim back into unconsciousness easily enough.

There should be negative stun, but when recovering from being thrown into negative stun, it should be about the same recovery rate as healing while put into negative HP range.

The simple answer is the source of KO;

Falling several stories could leave you dead or in a coma, let alone KO'd.  Arm's KO time is probably good here.

Getting KO'd in a fight rarely lasts more then a minute or two, but is very dependent on the source.  Busting a giant stone club over a head is more like the first example, getting punched out is radically less enduring.

And then way KO.  This should likely only last for a very brief moment.

I suppose I should weigh in.

First, yes, KO durations are quite silly, they should never last more then 5 minutes RL, I mean come on, that is still .5 hours IG.

Second, No, I don't think anything else should change.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

September 07, 2010, 05:01:14 PM #49 Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:05:40 PM by roughneck
I wouldn't mind have -10 stun points before you're out cold.  From 0 to -10 you would be stunned, awake but unable to do anything and you snap out of it much faster but if you drop below that -10 you're in a coma sonny and you deal with the 20 minute wait in place now.  Although with stun damage the way it is 10 points isn't much of a buffer.

edit to add - Or equal number of stun points in the negatives and you regain them at your endurance rate.  Below 0 you're out cold and if you use them all up, you're dead.  Rp being stunned under half if you're really into that.

September 07, 2010, 05:03:39 PM #50 Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:05:38 PM by MeTekillot
Quote from: roughneck on September 07, 2010, 05:01:14 PM
I wouldn't mind have -10 stun points before you're out cold.  From 0 to -10 you would be stunned, awake but unable to do anything and you snap out of it much faster but if you drop below that -10 you're in a coma sonny and you deal with the 20 minute wait in place now.  Although with stun damage the way it is 10 points isn't much of a buffer.

173hp 194mv 185st>
The beefy dwarf hits at you, but you dodge out of the way.
The beefy dwarf hits you, nicking your body.

172hp 194mv 100st>
The beefy dwarf hits at you, grazing your head.
Your vision goes black.
170hp 194mv -42st>

September 09, 2010, 12:33:05 AM #51 Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:35:09 AM by Qeynos
Would be nice with some variety based on the cause of unconsciousness. It's a bit too black and white, and the code doesn't appear to care whether you were knocked out by falling head first off the Shield Wall or by over-taxing your psionic contact by a few points. In general, I dislike how the stun resource is connected to so many different things, from having its maximum value reduced up to several times by various toggled abilities to governing both clubs to the head and telepathy all with the same resource. Watching a doorway or eavesdropping at the bar shouldn't make you more likely to drop lights-out if somebody punches you in the nose. There really ought to be a concentration resource that takes care of psionics and scan/watch/listen/guard so that stun can remain the physical aspect of consciousness. Depending on your stats, it's possible to have barrier cut your stun maximum in half by itself.

On a side note, what the hell is up with climb crit-fail? Is this a bug or something?

Just because you see zero, doesn't mean that there isn't negative stun in the background that is determining how long you are knocked out for.

Shortest time knocked out was around 1.5 seconds.  Knocked out by an aggressive NPC, had time to stand and scamper off before it tried to kill me again.

Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Twilight on September 14, 2010, 03:04:01 PM
Just because you see zero, doesn't mean that there isn't negative stun in the background that is determining how long you are knocked out for.

If there is, it sure as hell isn't prevalent enough.

As I've said earlier, I've been knocked out -alot- IG.... Haven't noticed any real difference in the knockout times.

Quote from: Twilight on September 14, 2010, 03:04:01 PM

Shortest time knocked out was around 1.5 seconds.  Knocked out by an aggressive NPC, had time to stand and scamper off before it tried to kill me again.

The deviation is almost certainly random, otherwise you wouldn't have 10 minute knockouts from overusing the Way.

Quote from: X-D on September 07, 2010, 03:43:40 PM
I suppose I should weigh in.

First, yes, KO durations are quite silly, they should never last more then 5 minutes RL, I mean come on, that is still .5 hours IG.

Second, No, I don't think anything else should change.

Woop, woop. Sort of agree here. No need to make the system complicated. It's a game, a story, a comic book narrative. I want to be able to clean cold knock out someone. Just to be a bad motherfucker.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

I say we implement going into an extended coma for the sake of realism.

If I fall off my mount I want there to be a chance that I hit my head on a rock and can't wake up for three in game years.

In other words. Current KO times are a little longer than I would like to see, but I always use it as a time to go get some chore or another done.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: Dan on September 16, 2010, 08:14:14 PM

If I fall off my mount I want there to be a chance that I hit my head on a rock and can't wake up for three in game years.

But what if you wake up with superpowers?
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on September 17, 2010, 03:36:09 AM

Or a british accent? It can happen.

Quote from: Scarecrow on September 18, 2010, 09:27:43 PM
Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on September 17, 2010, 03:36:09 AM

Or a british accent? It can happen.

I know a british accent has definitely happened to me.